It Might Be Time To Stop The Yardwork-Forever.

(Topic ID: 186578)

It Might Be Time To Stop The Yardwork-Forever.

By Azmodeus

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 69 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by dmbjunky
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

3152 (resized).jpg
Wall 10 (resized).jpg
Wall 13 (resized).jpg
Wall 12 (resized).jpg
Wall 11 (resized).jpg
IMG_3016 (resized).JPG
IMG_6271 (resized).JPG

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 1 year ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Gee, hope you can still get to Pinfest.

My throat hurts like hell but I'm still going Saturday only for a few hours. Not bringing any pins to set up.

1 week later
#52 1 year ago

I'm 53. I fired my lawn guy 3 years ago so my son could earn his keep. Sadly he's off to college in the fall, so I need to step up again. I don't see how mowing is any different than walking, unless you have a really steep yard. But, totally agree about the other stuff. I don't get on a tall ladder unless I absolutely have to.

#53 1 year ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I don't see how mowing is any different than walking,

I've never seen anybody walking lose fingers, toes, or kick a rock through a window.

LTG : )

#54 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

I've never seen anybody walking lose fingers, toes, or kick a rock through a window.

get a self propelled mover with bagger so no raking and it will walk you or wear roller skates which is fun except in the turns!

#55 1 year ago
Quoted from tdunbar:

get a self propelled mover with bagger so no raking and it will walk you or wear roller skates which is fun except in the turns!

Get a rider.

#56 1 year ago

I'm 65 years old and am recovering from surgery from a torn bicep tendon. And NOT from doing yard work for Christ's sake! From lifting a Skill Roll out of my van with just my right arm. THAT I will not do again!
I do yard work almost every day and get immense pleasure from it. I hope to be doing it at least into my 90's as my father-in-law did until last year at the age of 92.
I do not go up on ladders any longer though. Not too bad going up, but down was getting a little scary.

#57 1 year ago

My boss's Dad lives next door to where I work. He's around 80 and still push mows the lawn, works horses, shovels manure, makes hay, plants corn.

And he comes in the shop and helps out. Hope I can do that at his age.

#58 1 year ago

How big was the piece of chicken?!

#59 1 year ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

My boss's Dad lives next door to where I work. He's around 80 and still push mows the lawn, works horses, shovels manure, makes hay, plants corn.

Agree with the sentiment! My father-in-law has Parkinson's. It's about the worst thing you can get. It strips you of everything. I cann't think of a hobby you can enjoy with it. Horrible thing.

I'm in my 40s. I train Jiu Jitsu. I bike about 40 kms a week or more when the weather is decent -- it's been crap so far. I gladly mow my lawn in the warm months and, by choice, shovel my six car driveway in the winter. We aren't promised tomorrow. As long as my body agrees with me, I'm working it and loving it!

#60 1 year ago

The weather has been crap. My yard looks like I could make hay from it. Rain, rain, and more rain.

#61 1 year ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

That's probably why he's 80

#62 1 year ago

Well, i'll be 50 in a year, and I still do all my yardwork and projects without issue. Did my 1st retaining wall last year, and working on the 2nd level this year. Done every step from beginning to end by myself and am quite proud, and feel fine...

Wall 11 (resized).jpg

Wall 12 (resized).jpg

Wall 13 (resized).jpg

Wall 10 (resized).jpg

#63 1 year ago
Quoted from guyincognito:

How big was the piece of chicken?!

About as big as my thumb.
What exactly happened was, I was setting down and just took a big bite of my chicken. At the same time my cat jumped up and knocked my plate over. I jumped up and the bite I just took went down without me chewing at all. It got lodged in my Esophagus. I could feel it stuck and could breath at first. Tried drinking water and that's when things went all to hell. I couldn't even swallow my own saliva. Anyway, that had to put me to sleep and put a breathing tube in, a camera and what ever else they needed to pull the food out. They said there was more stuck in there but my i was bleeding to bad so they waited another day to do it again.

#64 1 year ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Well, i'll be 50 in a year, and I still do all my yardwork and projects without issue. Did my 1st retaining wall last year, and working on the 2nd level this year. Done every step from beginning to end by myself and am quite proud, and feel fine...

Same here. I will be 50 in December. Still do all my own work. Don't feel any different from when I was 30. The only issues I have is recurring tendinitis in my left wrist and thumb.
But honestly this year has been kind of a rough year knowing I'm about to hit 50 and my little trip to the hospital. I still have two major projects that require me to be two stories high on a latter to remove the siding on the back of my house. I don't have the money to afford to pay someone to do the work so if I can't do it myself it will never get done. I don't even have enough money to finish but I can get my siding down (changes made) and back up this summer. Installing a deck and small addition.

#65 1 year ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

This advice came a little too late for me unfortunately. I should have listened to my gut when I picked up the rake.

I pretty much had the same problem, but it was my knee instead of my hip.

3152 (resized).jpg

#66 1 year ago
Quoted from robotron911:

I'm talking 30-60lb. fish. Not for the faint of heart. He tried to get me to do that for years and I absolutely refused. Catfish aren't the only things in those holes...

We did that a lot in Kansas.
"Oh, there's a big rock in this hole...wait, the rock is swimming...."
Or
"Since when do catfish have fur?" about 5 seconds before an angry beaver decides to make his appearance.
My favorite moment was when I was noodling in an old car(they used to dump them in the river to control erosion). Slipped and slid down the side of a rusted spike that looked razor sharp. For a second, I just floated there, thinking that I have just gashed my torso open and waited for the pain and blood. Luckily, just a scratch, but it scared the holy hell out of me for a moment.

But, I gotta admit, it was a thrill to pull dinner out of the hole.

#67 1 year ago
Quoted from Mvfvette1:

I pretty much had the same problem, but it was my knee instead of my hip.

Is that your johnson ?

#68 1 year ago

I get what you are saying Azmo. Just be careful.
I know a middle-aged guy (not me) that screwed up while climbing around in his attic, fell down through his ceiling, crashed down hard, and broke his hip. It slowed him up for over a year, and lost some flexibility as a result.

#69 1 year ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

That's pretty awesome. A lot of hard work there. I was trying to convince my Dad to go with a poured concrete retainer wall but he wants landscaping stones like that.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 77.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Bright Lights Pinball
€ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 49.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 8,500.00
Pinball Machine
PinballSTAR Amusements
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 21.00
$ 46.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside