Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180323_172342 (resized).jpg
20180323_171748 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Diospinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

So... I have an issue with my brand new Breakshot pinball game. Well... Brand new for me, as it's a 20 year old game. So on the 4 hour trip to my home from the sellers house it came down with many different afflictions. I then had it serviced and that was about 200 dollars... And the repair person fixed most of the issues. As I was having right flipper issues, and also I had issues with the kicker. Those were fixed... But, in the last like 5-6 hours playing the game I did have the kicker not kick the ball out 2 times total. Both times were in the same game or around it... So that pissed me off, but considering it was 40% chance that the kicker didn't work, and now its working almost all the time, I'm happy with that.
But, the biggest issue I am facing now is the bankshot isn't working. The repair guy got it working to where it worked 95% of the time for the day of the repair. And I thought the other times it didn't trigger were because maybe the ball didn't hit it right... Anyway so now I play it and for a 40 minute or longer session it might not even trigger at all or just once. Which is frustrating as the skill shot is to hit the bankshot and also if you hit it multiple times in a row, thats big points and I hate leaving points on the table...
So I did run diagnostics. The switch is reading and working according to the game. But, I can take the glass off, and just press it like 30-40 times and it'll only read one time for each of those presses.
It looks like a typical microswitch that has the little metal trigger on the end. So those seem pretty common. But, the diode or whatever is attached to it, is what concerns me. I have no idea what it is, or what it does. So I need your help to figure out what parts to order.
Otherwise it looks pretty simple to me to replace. I'll just be sure to take lots of pictures and document the heck out of it.
Sorry for the length of this. But, I really, really would appreciate some help. As I really want to get htis game running 100%... Then I can go about the full restore and fix all the knicks and dents...
Also I want to add my own custom mirror blades. As I really think the game will be sharp with those.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd try a factory reset to clear garbage out of memory, and then see where you are at.
Capcom used too fine a wire on switches, and easy to have a break or poor connection on that row or column driving you nuts.
LTG : )

Would I lose my high scores???? I mean I got the grand high score on it... And then high score 4 and 5... I'd hate to see those go... And do you think it would work... I mean... This seems mechanical to me... You don't think its the microswitch? I'm a newb to pinball, so forgive these questions.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

Would I lose my high scores???? I mean I got the grand high score on it... And then high score 4 and 5... I'd hate to see those go... And do you think it would work... I mean... This seems mechanical to me... You don't think its the microswitch? I'm a newb to pinball, so forgive these questions.

Well, I did the factory reset and I kissed all my high scores goodbye... Sniff sniff... I'm not a great player so the 16,152,030 score really is one of my best scores ever... As I generally really just aim for a replay... As that is all I care about being a good player and not great...

Anyway... I reset the machine to factory default and the bankshot switch still doesn't work. So I'm inclined to believe that the switch has gone out. They do go bad they're only really rated for so many clicks... Unless someone has other ideas... Again I'm open to suggestion. I just want to get this thing at 100%.

PS... not too bad... But, I claimed the high scores 2-4 already. Got a nice score of 7,600,000 or around there already which is one of my best scores ever as well... So not all too bad.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Unsolder wires, check with a meter. Then you'd know broken switch or a break in wiring from switch to board.

What kind of meter? Sorry I'm a newb as I said. I'll buy the meter just need to know the right kind.
Second, if you could just tell me what kind of microswitch and diode or whatever I also need to get that would be great too. I'm going to be ordering new drop targets as I bought new decals and I figure it would be nice to have new drop targets to go with those. And since a microswitch is only a couple of bucks I can save on shipping and handling which is generally around 7 dollars per order from most pinball shops.
Thanks.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Any kind. Cheap one will do. Youtube has lots of short how to videos. Watch a few and pick a meter used in one of them. One for ohms will help you check switch and continuity of wires.
Post a picture of the switch and I'll try and help you with what to get.

I thought I did attach them... Okay here they are.

20180323_171748 (resized).jpg20180323_171748 (resized).jpg

20180323_172342 (resized).jpg20180323_172342 (resized).jpg

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

This will work - https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=829 get wires in the same spots and diode facing the same way. A 1N4004 or 1N4007 diode will work fine.
But just tossing in new parts may not fix the problem. You have a break at another switch or connector along the way back to the board in the head, and you'll still have a switch not working.

