• Latest reply 6 years ago by maestro
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Mr_&_Ms_PacMan_SwitchMatrix.jpg
#1 6 years ago

I picked up a MM Pac-man that was partially working. It has an Alltek MPU and the others look original. I replaced one molex connector on the MPU which got the game up and running except for the 2 saucers. Both work in test, but not during a game. Contacts are clean and adjusted correctly. I researched and found the suggested ground modification for the solenoid board. I instead decided to install a new rottendog replacement board. Still no luck getting them to work. All wires are connected at the coils and the diodes are also in place. Where do I go from here?

Thanks,
Steve

#2 6 years ago

Check the ceramic capacitors at the switches under the playfield. Probably shorted. If so they can cause all kinds of havoc including not registering switches in gameplay but work in test mode. Remove them and see if the saucers wok in gameplay. Replace though, don't leave them out, because the system needs them to work properly. Its a 0.047 uf ceramic disk capacitor.

Check this out:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacement-switch-capacitorolder-bally-pins

#3 6 years ago

Put it in switch test and see if the saucers register when you drop the ball in. The switches may be heavily oxidized and need cleaning.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from maestro:

Check the ceramic capacitors at the switches under the playfield.

Should both of them have capacitors? Only the left, 2 way (2 coil) saucer has one as well as a diode. The right single coil saucer only has a diode.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Put it in switch test and see if the saucers register when you drop the ball in. The switches may be heavily oxidized and need cleaning.

Neither registers in switch test.

I previously cleaned them and tested with my meter for continuity. Both worked fine.

#6 6 years ago

Both the saucer switches sit on the same column in the switch matrix (common wire between the two is the white-red wire).
Are the other five switches on that column (circled in blue below) registering in switch test mode? From top they are switch numbers 1 to 5 respectively.
If they're not registering, it might just be a connector issue with that white-red wire at J2 pin 1 at the MPU board.

Mr_&_Ms_PacMan_SwitchMatrix.jpgMr_&_Ms_PacMan_SwitchMatrix.jpg

#7 6 years ago

Nothing like finding out your own stupidity led to your problem. My issue was a piss poor crimping job on 2 wires on the J2 MPU plug I originally replaced. Yup, the 2 saucer wires. Once fixed, they both work. All that's left is to resolder the capacitor back on the left saucer switch. Thanks for all the help. I'm going to reflect on my mistake in a large vodka cocktail.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Steve-in-CT:

Neither registers in switch test.

I misunderstood the original post and thought you meant they registered in test. It appears you meant the coils work in test though not the switches. My miss.

However bad caps can cause all kinds of issues. If you're going to be having old Bally games around then get you a bag of those caps. Even though all is working I'd go ahead and put one on the switch that is missing one.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from maestro:

I misunderstood the original post and thought you meant they registered in test. It appears you meant the coils work in test though not the switches. My miss.
However bad caps can cause all kinds of issues. If you're going to be having old Bally games around then get you a bag of those caps. Even though all is working I'd go ahead and put one on the switch that is missing one.

Yup, I replace ALL caps & repin ALL connectors on that era Bally pins. I was chasing ghost farts on my Mr & Mrs pacman pin until I did this. Also check all switch diodes for broken solder joints - I had one that was intermittent & was a bitch to find.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Steve-in-CT:

All that's left is to resolder the capacitor back on the left saucer switch.

Do you mean capacitor or diode? The saucer is not a quick hit switch so it shouldn't have a cap on it.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Do you mean capacitor or diode? The saucer is not a quick hit switch so it shouldn't have a cap on it.

dothedoo I stand corrected sir. My EBD had a cap on its saucer hole. I was having issues with phantom firings so went through replaced all my caps and there was one there. I never questioned it and replaced. Your comment made me chack my schematic and there wasn't one there originally and looking at the matrix above.... nope no cap on the saucers.Perhaps mine was a factory installed error or a later tech put one on? So disregard. No caps on the saucer switches. Glad you found your issue.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 90.00
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/issue-with-both-saucers-on-bally-mr-mrs-pac-man and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.