6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Blake
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Hi there,
    Im currently troubleshooting an early solid state and know that the out hole coil is bad ( probably the corresponding transistor too) but wondered if i could remove the coil and continue to troubleshoot the rest of the playfield? waiting for parts sucks lol.
    thanks
    blake

#2 6 years ago
    Quoted from Blake:

Hi there,
    Im currently troubleshooting an early solid state and know that the out hole coil is bad ( probably the corresponding transistor too) but wondered if i could remove the coil and continue to troubleshoot the rest of the playfield? waiting for parts sucks lol.
    thanks
    blake

If you know the coil is bad I would test the transistor, as it is likely bad as well.. when it is confirmed as bad just simply remove it. Start making your shopping list for the coul, a couple of those transistors (for spare parts in case you run into others) and continue troubleshooting.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

If you know the coil is bad I would test the transistor, as it is likely bad as well.. when it is confirmed as bad just simply remove it. Start making your shopping list for the coul, a couple of those transistors (for spare parts in case you run into others) and continue troubleshooting.

thanks. after looking at the schematics and identifying the transistor i was able to see the tell tale silver dot at the top where the black meets the silver tab.
    blake

#4 6 years ago

If any wires going to the coil are daisy chained make sure they're still connected to each other after you remove the coil

#5 6 years ago

does it happen to be the same coil as the knocker? good place to scavenge a coil while waiting for the replacement

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

If any wires going to the coil are daisy chained make sure they're still connected to each other after you remove the coil

right on ill make sure.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from chas10e:

does it happen to be the same coil as the knocker? good place to scavenge a coil while waiting for the replacement

good idea ill check it out.
    thanks
    blake

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/isolating-a-coil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.