(Topic ID: 185421)

Issue with PinBot flasher circuit when using LED replacement...

By MoSeS_1592

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by GRUMPY
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GRUMPY.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 7 years ago

This is a resistor board, the outside smaller resistors are the warming resistors which allows a small amount of current to flow thru the bulbs to make them light quicker like a flash. When using leds this small current is enough to light the bulb when they should be off. As others have said the resistors can be removed or the black wire on the board can be removed.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

4 years later
#11 2 years ago

Yes!

1 year later
#13 1 year ago

Your fine since you removed the ground wires. LEDs can flicker from voltage spikes. Most of the time the spikes are caused by open diodes on coils. When a coil fires a magnetic field collapses causing a high voltage spike, the diode shunts the spike to ground. If the spike isn't shunted to ground it can pulse different transistors in the game, since LEDs need very little power to work they may flicker.

#15 1 year ago

Nothing to do with the resistors. If you think the flicker happens when flipping, then replace the diodes on the flipper coils.

1 year later
#17 6 months ago
Quoted from Cariba:

Hello...just replaced all my 89 (and 1261) flashers on pin bot but the playfiend flashers are flickering when one flipper is activated- so ur suggesting to replace that flipper's diode?
And can you kindly tell me where is the diode located exactly?
What happens to the diode that allows this to happen btw?
Thanks
Omar

Sorry for not seeing this sooner.
If you activate the flipper and you see one of the leds flicker then yes replace that flipper coil's diodes. Here is a pic of the correct stock coil for a Pinbot. It has a single diode across the outer lugs of the coil. The diode must be installed in the correct direction. The silver band faces the power wire.
Lastly when the diode ages it will usually go open from the high voltage spikes that come from the coil when de-energized and magnetic field collapses. The diode shunts this high voltage to ground so it wont cause any problems. If the diode opens the high voltage will travel back to the power supply and then to all the boards. This can cause damage to sensitive electronic components.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

1 week later
#19 6 months ago
Quoted from Cariba:

Yes great for the feedback, I've been having to replace quite a few diodes on this pin, yeah the bad diodes can really do a number it seems. The last two were on the ramp enter (but also this diode was previously replaced several months back so not sure what's going on there, but I suspect it was because after replacing that diode I had the wires crossed/reversed for a while and was causing some fuses to blow, and possibly damaged the new diode I had previously put - I think I mentioned all this to you before) as well as a flipper coil diode I just recently replaced and drain switch diode - that was causing issues were it would not sense that the ball had drained), and the flipper diode replacement seems to have at least eliminated the flashers LEDs blinking when the flipper(s) were used, now looks' like the ball return coil on the drain trough may need that as well as the flashers blink when it is actuated.

When in doubt, replace it. 7 cents each wont break the bank.

Playball!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GRUMPY.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/issue-with-pinbot-flasher-circuit-when-using-led-replacement?tu=GRUMPY and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.