6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Cheddar
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cheddar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I have a Williams Sorcerer System 9 that keeps blowing Q9 on switch column 3. This contains the pop bumpers so it's obvious 1 of them is returning solenoid voltage to the switch column. After replacing the 2N3904 it tests perfect with a switch tester.

I could disconnect power to each pop and then reconnect until I identify the culprit but that seems wasteful. I tried attaching a test lead to the green orange wire and manipulating the spoon and switch to see if I got continuity to any to the tabs on the spoon switch. No luck.

I'm going to try attaching the dmm on VDC to the green orange wire and ground and then trigger the pop and see if the voltage goes high. Of course I'll disconnect the switch columns from the mpu to so this.

Any other tips to try and find the problem without the trial and error?

#3 6 years ago

What a great tip. With 8 switches in the column I should be able to find it in 3 disconnects.

I'll give it a try!

#4 6 years ago

Probably would have worked but no direct short. I have disconnected the column from the 3 pops to eliminate or identify them. My idea about testing the switch for coil voltage did not work either

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

It's most likely then that one of the pop scoring switches is shorting to the pops activation switch then. Probably missing the insulation paper or nylon grommet (I'm assuming Sorcerer pops use a stacked switch)
Take the switch stacks apart and examine those.

My vote is on nylon grommet

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 749.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cheddar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/isolating-switch-matrix-short?tu=Cheddar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.