Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 350 posts
  • 128 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by RyanStl
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

09BA1F86-80C4-495E-9DB1-E4528694C698 (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-06-06 at 3.01.34 PM (resized).jpg
    out (resized).jpg
    1043pic (resized).jpg
    fonv (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    6A489B27-5CA9-4BFB-9BB5-2F7CDDBD141B (resized).jpeg
    6ADF8CF1-35E1-4B4F-9C1C-B8BC976BEFA6 (resized).png
    miso (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    xx828 (resized).jpg
    take-my-money-fry (resized).png
    EC900E62-FF3D-406E-B3FE-821186566BBE (resized).png
    scooby (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    day of the tentacle ed stamps (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Going down. Groceries and gas are more important for people. Along with diminishing 401ks, out of control inflation generally etc etc
    Doubt prices drop through the floor but settle down to more reasonable levels. Supply and demand and an economy likely heading into a recession at some point this year or 2023
    Think the hobby was strong right before and after Woz emerged? Nope. Bought a NIB LOTRLE on close out for $5k. SM and many other pins “on sale”.
    Stern needed an investor to stay in business
    TWD? Stern initially said they weren’t even going to make “premiums”.
    Maybe we go back to 2016 or so levels short term. Not that long ago
    A lot of people look at pins as “investments”. The risk/reward is to the downside.

Some good points there Iceman. I notice prices are still rather higher for new titles but there's some more "deals" here and there. I've seen lightly used HUO Avengers Premiums sell in the $7500 range whereas 6 months ago those seemed to be $8k. Not a huge drop but something. The crazy Stern LE prices are definitely down a bit but still way up compared to the past 2 years.

Older titles, most of the pre LCD era games, is where I'm seeing the biggest drop and "deals". I think the LCD era games are becoming more and more appealing to buyers then they already are which may be causing some to offload their older games.

Personally, and I know some people will disagree with this, I'm buying a fully loaded virtual pinball machine for my next game (already ordered). There's a ton of EM's, Bally Williams era games, and original virtual pins I want to play. The technology is pretty damn good today compared to years past. I'm sure it will be worth half of what I paid 5 years from now but oh well, as others have said none of this stuff is an investment and I can't take it with me to the grave anyway lol.

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Virtual pinball?!?!?
    The insanity, it appears, is just beginning!!

I know lol. Nothing will ever beat real pinball machines but some of these loaded vpins are pretty impressive. I would love to own 100+ pins but I'll never have the room or pinball funds for them. There's also a lot of titles I once owned that I would like to play again as a vpin.

#35 1 year ago
    Quoted from Neal_W:

Just because it's an LE doesn't make it fun or desirable. Looking at you Turtles and Zeppelin.
    TAF up $2300/yr since 2019.
    [quoted image]

Except TMNT is fun, desirable, and is one of Stern's more loaded games.

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from the9gman:

I don't, I went that route a year ago I kept the games I loved from my teenage years sold the rest bought a Vpin and it was the right decision. Its really tough to get the machines you really want ...availability and budget are a big issue. When I sold my last system 80B , the guy that bought it had never played a newer Vpin ...his comment "wow that is really immersive" so for the guys who don't give a crap about the opinion of a pinball purist they are excellent. I find when I play the real machines in the wild I get a lot of free games because the shots from the flippers are the same.

Good points, agree. The technology for Vpin's has really come a long way. My plan is to stick with real games from the LCD era (and Ghostbusters as it's my favorite movie of all time) and then use the virtual pinball machine for everything else. I have no plans to ever buy another pre LCD era game once the virtual pin arrives.

#45 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Back to normal!

$2k for a fairly used Twister that they will then try and sell for $4k. Also...it's a Twister lol.

#47 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Chum bought Twister for $1K. He didn’t buy Scorpion.
    Twister usually follows the $1 per pound rule, so maybe we’re headed in the right direction.

Seller got ripped off bad, really bad.

#57 1 year ago
    Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

Even better than, and arguably cheaper than Vpin is VR pinball using VPVR... It's pretty amazing, and an Meta Quest 2 headset with a cheap gaming laptop will run you about $1300ish. (Or go for both VPVR AND a Vpin. Best of the virtual AND VR realms.)

Yeah, VR pinball is fun. I really tried giving VR pinball a proper shot, even built a Pinsim cabinet for immersion. For me a loaded and full size virtual pin blows away a VR pinball setup. The immersion with a Quest 2 + the Pinsim was great but at the same time it was missing so much IMO. First off the display quality for pinball isn't that great, insert text has a slight blur to it unless looking very close and the overall clarity isn't close to a 4K 120hz monitor. The field of view is also rather low which results in a small sweet spot. The lack of the weight of a full size cabinet was also very noticeable, plus a dedicated cabinet has the space and distancing for a proper SSF + DOF setup along with a shaker motor + gear motor.

