(Topic ID: 312555)

Issues with AC/DC Booting - help? (please?!)

By GroggyFrogFace

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider groggyfrogface.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Hello all -

I have a 2012 AC/DC BiBLE that, after a long road of other issues (caused by me - because of a miswire), I've hit a wall on. At this point, the pin will only boot maybe 65 to 70% of the time. When it boots, everything works fine. But when it doesn't boot, here are the symptoms:

1) I/O board is lit up - no issues with burnt-out fuses on the board (or anywhere else), and voltage tests fine (Chris Hibbler checked the board out and replaced the watchdog so I trust it is in good working order).

2) CPU board is up, but LED3 shows steady and does not pulse (it pulses when it is working normally). I was told by a technician that he felt this was the CPU not getting clock. I sent the board to Stern who bench tested it and said there were no issues.

3) A few of the lights on the playfield do come on, including the GIs for the coin slots, a GI lighting up the trough-up kicker, one playfield spotlight, and the led panel for the flames. The backlight fluorescent bulb also powers up.

4) ColorDMD doesn't do anything - i.e., no animation (but it is getting power and you can open up the menu via the back buttons)

5) If I try to update firmware after it does power on OK, it doesn't do anything. I was able to drop a backup copy so there I don't suspect a problem with the USB, but it won't update.

Boards I know are good: I/O board (thanks to Chris and I have tested it with another known good), CPU/Sound (per Stern), 8-Transistor Driver board, RGB Driver board, all (5) LED lamp boards.

And the ones that I haven't tested include the Opto Transmitter/Receiver Amplifier and the opto boards on the drop targets.

Anyone have a clue? I have to think this is a short somewhere, but ?

At this point, I'm entertaining any suggestions!

#3 2 years ago

Thank you - this is an excellent starting point.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Disconnect all connectors on driver board except J16, J17 (incoming and outgoing power) and ribbon cable to CPU board. Disconnect all connectors on CPU board except J11 (incoming power) and ribbon cable to driver board. If it boots consistently like that, problem is on playfield or somewhere in the cabinet. Plug connectors back in one at a time to see which one is causing the issue.

So testing has created a mixed bag of results, and not exactly what I had hoped for. It seemed like I was going in the right direction until I plugged in the second set of low-current coils / solenoids, and then it completely stopped booting (at least for awhile), even after backing all the connections out.

Here's what I did:

1) Stripped down to the initial configuration and the system booted successfull x6 times. During the initial boot, on the CPU board, LED "K" (below U49 and next to R27), flashes slow green (x3, pause, x3) and then turns off. LED3 is fast-pulsing green, and LED1 is steady green.

On the I/O board, fuses F9-13 are on, the LED voltage indicators for +5, 12, and 20 are lit green, and LED L18 is yellow.

2) On the I/O board, I started by plugging in J10 (voltage outputs) --> J11 (ac voltages) --> J14 (5.7VAC GIs) --> J5 (LED data) --> J6 (lower power group #1)

All the fuses came on, 50v LED lit up, playfield LEDs turned on as did the two GI lights for the coin slots

3) Plugged in J7. Boots fine and the cannon moves back and forth (did not stop). Fails on the 2nd and 3rd boot.

4) Unplug J7. No boot. Back out to the starting configuration and it would not boot.

Went to bed frustrated. It didn't boot a few times this morning, in the initial configuration, then magically started again.

When it wasn't booting this morning, I did check the voltage across J17, J16, and J11. All three checked out according to the specs in the yellow pages.

Everything seems like it's one step forward, and a dozen steps back.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
10,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 12.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider groggyfrogface.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/issues-with-ac-dc-booting-help-please?tu=groggyfrogface and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.