4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Roverius
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 72devilz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I have a client machine (Stern Lightning) I've been working on that suffered a display high voltage short on the lower body power board, the 200 volt display pin shorted out and burned a hole through the board and arced across the neighboring pins. I offered to buy the machine from her knowing that it was going to be an expensive repair but she agreed to my estimated repair costs. The short damaged the Power / Solenoid board which I repaired and damaged the MPU which was replaced along with the lower body power board.

When I first booted the machine with the new MPU everything worked without issue however the voices were present but distorted and after a short time the voices got progressively worse and they are pretty much long static patterns now. Sound pitch is present when the board is triggered and works as expected according to game action so I assume the voice chip is working. U10 was generating excessive heat on the right side and removal did not improve the issue. I have removed both U9 and U10 to silence the VSU-100 for the time being and the machine is working and playing sans voices after a 10+ year sleep.

My client is so happy to have the machine back and running in its current playing condition that the missing voices aren't much of an issue for her but wouldn't mind having the voices working if the cost is reasonable considering she has spent quite a bit on me getting this machine back up and running. After a bit of internet searching I have not found any source for the sound Roms so figured I'd ping the forum to see if I can find any sources.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The ROM files are on IPDB: https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1441
Can you burn EPROMs, or were you looking to order the EPROMs with the code on them from somewhere?

I was looking to purchase the coded ROMs. I don’t have an EPROM burner but I might know somebody who does. Would you happen to know the size of blank EPROMs needed for this machine?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
$ 125.00
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Malboro, NJ
$ 10.00
$ 69.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 72devilz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iso-stern-lightning-vsu-100-roms?tu=72devilz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.