• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5CF46416-B2A9-49F3-B505-B157B6572EC6 (resized).jpeg
83146157-63BD-4E3E-9E4C-845FBB970A0A (resized).jpeg
#1 4 years ago

I installed an NVRAM in my White Water and Adams Family machines and now both are acting strange. I used the 6264 NVRAM, which both machines had a 6264 chip prior. Now both machines are displaying strange characters and locking up and or rebooting. I’ve installed NVRAMS in other machines without issue, so I’m very confused. I also noticed the LEDs on the board flashing too. I even attempted to put the old batteries back in and the original chip and the games still no longer work.

Any ideas would really be appreciated. I’m clueless.

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballGurus:

I installed an NVRAM in my White Water and Adams Family machines and now both are acting strange. I used the 6264 NVRAM, which both machines had a 6264 chip prior. Now both machines are displaying strange characters and locking up and or rebooting. I’ve installed NVRAMS in other machines without issue, so I’m very confused. I also noticed the LEDs on the board flashing too. I even attempted to put the old batteries back in and the original chip and the games still no longer work.
Any ideas would really be appreciated. I’m clueless.

Picture of front and back of boards. Did you desolder the original chip and add socket.?

#3 4 years ago

Yes I did.

Quoted from Mitch:

Picture of front and back of boards. Did you desolder the original chip and add socket.?

#4 4 years ago

5CF46416-B2A9-49F3-B505-B157B6572EC6 (resized).jpeg5CF46416-B2A9-49F3-B505-B157B6572EC6 (resized).jpeg83146157-63BD-4E3E-9E4C-845FBB970A0A (resized).jpeg83146157-63BD-4E3E-9E4C-845FBB970A0A (resized).jpeg
#5 4 years ago

Did you triple check ribbon cables? That MPU one is always hard to put on exactly right.

#6 4 years ago

Yes, I attached and reattached multiple times. Both machines are acting exactly the same.

#7 4 years ago

Ok so I got one working. Turned out to be a broken trace. The other I’m still dealing with. Good times.

#8 4 years ago

I have been afraid to do NVRAM because I have read that it is very easy to blow traces on WPC boards. What type of tools did you use? Do you have temp controlled soldering station or desoldering gun? Just curious, because I have all those and a decent amount of experience soldering but I am still afraid to do this job.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from Elicash:

Just curious, because I have all those and a decent amount of experience soldering but I am still afraid to do this job.

IMO if you lack the confidence in your own ability to successfully perform this task then you shouldn't do it.

On the other hand; you know for a fact that you can remove the original RAM chip from the board without damage to the board or the RAM chip then you have nothing to worry about.

#10 4 years ago

Exactly. These CPU’s are pretty hard to replace. Damaging them is very easy. I would send out to experts.

But many people are the opposite of me - over confident or lacking the right tools and end up hacking up their boards.

That’s why I’m curious what tools he used

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Elicash:

Exactly. These CPU’s are pretty hard to replace. Damaging them is very easy. I would send out to experts.

But many people are the opposite of me - over confident or lacking the right tools and end up hacking up their boards.

That’s why I’m curious what tools he used

I understand, and its a valid question.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

12,610 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mapleton, UT
7,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

17,250 (OBO)
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 12.95
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Montpelier, VA
$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/issues-after-installing-6264-nvram and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.