(Topic ID: 20222)

It makes me sad, but I may have to purge all my games soon

By Doctor6

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th_troll-1.gif
    There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

So, I only own 6 pins, but they're all in great shape and I love each and every one of them. But, I lost my job a few weeks ago, and with no sign of employment opportunity in sight, my pins may be on the chopping block.

I am fighting for unemployment at the moment. But, if I am denied, you may see six awesome machines for sale shortly. Will keep you posted.

#2 11 years ago

That stinks. Hope things rebound for you soon!

#3 11 years ago

THAT SUCKS!! Sorry to hear about your trials and tribulations. Keep on keepin on though with your head up, you will find the light at the end of the tunnel.
    BTW: what did you do at your job? Maybe someone can help.

#4 11 years ago

My only suggestion: Try and sell them to some friends who get it. Maybe you can buy your favorites back later at "friend" prices...

Quoted from Doctor6:

So, I only own 6 pins, but they're all in great shape and I love each and every one of them. But, I lost my job a few weeks ago, and with no sign of employment opportunity in sight, my pins may be on the chopping block.

I am fighting for unemployment at the moment. But, if I am denied, you may see six awesome machines for sale shortly. Will keep you posted.

#5 11 years ago

Good luck to you. You shouldn't have any trouble moving any of those titles. Not that this information makes you feel any better, I would guess...

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

Maybe you can buy your favorites back later at "friend" prices.

Not only a great idea, I was going to offer to do just that with either TSPP or RS.

#7 11 years ago

bummer. Hold on if you can. But real life has to come before pinball.

I'm in Rockford. If you get your back up against the wall, let me know. Maybe we can work out some type of arrangement where you have buyback rights for a certain period of time or something like that. Not trying to take advantage of your situation, but just thinking out loud for a way you might be able to get them back when things turn positive for you. Good luck, I know the employment situation here sucks big-time.

#8 11 years ago

Yea, sell them to a friend at a 'friend' price with an agreement to buy-back at the same price. That's the way to go if you have some good pinball pals in the area.

#9 11 years ago

PM sent. I am happy to help as well.

BTW-What is your skill set for work?

Jim

#10 11 years ago

Hey jorant,i also was made redundant a while back and now i can play pinball all day!!

#11 11 years ago

What line of work are you in? Maybe someone on here has a lead on a job that could help you.

Best of luck, hang in there. I was out of work for 6 months. It was scary but I got through it and like my new job better than my old job. Hopefully things will work out for you in a similar fashion.

#12 11 years ago

Thanks all. If I have to sell one or two to keep my head above water, I will live, but any more and I may just purge them all and move onto a different hobby. Hope it doesn't come to that.

#13 11 years ago

I'm very sorry to hear about your recent situation. I'd definitely be interested in the DW if you are forced to sell it.

#14 11 years ago

I'll add to "what do you do" questions. I need PHP programmers.

I am also interested in TS> if you have to sell (i hope it works out so you don't have to)

#15 11 years ago

sorry to hear this!

Let us know what your line of work is and how far you are willing to commute. Maybe we can help?

Madison is not that far and has lots of opportunities if you look in the right spots.

Also> like others, I would be happy to help out if it comes to you getting rid of games (RS and WCS).

Honestly, I hope it does not come to that.

#16 11 years ago

Best wishes ! I hope something works out for you.

LTG

#17 11 years ago

Sorry to hear about your situation. Too many people in that position these days. I am in WI and would be interested in TS and TSPP. I would sign a paper giving you buy back rights for a year at the price you sold them to me for. Hopefully things will turn around and you can keep them all.

#18 11 years ago

Man, that's harsh.
    Good luck and don't give up.

#19 11 years ago

Fellow Pinsiders in IL, hook this man up with a job!

Best wishes to you, sir...let the community know what we can do to help.

#20 11 years ago

I totally feel for you - I'm kind of in a rough situation right now, although not sure how bad it is going to get.

I would be wiling to help in anyway I can (DW).

#21 11 years ago

I hate when collectors have to sell their games for financial reasons. Or for a divorce - that's even worse!

#22 11 years ago

First off, I know how you feel. Three years ago I was in the same boat. No job, but for some reason the bills kept coming. At the time I only had one machine (TAF) and we were considering selling it. I knew that if I sold I may never get another. I was so thankful when we somehow managed to make it thru that "financial storm" without needing to sell.

I am encouraged to see the amount of support offered by fellow pinheads. It is nice to be part of such a wonderful and supportive pinball community.

Good luck and best wishes. A few prayers certainly can't hurt either.

#23 11 years ago

Well, here's my tale. I'll try and keep it short:

What did I do? Garbage man. Not a ton of pay, but about 60k a year. Okay pay, but horrible work.

Why did I get let go? The "official" answer is, I had three safety violations. A rolling stop, a fender bender, and then failure to wear my seat belt. HOWEVER, the last one is bogus, as I was on my route, and am currently fighting it. I switched sides from picker side to driver side from one house to the other (never left my route). The house was about half a mile away. But, I switched to sit. Normally, I always stayed on the left... but, the on board camera saw me, and they fired me for it. Totally bogus crap. I am fighting the fact that I was still on my route, and therefore a seat belt should't be needed. Never have I been in trouble for a seat belt violation before. But, three safety violations in a year get you fired. So, even though the subject never ever came up... fired.

The real reason? My supervisors and I got into a heated arguement about them canceling my therapy for an elbow that I hurt on the job. They canceled three therapy session because we were swamped at work. So I yelled about it. Three days later, fired for not wearing a seat belt on route. Sounds AWFULLY FISHY.

Before this, I did nothing but sale my whole life. Great at it, too (if you don't mind me saying so), but didn't pay as well as being a filthy disgusting garbage man. So, only "skill set" I have is a CDL class B driver. And so, my problem.

I'm shocked I can't get my job back, as I didn't violate my job on purpose, and to be fired for something that I don't even think is actually a true violation is infuriating, of course.

So... well, the rest is history. Pretty depressed, to be honest with you.

Thanks for the offers of buying back, but at this juncture, if I am forced to sell, buying back may not be a real good option for me. I spent so much on these, and dumped a lot of money into most of them (DW and WCS both have new playfields that I swapped in, at a pretty penny). So... yeah, if I start to sell more than 1 or 2, I may just give up the hobby all together. Too bad, as I am so damn knowledgeable with them now. I could fix them for a hobby, but that wouldn't make ends meet.

Thanks for listening anyhow

#24 11 years ago

What's your line of work, jorant? We might be able to help you find something.

#25 11 years ago

Guys, I have been without a job since mid Feb(3rd time in a 3 year span).When I got fired(I knew it was coming, business was terrible), I walked out of there smiling. I knew I had to make a serious change in my life. Right now, until I get all my ducks in a row, pinball is what keeps me going! I buy, sell , trade, repair, shop out, refurbish , and do odd opportunities when I can.

I have ZERO plans to work for anyone else again. I am figuring out my own job and how to make it my profession. No, it will not be in pinball. But after being in the automotive industry(mostly repair) for the last 24 years and have seen shop after shop suffer, go broke, and close, due to mismanagement, poor choices, and not adapting to this change in our economy, I am OUT.

I am looking into opening a fast-food lunchtime type of restaurant. No breakfast, no dinner, no Sundays. Feed the masses at a reasonable price. In by 9am, out by 3pm. Enjoy life and my hobbies. You had better believe there will be a couple of pins in there too!

To the OP, yes, your pinballs will be quick cash. But if they mean something to you, find something to make ends meet. Once the pinballs are gone, and the money still runs out, are you any better off? Recreate yourself and expectations. Take the chance to do something else. It may be scary as hell, but so is having nothing left.

#26 11 years ago

Hang in there, hopefully you can fight the dismissal. Sounds like bs to me.

Even if it doesn't work out, in the end it might turn out to be a blessing in disguise. It sounds like you didn't really like the job. Maybe a fresh look around the job market will turn up something better.

#27 11 years ago

You mean being covered in dog poop, sweating and hurting myself all the time isn't the best job out there?!

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Before this, I did nothing but sale my whole life. Great at it, too (if you don't mind me saying so), but didn't pay as well as being a filthy disgusting garbage man. So, only "skill set" I have is a CDL class B driver. And so, my problem.

Here is some advice and you can do what you want with it.

Do what you love and what you know you are good at. Thats where you will find success.

If you are really good at selling than you will make more money than that job. Thats a fact!
    I moved out at 15 and did not even finish school. Went back and did a GED. But I sell, Love to sell and I am really good at it. I will find the layer beneeath the layer of whats driving my clients and based on their needs help solve their problems ; )
    Doing that well makes me more money than most Senior Professionals. I have everything I want and a wonderfull life because I do what I love and I do it really well.

You have the magic now go find somewhere to work it. Start at a Mattress store , Car lot or business services but go back to your skill set and passion.

Good luck and get going right now!

#29 11 years ago

sorry to hear this as I too was laidoff. Now just a stay home dad, which is saving money on gas and Daycare which both were costing close to $300 a week, but nothing to save for a machine. Thankfully wife is an Engineer. grh450 is looking for a pin to buy. Good luck, maybe try and keep 1 pin so your not totally out of the pins.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

You have the magic now go find somewhere to work it. Start at a Mattress store , Car lot or business services but go back to your skill set and passion.

Not bad advice.

There's jobs out there, anyone who's willing to adapt and work can find something. You may need to find something to hold you over, take what's available and keep looking. Any job is better than no job, and it's always easier to find work when you have work.

Good luck, you have a great collection, so sale should not be difficult. TS is one I'd be interested in if it came down to it, but I truly hope you find a way to hang on to them.

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Pretty depressed, to be honest with you.

Dude. Hope posting made you feel better, total sukk factor what happened. Try this, every door closed is two doors open, just look around for the other doors, sometimes they are hidden . Or - if it does not kill you it makes you stronger. Don't let the world win, beat that sukker till he soils himself. Sometimes when you are at your lowest, you can see best under all the bullshit. Point best stated by Clint, "If you give up, you neither win nor live, and that's just the way it is." It will get better man, count on it

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

Now just a stay home dad

Whassssuuuppp man?! "just"? JUST?? it's a great job man, enjoy it. might be the best job on the planet. Certainly the most rewarding. And your customer(s) love you and call you Daddy and it's not a lawsuit. Beat that.

#33 11 years ago

Jorant, have you concidered going back to school for an Associates or Bachelors degree?

A little bit bout the other aspect of me the forum doesnt know till now. I work for an online school and we have federal financial aid available to those who qualify. I have helped alot of new students! Were not talking snot nosed 18 year olds either, no offense to those "yewts" as we still work with them! I'm speaking of the adult learner like say between the ages of 35-55 is the primary demographic we work with.

If you are looking at opening your own business I see alot of people do a management degree in business administration. Its a 3.5 year program online for a bachelors, and 1.5 years for an associates, and heck even putting on your resume you are back in school learning is a good thing to show employers. With your experience a 1.5 program may be what the doc ordered to show you have some professional scholastic training, increase your credentials on paper so to speak.

I know its a bit off the wall info to get, but wanted to extend the option. Wish you the best in your endeavors.

#34 11 years ago

Find a job you love, and you will never work a day in your life - Confucius

I always believe things happen for a reason, even if things are bad now, people land on their feet. Sounds trite, but don't give up and keep plugging away and good things will happen.

Good luck, and selling your pins to a friend who will sell them back to you for the same price is a great idea if you want to keep your pins.

#35 11 years ago

Sounds like you should take the opportunity to sieze a sales position.

However, if you prefer to use the CDL instead...

Are the driving violations on your CDL record or just your previous employer record?

If not on your CDL then I would look into IDOT and WDOT. They typically hire on with temp positions but those can become permenant pretty easy.

Second thought would be to look into smaller warehouses that do delivery (i.e. furniture, plumbing, etc...) as I know of at leats a few in Madison that seem to be always looking for CDL drivers with clean records. Maybe try Ferguson Plumbing Supplies >> I think there is one in Rockford? I know a few guys that deliver for the one here in Madison and they probably make 45k.

Good luck in your hunt.

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from The_Gorilla:

Not only a great idea, I was going to offer to do just that with either TSPP or RS.

Same here on the shadow maybe. Bummer to hear. Fingers crossed on the job front.

#37 11 years ago

Jorant: Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Call your department of social services too.. they usually have a HUGE listing of jobs open.

Good luck bud and stay motivated. This too shall pass.

#38 11 years ago

I am not a huge proponent of unions (even though I paid dues the whole time I worked...by choice) but this sounds like a classic case for intervention. Do you have union reps at your company??

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

I always believe things happen for a reason, even if things are bad now, people land on their feet. Sounds trite, but don't give up and keep plugging away and good things will happen.

I feel the same way. One door closes, another opens.

Quoted from jimjim66:

Find a job you love, and you will never work a day in your life - Confucius

This is so so true.

I don't know about IL but here in Mass even if your fired you can get a hearing with the Department of Unemployment Assistance (DUA) , not sure what it would be called in IL.
    Many people who are fired win their hearings and are allowed to collect Unemployment. There is also some help with Medical Insurance available as well. There are even programs that allow one to go to school full time and collect. Again this is in the People's Republic of Massachusetts.

In a way this is a good time to be unemployed as the Feds have programs to help out the States because so many people in the USA are out of work. I also hope everyone realizes that the Unemployment rate is more like 14.8%(even higher) versus the Gov's stated 8.2%.

Anyways it looks like a lot of the Folks here are willing to lend a hand in preserving your pins and helping you find a good job.

Great bunch of Folks here on Pinside, hat's off to All of you!!!

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Inquire with a attorney
    May cost a few bucks but also may be able to get your job back!
    I really hope you don't have to get to that point and I wish you the best of luck!

#41 11 years ago

I bet the real reason was that video with the duck!

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from pdman:

I also hope everyone realizes that the Unemployment rate is more like 14.8%(even higher) versus the Gov's stated 8.2%.
    Anyways it looks like a lot of the Folks here are willing to lend a hand in preserving your pins and helping you find a good job.
    Great bunch of Folks here on Pinside, hat's off to All of you!!!

That is an accurate statistic of 14.8% for unemployment pdman. My team here at the school talk about it in meetings all the time. Obviously Were faced with so many new students that were working good paying jobs, lost them for whatever reason, ussually due to hard times, and they are not sure what to do.

Heres another statistic to keep in mind too guys. I'm not dealing with exact figures so I apologize. All the exact figures are available here... http://www.bls.gov/

So roughly out of that 14.8% who are unemployed, only ~4% or so have some sort of degree (associates, bachelors, masters, etc) the rest do not. Would you rather be part of the 4% with a degree out of work or the 10% or so without one?

I don't want this to sound like a sales pitch, I feel for the OP who started this thread because I was in his position very recently thus why I offered my organization as a reference. ***I would prefer to keep my professional position separate from my civilian/pinball fan role here on the forums.***

If you are interested in school, please feel free to PM me about your inquiry and not on a thread, always willing to help!

Its good to know others here on pinside have offered options to keep the games you love and enjoy. Rips my heart out when I have to sell/give up something to make ends meet.

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from gatordad:

Inquire with a attorney
    May cost a few bucks but also may be able to get your job back!
    I really hope you don't have to get to that point and I wish you the best of luck!

It may not help to actually get the job back (I don't know what the employment laws are where he lives) but it very well may help him qualify for unemployment. It sounds like he has a good claim to qualify.

#44 11 years ago

What a bummer. Best of luck with your situation.

#45 11 years ago

same thing happened to my brother in law worked at waste management quite a few years with no problems then 2 accidents within 3 mos and he got fired I know they were trying not to give him unemployment but he fought it and was able to get it. If you want to talk to him about it let me know.

#46 11 years ago

Best of luck dude. Hope things look up.

#47 11 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Jorant: Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Jorant, BB is right. Go down swinging if you believe.

#48 11 years ago

Sell your pins. It sucks, we all love pinball, they bring us together and it's a social experience, but they're just things. When you're back on your feet and have some disposable income, get a nice one and build from there.

Best of luck.

#49 11 years ago

I can relate, lost my job Nov 11th, 2011, and enjoyed the holidays with no job (enjoyed...right!)
    I ended up finding a job Feb 1st. In th mean time did some around town jobs, and did sell one machine to help cover some bills. You see my wife is a stay at home mom.....sooooo, my check and a rental house was it!

You will be okay, but at least you have instant cash with pinballs, see, so when people say pinball is not a good savings account is full of Sh*t

Good luck to you, start networking now, also hit the unemployment website.

#50 11 years ago

Hopefully u find something soon. Might take a pay cut, but like others have said maybe u can do something with truck driving.

If u do decide to sell, I call dibs on wcs94. I would totally sell it back at same price if u wanted it back when u get back on your feet.

There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/it-makes-me-sad-but-i-may-have-to-purge-all-my-games-soon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.