(Topic ID: 222692)

Is Zombie Yeti the Official King of Pinball (Modern) Art Now?

By MinusWorlds

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by soapblox
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is ZY the Best Pinball Artist Right Now?”

• Uh yeah don’t be an idiot 58 votes
    70%
  • Nope, sorry, DD is still the man 5 votes
    6%
  • Too close to call. 20 votes
    24%

(83 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

87EB73B4-FA79-401E-9317-F598C1E7F4F7 (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

With the release of the Deadpool packages and the work he did on GB and IMDN I’m thinking he is the best of the current artists. I love DD’s work too, but there is something special about what ZY is doing right now.

Between the two of them they’ve brought back artwork as a main focal point of pinballs. Which IMO is a very, very, good thing.

Thoughts?

#2 5 years ago

I was a little weary of the cult of zombie, just because whenever the masses around here get so uniformly behind something it inevitably turns out to be stupid.

But I have to admit, the answer to your question is probably yes.

With ZY they have a distinctive, unified artistic vision, kind of like Gottlieb did in the 50's-70s , when they basically had 2 guys do the art for the majority of hundreds of pins. It's a good idea to have a cohesive look to these games, with well-drawn, creative, and immersive artwork that people will instantly identify as a Stern pin.

I think with the amount of licensing they do, we are still going to run into photoshop disasters like Game of Thrones, but maybe the success of these hand-drawn art packages will make Stern a little more selective of which licenses they put into production as well. Clearly, some licensors are going to be more amenable to artistic freedom than others.

#3 5 years ago

He's undeniably an incredible talent, and we are all fortunate that he found his way into the pinball world. It's the one good thing that came out of the whole Jpop debacle.

#4 5 years ago

I would say yes, but DD has also had the shittier, be far, themes.

#5 5 years ago

Has Zombie Yeti done Ghostbusters, Iron Maiden and DeadPool?
Dirty Donny: Metallica and Aerosmith?

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

Has Zombie Yeti done Ghostbusters, Iron Maiden and DeadPool?
Dirty Donny: Metallica and Aerosmith?

Yes, and DD also did PBR Can Crusher which is amazing work if you haven’t seen it yet.

#7 5 years ago

Franchi is pretty good too! The art on Guardians is fantastic!

Yeti does have an amazing style though and is probably the top pinball artist right now. Deadpool looks amazing.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Yes, and DD also did PBR Can Crusher which is amazing work if you haven’t seen it yet.

Ahh yes, Pabst, that one does look great. I can't wait to see what DD does next.

Personally, I believe ZombieYeti's pinball artwork is superior but I think we can all agree that we are very lucky that these two artists have found their way into the pinball community.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Franchi is pretty good too!

Yeah, I'm a fan of both Batman66 and Guardians.

#10 5 years ago

Did anyone ever catch the GOTG artwork that Donnie posted on his instagram? He was vauge about it but said it was "for a client" and "unused" if memory served. It looks like they planned to have Donnie do that artwork but then changed gears and went another direction with Franchi. I have never heard Donnie speak about it what other reason would he have had to be drawing what amounts to a translite for GOTG at the exact same time the pin was in development?

#11 5 years ago

IMO Metallica is easily the best playfield art on a recent Stern. To me ZY's pfs are still trying to cram too much in, both art and colour wise, and don't work quite as well.

The Premium and LE cabinets on Deadpool do look fantastic - I'd say best on a Stern ... though decal and print quality to be determined.

IMO, Zornow has set a new high watermark for recent machines with pf, cabinet and LCD work for Alice Cooper.

But if we think back a few years, these guys amongst others (Franchi / Youssi etc) are all top notch,and producing far better work compared to the bad years.

#12 5 years ago

Both are super talented, but I'm more of a Christopher Franchi guy.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

IMO, Zornow has set a new high watermark for recent machines with pf, cabinet and LCD work for Alice Cooper.

Glad you mentioned Jeff Zornow. I think Dirty Donnie, Zombie Yeti, and Jeff Zornow are a trio of artists that will create some amazing pinball artwork. I prefer their styles over the more realistic artwork of Christopher Franchi.

#14 5 years ago

He's no Roy Parker.

#15 5 years ago

Zombie Yeti!

87EB73B4-FA79-401E-9317-F598C1E7F4F7 (resized).jpeg87EB73B4-FA79-401E-9317-F598C1E7F4F7 (resized).jpeg
#16 5 years ago

Yeti is awesome and is very versatile...they could probably give him any license and request any style and he could pull it off. Donny's style is a bit more specifically Donny....so far, I think Donny's art actually "feels more pinball" if that makes sense. Franchi is good too, but so far his games kinda look like Stern's older photoshop games, even though they're not. His style is just so realistic, it feels stiffer more "product"-ish, kinda like WOZ.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

IMO Metallica is easily the best playfield art on a recent Stern.

I think DD's work on Aerosmith's playfield blows Metallica out of the water but I know art is subjective. We are lucky to have such talented artists doing pinball art today!

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I think DD's work on Aerosmith's playfield blows Metallica out of the water but I know art is subjective. We are lucky to have such talented artists doing pinball art today!

We really are. It’s crazy how just a few years ago we were complaining about the photoshop PF’s and now we are absolutely being spoiled. It’s pretty awesome.

#19 5 years ago

Python, Freres, and Youssi are still my favorites. They have raw/creative work, that did not look like a derivative of properties from the IP holder.

Least favorite is the work on Aliens and Predator. Both look ripped from a DVD box cover.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from scott_freeman:

Least favorite is the work on Aliens and Predator. Both look ripped from a DVD box cover.

Predator looked like it was ripped off a goddamn cereal box

#21 5 years ago

Franchi is just too photoshoppy for me. He is definitely talented, and far better than what Stern was doing in the 2000's till recently, but the hand drawn line art of ZY is amazing. DD is great, particularly on AS and Can Crusher, but not as much a fan of the style over ZY. Either way, we are lucky to have all of them doing art nowadays. I was complaining for years how horrific pinball art became...Great to see this sort of renaissance.

#22 5 years ago

Franchi's photorealism is so good it's almost unbelievable. Yeti's art is less detailed, but more stylized. 2 very different styles.

DD is great as well. His black line skills are top notch.

I'm glad we have them all. Seems like the shitty PS collage era is finally behind us.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Predator looked like it was ripped off a goddamn cereal box

Or just ripped off.

#24 5 years ago

At least with this guy it isn't quite as obvious who's style he ripped off.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

At least with this guy it isn't quite as obvious who's style he ripped off.

That's called "inspired by" or "influences" in the art business

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Merrimack, NH
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 18.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 103.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
$ 25.50
$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-zombie-yeti-the-official-king-of-pinball-modern-art-now?hl=dkjimbo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.