(Topic ID: 292195)

It's almost BBQ time! What do you put on your hot dogs?

By ForceFlow

5 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 156 posts
  • 75 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by DanQverymuch
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What do you put on your hot dogs?”

• Ketchup 56 votes
      10%
    • Mustard 120 votes
      21%
    • Onions 78 votes
      14%
    • Relish 55 votes
      10%
    • BBQ Sauce 10 votes
      2%
    • Chili 52 votes
      9%
    • Coleslaw 7 votes
      1%
    • Sauerkraut 34 votes
      6%
    • Peppers 15 votes
      3%
    • Jalapeño 15 votes
      3%
    • Cheese 39 votes
      7%
    • Mayo 11 votes
      2%
    • Other 7 votes
      1%
    • Nothing 6 votes
      1%
    • Hot dogs? Ewww 5 votes
      1%
    • Pickles 16 votes
      3%
    • Celery Salt 15 votes
      3%
    • Tomato 11 votes
      2%
    • Peanut Butter 0 votes
    • Bacon 8 votes
      1%

(Multiple choice - 560 votes by 158 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SmartSelect_20210427-231213_Chrome (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    elv (resized).jpg
    D555E17A-F147-4A4B-8716-15381B490751 (resized).jpeg
    20210426_111718 (resized).jpg
    3284CC3A-CD56-46F1-BD3E-30AC27916C85 (resized).jpeg
    00865245-30B7-4A53-9E5F-4BDC0FF04696 (resized).jpeg
    CA979E07-FAB9-4216-A0CD-313D7F36B13E (resized).jpeg
    D77820AD-951B-47FF-BDE7-DE8A5FF30A3D (resized).jpeg
    3272E93E-4E03-4042-AF0D-E77EB505AABA (resized).jpeg
    DSC00500 (resized).JPG
    img_eddies_logo (resized).png
    coney (resized).png

There are 156 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 5 months ago

This question came up in another thread. Since I'm looking forward to BBQing/grilling as soon as the weather here gets a bit warmer, I thought it might be fun to see what everyone likes.

I grew up putting ketchup on hot dogs, but haven't liked that in a long time. Personally, I like either BBQ sauce, onions, or chili. If I can't have one of those, I'll generally eat it plain.

#2 5 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

This question came up in another thread. Since I'm looking forward to BBQing as soon as the weather here gets a bit warmer, I thought it might be fun to see what everyone likes.
    I grew up putting ketchup on hot dogs, but haven't liked that in a long time. Personally, I like either BBQ sauce, onions, or chili. If I can't have one of those, I'll generally eat it plain.

I would check yes on all of the poll items.You cant beat a good chili cheese with jalapeno and onion

#3 5 months ago

Chicago style- relish, mustard, pickle, onion, tomato and sport peppers. On a poppy seed bun, of course.

#4 5 months ago

Brown or yellow mustard, kraut, either relish or pickle chips. BBQ kielbasa gets dijon, onions, and peppers.

#5 5 months ago

And it is an absolute must that the hot dog be all beef or it’s just a bologna log.

#6 5 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I grew up putting ketchup on hot dogs

That's just wrong.

There are places in Chicago where they will throw you out if you do this.

Everything else is OK but ketchup is wrong.

Mustard on burgers is wrong too. Yuck.

#7 5 months ago

All the above. If u ain’t wearing it, u ain’t enjoying it..

#8 5 months ago

this time no hot dog here, but burgertime

cheers
    chris

57D31092-D243-42B4-B4E3-B168293A9B16 (resized).jpegE0FB29CD-ABF9-40D8-A149-5B5347552CF2 (resized).jpeg
    #9 5 months ago

bacon,caramelized onions and cheese.I think I may need to go to the store to scratch my hotdog itch after reading these posts.

#10 5 months ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

bacon,caramelized onions and cheese.I think I may need to go to the store to scratch my hotdog itch after reading these posts.

Haha, I was just thinking the same

#11 5 months ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

Put this on a pretzel bun, and you have perfection!!!

Later,
    EV

#12 5 months ago

That's grilling, not BBQing.
    For what it's worth, chili (no beans) and cheese.

#13 5 months ago

Loves my lycopene!

If it's wrong, I don't wanna be right.

If it offends any Chicagoans, so much the better! They want to tell me what I can and can't put on my dog? They can f right the f off.

Newly_Redesigned_HeinzKetchup_Bottles.5c892baaeb367 (resized).png
    #14 5 months ago

Mustard, Meat Sauce (Chili), Onions... All over mac salad and home fries. Preferably a white hot but this might just be an odd western ny thing.
    pic5ADR3z (resized).jpg

#15 5 months ago

I’m from Detroit we do “coney dogs” natural casing dog, bun, chili (no beans) onions and mustard.

Also unless you smoke them hot dogs are not BBQ.

#16 5 months ago

All I eat are onions...

#17 5 months ago

Smoked brisket...

#18 5 months ago
    Quoted from NashtyFunk:

That's grilling, not BBQing.

Oh, please. It's a variation of barbequing. Look it up.

The whole gathering is called a barbeque! No one says come over for a grilling!

If you want real controversy, try telling me I can't put noodles in my chili!

#20 5 months ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Loves my lycopene!
    If it offends any Chicagoans, so much the better! They want to tell me what I can and can't put on my dog? They can f right the f off.
    [quoted image]

you would get murdered in Chi-town

#21 5 months ago

Mustard, onion, peppers are must. I also like cream cheese, slaw, mayo, and celery salt

#22 5 months ago

Anyone who puts mayo on a hot dog is spawned from the devil himself. You are a disgusting “human being”.

#23 5 months ago

Loves my lycopene!
    [quoted image]

Does your mommy still cut up your hot dogs for you too?

#24 5 months ago

Kimchi, mayo + sriracha is the way to go (on brats especially but still good on hotdogs). Had one for the first time at Tilt in Minneapolis a while back and it's been my favorite combo since then.

#25 5 months ago

Hot dogs ain't BBQ

#26 5 months ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Chicago style- relish, mustard, pickle, onion, tomato and sport peppers. On a poppy seed bun, of course.

For some reason, poppy-seed buns don't exist in CA. It's bizarre. I want to get them...but I'd have to mail order!!!

Chicago style bagel dogs were the bomb, too.

Pretzel buns are pretty rad, though.

#27 5 months ago

I just realized I forgot a few things at Costco.

images (resized).jpeg
    #28 5 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I grew up putting ketchup on hot dogs, but haven't liked that in a long time.

Ketchup is my go-to for just about everything. Hot dogs, burgers, pork chops, steak, sometimes even chicken strips and fish. If not ketchup, BBQ sauce is a good substitute for all of the above. Can't stand mustard. Have never had, and will never try, mayo, relish, sauerkraut, chili, coleslaw, etc.

#29 5 months ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

For some reason, poppy-seed buns don't exist in CA. It's bizarre. I want to get them...but I'd have to mail order!!!

It must be a regional thing, I’m in south Florida a lot and the Chicago hot dog joint I frequent when there had to find a bakery to make them for him.

#30 5 months ago

Not a fan of the "traditional" toppings - ketchup, mustard, and relish are out. I'll take sauerkraut or kimchi any day. Grilled peppers and onions are a solid choice. And can't go wrong with a good chili-cheese dog.

I'm also a fan of the top-split bun, not sure but I think that might be a New England thing.

#31 5 months ago

chili no beans is best if you want chili and i do but not everytime,The Bagel dogs around here are awesome.Why limit yourself your worth it try everything atleast once.

Quoted from Lopa:

I’m from Detroit we do “coney dogs” natural casing dog, bun, chili (no beans) onions and mustard.
    Also unless you smoke them hot dogs are not BBQ.

I tried to smoke some crawdads but they kept clogging up my bong

#32 5 months ago

Oh, please. It's a variation of barbequing. Look it up.

The whole gathering is called a barbeque! No one says come over for a grilling!

Maybe in your part of the country

#33 5 months ago

Haha
    Funny, I just went through Portellos drive thru
    Jumbo dog with everything (Chicago style) for the win... anything else is bunk!

#34 5 months ago
    Quoted from dug:

Haha
    Funny, I just went through Portellos drive thru
    Jumbo dog with everything (Chicago style) for the win... anything else is bunk!

Tough to pass up their combo with sweet and hot peppers

#35 5 months ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

Maybe in your part of the country

That's my whole point, one region's ways are another's no-no's. Doesn't mean one is "right."

Quoted from Jaybird815:

Does your mommy still cut up your hot dogs for you too?

My mommy is dead, but your mother liked the way I used a hot dog last night.

#36 5 months ago

Nothing beats superdawg in chicago.

#37 5 months ago

That's my whole point, one region's ways are another's no-no's. Doesn't mean one is "right."

My mommy is dead, but your mother liked the way I used a hot dog last night.

Your one sick bastard, your back must be hurting from all that digging you would of had to do.

#38 5 months ago

Hotdogs are not BBQ haha.

#39 5 months ago

Nacho cheese and ketchup. A favorite at my events.

LTG : )

#40 5 months ago

Chilean style...

Avocado, Tomato, Mayo

#41 5 months ago

3rd generation family member who still puts peanut butter on my hot dog. Try it.

#42 5 months ago

Didn't see the option for a dill pickle. The best ones to use are the dill stackers (thin slices the full length of the pickle), but hamburger slices will work in a pinch.

Also a chili-cheese dog with nacho cheese and paprika heavily sprinkled on the top is a good option.

#43 5 months ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Didn't see the option for a dill pickle. The best ones to use are the dill stackers (thin slices the full length of the pickle), but hamburger slices will work in a pinch.

If they're neon green and not in the refrigerated section, they're trash, IMO.

Clausen Pickles are the best "mainstream" dill.

Grillos & Sonoma are great if you can get them.

pickles_Clausen (resized).jpgPickles_Grillo (resized).jpgPickles_Sonoma (resized).jpg
    #44 5 months ago

The Chicago way is right.

#45 5 months ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

3rd generation family member who still puts peanut butter on my hot dog. Try it.

Dude, I knew you had a screw loose when you stuck that powerball in your 8-ball but holy hell. Peanut Butter on a hot dog?

#46 5 months ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

If they're neon green and not in the refrigerated section, they're trash, IMO.
    Clausen Pickles are the best "mainstream" dill.
    Grillos & Sonoma are great if you can get them.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I’m a Claussen guy for name brand, but I’ve been munching on these lately, pretty sure they’re National now. In the deli section and half the price of Claussen’s.

104713D7-6B44-4893-A20D-D65B2CDF742A.jpeg
    #47 5 months ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Don’t forget the celery salt.

#48 5 months ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

Don’t forget the celery salt.

I’ve learned that some places do and some don’t on their Chicago styles, I do always have celery salt in the pantry tho.

#49 5 months ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

I do always have celery salt in the pantry tho.

Me too, it really does make a difference IMO

#50 5 months ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I just made a all beef hotdog run and grabbed some italian sausage Louisiana red hots .found poppy seed buns at safeway in cali.

There are 156 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside