Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 350 posts
  • 128 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by RyanStl
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

09BA1F86-80C4-495E-9DB1-E4528694C698 (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-06-06 at 3.01.34 PM (resized).jpg
    out (resized).jpg
    1043pic (resized).jpg
    fonv (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    6A489B27-5CA9-4BFB-9BB5-2F7CDDBD141B (resized).jpeg
    6ADF8CF1-35E1-4B4F-9C1C-B8BC976BEFA6 (resized).png
    miso (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    xx828 (resized).jpg
    take-my-money-fry (resized).png
    EC900E62-FF3D-406E-B3FE-821186566BBE (resized).png
    scooby (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    day of the tentacle ed stamps (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mtnfrost.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

That World Cup Soccer, Black Knight 2000, and Baywatch will continue to slowly rise in value and is not coming down anytime soon.

Quoted from Neal_W:

TAF up $2300/yr since 2019.

I think when you look at any SS pin from 1978 up to but not including the "modern" Stern pin, prices will do what they always do. Go up.

Now, the modern Stern stuff, the whole LE vs Premium nonsense, maybe that's different. I feel like that's a different market completely, with people who have enough cash to buy these things new. Just like a new car, those prices will go down until at some magic moment they slip into the "classic" category.

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from radium:

It might all go to shit but as long as I can sell blood and semen the hobby lives on

Blood anyway.

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from Riefepeters:

newer entrants are going to do that versus drop $10k plus on those 90 titles.

I know of very, very few 90s titles that have ever commanded that as an averaged price. Addams and Twilight are still going to be valued highly, because the theme is part of the draw, not just gameplay.

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from Guidotorpedo:

Lots to unwrap here…
    Mike

I feel like just addressed the NIB, modern Stern pins here. Or most of that, anyway. The older pins aren't subject to any of the market forces that you've done a great job of outlining. Stern might make more of their recent titles, but they aren't going to make another Cheetah, etc..

#52 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Ha, good call. It was just uploaded yesterday, so I figured it was newer (plus Chumlee was thin). My bad.
    Well, this is where pinball pawn prices were in 2014!

I hate that show - ripping people off and being proud of it was never a good look. But never, ever use a television show as your pinball price metric.

#58 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

That’s really good advice, thanks. I’ve used Pawn Stars as a benchmark in current dollar valuation for the 36 games I’ve sold, so I’ll just use eBay from now on.

My point is that their goal is to always rip people off, and then charge the real value or more when reselling. So if those are the prices you are using, well, I guess that's the sellers responsibility to understand the real value of what they have, and decide from there.

#64 1 year ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

I don't believe you understand how markets work. Besides. It's TV. Take the Reality portion with a heavy dose of salt.

Yes, which is why you don't use it for real world reference, which was my point you just validated.

#65 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

The bubble is about to burst!

That's great! I can't wait to see the pins I want to go down....oh wait, they never have. But how much did you pay for the Centaur, and what state was it in? Just curious.

#70 1 year ago

Sherlock? Monk? What is the latest detective reference?

#101 1 year ago
    Quoted from John_I:Problem is the supply chain problems are still here and getting worse if anything as long as gas prices keep going up.

Great, we have to wait for the Ukraine to push out Russia before pin prices move? Gonna be a long wait.

#112 1 year ago

Detective Murdoch

#133 1 year ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

The market does settle in the summer every year. It's ok with me but in all honestly, I stopped caring about new pinball and it's associated market a long time ago.

Same. Give me the classics. Personal preference, but I feel the latest pins are too much flash and clutter. Not a purist, but it is nice to see more of the playfield and not have videos you have to watch while playing.

#136 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

They don't rip people off.

The very business model of pawn shops is to get items for less then they are worth, in order to resell them at or above value. Pawn shops take advantage of desperate people needing money, and rip them off. They very much do, and the show idolizes this behavior as if it's good or normal to take advantage of people.

#137 1 year ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

Greatest detectives of all time...
    [quoted image]

Mystery's Five. I was an ardent watcher as a child - the first two seasons were the best! Pop quiz, and do not use the internet. What is Shaggy's real name? I'll give his initials as a hint: N.R. Bonus, what was Daphne's last name?

#140 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

People don't exactly go to a Pawn Shop when they have the time, ability, and freedom to milk every last buck out of something they are selling; they do it when they need cash, now, quick, with as little friction as possible.
    There must be a reason the industry exists and thrives; it's because there's a need/want for it. I don't begrudge these folks! It's a mostly-honest living.

I should be clearer - yes, I agree there is a need and sometimes they can be a resource. But not the television show. And your post demonstrates exactly my initial point - you should never use the show as an accurate pricing guide for pins.

#147 1 year ago

Your wish...

take-my-money-fry (resized).pngtake-my-money-fry (resized).png
    #149 1 year ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

He's not kidding. That bitch Lori is a LIAR!

He's just pissed she owns all the high scores on his machines.

#153 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Hey, you’re the “I’m an artist” guy! That explains all the thumbs down. It was really bothering me.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/change-that-art-

Yeah, professional artist. I made the mistake of voicing an unpopular opinion! Who knew? I try to keep my artistic opinions to myself as a result. Here for the pins, less for the drama. I did a couple of Centaur girls for a different art project. One is my avatar now.

#158 1 year ago
    Quoted from graffixpinball:

Here are my thoughts on this topic (which is a great one, btw, to whoever started and chimed in on this!)
    Let's take a look at the last time we had inflation this high.. the early 80s - people were losing homes left and right, economy import cars where popping up all over because of an oil crisis, people couldn't afford gas (thank you for that Jimmy Carter, you SOB). You couldn't get a bank to give you money at a fixed rate, many people had home mortgages at 12-16% interest.. Plus we had a real threat of a nuclear war looming over our heads.
    Hmm, looks incredibly similar to our current world situation...
    Pinball was well established then, given it wasn't the golden age yet; but they were around. Most of them where in bars, laundry mats, arcades, bowling alleys, etc.. Today most of the pinballs are in privileged peoples basements or living rooms.
    Let's take a closer look at this hobby we all love and cherish - its just that - a hobby. Yes, some people are in business with it as well (like myself). Covid gave a lot of people xenophobia, and our wonderfully ignorant government fed those scared cave dwellers far too much money for hiding away - which over heated our economy. This created a perfect storm for new pinball buyers to jump into the hobby, and they did.. full steam ahead. A NIB pinball game became a justifiable purchase when you are stuck at home, and you have all this free money falling out of Uncle Sams pockets. Then add a supply chain crisis to the already strained increased demand, and BOOM, basic supply and demand issues. Plus, the new pinball apps on phones, and V-pins readily available turned a lot of people into pinball fans.
    I don't see how machines priced at (or often times OVER) $10,000 will be selling like hot cakes.. Let be real, it doesn't even make much sense to do even WHEN you can afford it. Not to mention, I just had 3 machines shipped last month, and they were peaking at $750 with STI. I have even noticed these pinball dealers (who normally are begging you to buy machines) are now not answering emails, calls or even letting you pay with a credit card because of the percentage points they are losing. That isn't good..
    Have you ever owned a trampoline? Its the greatest thing ever - for about 6 months. Then its a giant obstruction in your yard that never gets jumped on. Pinball machines are similar.. that's why most people don't have 'just' one. They get boring after the new wears off. However, when you don't have thousands of dollars to buy a new one every 6 months, people will just sell the one or two they have.
    ALSO - one thing I have noticed a lot of lately, home owners have no idea how to take care of, or repair their games. Often times I find routed games are better than home use games, especially when the home owned games are around kids. When a game is set on free play its nothing for a family of 5 or 6 (and all their friends) to pound on 50-100 games a day. Meanwhile; nobody is changing balls, cleaning or waxing the playfield, adjusting switches, etc. When the game breaks down they don't know how to fix it. Route operator tend to be a little better on maintaining their games frequently, since it is a paycheck. Plus they could only wish they got 100+ plays a day on their games... Most people see route games as tainted - that is frankly further from the truth if they are cared for.
    Personally, I expect a bust with pinballs starting in 2023 and on. I hope I am wrong, but the good thing is pinball always seems to prevail, a downswing won't last forever.

I don’t see it that way. After our government finally did the right thing in the face of a pandemic, and most people protected each other by wearing masks and working from home, while those who lost their jobs due to COVID were given some relief, yes, pinball was one toy you could play at home. And with newbs, we did see some craziness - that Banning auction will live in infamy. But excluding new machines, which have to go through a cycle of decline before they become part of the not-making-more classics, prices on the older SS pins will continue to go up. Sales may be slower, but since the development of the home market, classic pins have always increased. And for the reason I’ve mentioned - a fixed supply of them that’s only getting smaller over time, coupled with a larger collector base.

The new pins are a different beast altogether for reasons you stated. But only the recent pin releases that cost so much few can afford them with inflation. A Russian war of aggression is the force driving gas prices up, and that also slows the pin market some. But we are in no danger of any price collapse.

#165 1 year ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

This is hysterical. Good job.

Facts are fun things. I'm sure those people who lost their jobs through no fault of their own are appreciative that America helped them survive during the worst. It is what we used to be famous for as Americans. Our generous nature and willingness to help others.

#167 1 year ago

Anyone see any evidence of prices for pins not made in the last decade declining?

#170 1 year ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

In the midst of an inflation spike? No. Not going to happen. Tangible assets are slaved to inflation.

How about ever, since the development of the home market? That's what makes these predictions of gloom feel so hollow for me. I'd love it if I could buy a Stargazer, a Centaur, or a T2 for really cheap prices. But it's not going to happen.

#172 1 year ago

The jobs report was released, and as I was reading it, this part seemed relevant to our discussion, the last sentence echoes what others here have said (taken from the NYT):

"The Labor Department reported Friday that employers added 390,000 jobs, the 17th straight monthly gain.

The unemployment rate was 3.6 percent for the third straight month, near a half-century low. Average hourly earnings for employees rose by 10 cents, or 0.3 percent on a monthly basis, and were 5.2 percent higher than a year earlier.

Jobs growth was broad and led by the leisure and hospitality sector, as consumers continued to pivot their spending habits away from goods and toward services like travel, dining and entertainment."

#175 1 year ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

In May. Study seasonal Jobs reporting and you will see this metric is not in fact a positive data point.
    ...and, wages increasing by 5% in an inflationary cycle (that is well into double digit inflation already) is not a net gain. It is a net decrease.

Agreed, but the trend toward hospitality and away from goods certainly would explain a slowdown in pin sales.

#176 1 year ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

Best friend nabbed a T2 for $2k this week. Nicest one I have seen in a decade, too.
    The Home Market is at a peak right now. Those who bought in late (and on credit) will be liquidating before too long. It won't affect the current pricing levels too hard, but it will open up the opportunity for deals.
    Have watched it happen in a bunch of collector markets over the last few decades.

It's nice to know the occasional good deal is still out there. it's not a sample size large enough to matter, but like everyone, you always hope to be the first on a good deal.

#191 1 year ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

[edit] nevermind. Let's just say I disagree with pretty much everything you just said.

Understood. But I'm just referencing the facts. I agree with panzerfreak:

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

What economic recession? The DOW is still well over 30,000, unemployment is under 4%, nearly 400,000 jobs were added in May alone, etc. There's been a slight downturn but nothing like a full blown recession or what we saw in 2008. There are no reports as of yet of mass layoffs occurring in multiple industries. Ford just announced yesterday that it's adding 6,000 jobs in 3 states. Hell even high gas prices are not deterring many buyers from buying huge SUV's and trucks due to low inventory. If a NIB Godzilla Premium sold 2 months ago for $12k it's selling this month at $11k, still well over MSRP.

#196 1 year ago
    Quoted from Damen:

Strong jobs report means the fed has to do more to slow the economy to keep inflation down like raising rates which will lead to a recession.

That's a risk, but it's not a guarantee. Inflation is the problem, but there's not of tools to tap it down. Another effect from the COVID pandemic. Meanwhile I normally shop at Trader Joes. I went to a normal supermarket on a whim today, really surprised how much more things were there than TJs. Different suppliers, I'm told.

#236 1 year ago

What 10 pins would you think tracking the prices of over time would give us a good representation of the market? It might be useful if, in the future when this thread is revived, we could track the numbers. And right now, we could track the numbers back a few years. My uninformed guess might be something like:

StarGazer, Centaur (I'd say Fathom, but after Haggis...), Black Hole, Whitewater, High Speed, Scared Stiff, T2, ST:TNG, IJ:TPA, Congo.

Something that takes from across different eras, but back far enough to avoid the new car syndrome. What would change, or good range?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mtnfrost.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/it-appears-the-insanity-is-ending?tu=mtnfrost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.