(Topic ID: 20222)

It makes me sad, but I may have to purge all my games soon

By Doctor6

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th_troll-1.gif
    There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 11 years ago

I think most people are going to sell off their collection at one point. I can't see doing this in my 50's or 60's. I think about dumping all of it, all the time. It becomes a waste of time and money at one point imo. It's interactive furniture.

People want what they can't have. When they get it, they often don't want it anymore, or lose interest overtime. Human nature.

You could land a better job. You can always buy again when you're ready. Plenty of machines out there.

#52 11 years ago

I'm sorry about the job loss. I hope you can get back on your feet as soon as you can.

#53 11 years ago

Man, that sucks!

If I were you... I would definitely pursue something that's related to the CDL you have. I'm not sure what the 'class B' parameters are, but I would pursue something in freight trucking. Not the ones to take you all over the nation but more of the regional ones. My brother's wife's dad is a truck driver for Walmart. He loves its. His area is around N. Illinois and N. Indiana - so he doesn't stray too much away from home. This, of course, depends if you like driving A LOT....

Someone mentioned IDOT on here. The problem w/ them is their waiting list, currently, is miles long. Also, it's one of those jobs you almost have to know somebody affiliated to "get in".

I would also be interested in your DW. I'm temporarily residing in Sycamore (not too far from you). BUT... let's hope it doesn't come down to this!

#54 11 years ago

Hope your battle goes well.
    I would seriously take gorilla up on his offer if you don't know anyone else.
    It would buy you a couple months time.
    Only interest for me there is TS but you could probably get better money locally.

Again sorry about your misfortune and best of wishes to you and yours

#55 11 years ago
    Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

I think most people are going to sell off their collection at one point. I can't see doing this in my 50's or 60's. I think about dumping all of it, all the time. It becomes a waste of time and money at one point imo. It's interactive furniture.

I think you may need to speak for yourself. I'll be 59 in a month and been playing since I was 10.
    I don't see me selling off my Pins, ever , unless necessitated by economic issues. Besides, I'm not the only one that enjoys them, my Kids, Friends, Neighbors, etc. My Father is 89 and He Plays the Pins whenever He Can!

Always got enjoyment playing Pinball and always will.

#56 11 years ago

Does anyone know the IL unemployment criteria?
    Jorant, file for Unemployment. It will help you get by week to week while looking for a full time gig and reduce the stress level.

Use every avenue available to you. Tons of people are living on the dole, all over this Country. In Mass it is widespread. You have paid your dues and now need some help.

#57 11 years ago
    Quoted from pdman:

I had to file may of last year. Basically you want to go to the website and file immediately, because there's a 1 week grace period where you don't get paid (period), then have to wait another 2 weeks after that before you get a check. typically unemployment pays 66%, but only up to $350/week max I believe, which most people hit.

#58 11 years ago
    Quoted from pdman:

Jorant, file for Unemployment. It will help you get by week to week while looking for a full time gig and reduce the stress level.
    Use every avenue available to you. Tons of people are living on the dole, all over this Country. In Mass it is widespread. You have paid your dues and now need some help.

Quoted from pdman:

I wonder if the issue he's having w/ them because he was fired instead of being laid off. I know they put up a big stink when this happened to one of my friends...

For the record Jorant, he *was* able to collect it...

#59 11 years ago

I just realized you're the guy with the awesome Rambo avatar on klov. If I could I'd hire you just for that. Best of luck!

#61 11 years ago

Yeah, the Rambo Avatar on RPG is actually me. lol

I did file the very day after I was fired. They fought it, and now I appealed (today). They are saying it's three "violations" in one year. I am saying that my last violation wasn't a violation at all. So, I must wait a few days/weeks to get some appeal hearing over the phone with a referee or what have you. While on my route I didn't have a belt on. This is the first and last time it happened and I was fired. Seems unfair to be let go for something that I am pretty sure isn't even a violation. But let's be honest, they wanted me gone the second we yelled at each other. Only took them three days to find a half ass reason. Bravo to them!

I wonder, while on the phone meeting, do I bring that up, or does that make me sound like I'm grasping at straws? Mooooom, they fired me for yelling! I mean, really. Does it make me sound pathetic, or do I have a real case bringing that up? I have no clue.

With unemployment, the pins stay. Without, bye bye hobby!

#62 11 years ago

Also, my unemployment would be $550 a week (and retro active from a few weeks back)... not great, but sure as hell would help 'till I find my next job.

#63 11 years ago

Sorry to hear of this. Hope it works out in one way or another.

#64 11 years ago

Sorry to hear. Hope this all works out okay for you. Hard to have to exit this way. I wish I could help in some way, but that may be limited to buying a machine as im not that connected out your way. I can help with The Shadow if you do decide to go that route.

#65 11 years ago

If its any conselation to you. I lost my job back in 2008.I don't want to lie. It took me two years to get a real job in my profession again. I went through some real bad times. I am a Graphic designer that worked as an Art director on print magazines.

I had to sell most of my pins except for my FGY.. BK, STTNG, TZ... all sold.. You have to do what you have to do sometimes.. it was either that... or lose my house.. thank god for my pins.. they got me through a horrible time in my life..They provided me with lots of fun and in the end help me save my home from foreclosure..but the good news is.. I am on a awesome comeback. I recently picked up a HUO BK2000 and I also have a WOZ LE on the way. If you do happen to sell your pins. You can't let that get to you. Its just a pin. And when things get better again. You can tell the Mrs. that the HOUSE owes you. That's how I got my BK2000

Out of all the job sites interviews and headhunters.. Craigs List came through for me... download the CL app and punch in keywords for a job that you are interested in. Save the search.. it worked for me. I hope it works for you. The bottom line is.. even when you are at the very bottom..NEVER GIVE UP you WILL rebound. Just sucks getting back to where you were. Good luck to you.
    Joe

#66 11 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Also, my unemployment would be $550 a week (and retro active from a few weeks back)... not great, but sure as hell would help 'till I find my next job.

Wow. In Michigan it is way less. I was off work awhile and only received $350. For a little time a Federal bonus of $25 was added but I think that is way over.

I hope you qualify and hopefully the $550 can keep you above water until something comes your way. One thing, if you are very strong in your principles and convictions make sure you take it all the way. In other words appeal if the ruling is bad news. It is not that unusual to win in arbitration as long as you did not punch your boss in the face or steal money from the company;( I know you didn't I am just saying those folks that did have no reason to waste time in arbitration lol!

#67 11 years ago

Good luck with whatever route you decide to go. I haven't seen this much outporing of concern and support before so I feel good times coming your way.

#68 11 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Yeah, the Rambo Avatar on RPG is actually me. lol
    I did file the very day after I was fired. They fought it, and now I appealed (today). They are saying it's three "violations" in one year. I am saying that my last violation wasn't a violation at all. So, I must wait a few days/weeks to get some appeal hearing over the phone with a referee or what have you. While on my route I didn't have a belt on. This is the first and last time it happened and I was fired. Seems unfair to be let go for something that I am pretty sure isn't even a violation. But let's be honest, they wanted me gone the second we yelled at each other. Only took them three days to find a half ass reason. Bravo to them!
    I wonder, while on the phone meeting, do I bring that up, or does that make me sound like I'm grasping at straws? Mooooom, they fired me for yelling! I mean, really. Does it make me sound pathetic, or do I have a real case bringing that up? I have no clue.
    With unemployment, the pins stay. Without, bye bye hobby!

You should bring it up. A car accident, at least in Louisiana, is not just cause to deny unemployment benefits either, at least not in Louisiana or Texas.

#69 11 years ago
    Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

People want what they can't have. When they get it, they often don't want it anymore, or lose interest overtime. Human nature.

Bingo. Never be in a rush to finish restoring, never finish getting all the machines you want. Desire will be gone, and in my somewhat short time I have seen this a few times locally.

As for the op, best of luck. I guess find solace in fact that if you had any other form of entertainment, that money would not likely be available to you now to get you through – if that helps.

#70 11 years ago

good luck with the job search, at least you are smart and have your priorities straight

#71 11 years ago
    Quoted from joeraptor2003:

If its any conselation to you. I lost my job back in 2008.I don't want to lie. It took me two years to get a real job in my profession again. I went through some real bad times. I am a Graphic designer that worked as an Art director on print magazines.

Yea, everyone keeps suggesting to do what you love, but it's not that easy. I went to school for graphic design and video production and I have NEVER had a steady paying job in either field. I have had some contract work and I have been doing free work for 2 non-profit organizations for years. That's it. It's just that we have the Art Institute of Pittsburgh here cranking out design students like a factory. I would have to leave town to stand a chance and I have not been willing to do that.

I guess my point is that plan B is always an option... go where the money is!

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #73 11 years ago
    Quoted from Alex_levy:

Hahahahaa hahahah!!!!!!!!!

WTF?

#74 11 years ago

New screen name but same old same old .......

#75 11 years ago
    Quoted from Schusler:

I'm temporarily residing in Sycamore

howdy neighbor

#76 11 years ago

Huh, was just out near you guys the other day. My sister is in Kirkland. Small world.

#77 11 years ago

yeah, you got some 'splainen to do.

#79 11 years ago
    Quoted from Alex_levy:

Hey look everyone, Pin_Bill's misunderstood sarcasm is showing again....

#80 11 years ago

Best of luck to you. Been there, done that. It temporarily sucks, but if you stay positive; it always leads to something better.

If it helps, I am looking for a WCS94. I'd be intrested in buying....

#81 11 years ago
    Quoted from Alex_levy:

Laughing at someone's misfortune? Seriously?!?

#82 11 years ago
    Quoted from Alex_levy:

Can you imagine the sad little life this guy must have? To constantly hangout where no one likes him or wants him around. He must have nothing in his life. Either he's single and lonely and bitter or he has a family but would rather be with online people who can't stand him than sit and talk with his family. Has anyone met this guy? Is he socially inept and desperatly needs a friend or is he a deranged frik and deserves to be outcast from civilian?

#83 11 years ago

Sorry to hear about your job loss, Jorant. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do with your games. Personally, I think you should keep at least one (one that will sell quickly) as opposed to just dropping the hobby altogether but that's your call. Don't do anything too abruptly.

You should have no problems dumping the games as there seem to be people circling the wagon already.

#84 11 years ago

It's just the a-hole. Ignore..they'll remove him soon....

th_troll-1.gifth_troll-1.gif

#85 11 years ago
    Quoted from Alex_levy:

What a jerkoff!

#86 11 years ago

Real sorry to hear about your misfortune jorant, got my fingers crossed that things bounce back for you ASAP and you can look back on this with a smile as you buy pin number 7

#88 11 years ago

Okay, I want to post this here where everyone can see:

I have had countless pms asking to buy my pins. No pin has been unnamed. They almost all are pretty equally asked about.

I haven't really replied to any of them, since if I do sell, I will just make a sale thread. Please refer to that, if it comes to that. I will know if I am selling in about three weeks. I will say that all the pins are in fabulous shape. Not a single one is a disappointment. Also, at the risk of being an ass, I know what they are worth, and while I would love to give some discount of sorts, I really can't afford to do so.

How is the condition of these? Great. I can't tolerate scratches on glass. Wear on playfields. I can't stand credit dots or slightly loud DMDs. These are in really really great shape, each and every one. So, keep that in mind if push comes to shove.

If unemployment kicks in, I will try and keep them. If not, they're gone. Will let you all know. Thanks so much, and sorry for not replying to all of you via pm.

#89 11 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

You should bring it up. A car accident, at least in Louisiana, is not just cause to deny unemployment benefits either, at least not in Louisiana or Texas.

I agree, definitely bring it up. It looks like they were looking for any possible excuse to fire you. This may make the people at the unemployment office look closer at the basis for the termination and if it was really justified "for cause".

I'm not sure how his prior accident has any bearing on unemployment benefits. The way I understand it is that you may not be entitled to unemployment benefits if you were terminated for cause. The company is disputing his rights to collect unemployment benefits because it costs them money, and they are claiming he was terminated for cause (not laid off). If they have a policy of terminating people when they have been involved in a certain number of accidents, he may still have a problem being able to collect.

#90 11 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Okay, I want to post this here where everyone can see:
    I have had countless pms asking to buy my pins. No pin has been unnamed. They almost all are pretty equally asked about.
    I haven't really replied to any of them, since if I do sell, I will just make a sale thread. Please refer to that, if it comes to that. I will know if I am selling in about three weeks. I will say that all the pins are in fabulous shape. Not a single one is a disappointment. Also, at the risk of being an ass, I know what they are worth, and while I would love to give some discount of sorts, I really can't afford to do so.
    How is the condition of these? Great. I can't tolerate scratches on glass. Wear on playfields. I can't stand credit dots or slightly loud DMDs. These are in really really great shape, each and every one. So, keep that in mind if push comes to shove.
    If unemployment kicks in, I will try and keep them. If not, they're gone. Will let you all know. Thanks so much, and sorry for not replying to all of you via pm.

I sure as hell hope you didn't have any morons trying to take advantage of your situation by low-balling you!

#91 11 years ago

You should look into plumbing or electrical work. Every time I deal with one of those contractors they act like they don't need any new business and take their sweet time to get anything done and charge an arm and a leg for it. It must be profitable and plentiful the way those guys act.

#92 11 years ago

Sorry about your troubles!

What does it say about me that the first thing I did was check your location. I'm a bad person..

#93 11 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Real sorry to hear about your misfortune jorant, got my fingers crossed that things bounce back for you ASAP and you can look back on this with a smile as you buy pin number 7

So right! Every breakdown leads to a breakthrough. You WILL be better off in the future, so don't write off the love of pinball completely. Even if they all sell now, remember they brought you joy through your journey. It's the journey, not the destination.

#94 11 years ago

I must have missed something

If not I just lost any and all respect for someone.

#95 11 years ago
    Quoted from Alex_levy:

meant to link this too

#96 11 years ago
    Quoted from Shoot_Again:

If not I just lost any and all respect for someone.

It depends on how much respect you had left for Pinbill

#97 11 years ago
    Quoted from Shoot_Again:

meant to link this too

Bogus account (it wasn't the real AlexLevy) and it has been retired by a mod.

#98 11 years ago

Jorant man, forget about selling the pins right now, just focus on getting yourself right. Im sure you don't need the added pressure of a bunch of vultures circling. If you need any help with the job situation, feel free to ask us and I bet somebody can lend a hand.

Lets try to keep a collector collecting.

There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/it-makes-me-sad-but-i-may-have-to-purge-all-my-games-soon/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.