(Topic ID: 60513)

Isn't it funny?

By DocRotCod

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

Isn't it funny how Pins are a priority? For example, going to lunch - "$20?? Are you kidding me?? Way too expensive!!" "Or $400 for an arcade game? I won't pay a penny over $350!!"

"Oh, an Addams Family? $4500, ok no problem, now let me buy $500 in mods and LEDs".

Just a funny thought I had...

#2 10 years ago

Well I can honestly say I'm wearing a broken pair of eye glasses so I can try and finish my TftC up. It's all about priorities.

#3 10 years ago

We prioritized fun above some other needs.
    It is an affliction not a hobby after all.

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from DocRotCod:

Isn't it funny how Pins are a priority? For example, going to lunch - "$20?? Are you kidding me?? Way too expensive!!" "Or $400 for an arcade game? I won't pay a penny over $350!!"
    "Oh, an Addams Family? $4500, ok no problem, now let me buy $500 in mods and LEDs".
    Just a funny thought I had...

Totally agree

#5 10 years ago

i hear that all the time.

#6 10 years ago

You know what they say.
    Hobbies first!
    I can think of far worse things to spend your time and money on.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#7 10 years ago

Yeah, I concern myself over saving $5 on something and then I blow $12k on MM. Doesn't really make sense, does it?

#8 10 years ago

My wife tells me the same thing all the time. How can I be so cheap and not spend $5 on something but will buy another pinball machine in a heart beat. I just keep telling her think of all those $5 saving at some point will equal all the games I have bought.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from vectordreams:

I just keep telling her think of all those $5 saving at some point will equal all the games I have bought.

Sounds logical to me

#10 10 years ago

I think a lot of it has to do with the high resale value of pins.-you can typically sell them for what you bought them for. If I could sell back my clothes for what I bought them for years later or get re-reimbursed for all my dinner/dining expenses I'm sure I'd be more apt to spend money on that stuff. If pins depreciated 20-30% per year like personal electronics I'm sure we'd be less prone to throw our money into pins and build large collections. I know people say that pins aren't investments but they really are regardless of what anyone says!

#11 10 years ago

Agree with the value aspect of pins. I HATE paying for food. I eat off the dollar menu at Wendys and keep a 12 pack of drinks in the trunk, refuse to pay more than $30 total for myself and husband to eat out and that's only on special occasions, use coupons at the grocery store, etc. I put no value in food, and in a lot of areas I consider myself very cheap. But when it comes to cars, houses, appliances, and pinballs, I want the best available for the most reasonable amount. I don't purposely buy pins as an investment, but I know that if something happened and I had to have money, I could sell my pins and not lose anything on them, probably make a little profit actually. It's more fun to play pins than have money sitting in a savings account making 0.04% interest.

#12 10 years ago

Made a deal with the wife, she got new lounge and table $2100 all up in return I got a brand new boxed Acdc $8500 (Aussie price) haha she finally commented on the difference and I said you got 2 things to my 1.........good deal in my head lol

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

Agree with the value aspect of pins. I HATE paying for food. I eat off the dollar menu at Wendys and keep a 12 pack of drinks in the trunk, refuse to pay more than $30 total for myself and husband to eat out and that's only on special occasions, use coupons at the grocery store, etc. I put no value in food, and in a lot of areas I consider myself very cheap. But when it comes to cars, houses, appliances, and pinballs, I want the best available for the most reasonable amount. I don't purposely buy pins as an investment, but I know that if something happened and I had to have money, I could sell my pins and not lose anything on them, probably make a little profit actually. It's more fun to play pins than have money sitting in a savings account making 0.04% interest.

THIS ^^^^^

I will poop out my next nice dinner at a restaurant but get to enjoy my pins and nice home every day.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/isnt-it-funny and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.