New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 262315)

It's time to go threaded.

By harryhoudini

8 months ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by Isochronic_Frost
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 months ago

With some of these mega threads going on it's become very apparent that a threaded discussion format could really benefit this site. Really, the linear format can stay and run in parallel because some people will probably prefer that but a threaded system like reddit is almost a necessity for one simple reason. The "fluff" posts that accompany the larger discussions just get in the way. I can have 200 unread posts in a thread and maybe 10 will have any sort of valuable content. The rest are just memes and people bitching at each other that could be hidden in some downvoted thread that I don't have to read. Right now there is no way to filter content at all. This basically makes me not want to participate in them. I end up losing important details because I don't read 500+ posts a day in 5 different threads.

I bring this up not just because I would personally enjoy it but this site sort of gets to live in a silo and I think time will eventually catch up with it. The mobile version is quite load heavy even on a newer phone. Moving to a threaded system will allow much more freedom to read what you want, load what you want and ignore the rest. While the system might not track a hierarchy right now of replies, adding that in shouldn't be terrible. I'd even pay a higher sponsorship price for the site if that were a benefit.

Does anyone else see this as a growing need?

#2 8 months ago

What would that look like?

#3 8 months ago

The way reddit implements it is a hierarchy with collapsable branches that can be voted on and sorted by various filters. Here's a quick video to make it easier:

https://video.drift.com/v/ab2Y5JPaHs6/

#4 8 months ago

Oh and one thing I forgot to mention which is sort of a large part, there are no pages. You don't have to navigate within a thread, everything is on one page.

Many sites implement the option for flat or threaded. Flat would continue to be a timeline of posts which you can read in order, paged. Threaded could be a view of the same content but in a more condensed and organized format.

#5 8 months ago
    Quoted from harryhoudini:

Does anyone else see this as a growing need?

I could see it as a huge asset. My browsing habits on pinside (in the long threads, at least), is to scroll down only looking at the number of upvotes a comment has. Generally speaking, I'll start out only reading posts with yellow pop bumpers, but as my patience thins, and my interest wanes, I'll skip right to dark green pop bumper comments--almost ignoring the others entirely.

The reddit style would make long club/manufacturer threads MUCH more helpful, as it would automatically order comments pretty much how I already habitually read them.

#6 8 months ago

My personal interest is simply trying to keep up with club threads for games I have. Especially newer ones. I can't read 1k R&M posts every day especially when 90% of them are "yea well you're this kind of so and so" ... blah. Then I have no idea what I might have missed and sometimes important information is there.

#7 8 months ago

The way reddit implements it is a hierarchy with collapsable branches that can be voted on and sorted by various filters. Here's a quick video to make it easier:
    https://video.drift.com/v/ab2Y5JPaHs6/

I honestly hate reddit because it makes for a confusing, disorganized and convoluted thread structure. You can’t follow the chronological posts at all because it’s sorted by bullshit filters constantly.

HOWEVER, the key post feature could be improved and possible a filter for “only show posts with X # of upvotes” would really be beneficial. Then people would be more active in the voting system to make sure good content is seen!

Oh and one thing I forgot to mention which is sort of a large part, there are no pages. You don't have to navigate within a thread, everything is on one page.
    Many sites implement the option for flat or threaded. Flat would continue to be a timeline of posts which you can read in order, paged. Threaded could be a view of the same content but in a more condensed and organized format.

I really would love to have a version of Pinside that I can use at home with endless scrolling. Pages are handy on mobile, but a pain for big, juicy threads.

Maybe also a “Don’t show any posts with x number of downvotes” that might thin threads better

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 29.95
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 700.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    Lighting - Led
    Comet Pinball
    Flipper Parts
    TheDudeMods
    Tools
    Troxel Repair
    $ 194.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 69.50
    Boards
    Pinball Haus
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    € 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 109.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 25.50
    $ 149.99
    Lighting - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 36.99
    Playfield - Other
    Pinball Stuff
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Haus

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside