Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by mrm_4
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Cleo After (resized).jpg
    So76 After (resized).jpg
    So76 Before (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

Is there any voltage issues that can occur with updating your em pinball machine with leds? As many of you have seen I own a Chicago coin top ten that I’ve had ball kick out issues. I was just thinking I do have partial leds in the machine. I have noticed a bit of ghosting onthe machine machine and it made me wonder if maybe adding LEDs can cause voltage issues. Yes m curious on anyone’s perspective on this.

#2 3 years ago

Don't do it. EMs look terrible with LEDs. Technically there are not too many problems with LEDs in EMs as long as you buy good LEDs. They will consume less power, last longer, and generate less heat to save plastics and backglass art. LEDs are DC devices, and running them on the AC voltage of an EM pinball will often cause an annoying AC flicker. Cheap LEDs will make this subtle problem much worse. So there is a trade off.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gnrwarkfc:

Is there any voltage issues that can occur with updating your em pinball machine with leds? As many of you have seen I own a Chicago coin top ten that I’ve had ball kick out issues. I was just thinking I do have partial leds in the machine. I have noticed a bit of ghosting onthe machine machine and it made me wonder if maybe adding LEDs can cause voltage issues. Yes m curious on anyone’s perspective on this.

LED's in an EM will ghost or flicker everytime the score motor runs

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from 0geist0:

LED's in an EM will ghost or flicker everytime the score motor runs

Yep. Keep them out of the inserts. Backbox and playfield GI only.

#5 3 years ago

I'll play contrarian and say that I think they look fine if you get the right kind and state that I've had no flickering issues when using Comet non-ghosting in any controlled lamps.

The only bulbs I will use are Comet's retro SMD.
    https://www.cometpinball.com/search?q=retro

Warm white only. Frosted lens in GI and backbox. Clear for inserts. Their bullet bulb versions are also really great for the backbox - just a bit narrower and considerably easier to get fully inserted into the cut out holes in the lightboard.

But again - non ghosting are fine in the GI and any backbox places that are always on. 110% go non ghosting for any controlled insert or backbox lights such as game over, tilt, ball number etc.

1 year later
    #6 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beatnik-Filmstar:

I'll play contrarian and say that I think they look fine if you get the right kind and state that I've had no flickering issues when using Comet non-ghosting in any controlled lamps.
    The only bulbs I will use are Comet's retro SMD.
    https://www.cometpinball.com/search?q=retro
    Warm white only. Frosted lens in GI and backbox. Clear for inserts. Their bullet bulb versions are also really great for the backbox - just a bit narrower and considerably easier to get fully inserted into the cut out holes in the lightboard.
    But again - non ghosting are fine in the GI and any backbox places that are always on. 110% go non ghosting for any controlled insert or backbox lights such as game over, tilt, ball number etc.

I’m clear coating a Space Mission playfield and I don’t want to put incandescents under the inserts afterwards because I don’t want the heat from the bulbs to cause issues with the clear coat. I plan on using incandescents for the GI but I hate the little flicker LEDs give in the controlled lights. Good to know the non-ghosting LEDs from comet help with this on EMs.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

I’m clear coating a Space Mission playfield and I don’t want to put incandescents under the inserts afterwards because I don’t want the heat from the bulbs to cause issues with the clear coat. I plan on using incandescents for the GI but I hate the little flicker LEDs give in the controlled lights. Good to know the non-ghosting LEDs from comet help with this on EMs.

I've had no issue with Comet's LED's. I would also suggest looking at the out hole light mod that goes in the ball trough between the flippers. Adds a nice touch of light between the flippers and the brightness is adjustable too.

I just buy all non-ghosting, a touch more expensive but you never have issues anywhere and you don't have to worry about mixing up the normal and non-ghosting LED's. The warm whites are a little brighter than the old bulbs and not quite as yellow in temperature.

Old Bulb's
    So76 Before (resized).jpgSo76 Before (resized).jpg

Comet
    So76 After (resized).jpgSo76 After (resized).jpg

Comet and Out hole Mod
    Cleo After (resized).jpgCleo After (resized).jpg

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from Garrett:

I've had no issue with Comet's LED's. I would also suggest looking at the out hole light mod that goes in the ball trough between the flippers. Adds a nice touch of light between the flippers and the brightness is adjustable too.
    I just buy all non-ghosting, a touch more expensive but you never have issues anywhere and you don't have to worry about mixing up the normal and non-ghosting LED's. The warm whites are a little brighter than the old bulbs and not quite as yellow in temperature.
    Old Bulb's
    [quoted image]
    Comet
    [quoted image]
    Comet and Out hole Mod
    [quoted image]

I started installing those trough lights in my solid state restorations a while back and i love them! I go back and forth with the GI in EMs, currently my Williams Shangri La has the Sunlights in for the GI I like them but I'll admit the the warm white is a better look. I'm debating on putting incandescents back in... I just love that warm glow with EMs and Incandescent bulbs.
    That '76 looks great.

#9 1 year ago

I've had trouble once with a malfunctioning insert LED that consumed just enough power to drain the transformer, but not enough to blow the fuse, so all other lights went black.

#10 1 year ago

At least if an insert is labeled 'when lit' and is always 'motored out', then you don't have to worry about the motor causing an the LED to blink off. Other units firing off that are involved in the lamp's circuit can still cause it too, though.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

I started installing those trough lights in my solid state restorations a while back and i love them! I go back and forth with the GI in EMs, currently my Williams Shangri La has the Sunlights in for the GI I like them but I'll admit the the warm white is a better look. I'm debating on putting incandescents back in... I just love that warm glow with EMs and Incandescent bulbs.
    That '76 looks great.

And the wife and friends weren't happy when I sold the Spirit a few months ago. It was in great condition when I got it 10 years ago but it was time for it to move on. So76' is a killer art package but the gameplay is a bit slow for my tastes. I prefer the later EM's with some serious ball speed. Might have to pick up a Strato Flight one day too. Your restoration was top notch and I bet the gameplay screams now too!

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from Garrett:

And the wife and friends weren't happy when I sold the Spirit a few months ago. It was in great condition when I got it 10 years ago but it was time for it to move on. So76' is a killer art package but the gameplay is a bit slow for my tastes. I prefer the later EM's with some serious ball speed. Might have to pick up a Strato Flight one day too. Your restoration was top notch and I bet the gameplay screams now too!

Thanks its ongoing, im about to tear the cab apart now that the head is complete. I clear coated my Space Mission over the weekend. Working on 2 Ems at once is pretty fun!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/issues-with-updating-to-leds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.