Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

lazerplayfield2.jpg
P1020362.JPG
lazerflyer2.jpg
lazerplayfield.jpg
P1011799.JPG

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

Well, the Lazer Lord from Ebay does exsist. It arrived in the shop yesterday. Very clean game, does play. Here is a picture of it. We will shop the game, keeping every original part possible, and documenting the process. Detailed pictures and lots of background info will be forth coming from the new owner of the machine. He has something special planned. He will provide pictures to the ipdb as well.

Paul
homegameroomsupply.com

P1011799.JPGP1011799.JPG

#2 11 years ago

Very cool, I wondered who outbid me!

#3 11 years ago

What did it go for?

#4 11 years ago

#5 11 years ago

How many of those were made?

#6 11 years ago

I heard the story behind it the other day. Fascinating stuff, but I'll let the new owner share when they are ready!

#7 11 years ago

That's crazy. I thought maybe that was a typo...

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I heard the story behind it the other day. Fascinating stuff, but I'll let the new owner share when they are ready!

That's what was always thought, but apparently there could have been something like 66 made. Someone on RGP contacted Stern and spoke with Jim Belt and they dug through the archives, supposedly, and came up with that as a possible number produced. Who knows though...

#9 11 years ago

Gary Stern an I were just talking about that Pinball yesterday and today.. Damn I should have asked him if he knew the production numbers

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from MattElder:

That's what was always thought, but apparently there could have been something like 66 made. Someone on RGP contacted Stern and spoke with Jim Belt and they dug through the archives, supposedly, and came up with that as a possible number produced. Who knows though...

That 66 number was already corrected in another post.

66 was the number of titles total, not the number of LLs.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from Wisconsinpinball:

Well, the Lazer Lord from Ebay does exsist. It arrived in the shop yesterday. Very clean game, does play. Here is a picture of it. We will shop the game, keeping every original part possible, and documenting the process. Detailed pictures and lots of background info will be forth coming from the new owner of the machine. He has something special planned. He will provide pictures to the ipdb as well.

Paul, make sure you make copies of the ROMs. The ones on IPDB are incorrect.

If one of those existing ROMs should fail or become corrupted - all would be lost forever.

#12 11 years ago

how does one even acquire a one-off prototype?

#13 11 years ago

The owner claimed he bought it at the auction when Stern went out of business.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

when Stern went out of business

You know, after reading the wikipedia article...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stern_%28game_company%29

I never realized they went out of business and came back, I sort of have a new respect for Gary now. Seems like Stern was never successful at pinball, but he's kept it alive.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

. Seems like Stern was never successful at pinball, but he's kept it alive.

Current Stern is not old Stern. Current Stern is DE/Sega , correct me if wrong.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

toyotaboy said:. Seems like Stern was never successful at pinball, but he's kept it alive.
Current Stern is not old Stern. Current Stern is DE/Sega , correct me if wrong.

Correct.

#17 11 years ago

Interesting. I look forward to reading the updated info when it comes out on the IPDB. Would be cool to see some video of it in action as well.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

You know, after reading the wikipedia article...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stern_%28game_company%29

I never realized they went out of business and came back, I sort of have a new respect for Gary now. Seems like Stern was never successful at pinball, but he's kept it alive.

Quoted from rommy:

toyotaboy said:

. Seems like Stern was never successful at pinball, but he's kept it alive.

Current Stern is not old Stern. Current Stern is DE/Sega , correct me if wrong

Yeah, they're different companies, but Gary was at the helm of both. 3 years after Stern Electronics closed up, he started up Data East with Joe Kaminkow and Shelley Sax. They then became Sega, and ultimately Stern, when Gary bought the company from Sega.

I don't think I'd say that Gary hasn't been successful with pinball. Yes, his first company went under, but he started up the other one 25 years ago and has carried it through different ownership, nasty times in the economy, put out some great titles with nice runs, and kept going when everyone else quit making pins. I'd say he's pretty successful at what he does.

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That 66 number was already corrected in another post.

Ah, thanks for that info. I definitely missed that other thread then...

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from MattElder:

vid1900 said:That 66 number was already corrected in another post.
Ah, thanks for that info. I definitely missed that other thread then...

What happened was they quoted from this page:

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=14472

and thought that it said 66 LLs were made, not 66 titles.

Just a poorly written web page, that's all.

It says the same 66 thing about Nugent and we know there were 2.6K made of those!:

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=14609

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Paul, make sure you make copies of the ROMs.

+1 Absolute must during the restoration process.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Wisconsinpinball said:Well, the Lazer Lord from Ebay does exsist. It arrived in the shop yesterday. Very clean game, does play. Here is a picture of it. We will shop the game, keeping every original part possible, and documenting the process. Detailed pictures and lots of background info will be forth coming from the new owner of the machine. He has something special planned. He will provide pictures to the ipdb as well.
Paul, make sure you make copies of the ROMs. The ones on IPDB are incorrect.
If one of those existing ROMs should fail or become corrupted - all would be lost forever.

Wonder if the ROMS are same as Quicksilver ?? Unknown.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The owner claimed he bought it at the auction when Stern went out of business.

Sort of, but there is more to it. It's a really interesting way that it got there, I'll say that much.

I'll also say this -- there may have been a few more built, but I would be floored if another one came to light. It was rumored that they were all destroyed.

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Wonder if the ROMS are same as Quicksilver ?? Unknown.

Not the same.

Different sounds and scoring. Guys with Quicksilver tried to load the supposed LL roms from the IPDB .

This was posted a few weeks ago on RGP when the whole LL thing came to life. Quicksilver with LL roms:

"
Just tried it and it will boot up the the rules are different. It
will not play though. I really like the background sound and the
sounds the the game. Shooting sounds (Lazer Sounds). My curiosity is
going nuts now. I think there is probably a way to make this work on
a quicksilver just have to spend some time with it. The coils did not
fire at all. Flippers enabled and switches were active. Interesting
to note is the game utilizes the lane guide lights which quicksilver
turns off when you get extra ball.

Bill"

#25 11 years ago

You guys are emailing me about 7.5k being a lot for a game nobody ever saw, the seller would have made even more money had he responded to questions about the auction.

A little more effort on his part would have made him a lot more cash.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You guys are emailing me about 7.5k being a lot for a game nobody ever saw, the seller would have made even more money had he responded to questions about the auction.

A little more effort on his part would have made him a lot more cash.

Agreed. It must be nice to own the only pin of this title known to exist.

#27 11 years ago

Didn't that 'operation dessert storm' prototype sell on ebay for only $5,500? Of course, maybe not comparable because I think it had incomplete coding, where the lazer lord was probably complete.

#28 11 years ago

I posted a topic about this on VP Forums when it first showed up on eBay. There are a few doubters as to this being the real thing.
But looking at photos of the machine show a really well made playfield and backglass so I doubt someone put that much work into a fake. I hope to see more on the machine to verify that it is indeed real. If it is real, (and I believe it probably is) congratulations on getting it.

#29 11 years ago

More pics!!!

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

There are a few doubters as to this being the real thing.

It's real alright! I saw it in person this past Saturday. Plenty of preshopped high def pics were taken. Post-shopped pics will be taken as well. As Paul said in the very first post, the whole story will come out later and I am sworn to secrecy not to show or say anything.

I did have my picture taken with it to add to my "famous people I have met wall"... which includes Gallagher, Penn & Teller and Bill Engvall.

#31 11 years ago

I think we can all agree that LL does in fact utilize the Quicksilver playfield layout, but surely other people can see that the ebay LL does not look at all like the LL in the Stern flyer as far as playfield and plastics art are concerned. After checking out a couple of really good hi res photos of the ebay pin against the flyer side by side, the ebay LL looks to be nothing more than possibly a really good fake. Yes, clearly I believe that there is a real pin titled Lazer Lord that just sold on ebay for 7400.00, just not "THE" Lazer Lord shown on the Stern flyer. The playfield art is definitely not the same. The playfield art and plastic art on the flyer are totally different than the ebay pin. I have included two links below that show both in very large detail. You can see that the flyer playfield does not have the circular graphic around the scoring inserts, it does not have the "arrow" graphic pointing to center bank of targets (4), nor the "arrow" graphic pointing to the advance multiplier targets (3) on the right side below the spinner.

The flyer also does not show there to be any smoke graphic around the scoring inserts or have the vertical yellow graphic lines going up through pop bumpers and into the rollover lanes. The slingshot plastic graphics are not the same and the left side captive ball plastic does not have the smoke on it like the ebay pin. I gotta believe that someone took some serious time to "create" the ebay LL, and why not though? Supposedly there are no others to compare it to, and at a profit of over 7 grand, why not give it a go?

Hi res flyer (it's 2534 x 3180, once viewed, can be clicked on again to enlarge further)
http://flyers.cdyn.com/pingames/stern/300d...rd-1984-f-2.jpg

1200 x 1600 of the ebay photo
http://pinballbash.com/forum/index.php?topic=11879.0

The backglass however looks to be spot on, outside of the difference in the 6/7 digit displays from the flyer to the ebay pin. Another observation is that the playfield art on the ebay LL appears to duplicate the gameplay rules as Quicksilver, which have been shown previously to be different according to the roms.

#32 11 years ago

Closeup of flyer (download for full size):

lazerplayfield.jpglazerplayfield.jpg

#33 11 years ago

Closeup of head flyer (download for full size):

lazerflyer2.jpglazerflyer2.jpg

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from Quicksilver1:

I gotta believe that someone took some serious time to "create" the ebay LL, and why not though? Supposedly there are no others to compare it to, and at a profit of over 7 grand, why not give it a go?

That is a whole lot of hours to draw up all that art, then get it silkscreened on the backglass, cab, playfield, and get the roms reconfigured to run on a QS.

Even if it "only" took 2 months start to finish, the guy made what, $10 an hour?

If you had those skills and equipment available, why not make a more profitable venture, like rescreening MM playfields @ $1500 each?

#35 11 years ago

Just to share , and linked to the LL article : My quicksilver reinstalled with LEDS..

Thinking to destroy it to make a LL model at 7k!

P1020362.JPGP1020362.JPG

#36 11 years ago

Looking good.

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That is a whole lot of hours to draw up all that art, then get it silkscreened on the backglass, cab, playfield, and get the roms reconfigured to run on a QS.
Even if it "only" took 2 months start to finish, the guy made what, $10 an hour?
If you had those skills and equipment available, why not make a more profitable venture, like rescreening MM playfields @ $1500 each?

OK, point taken. Still though, you skirted around my observation of the differences listed. How would you explain the huge difference in playfield and plastics art from the official LL flyer photo compared to the LL pin sold on ebay?

#38 11 years ago

@Quicksilver1 :
Zoom on the flyer (Playfield ) of the LL , and you will see right from the right bumper , the chick of quicksilver !

Sounds they made a early announcement, with a flyer of QS ..

Right ?

#39 11 years ago

Details joined.

lazerplayfield2.jpglazerplayfield2.jpg

#40 11 years ago

The flyer is simply a quicksilver with the Lazer Lord backglass. You can clearly see the playfield is a quicksilver, (that is actually pretty worn around the bonus inserts). The machine is not a "fake". It is the real deal. The seller was/is 81 years old. He had no idea it was the only one made when he bought it, or when he first went to sell it. Only after the Ebay auction started did he come to find out that it was a 1 off machine. I talked with the new owner tonight, and he is working on getting the whole story of the game, with all the info possible.
As was mentioned, lots of HQ pics were taken over the weekend before the machine is shopped, the rom images have been saved.

The flyer was clearly a quickie job to gauge interest in the game from distributors, which by this point was too late for Stern to hold on.

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from Wisconsinpinball:

The flyer was clearly a quickie job to gauge interest in the game from distributors, which by this point was too late for Stern to hold on

Being in the consumer product field, and working with marketing, I know first hand this happens all the time (prototypes aren't finished, takes marketing weeks to get flyers or manuals typed up and printed), so either you end up seeing a fudged photoshop job (or back then, a carefully literal cut and pasted photo), or they quickly mock something up based on existing product.

#42 11 years ago

My apologies. Just in comparing the two, clearly they didn't match. Parts of the flyer playfield certainly looked like Quicksilver, but some didn't, as even at it's largest size, the flyer image is fairly crude. The worn insert area would also explain a lot. I am more than happy to have my post removed if need be as I am new here and certainly don't want to get a bad rep right off the bat by accusing something to be faked that is not. Again, didn't mean to ruffle any feathers here. Looking forward to seeing the pics and hearing the whole story.

#43 11 years ago

No feathers ruffled , I just wanted to follow up with a little more info. I would love to just post the pics and tell all I know about it, but it is not my place to do so. I was hired to shop the game, while keeping as original as possible. It is a great piece of history from the Stern era. Amazing it survived.
Paul
homegameroomsupply.com

#44 11 years ago

Very interested in hearing the story on this, yet alone seeing the pictures!

#45 11 years ago
Quoted from Quicksilver1:

My apologies. Just in comparing the two, clearly they didn't match. Parts of the flyer playfield certainly looked like Quicksilver, but some didn't, as even at it's largest size, the flyer image is fairly crude. The worn insert area would also explain a lot. I am more than happy to have my post removed if need be as I am new here and certainly don't want to get a bad rep right off the bat by accusing something to be faked that is not. Again, didn't mean to ruffle any feathers here. Looking forward to seeing the pics and hearing the whole story.

No problem.

I'd rather live amongst people who question everything than among people with emerald glasses.

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from lb45:

Just to share , and linked to the LL article : My quicksilver reinstalled with LEDS..
Thinking to destroy it to make a LL model at 7k!

Attachments P1020362.JPG (152.3 KB, 0 downloads) 10 hours old

Handsome game!

#47 11 years ago

That backglass iz bitchin!!

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

But looking at photos of the machine show a really well made playfield and backglass so I doubt someone put that much work into a fake.

To make a great 1 off fake like this one appears, you would have to spend a lot more than $7.5k.

Robert

#49 11 years ago

Oh my, what an amazing backglass.

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

girloveswaffles said:But looking at photos of the machine show a really well made playfield and backglass so I doubt someone put that much work into a fake.
To make a great 1 off fake like this one appears, you would have to spend a lot more than $7.5k.
Robert

Exactly. And if more pictures (and maybe videos) come out, I think we'll find this is more than likely real.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 199.95
$ 69.00
Electronics
Pinball Haus
Electronics
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 98.95
Electronics
Penny K Pinball
Electronics
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Pro
Sound/Speakers
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/it-does-exist-lazer-lord and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.