The biggest bummer for me with VR pinball is wearing a VR headset. With real pinball you use your own eyes, you can grab a beer, glance at the sports game on your TV, etc. With VR pinball that's all gone, as is any social aspect which is a huge part of real pinball. VR still seems like a theme park ride in a sense it's something just want to do for a few minutes. While the display of a full size vpin is still just a screen it offers more immersion IMO as there's no headset required, nothing is more immersive then the real world. A full size cabinet with SSF, DOF, a shaker motor, gear motor, and the right PC + display provides one hell of an experience. It also costs a hell of a lot more compared to a VR pinball setup which is something to consider. I would like to give VR pinball another try with a loaded full size cabinet as you said.

#87 1 year ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Once I experienced true 3D virtual pinball inside a VR headset, I couldn't return to the flat 2D graphics on a standard VP. The fact you can move your head and line up a shot, look into the pinball machine, etc - it's the definition of immersion. It's exactly how it works in real life (the view you can get) vs the normal virtual pinball machine that is basically a tv in a box and everything is static. And with the overpriced VP machines being bought by folks for 8K+.... I struggle why anyone would buy one of these things now. I get the headset comment - the fact you have to put something on your face is not ideal but your friends can easily watch your game on your PC screen while you play inside VR so you can still have the social interaction.
    Forget oculus/meta VR. Forget taking up the space with a fake pinball machine that is a glorified TV holder so it's vertical. Get a valve index, a great graphics card and watch how immersive and real the game feels in VR. Match that with the pin controller and about 4k+ in savings and it's the next level.

I'm buying a full size dedicated Vpin for the reasons I stated in the comments above. VR pinball just isn't for me and still seems inferior even with the best headsets compared to the full size dedicated vpins. Setting up base stations for sensors (as with the Valve Index), dealing with VR controllers, cables, and ultimately wearing the VR headset itself all still has that carnival ride vibe, something that's fun for just a few minutes.

IMO there is zero social interaction with VR pinball, no one wants to watch a screen with some ones head moving all over the place and then share a sweaty headset between balls lol. I'll happily pay $4k more for what I believe is the better experience. There's a reason you rarely, if ever, see Xtreme Gaming Cabinets advertising their VR Pinsim on YouTube, all coverage is for the full size dedicated cabinets. I reached out to them regarding their Pinsim and full size cabinets, Pinsim has a 1 month wait whereas the full size cabinets are 6+ months.

As far as moving around goes with VR pinball that seems cool but I don't even move around much with my real pins, except for when a ball is stuck and I'm trying to find it. Below is White Water running on a 49" 4K monitor, there's not much 2D about it, still 3D but just lacking being able to look under objects which I'm not sure how many people even do with real pinball.

aa7a95e8b89d1550eb3b7b615350227b48633f9c (1) (resized).jpgaa7a95e8b89d1550eb3b7b615350227b48633f9c (1) (resized).jpg

#109 1 year ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Big difference bw 3d and 2d. There is no depth in 2d. The white water you show looks nice but when you look around it’s flat and clearly fake. You can then play that same exact table but in 3d. VR gives you the same feel as you would get in real life Bc, well, real life isn’t 2d. Not sure what is complex about this. So your friend watches someone play a big tv in a box or they watch your pc monitor as the person plays 3d - not sure I follow the difference. I sure understand the difference though bw 3d and 2d. Now you need to ensure you have a good enough pc to actually play the vr version at 90fps but it can’t be beat.
    Xtreme gaming doesn’t push vr Bc the margins on their normal virtual pinball tables are insane when people buy them. Majority have no idea how these things work, send whatever they ask and then they’re lost when the thing stops working. It’s a sad state of affairs and a complete rip off but hey - everyone can spend their money like they like.

I'm not looking around or standing to the sides while playing, never do while playing my real pins unless a ball is stuck. It sounds cool to lean over and look down the shooter lane but who does that with real pinball? lol. Also...VR is still fake as well, and much easier to tell it's fake when having to wear a headset. I'll take the slightly flat look, that still very much has a 3D effect, over wearing a headset with a small sweet spot, a FOV that isn't anywhere close to the actual eye, and having to look at fuzzy insert textures (happens when you look at insert text on a screen that is 1/2" away from your eyes). Not wearing a headset at all is far closer to the real world then having to wear one. People don't wear a headset while playing real pins...

If full 3D was that critical and popular we would all own 3D TV's, there would be a ton of 3D content, and we would be wearing 3D glasses with our friends and family to watch shows and sports. No one does that though as for a lot of people having to wear glasses, let alone a headset that completely blocks off the outside world, is a turn off, it doesn't work well for social situations, and it's not as immersive as the real world.

Not sure why we are bashing both of these back and forth, both are cool but real pinball is still better Also not sure why you keep saying the prebuilt full size cabinets are a rip off. Some are but there are some models that have a lot going into them not just in terms of hardware but also software. I priced out building my own with a replica quality cabinet, high end PC parts, DOF + SSF, shaker, etc. Price? Around $6k - $7k and that doesn't include configuring any of the tables or the 50+ hours it would take me just to build it. I'll happily spend $2k - $3k more for something that works out of the box with 1,000+ tables installed, I don't have the patience or the time to build and configure my own. The people that make their own are very talented, wish I could pull something like that off.

Here's a screenshot from YouTube of a new Iron Maiden vpin being worked on by VPin Workshop. Flat? No...looks damn good (thought it was the real pin at first) and has a 3D affect as with all of the best virtual tables.

Screenshot 2022-06-02 072333 (resized).jpgScreenshot 2022-06-02 072333 (resized).jpg

#142 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:I for one am excited about prices getting back to some what of a normalcy. I’ve been putting some money aside to pay for lessons!
    [quoted image]

LOL. I really hope that is a joke, the sandwich part had be cracking up (with 3 deli meats!).

#186 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I find it interesting that it took an economic recession to finally, FINALLY, pop the price bubble. People are spending much more on basics like gas, food, rent, vehicles, mortgages, and utilities and can no longer afford to charge these kinds of prices. The games will not sell unless they come back down to earth. Sellers need to sell to pay for other things, buyers can't afford what they are asking.
    And even then it will be difficult to move them as time goes on and this inflation and recession gets worse. This hobby is entertainment, not an investment.

What economic recession? The DOW is still well over 30,000, unemployment is under 4%, nearly 400,000 jobs were added in May alone, etc. There's been a slight downturn but nothing like a full blown recession or what we saw in 2008. There are no reports as of yet of mass layoffs occurring in multiple industries. Ford just announced yesterday that it's adding 6,000 jobs in 3 states. Hell even high gas prices are not deterring many buyers from buying huge SUV's and trucks due to low inventory. If a NIB Godzilla Premium sold 2 months ago for $12k it's selling this month at $11k, still well over MSRP.

#239 1 year ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Not sure how else to explain logic at this point b/c 3d is more than just leaning forward. Take that same IMDN table in 2D, paying 8k+ and seeing flat textures and no immersion and then play it in 3d, much cheaper and unless you’re dead, you’ll realize the incredible difference.
    Also - if you know how to build a PC, the cost isn’t 6-7k. Not even close - but again, I’m not surprised b/c well, I just leave it there. Trying to help but wasting my time at this point so my last response on it.

Here come the insults, not cool. You don’t understand. I’ve been building my own PC’s for 20 years. There’s much more to a virtual pin build then the PC piece. The build I priced out was going to cost me $6k - $7k, I’m perfectly fine paying another 2k - $3k to have a professionally built vpin that works out of the box.

Also I don’t understand where your 2D comments are coming from as there’s nothing 2D about standard virtual pinball. All of the tables have 3D graphics, same thing applies to video games with 3D graphics. Just because people play PS5 games on a TV that doesn’t make them 2D…

#245 1 year ago

At the same time Ford is hiring 6,000 workers. Tesla for years has been the only big EV car company in town but that has now all changed with companies like Ford, and GM heavily entering the EV space. It’s possible Tesla is currently staffed to support current sales numbers but those will be negatively impacted with Ford and GM entering the EV space.

#256 1 year ago
    Quoted from Charger68:

Ford, Gm and Tesla are all sold out for at least a year. Tesla is simply trimming the fat

Seems like they may not be trimming at all now. Just a bunch of speculation which isn't worthwhile to follow.

https://fortune.com/2022/06/05/elon-musk-says-teslas-total-headcount-will-rise-despite-cuts-to-salaried-staff/

#278 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

If we don't start getting some rain and snow in the western states, you will see the wheels come off.
    You can believe, or deny, global warming, but the west is dealing with a multi-year drought.
    I'm sure you all have seen the pictures of Lake Mead.
    [quoted image]
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/05/us/california-rural-groundwater-crisis-climate/index.html
    We can assume it will rain and snow heavily next year, but people out west have been praying for rain for a real long time.
    If this drought does not end sometime soon, all bets are off. Can you imagine the millions of people who will be leaving the west and moving into the central states if the drought does not end? These people will not be able to sell their homes because there will be no buyers. So they will come inland with no money and everybody will feel the pain.

When I was chasing my pins, gas was $2.20-$2.40 per gallon. And shipping from New York to Kansas was $450.00. Shipping in from Canada was $500.00.
    At today's transport prices ( I shipped a pin out to Nevada last year. It cost my buyer $650.00 ) I am out unless the pin is selling for waaaay cheap. I'm not looking to dump my pins, but I am no longer a buyer for a long distance pin with gas at $4.30 per gallon. I doubt I am the only one.
    And to cap it off, we have a malcontent on the other side of the globe who is holding his finger over the nuclear bomb button. The Cold War is back on. The peace dividend has gone the way of a goose. No one knows what tomorrow, or next year will bring. But at some point people start getting cautious and will close their pocketbooks.

$4.30 a gallon? Sadly that's now on the cheaper side, over $5 here in metro Detroit.

#280 1 year ago
    Quoted from Whynot:

Apparently the insanity is not ending for those looking for a Munsters LE!
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/136707

Sale pending too. Good deal here for an Indiana Jones, only $28k...just in case anyone missed out on the nearly $18k Munsters LE.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-indiana-jones-the-pinball-adventure-146

#326 1 year ago

Insanity ending? No, it's just getting started. I could see $15k maybe for a HEP TZ but one with a claim of being HUO and no pictures...yeah.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-twilight-zone-236

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/it-appears-the-insanity-is-ending?tu=panzerfreak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.