Thanks... But, in the diagnostics, they all read as working... So I think its just that the switch isn't reading... What sucks now though is the kicker isn't always working again... It was working fine... I did have a mishap just recently where the playfield almost fell when it was up and I had to catch it, and I accidentally pulled a wire clip out of the harness. It was to the ball trough. and I was able to reconnect it and now my game is working fine... But, yeah... This is going to be a long, long road for me...

I'll get the one meter you suggested and run the test before I replace the switch and run the test...

I now got another question. I want to upgrade to LEDs for the entire playfield does anyone have any suggestions or can help me with the type of bulbs I'll need to buy. Thanks again and thanks for your time.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd go over the same row and column the offending switch is on. And just because another switch is working, doesn't mean there isn't a break there making other switches not work.
Capcom is more known for wiring issues on the switch matrix rather than bad switch issues.

Yes, I'm going to do that. I just want to make sure I do have a replacement for it. In case it all reads as good and not broken. They're not that expensive so I rather be prepared and get it all done in one go than have to go back to it. Especially since I'm going to ask one of my coworkers to assist me. I don't soder, and he knows more about electrical stuff than I do. I fix computers, but this is different from my wheelhouse.
So I got a question. Will this work to test the wires and all that jazz? https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3158
Or should I get a more expensive one?

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

For a quick continuity check from switch to switch to board, yes.

Youtube is littered with short how to videos. How to heat a joint, flow solder, etc. You may not need it now, but it wouldn't hurt to learn for your pinball future.

Ohhh... I watch all the videos. I find it fascinating... And as I am in the computer repair industry really this stuff does help expand my understanding for my 9-5 job as well... May not be the same type stuff, but troubleshooting is troubleshooting... And yes I plan on learning to do a lot of the pinball stuff... But, I got to learn to sail across the air before I learn to fly... And that's Dio speak for gotta learn to walk before I can run... And it might not be hard to heat a joint or flow solder, but I stunk to high heaven the last time I tried to work a solder iron, so I want my friend to come over to just supervise and assist me in case I need it.

2 weeks later
#16 6 years ago

Okay... So I finally was able to find some time to tinker with my machine... Last few weeks I got a hardbody machine which was a blast to play until I started to have flipper issues... And so that took a lot of my time and energy... And then I just got fed up and wanted to relax...
Anyway I speaking with the guy who I bought breakshot off of, he's really cool guy, and he told me that the issues with the kicker and bankshot might just need to be slight tweaking issues... And so I raised the playfield and just started looking at when the switch would get pressed when it hit the rollover target. And so I just adjusted the kicker a bit as it was just a little bit off and it was possible for it not to fire.
Then I looked over to the bankshot. And while that one is much harder to look at as I really couldn't get my eye there. I made an adjustment as well... Kind of a blind one, but I figured its already not working...
So the kicker worked flawlessly after my adjustment. Or at least how it should...
But, the bankshot still didn't work. I rolled the ball over and hit the switch a few times... Nothing... But, then I thought to myself, it still might not be pressing the little button on the switch. So I pressed down deep and hard(no one say that's what she said), and the shot/switch registered.
I kept pressing down making sure I hit it all the way down. And sure enough it worked all the time... Then I just adjusted the metal bit as best I could and it worked for 10 times in a row. Then I put on the back glass and started a game...
First plunge was able to get the skill shot which you need to hit the bankshot to get. So I was ecstatic. But, sadly after about 10 minutes of play the shot is no longer registering.
So the good news. Its not bad wiring, or a bad switch... So I want to thank everyone for all your help and tips, and just shows what I know... NOTHING!
But, the bad news is I now have to figure out a way to adjust it to where it stays working longer... Any suggestions?
should I bend it up to where it sticks out more? Or what? I have no clue... I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Any adjustments you make should be past the switch body, so you don't effect the flat metal blade that pushes the tiny knob into the switch body.
If you already mucked that up, fix that first, then work on adjusting.

Nope... That is one that I didn't muck up. Didn't touch it or bend it. Just wondering if someone has like any pictures of how it should look bent. LIke the best shape to go for or how high out of the slot or any other tips.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 209.00
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Diospinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/issues-with-bankshot-on-breakshot?tu=Diospinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.