• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

30174EC2-7363-481C-BA4B-CC80AD4CA3DF (resized).jpeg
B1D3330B-872B-48A2-B688-34C514ACE570 (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

I just rebuilt all 3 pop bumpers with all new parts except for the sockets. I should have but the leads and sockets were in good shape so I just desoldered and pulled them through and led them back through the base.

The lower pop bumper is fine after rebuild (it’s the one constantly lit) but after putting the other two (the ones that alternate) back together and resoldering, the 100 point chime coil rings once and buzzes on startup and the two alternating pops don’t function correctly.

I took pictures and know that the double wires on the right side are correct and soldered and the leads on the other side as well but I wonder if I reversed the socket leads (assuming that would matter).

I don’t mind taking them apart again but I’m wondering if anyone has a hunch what’s wrong and I’m also wondering if I didn’t break one of the leads pushing them back through the base.

Thanks.

#2 2 years ago

Do any of the 10 Point relay, the 100 Point relay, or the 1000 Point relay, stay locked on when this happens?

#3 2 years ago

make sure wires aren't touching the base. did this once. lol

#4 2 years ago

Check center thumper bumper for a closed switch that’s plunger activated.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Do any of the 10 Point relay, the 100 Point relay, or the 1000 Point relay, stay locked on when this happens?

Yes the first time I pushed the start button the 10 point relay locked on.

The next time I tried it the 10 point relay locked on, then released and the 100 point relay locked on.

The 1000 point relay never activated.

Thanks.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballdaveh:

Check center thumper bumper for a closed switch that’s plunger activated.

Actually I originally thought that happened because I had the bracket off the right one and the switch you’re referring to was closed because the Bakelite was not in position but I since put it back together and it’s open.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

make sure wires aren't touching the base. did this once. lol

I’ll double check. Probably have disassemble both.

#8 2 years ago

Does it matter if the lamp socket leads are reversed? I thought it did but now I’m thinking it’s like a 2 tab coil and wouldn’t matter.

I’m going to take the right side pop apart and see what I find. They were working ok before but I wanted to change the broken skirts and rusty ring-rods so I’m sure I messed something up.

#9 2 years ago

Well I’m an idiot. Thanks to Howard having me double check the 10 point and 100 point relay to see if they were locking on I think I found the culprit.

The 2 scoring relays were taking turns locking on which makes sense since the 2 upper pop bumpers and 2 spinner lanes alternate lighting for 100 points.

Apparently when I lifted the playfield the left spinner switch was stuck closed due to the spinner leaning. It also must have been slightly closed when I had the playfield down. Going to add a dab of Super Lube to that spinner arm and double check everything before I mark this solved.

Thanks to all that weighed in.

B1D3330B-872B-48A2-B688-34C514ACE570 (resized).jpegB1D3330B-872B-48A2-B688-34C514ACE570 (resized).jpeg
#10 2 years ago

That was the problem. On a side note I cannot believe how awesome the pop bumpers work now after the rebuild and cleaning. Extremely lively.

Here’s what the old skirts and ring rods looked like so you can imagine how nasty the rest of the mechanisms were.

Love this machine.

30174EC2-7363-481C-BA4B-CC80AD4CA3DF (resized).jpeg30174EC2-7363-481C-BA4B-CC80AD4CA3DF (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/issues-after-pop-bumper-rebuild-on-night-rider- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.