(Topic ID: 292195)

It's almost BBQ time! What do you put on your hot dogs?

By ForceFlow

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What do you put on your hot dogs?”

• Ketchup 56 votes
      10%
    • Mustard 120 votes
      21%
    • Onions 78 votes
      14%
    • Relish 55 votes
      10%
    • BBQ Sauce 10 votes
      2%
    • Chili 52 votes
      9%
    • Coleslaw 7 votes
      1%
    • Sauerkraut 34 votes
      6%
    • Peppers 15 votes
      3%
    • Jalapeño 15 votes
      3%
    • Cheese 39 votes
      7%
    • Mayo 11 votes
      2%
    • Other 7 votes
      1%
    • Nothing 6 votes
      1%
    • Hot dogs? Ewww 5 votes
      1%
    • Pickles 16 votes
      3%
    • Celery Salt 15 votes
      3%
    • Tomato 11 votes
      2%
    • Peanut Butter 0 votes
    • Bacon 8 votes
      1%

(Multiple choice - 560 votes by 158 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SmartSelect_20210427-231213_Chrome (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    elv (resized).jpg
    D555E17A-F147-4A4B-8716-15381B490751 (resized).jpeg
    20210426_111718 (resized).jpg
    3284CC3A-CD56-46F1-BD3E-30AC27916C85 (resized).jpeg
    00865245-30B7-4A53-9E5F-4BDC0FF04696 (resized).jpeg
    CA979E07-FAB9-4216-A0CD-313D7F36B13E (resized).jpeg
    D77820AD-951B-47FF-BDE7-DE8A5FF30A3D (resized).jpeg
    3272E93E-4E03-4042-AF0D-E77EB505AABA (resized).jpeg
    DSC00500 (resized).JPG
    img_eddies_logo (resized).png
    coney (resized).png
    There are 156 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

ound poppy seed buns at safeway in cali.

Doesn't look like there are any of those near me.

#52 3 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Nothing beats superdawg in chicago.

Superdawg is good, but I prefer Portillo's (now one is very close with new one opening in Springfield, IL)

port (resized).jpgport (resized).jpgport2 (resized).jpgport2 (resized).jpg
    #53 3 years ago

First off let me state as others have that BBQ is not a verb

There was this hot dog joint in Norfolk that used to serve hotdogs with mustard onions and chili. If you didn't like them that way or asked for them any other way the guy would tell you to just leave

#54 3 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

Me too, it really does make a difference IMO

this is new to me I will try it,might have to make some bloody marys with the celery salt out

#55 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

this is new to me I will try it,might have to make some bloody marys with the celery salt out

It’s delicious, sodium on top of sodium

#56 3 years ago
    Quoted from latenite04:

Mustard, Meat Sauce (Chili), Onions... All over mac salad and home fries. Preferably a white hot but this might just be an odd western ny thing.
    [quoted image]

mmmmm garbage plate

#57 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

chili no beans is best if you want chili and i do but not everytime,The Bagel dogs around here are awesome.Why limit yourself your worth it try everything atleast once.

I tried to smoke some crawdads but they kept clogging up my bong

I will eat a hotdog with anything but ketchup however a proper coney will always be closest to my heart.

All food in my house consumed after lunch is paired with bong rips so pretty much anything goes.

#58 3 years ago
    18E17946-FDBE-4696-A734-88DE8993A214 (resized).jpeg18E17946-FDBE-4696-A734-88DE8993A214 (resized).jpeg
    #59 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lopa:

I will eat a hotdog with anything but ketchup however a proper coney will always be closest to my heart.
    All food in my house consumed after lunch is paired with bong rips so pretty much anything goes.

I’m in Dearborn quite a bit, and Coney’s are tasty!

#60 3 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

[quoted image]

I eat a bunch of different peppers but have never heard of sport peppers.I have never tried a pepper and not liked it.

#61 3 years ago
    download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpgwickles (resized).jpgwickles (resized).jpg
    #62 3 years ago

Wheres the option for celery salt? Has no one ever been to Chicago?

#63 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

I eat a bunch of different peppers but have never heard of sport peppers.I have never tried a pepper and not liked it.

It’s like a mini jalapeño but less heat and sweeter. I can eat them straight up. Yummy

#64 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Wheres the option for celery salt? Has no one ever been to Chicago?

I guess that falls in the other category

#65 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

You can get them through Amazon pretty cheap

0F91D14E-046B-4242-8856-0278F446748C (resized).png0F91D14E-046B-4242-8856-0278F446748C (resized).png
    #66 3 years ago

Hot dogs are not BBQ, it's grilling

BBQ is slow cooked meat, preferably pork

Now a damn good BBQ sandwich is a hamburger bun with some pulled pork, some BBQ sauce, and a layer of coleslaw. That's good eating

Sometimes I'll grill brauts and I like a good mustard like this

81g3+wplzbL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg81g3+wplzbL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg

Or I'll get a New York dog with brown mustard, onion, and kraut.

I don't like ketchup in general. I'm fine if it's on my burger or whatever, but I don't add it on purpose. It's mostly just sugar.

#67 3 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

I guess that falls in the other category

Ok, just added pickles, celery salt, and tomatoes. I had no idea that those were options, lol

#68 3 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

3rd generation family member who still puts peanut butter on my hot dog. Try it.

tenor.giftenor.gif

That's the first time I've ever heard that.

I'll have peanut butter on crackers, sandwiches, or as a veggie dip, but I can't imagine a pairing like hot dogs and peanut butter

#69 3 years ago

Mustard, and if available *grilled* onions. Snappy casing is preferred.

Don't really care for hot dogs much, though.

#70 3 years ago
    Quoted from NashtyFunk:

That's grilling, not BBQing.

Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Oh, please. It's a variation of barbequing. Look it up.

The whole gathering is called a barbeque! No one says come over for a grilling!

Ok, I admit that I am an uncultured heathen from the North. Up here, having a BBQ is really just opening a up grill (we usually call it a barbecue) and throwing on some hot dogs, burgers, kielbasi, wurst, chicken, steak, or whatever else. I know in the south it is very different and most folks down there take their BBQing and/or grilling very seriously. I didn't mean to cause any upset

#71 3 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Hot dogs are not BBQ, it's grilling

A lot of people call grills "BBQs"

#72 3 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Oh, please. It's a variation of barbequing. Look it up.
    The whole gathering is called a barbeque! No one says come over for a grilling!
    If you want real controversy, try telling me I can't put noodles in my chili!

It's probably a regional thing. Around here a BBQ and a cookout are two different things and types of party. A BBQ is an all day affair of slow cooking food and drinking which may or may not include grilling. A cookout is just grilling (and drinking). Or someone will invite you over and specify grilling

The words are not interchangeable here. But we take BBQ really serious around Memphis. It wasn't till my mid twenties that I realize drive-through BBQ joints weren't a thing everywhere. How do yall live not being able to get a slab of ribs to go? (Probably a lot longer...)

#73 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Ok, I admit that I am an uncultured heathen from the North. Up here, having a BBQ is really just opening a up grill (we usually call it a barbecue) and throwing on some hot dogs, burgers, kielbasi, wurst, chicken, steak, or whatever else. I know in the south it is very different and most folks down there take their BBQing and/or grilling very seriously. I didn't mean to cause any upset

No harm done. Is southerners know that up north there’s a lack of understanding of what is grillin’ and what’s ‘Que.

Thankfully, you can now help your friends and family embrace the glory of BBQ and spread the good word all around.

BBQ comes right after church here in a lot of TX. Just cause it’s sacrilege to call hot dogs bbq doesn’t mean we don’t still like y’all yankees.

#74 3 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

How do yall live not being able to get a slab of ribs to go? (Probably a lot longer...)

We can, it's just not the same thing up here. I can easily note the differences, but suffice it to say that I enjoy both types, it's just certainly *not* the same.

#75 3 years ago
    Quoted from NashtyFunk:

Just cause it’s sacrilege to call hot dogs bbq

I don't think anyone calls Hot dogs themselves BBQ...but you make them ON a BBQ.

#76 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I don't think anyone calls Hot dogs themselves BBQ...but you make them ON a BBQ.

It's a regional thing...I don't know anyone who calls a grill a BBQ

Course around here, there's still plenty of people who call any sort of soft-drink a coke.

#77 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Chilean style...
    Avocado, Tomato, Mayo

Yep, this is what I am talking about. That tomato and mayo combo is insane on a dog.

#78 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

at the risk of agreeing with you too much I knew exactly what you were talking about.I grill,BBQ and. smoke a variety of meats on a variety grills and smokers.When you said Bbq there is no confusion here we are talking hotdogs.I bet quite a few people were inspired to make DAWGS or something on their grills today.thanks

#79 3 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

It's a regional thing...I don't know anyone who calls a grill a BBQ
    Course around here, there's still plenty of people who call any sort of soft-drink a coke.

That was very confusing the first time I experienced that. A friend asked for a Coke...got a Coke...and was pissed because he wanted a Sprite.

