(Topic ID: 210480)

Nothing to see here!

By dirtbag66

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

40783amd (resized).jpg
    wedgewires (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

Just received a relatively large order from Comet (80 or so bulbs) and three are defective.

I emailed them asking for replacements but haven't heard back (email was sent last night, so I'm not too concerned yet that they haven't gotten back to me).

Are they pretty good about giving replacement bulbs?

#2 6 years ago

I would imagine they are still are with Ryan in charge. Art was always ready to make things right, even though he said he's only had 2 bad LEDs out of thousands or something like that

#3 6 years ago

ryanwanger will clear this up with you as soon as he can I'm sure. A few bulbs not working and a few hours of business hours probably doesnt call for a thread saying there are issues with Comet tho.

#4 6 years ago

Of course. We'll replace anything defective for free, no questions asked. Greg or I will get back to you shortly via email and replacements will go out today.

3 out of 80 is unusually high - so sorry that happened! Thanks for not being too upset.

#5 6 years ago

I've ordered a lot of bulbs from Comet and never had a defective one. However, I often have to adjust the wires to get a good connection.

#6 6 years ago

Are they 555 base LED's? Sometimes the wire leads need to be bent out a little to make good contact.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gnatty:

Are they 555 base LED's? Sometimes the wire leads need to be bent out a little to make good contact.

99.99% chance this is the issue. I'll leave 0.01% to "package run over by delivery truck".

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gnatty:

Sometimes the wire leads need to be bent out a little to make good contact.

I usually do this to all wedge bulbs before I install them. I've found the best way to bend them is like this:

wedgewires (resized).jpgwedgewires (resized).jpg

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

Just received a relatively large order from Comet (80 or so bulbs) and three are defective.
    I emailed them asking for replacements but haven't heard back (email was sent last night, so I'm not too concerned yet that they haven't gotten back to me).
    Are they pretty good about giving replacement bulbs?

I'm sorry if this makes me sound like an ass but GOOD LORD. You E-mailed them last night and this morning are posting on a message board about "Issues" with them? I know this isn't a bashing thread but in the days of social media even things like this can hurt a business.

First - Are you sure they are defective? A lot of times you have to move the leads out a little bit to make good contact on LED bulbs. That's pretty common and solves non working bulbs most of the time.

Being they are mass produced and can't possibly all be tested some defects will happen. They will take care of you but just give them some time.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

I'll leave 0.01% to "package run over by delivery truck".

I'm still waiting for something like this to happen. In the first week or two after JackpotJanet and I took over, we didn't quite understand that you can't leave a bunch of empty space in large boxes. Someone sent us a picture of an order that looked like someone had sat on it. The bulbs were fine, but it was still pretty embarrassing.

#11 6 years ago

man kind of a D move if you ask me. Guy receives bulbs which don't appear to work (3 out of 80 - prob work they just need to be bent) then emails last night and this morning already alerts the forums with a topic that is very misleading targeting a company that is well respected? How about give the guy a chance to respond.

Again D move man. Maybe it wasn't your intention and if so, change the topic title or delete this thread entirely.

#12 6 years ago

Thanks for sticking up for us guys. Not a huge deal, but of course we'd prefer the chance to handle it in private first.

We may not always respond on the weekends, but issues like this always get responded to before we ship out bulbs for the day. We want to be able to send a replacement right away if there is an issue (which is rare, but it does happen).

Now...l'm going to stop bumping this thread.

#13 6 years ago

I've been in this hobby a relatively short time. I've ordered hundreds of bulbs from Comet LEDs. If I find one that's flaky, I bend out the wire leads and check it in a KNOWN working socket. If it's still flaky, I throw it out, and grab another one, and move one. In the big scheme of things, $.60 out of 200 bulbs is not a big deal, imo. If it were an order of 3 or 4 flashers, then yeah, maybe send them an email. But between the candy, fast shipping, and awesome shipping notification emails, a few bulbs every now and again is completely worth the service. Keep up the great work ryanwanger !

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

I'm sorry if this makes me sound like an ass but GOOD LORD. You E-mailed them last night and this morning are posting on a message board about "Issues" with them?

It doesn't make you sound like an ass......

#15 6 years ago

Comet has always been a fantastic company to deal with. From the awesome Art, to the smooth transition to Ryan and Janet. Always great products and exceptional service. To call them out over $3 in bulbs and with time differences probably less than 12 hours to respond back to you is plain silly. I just call notice to the OPs screen name. Nuff said.

#16 6 years ago

The initial post was definitely a dirtbag move.

Kudos to Comet.

#17 6 years ago

Out of the hundreds (maybe thousands at this point?) of bulbs I've installed so far, I don't think I've seen one that was actually defective.

