(Topic ID: 186578)

It Might Be Time To Stop The Yardwork-Forever.

By Azmodeus

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 69 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by dmbjunky
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3152 (resized).jpg
Wall 10 (resized).jpg
Wall 13 (resized).jpg
Wall 12 (resized).jpg
Wall 11 (resized).jpg
IMG_3016 (resized).JPG
IMG_6271 (resized).JPG

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

I learned over the last two years in hospitals and nursing centers, maybe you should stop doing your own Yardwork now.

I had like five hip issue roommates. They were all older than me 80-90. Your hip might be an issue for you. This can kill you. These five roommates I had might not all be with us now.

One of these roommates got a talk about getting off his ass. If he didn't get up and do the painful rehab, he was probably going to die. He didn't give up.

If you get hip issues in your 80s be careful. I would suggest you just stop doing yard work at all. Get an eager kid to do it now. This goes for lights and decorations too. I think if your my age 49 you should hopefully be done with physical yard work.

My cousin was doing something stupid at the top of a second story apex on a ladder the other day, he is 55. WTF. Really. I told him to get out his frigging motorcycle, ride it and have some one else fix the damn roof.

Please don't hurt yourself for no good reason, friends.

I Say get hurt doing the things you love.

#2 6 years ago

I love yardwork............Joey

#3 6 years ago

Well,on a different take,I'm 66,and was told 4 yrs.ago,I hadda lose weight! Chemistry all off! Exercise did it for me!! Everybody has something you have to get rid of by Christmas! Take care of yourself!! Do your hips give you trouble when you Pinball?? A little California sunshine will fix U right up!!!C U in Dixon!!!

#4 6 years ago

Wait... now that I'm 49, I have permission to stop doing the "honey-do's"?? ...

Wait, I'll be right back... Honey!!!!

#5 6 years ago

You really do have permission to stop. In my old neighborhood there was 3 different kids putting up Christmas lights in December. Hell I probably would do that for cash if I was a kid free money.

But really the dangers are real of getting hurt. The one guy who I knew was hurt the worst was simply digging a hole in his backyard, hurt him self so bad he nearly died, before I met him. Then came the hip replacement. The pain I have witnessed made grown men cry. And never look back. Please skip the yard work now.

#6 6 years ago

Have we become such pansies that in the year 2017 men can't do yardwork in the their late 40's or 50's due to possible fatal consequences?!? Dear God, my Grandfather would spit at your feet, while putting out his Marlboro on your forehead and pulling an engine out of a tractor.

Grow a set.

#7 6 years ago

dude I have a set. But what I'm trying to say in a nicer way is for my friends on pinside to be careful. No matter how manly you are- the odds are in your favor that you will hurt your hip. If you do, you will cry like a little bitch. I've heard it myself-I'd rather not hear it again. Anyways there comes a time when your health and time are worth more than digging holes in the backyard. Me and my grandfather can go toe toe toe, God rest his soul. He was a cranky ass Italian from detriot. I guess I am too.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

Have we become such pansies that in the year 2017 men can't do yardwork in the their late 40's or 50's due to possible fatal consequences?!? Dear God, my Grandfather would spit at your feet, while putting out his Marlboro on your forehead and pulling an engine out of a tractor.
Grow a set.

That was awsome

#9 6 years ago

I get what your saying Azmodeous, especially with everything you've been through, but it depends more on a persons health than their age how dangerous these things are. I like getting outside and doing yard work, it's a nice break from my job where I sit inside all day. And as someone else pointed out, it's good exercise which helps to keep weight off. I'm in my fifties and the more exercise I get the better off it is for me.

#10 6 years ago

I do all my own gardening and love it.

What they should really do is outlaw those leaf blowers. Worthless contraptions that only make noise and blow shit from one property to another.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

Dear God, my Grandfather would spit at your feet, while putting out his Marlboro on your forehead and pulling an engine out of a tractor.
Grow a set.

You use chainfalls to pull a engine out of a tractor. You make it sound like he pulled it out with his own damn bare hand.

#12 6 years ago

Just please be extremely careful. If I can save one of us from a broken hip or something bad, it's worth it. I personally will restore pinball and pass on the yard work. I have some bad stories now. I'm not gonna bang on the dead horse. Please be careful.

#13 6 years ago

Yardwork is my business......... love it

#14 6 years ago

I am 40 and have had arthritis in my in my hip since my 20s. It sucks. The doctor said when he looked at my xray he thought i was going to be in my 70s!

#15 6 years ago

I've found one of the worst things you can do to your hip is getting in and out of a car.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from JosephT:

You use chainfalls to pull a engine out of a tractor. You make it sound like he pulled it out with his own damn bare hand.

Well, of course, he didn't pull the engine out with his bare hands....he used his teeth! Seriously, the man did love noodling. For those of you who don't know what that is, it is a form of fishing usually done in rivers for catfish. You reach (or dive down) into muddy water and put your hand into holes and crevices until you feel a catfish. You try to get the fish to open its mouth to swallow your hand and then you grab it by the lip and wrestle it out. I'm talking 30-60lb. fish. Not for the faint of heart. He tried to get me to do that for years and I absolutely refused. Catfish aren't the only things in those holes...

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I do all my own gardening and love it.
What they should really do is outlaw those leaf blowers. Worthless contraptions that only make noise and blow shit from one property to another.

When used properly the leaf blower is an amazing contraption. Like today I used mine to clear the gutters in under 5 minutes. Mowed the lawn. Hooked up the lawn sweeper and got rid of clippings and all the random shit I blew out if my gutters.

#18 6 years ago

Nothing a little Titanium and great surgeon can't fix.

IMG_6271 (resized).JPGIMG_6271 (resized).JPG

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from davijc02:

When used properly the leaf blower is an amazing contraption.

Wake me up one more time with that thing on my day off, and I'll show you what it's used for.

#20 6 years ago

This advice came a little too late for me unfortunately. I should have listened to my gut when I picked up the rake.

#21 6 years ago

Your all spooking me a little. Is this what I should expect as I age? I am 50, lead a fairly active life - disc golf 3x week, skateboard, rock climb. I would surf if we had an ocean in Missouri. Hate to think that I will done in by yard work, although I am always looking for an excuse not to do it.

#22 6 years ago

I'm 57 and play on two hockey teams. Last year it was three. Also ski, bike and hike. gotta do what you think is fun.

#23 6 years ago

In with the asphalt and a cart track!

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from davijc02:

When used properly the leaf blower is an amazing contraption

Beats the hell out of raking!!

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

I love yardwork............Joey

i dont exactly love it... but i have no choice.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from Olddragon:

Wait... now that I'm 49, I have permission to stop doing the "honey-do's"?? ...
Wait, I'll be right back... Honey!!!!

ha!...

#27 6 years ago

What is this "Yard Work" you speak of?

#28 6 years ago

I like that getting out and riding a motorcycle was your safe alternative to yard work.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

This advice came a little too late for me unfortunately. I should have listened to my gut when I picked up the rake.

Hahaha, I was just waiting for this to pop up! Lol , good one... no one even noticed, lol

#30 6 years ago

Oh, my hips are hurting from another day of yard work......but I mostly enjoy and need the exercise.

It happens from too much of many things.

My best friend, never a gardener, played Tennis on the weekend instead.

57, and both hips are being replaced, then the knees.

Theres a reason pro athletes retire and wind down after 35....

#31 6 years ago

At 49 I'm having more trouble playing pinball then doing yardwork.
I have both, arthritis and Tendinitis in my left thumb/wrist. Playing is one of the most painful things I can do. Really sucks since it took me almost 20 years to build my collection. Had to leave the games in storage for almost 10 years. Now I'm finally at a point where I am able to set up most my games and it hurts to play. Go figure?!?!?! Anyway, I don't really need the thumb on my left hand do I? Yeah it's that painful!

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

At 49 I'm having more trouble playing pinball then doing yardwork.
I have both, arthritis and Tendinitis in my left thumb/wrist. Playing is one of the most painful things I can do. Really sucks since it took me almost 20 years to build my collection. Had to leave the games in storage for almost 10 years. Now I'm finally at a point where I am able to set up most my games and it hurts to play. Go figure?!?!?! Anyway, I don't really need the thumb on my left hand do I? Yeah it's that painful!

Ive seen other ways to play, like foot pedals, and other methods for handicapped playing.....maybe a way to get the fun back, and easy to do.

#33 6 years ago

My philosophy is "use it or lose it". I think the people with the most chronic pain or physical ailments are usually the ones that don't use their body enough. The people that don't do a lot regularly and then try to make that one big lift or some other spontaneous physical activity are the ones that end up hurting themselves because they didn't keep themselves active in the first place.

#34 6 years ago

I play indoor pickup basketball every week, it's either the ball goes out of bounds or my hips hit the ground-not on my watch.

#35 6 years ago

Sorry, my cousin and telling him to ride instead of climb up to fix the 40 foot gable on his house.

I told him to ride not to be safer, simply to risk himself doing what he loves. If you love yard work please, I know some do.

I like gardening a little bit I think I'm not sure why might be my ol gran dad in me.

I just want everyone to be careful. Really fucking careful. An ounce of prevention so to speak.

I now assume that everyone I know, is going to hurt his hip or something. If it's not you, it will be someone you know. I hope it's not you.

#36 6 years ago

My hip and lower back are pretty messed up and I'm only 34...

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Ive seen other ways to play, like foot pedals, and other methods for handicapped playing.....maybe a way to get the fun back, and easy to do.

I was reading a thread on here about the guy that plays in a league with only one arm. They made a thingy to put on a game so you can use one hand for both flipper buttons. Can't find it anymore though. I have my good days and my bad days so still get a couple games in a week and still play on a league once a week also. Only had to miss one league night so far because it hurt to much to play. I don't play tournaments any longer. It's pretty much has only been the last year since it went from hurting every once in a while to hurting all the time. Going to start getting cortisone shots and arthritis pills treatment. Degenerative arthritis runs in my family so it's something I'm going to have to cope with in the near future.

#38 6 years ago

Eight years Marine Corps, intense Krav Maga training and 10 years Law Enforcement has put a lot of wear and tear on my body. Oh well. I'll be active as shit, burning it at both ends and in great shape till that massive heart attack takes me and allows me to rest forever.

2 weeks later
#39 6 years ago

Well the yardwork didn't get me but I had to take my first ride in an ambulance Sunday afternoon. Still in the hospital waiting on my second surgery. All because I swallowed a too big of piece of chicken. Messed up my (?@?@?) have no clue how to spell that one so saying my pipeing. This will be a total of 3 days in the hospital over a simple cookout. At 49 I must say those few seconds of not being able to breathe that scared the shit out of me.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Well the yardwork didn't get me but I had to take my first ride in an ambulance Sunday afternoon. Still in the hospital waiting on my second surgery. All because I swallowed a too big of piece of chicken. Messed up my (?@?@?) have no clue how to spell that one so saying my pipeing. This will be a total of 3 days in the hospital over a simple cookout. At 49 I must say those few seconds of not being able to breathe that scared the shit out of me.

Holy crap feel better. Getting old sucks. I'm 45 and I've been doing DDP Yoga the last 15 weeks religiously nearly every day. I can't say it's made me shockingly flexible or something but it does make me feel good.

PS: Yardwork sucks and no I won't do it.

#41 6 years ago

Its like Indiana Jones says: It's Not the Age It's the Mileage... I'm 53. Always been active all my life. Skiing, Snowboarding, Sports, Climing, Hiking ect... That's just for fun. Im a mountain excavator. I have to crawl all over those hills to do my job. In and out of heavy equipment. In and out of deep holes ect... All at 10,000 feet! Been thinking and planning on hanging it up for about a year now. Yes at 50 everything hurts to do but you keep doin it. Just recently I have been noticing my right hip has been hurting at night when I sleep. At first I blew off as just another pain. Now since it hasn't gone away Im starting to be a bit concerned. As far as muscles go Im good! Its my joints. They feel like they are worn out. People get hurt when they push themselves too hard especially when their tired!

#42 6 years ago

Make my wife do it.

#43 6 years ago

What about moving pins?

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Like from Tspp

Esophagus Now!

IMG_3016 (resized).JPGIMG_3016 (resized).JPG

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Gee, hope you can still get to Pinfest.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

So you are saying at the age of 49 you literally "choked on a Chicken"? lol

Seriously, glad you are OK and hope the surgery goes well.

#47 6 years ago

Dude you did totally choke on the chicken. I hope everything is ok.

#48 6 years ago

Ill be happy to make it to 80

#49 6 years ago
#50 6 years ago

I'm so glad I never went in for all that jock bs, I still feel about as good at 56 as I ever have! Knock on calcium!

My back feels just fine now, unlike when I had to pick the kid up all the time when she was little.

I still do all my own yardwork, and the day I can't shovel my driveway manually I will officially be old!

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/it-might-be-time-to-stop-the-yardwork-forever and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.