#80 3 years ago

Im from Nashville now in california for years.I really liked when I went to Dallas and Houston for work How available good bbq was and I dont mean no ribs at a pizza joint.Legite chicken ribs pork and briskett .Amazing Loved the availability of Cajun food too

#81 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

I bet quite a few people were inspired to make DAWGS or something on their grills today.

Yep--I just picked up a fresh onion and plan to use my little foreman grill to cook up some hot dogs. Not quite the same as a real outdoor grill, but it will hit the spot for now.

#82 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I'll have peanut butter on crackers, sandwiches, or as a veggie dip, but I can't imagine a pairing like hot dogs and peanut butter

Maybe if you add Bacon. Bacon goes with everything.

peanut (resized).jpgpeanut (resized).jpg
    #83 3 years ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

[quoted image]

Is that a Twinkie for the bun?

#84 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

That was very confusing the first time I experienced that. A friend asked for a Coke...got a Coke...and was pissed because he wanted a Sprite.

That one is on him.

Quoted from Jamesays:

Im from Nashville now in california for years.I really liked when I went to Dallas and Houston for work How available good bbq was and I dont mean no ribs at a pizza joint.Legite chicken ribs pork and briskett .Amazing Loved the availability of Cajun food too

Oh yeah good cajun food. A crawfish boil is another wonderful all day event of eating and drinking too much.

#85 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

[quoted image]
    That's the first time I've ever heard that.

I've done it. It's actually pretty good. I've put peanut butter on potato chips, pizza and hamburgers.

#86 3 years ago

Jesse Jones hotdog from Martinsville speedway chili that goes on the “fully-loaded” dog with chili, slaw, mustard and onions on a steamed bun. One weekend in 1992 when I worked on a pit crew I ate over 20 of them from Friday to Sunday....

20210409_062440 (resized).jpg20210409_062440 (resized).jpg
    #87 3 years ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

[quoted image]

My doctor would flip if she saw me eating that.needs more bacon.peanut butter hmmm

#88 3 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

Is that a Twinkie for the bun?

Yes I think you are right - I did not notice that - even better

#89 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

I’m a Claussen guy for name brand, but I’ve been munching on these lately, pretty sure they’re National now. In the deli section and half the price of Claussen’s.
    [quoted image]

Yep, good stuff. Great on burgers, too. Cheddar, grilled onions, pickle chips.

#90 3 years ago

Whatever the F I want!

#91 3 years ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

Yes I think you are right - I did not notice that - even better

And here is where that came from. It’s called a twilly
    https://www.eonline.com/news/442459/would-you-eat-the-twilly-aka-a-hot-dog-with-a-twinkie-bun

#92 3 years ago

Everything is good. I am not sure about Peanut Butter though...

#93 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Your one sick bastard, your back must be hurting from all that digging you would of had to do.

My one sick bastard? Don't know why my back "must be hurting" if I "would of" had to dig, since "would've" means I didn't. Why would I? She told me in a dream that she liked the way I smother my dogs in ketchup, I don't know what twisted thing you envisioned.

#95 3 years ago

Don’t really eat too many hot dogs but when I do, it’s 100% beef and soft buns. Nathan’s bun length dogs is a no brainer. Top them with hienz ketchup, mustard, chopped onions and relish.

#96 3 years ago

My folks recently turned me on to Ted Leightner dogs. It a dog with mayo,pickles,tomato and something else I don't remember. Until then I would have said he'll no to mayo on a dog. I like just mustard and lots of diced onion. Also like a chili cheese dog, ( no beans), and lot of diced onion.

Earlier in the Covid hassle my local pallet store was blowing out 5 pound frozen bags of Nathan's all beef jumbo dogs for $2.89 a package. He scored them from the theaters that had to close. I still have about 25 pounds of those.

Spiral slice an all beef dog and grill it...... You're welcome

#97 3 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Don’t really eat too many hot dogs but when I do, it’s 100% beef and soft buns. Nathan’s bun length dogs is a no brainer. Top them with hienz ketchup, mustard, chopped onions and relish.

Nathans all beef all good

#98 3 years ago

the best way to eat a hot dog is with chili only. try jays hot dogs in boardman ohio if your ever in the youngstown area.

#99 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

I’m in Dearborn quite a bit, and Coney’s are tasty!

To me, American Coney Island in Detroit is the best!

#100 3 years ago
    Quoted from dos_reboot:

All I eat are onions...[quoted image]

"Hey, did you ever eat a snowball?"

There are 156 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/it-s-almost-bbq-time-what-do-you-put-on-your-hot-dogs/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.