The 555/906 bulb leads just sometimes take a little fiddling in order to make proper contact with the socket. I've also noticed that these bulbs are a little thicker than original incandescent bulbs, so it actually helps fix flaky sockets where the contacts have lost some tension/springiness.

#18 6 years ago

Just living up to your name I guess OP.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

... I emailed them asking for replacements but haven't heard back (email was sent last night, so I'm not too concerned yet that they haven't gotten back to me). ...

jeeze you guys... am I the only one that read this part of the post?

the OP's question was are they good about replacements... unless I missed something or read it wrong... I have seen flame threads on this forum, and this DOESN'T appear to be one.

just my .02

and I agree, COMET rocks!!

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from fxdwg:

the OP's question was are they good about replacements... unless I missed something or read it wrong... I have seen flame threads on this forum, and this DOESN'T appear to be one.
    just my .02

given the OPs history, this thread was started to try and start shit.

Reality is Comet is so awesome that they will take care of even their dumbest and biggest Ahole customers.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from fxdwg:

just my .02

"Issue with Comet LEDs" as a thread title does a real disservice to Comet.

#22 6 years ago

Wow, this escalated quickly. Was never my intention to smear Comet at all. I was just asking if anyone had any experience with them replacing bulbs.

Relax guys, it's Wednesday! Just two more days until the weekend.

#23 6 years ago

Almost no chance that 3 out of 80 are bad. Probably bad sockets.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from jj44114:

Almost no chance that 3 out of 80 are bad. Probably bad sockets.

Sockets are solid. I tried different bulbs in them and they all worked.

I have been in communication with Ryan and we got it all figured out. I tried fiddling with the wires last night, but that didn't seem to do the trick. I'm going to try again tonight after work.

Deep breaths, everyone. Deep breaths.

#25 6 years ago

OP and I have been exchanging emails. He has been lovely. So has everyone in this thread.

Call off the dogs! Time to hold hands and sing in harmony.

#26 6 years ago

I can't even count how many thousands of 555 bulbs I've installed from COMET and have yet to have one that's bad. Like others have said, sometimes the metal tabs inside the 555 sockets have lost their tension with time and don't make contact with the 555 LED/SMD bulb leads. Simply spreading out the open lead on each side of the bulb and letting it naturally compress in the socket resolves that issue 99.9% of the time.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

Wow, this escalated quickly. Was never my intention to smear Comet at all. I was just asking if anyone had any experience with them replacing bulbs.
    Relax guys, it's Wednesday! Just two more days until the weekend.

would go a long way to change the title of the thread
    glad its all working out for everyone.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from wxforecaster:

Simply spreading out the open lead on each side of the bulb and letting it naturally compress in the socket resolves that issue 99.9% of the time.

This is what I plan on doing. Last night I just reconfigured the wires, but didn't leave them spread out like you said. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

#29 6 years ago

I like the revised Beatles song and things to do while waiting for your comet order. Seriously though I have gotten 3 or 4 bulbs over the last few years that did not have the little nodules at the bottom to hold the bulb on. Once I put one in and it sprang up and hit me in the face, true story, made me laugh.

#30 6 years ago

Comet has some really great customer service. They always respond to me right away.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from mrossman5:

Comet has some really great customer service. They always respond to me right away.

+1

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

I usually do this to all wedge bulbs before I install them. I've found the best way to bend them is like this:

I’ve done that for a long time as well.

Ryan, maybe an idea to put tips like that on your website, with pictures.

Another is to use a small screwdriver to push the bulb contacts together in the plastic 555 holders. And push up the side contacts as well.

Or to use some fine sandpaper on old 555 lamp holder boards contacts.

Also add in to examine the 555 lamp boards molex connectors for cracked headers while they’re at it. Surprising how often these are cracked and need re-soldering.

rd

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

I’ve done that for a long time as well.
    Another is to use a small screwdriver to push the bulb contacts together in the plastic 555 holders. And push up the side contacts as well.

Another good tip. Going to put the disclaimer on here for you and Comet as you know some nincompoop will try to do that with the power on. If you do this please turn your game off first. If you don't and blow a board that's on you

#34 6 years ago

Another solution, instead of going cheap, why not make the wire on the bulb quality like traditional bulbs? No fuss, no muss.

40783amd (resized).jpg40783amd (resized).jpg

#35 6 years ago

Comet is the only company I buy my bulbs from. Always fast and always high quality.

#36 6 years ago

What, this thread isn't for an overpriced roached out machine with OP insulting his (or her, don't want to be sexist) target audience?

Well I'm gone.

#37 6 years ago

I run into defective bulbs from time to time. Bulbs are cheap, even LEDs. It's not worth even asking for a replacement unless your time has a negative value. Always order extra and toss out the rare occasional defective bulb or other cheap thing-a-ma-jig.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/issue-with-comet-leds?hl=fatcake and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.