(Topic ID: 19276)

It is official. Real pinball has ruined virtual pinball for me.

By blondetall

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by asay
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Jurassic_Park.JPG

#1 7 years ago

Step 1: Got husband addicted to pinball on the virtual tables on Pinball Arcade.
    Step 2: Found/bought JP.
    Step 3: Played virtual pinball while waiting for JP; put money towards Twilight Zone kickstarter.
    Step 4: JP arrived. Decorated pinball area then played nonstop when not sleeping, working, or lurking Pinside.
    Step 5: Got all excited about MM, FH, Bride of Pinbot, etc on virtual pinball. Began countdown to 6/26 release date, happily contemplated how much money I was saving over the real things.
    Step 6: Went home from work yesterday, tried to play virtual MM. Screamed "What the hell?!?" at the TV a few times because suddenly now the physics are all off, the flippers are delayed, and all I could do was get the ball in the other flipper lane. Realize virtual pinball sucks.
    Step 7: Threw down controller. Went back to real pinball. Fed T-Rex (his name is Chompy) a few goats.

(Step 8: Looked around house wondering what I can sell to eventually get a real MM or TZ...)

#2 7 years ago

Yeah, I dont think they are really comparable. THey are good for learning the rules of each game though!

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

(Step 8: Looked around house wondering what I can sell to eventually get a real MM or TZ...)

You still have a soul?

#4 7 years ago

If Im curios about a game I will try it on vp but it does not compare to a real one by far!

#5 7 years ago

But it’s still nice to have. I don’t have any locations (that I know of) near me that have the classics.

I can tell a big difference between the virtual BOP and the BOP in my arcade. There is just no comparison. I can hit the left ramp more often and get higher scores on virtual.

#6 7 years ago

I'm totally on your 8-step program, only I forgot to decorate my pinball area!

FAIL! I need to get on that. But I admit, I was really digging Pinball Arcade, playing it a ton, and since our first machine arrived, I haven't turned it on. So sad.

#7 7 years ago

what are you playing it on? some delay could be the console to tv..... try Visualpinball (pinmame). They use that software for full cabinet visual pinball emulation(s). Runs on most newish pc's (windows xp or 7). Love it and it got me obsessed with MM.

#8 7 years ago

I'm playing on a PS3 with wireless controllers, which has a big delay. I'm sure I can get used to it, eventually. Husband has it on his PS Vita and it seems to react immediately, but it's a tiny screen and I don't know the tables, so would much rather watch it on the 82".

I'm totally on your 8-step program, only I forgot to decorate my pinball area!

Decorating is half the fun. As soon as I paid for JP, I started ordering posters and little dinos. I'm looking for a shelf to hold my DVD statue (on the top right for now) and a can of Barbasol, and maybe another tree/plant or two. Will have to rethink decor if/when I get another pinball though, so not going too crazy with it for now.

Jurassic_Park.JPG

#9 7 years ago

TV probably wasn't on game mode and the filter was causing the delay from when you hit the flipper button to when it actually registers on the screen - my TV has terrible lag if I try to play the PS3 on any other mode than "Game Mode"

But Vpinball is fun for playing games that you don't see that often, and to get very familiar with the rules so when you see the game in person you already know how to play it well.

#10 7 years ago

There are many differences but I never substitute one for the other.....the virtual game got me into the real game. They are both fun in there own ways....and I go in playing them with that same formula

#11 7 years ago

I can play the virtual one's on my phone.. ie anywhere. I do enjoy that convenience. That being said, the real deal has no substitute.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from Nibbles:

TV probably wasn't on game mode and the filter was causing the delay from when you hit the flipper button to when it actually registers on the screen - my TV has terrible lag if I try to play the PS3 on any other mode than "Game Mode"

Husband is the electronics expert... so I just tell him what I want to play and let him set it up. It takes a super programmed LED remote to turn everything on and I think he's got it set to change over to the right modes, but I really don't know. I'll ask him about this though, and thanks a bunch for the suggestion. It may just be the way it is, and I'm expecting too much. It seemed fine when I didn't have a real one to compare it to.

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

Looked around house wondering what I can sell to eventually get a real MM or TZ...)

Welcome to the sickness. We are like drug addicts only with pinball machines HAHA. Its just a sick addiction.

The one think i never understood is when people complain they have no room left or only room for 1 pin. I would remove furniture to make room for a pin. Thank god I dont have that problem but if i did the first thing that would go would be the dining room table! We can just use the kitchen table to eat on untill that goes...

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from 6S3NC3:

Welcome to the sickness. We are like drug addicts only with pinball machines HAHA. Its just a sick addiction.
    The one think i never understood is when people complain they have no room left or only room for 1 pin. I would remove furniture to make room for a pin. Thank god I dont have that problem but if i did the first thing that would go would be the dining room table! We can just use the kitchen table to eat on untill that goes...

Funny you should say that... we just craigslisted a dining room table last week to make room. At the time I said, "This must be how crack addicts feel."

#15 7 years ago

A friend of mine came over recently with his son, who had played pinball only on his Nintendo. He proceeded to lose a lot of balls in attempt to cradle them by holding the flipper up, but we watched the ball roll all the way past the tip and then into the drain. It was funny to me because I knew that probably worked 100% on fake video pinball. I used to play Visual Pinball before getting a real one, but at least it got me interested enough to buy a real one. Of course then the addiction ensued and now I can't park in the garage for all the games.

#16 7 years ago

I agree that video pinball will never be the same as real pinball.
    But, take for what it is , it's quite well done and makes pinball portable.
    It would be a real pain in the ass to take your Twilight Zone with you everywhere.
    Soon you can just play on your i-pad anywhere.
    Now looking around your house for something to sell for a Twilight Zone might work, but you may have to look into selling the actual house for the MM.

#17 7 years ago

Oh I still love the virtual, and appreciate being able to play these games that I otherwise probably will never be able to play in real life, much less own at this rate. It was just way more fun before I had the real thing to compare it to. I'll get used to it. I just won't rely on it to fulfill the pinball collecting disease that seems to have taken over.

#18 7 years ago

Easy fix: Win the lottery

Ok, maybe not that easy, but it would solve your problem! Best of luck, post pics of your pinball arcade if you do win please!

#19 7 years ago

it plays with no delay for me. ( i have it on ps3, xbox, and ipad) You can set up for visual delay in the projector settings (i am assuming your 82" tv is either front or rear projection) delay can be significant on those.

But yes, real tables are better. Pinball arcade is as good as virtual pinball gets.

#20 7 years ago

Welcome home, we've been waiting for you. We are all mental for spending this much on pins not even to mention the time forever lost obsession over them.

#21 7 years ago

You did it!!!! Congratulations.....your rehab is complete : )

1 month later
    #22 7 years ago

What pisses me off most about the pinball arcade is the lack of cradle separation and light tips. The flipper has two modes. Up. Down. That's about it.

And is it just me or does Ripley's not have a tilt?

#23 7 years ago

Totally feel you. Went to PAPA. Came home still craving the silver ball. Fired up the ipad. Not. The. Same. Currently searching for my first pin now!

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

Step 1: Got husband addicted to pinball on the virtual tables on Pinball Arcade.
    Step 2: Found/bought JP.
    Step 3: Played virtual pinball while waiting for JP; put money towards Twilight Zone kickstarter.
    Step 4: JP arrived. Decorated pinball area then played nonstop when not sleeping, working, or lurking Pinside.
    Step 5: Got all excited about MM, FH, Bride of Pinbot, etc on virtual pinball. Began countdown to 6/26 release date, happily contemplated how much money I was saving over the real things.
    Step 6: Went home from work yesterday, tried to play virtual MM. Screamed "What the hell?!?" at the TV a few times because suddenly now the physics are all off, the flippers are delayed, and all I could do was get the ball in the other flipper lane. Realize virtual pinball sucks.
    Step 7: Threw down controller. Went back to real pinball. Fed T-Rex (his name is Chompy) a few goats.

That's what you get for playing my MM

Btw. I fixed it up even nicer.

2 years later
    #25 4 years ago
    #26 4 years ago
    Quoted from Nibbles:

But Vpinball is fun for playing games that you don't see that often, and to get very familiar with the rules so when you see the game in person you already know how to play it well.

I have played both and VP is better then beat down real games. Real games that are working good are better then VP.

#27 4 years ago

Heh, 2 years later nothing has changed, once you go real thing it's hard to go back. I used to own a virtual pin myself, sold it to make room for more pins.

I'd rather have the beat down game. I can restore it!

#28 4 years ago

Real pins for the wins!

#29 4 years ago

Your husband is incredibly lucky. I wish my girlfriend would beg for more pins.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 209.99
    $ 10.00
    $ 39.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pinball Z
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 42.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    € 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    € 8.40
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 15.00
    Lighting - Other
    Slap Save Creations
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball USA
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside