(Topic ID: 164959)

Is your Stern ghosting / crazing / insert lifting / other ?

By flashinstinct

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 724 posts
  • 197 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Who-Dey
  • Topic is favorited by 29 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“I own a GB, GOT, SMVE, Other”

• My SMVE playfield has issues 47 votes
    12%
  • My GOT playfield has issues 56 votes
    15%
  • My GB playfield has issues 126 votes
    33%
  • My SMVE playfield has no issues 20 votes
    5%
  • My GOT playfield has no issues 61 votes
    16%
  • My GB playfield has no issues 73 votes
    19%

(Multiple choice - 383 votes by 295 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

got2 (resized).jpg
got (resized).jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
got1 1 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170817-003356 (resized).png
Screenshot_20170816-191046 (resized).png
Screenshot_20170816-191229 (resized).png
Screenshot_20170816-190921 (resized).png
20891245_10214168576867555_1762156284_n (resized).jpg
20864577_10214168576307541_479756045_n (1) (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider who-dey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#527 7 years ago
Quoted from cmv040:

Add me to list. Sold my 3 other used pins to purchase this guy. #359/500 and less than 30 plays. One site with ghosting and the insert is already recessed in with palpable ridge. Even bought the topper and side art inserts (aka a lot of money here). Such a shame to negatively impact an otherwise awesome game (when the ball stays on the field). Was really expecting better here. Hope this gets fixed but from the sounds of it nothing is really moving forward.

Wow.......smfh! Sorry to hear this dude.

10 months later
#645 6 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

I don't mind crazing too much as I think the clear has good " bite " on them
My TWD Prem has the same thing

Same here. Crazing doesn't bother me at all. I don't put that in the same category as chipping or ghosting at all.

2 weeks later
#653 6 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Well so far I have not heard one complaint of MMR or AFMr ghosting? So it's not all pinball manufacturers. JJP Woz had a chipping issue in the beginning.
MMr had some playfields with light insert printing.
But I don't recall seeing any posts about TH or DILE having insert ghosting.
Or spooky either.
And also due to the fact that Stern has had so many issues. And can't seem to release a pin on spike that doesn't crash when idle or being played. And that every pin they make now is a rehashed layout with no innovation. And that they deny all issues. And try to sweep them under the rug. Not just ghosting inserts. I am never purchasing another machine from them again.
So at least part of what you said is correct.
My MMr LE doesn't even have noticable dimples. After over 3000 plays. But when I had GB, MET, and IMVE they all looked like the moon within the first few weeks. And you could see the wood grain on my IMVE playfield out of the box.
If you look at the pins I currently own and what I have owned in the past none have had serious playfield issues. Other than what you would expect from years in an arcade. Not like in a few months for the NIB Stern's I have owned. The clearcoat either chipped or dimpled. ST not too bad. XMen LE ball drain.
GB, met, and IMVE all soft crap. My Potc was clearcoated by the previous owner because the playfield was crap from the factory (woodgrain). Hell, kiss LEs in my distributors showroom look like they put the art on unfinished plywood. So it's nothing but cost cutting. Not enough clearcoat, Crappy Soft wood and profit over pride in their product.
It's not normal, it never was, until Stern started mass producing pins with the same issue.
Honestly sorry for the long rant. But this "it's the norm now" attitude really pisses me off.
And the fact that Stern pinball now has no soul.

Pretty sure that when the MMR games first came out there was some clear coat chipping going on. Stern is having some issues right now and there is no denying it but you have to remember that they are also selling a hell of alot more games than anyone else is too, so it only stands to reason that you're going to see alot more complaints about their games.

#656 6 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

3 week old Star Wars has at least 8 ghosting inserts. I have an email into Stern and my distributor. Should be interesting to see where this goes with the new policy

I believe that you will have no problem getting a replacement. Thats unbelievable though....sorry about your bad luck, that sucks. Stern really needs to get on top of this and fix this problem once and for all. There's no reason that they can make AS playfields with such high quality and then they can't make SW playfields worth a crap.

3 months later
#686 6 years ago

Yeah your distributor SUCKS dude and I would post their compay name on pinside if I were you. I would be in shock if you talk to Stern and send then pics if they don't replace your playfield. Also tell your distributor that there has in fact been a few issues with GOT playfields. Your distributor is horrible.

#688 6 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

I contacted my distributor, I assumed they should communicate with and represent/convey sterns decision. There should be no difference, but it appears that that may not be the case - and some distributors may not even bother asking.
Hopefully that is the case, and stern will take care of it. I've owned a dozen or so sterns and only had one issue I had to contact them with (node board on my GB) and I had a new one in a few days.
Yes, it was bought from player 1/ starburst whatever you want to call them in Canada, and yes I dont care for them and try my best to avoid them.

Yep I know I would avoid them. They did not go to bat for you like a distributor should. Terrible customer service there now!

#690 6 years ago
Quoted from PinLen83:

What happened to this being "normal"?
They're selectively choosing who they're going to satisfy, and who they won't.
That's cool....

Of course it's their decision, who else's decision would it be?

#692 6 years ago
Quoted from PinLen83:

Either fix them all, or don't fix any. It's that simple. Why revise your warranty guidelines, then, balk on encorcement?

Of course they should fix them all, but they still have the final call on it. I’m sure there will be people’s that they don’t feel like deserve a replacement but if your playfield has seven ghosted inserts that’s pretty much a no brainer there.

1 week later
#698 6 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Sure, not the worst ghosting Ive seen, but still 7 inserts like this:

How.many plays on your game and how old is it?

#705 6 years ago
Quoted from mayuh:

Hey libtech, your ghosting is really close to none. I’d be more worried about the lowered inserts and the fine line you see in the black outline around the inserts. There you’ll get some serious wear in 6 months or so... then again the lowered inserts may have introduced that minor ghosting

Lowered inserts? I don't see anything like that at all in those pictures. I also don't think the ghosting is bad enough to warrant a playfield swap either personally.......at least right now. It very well may never get any worse either. Obviously it kind of sucks but the ghosting is hardly noticeable. As far as the resale value goes because of the ghosting, I don't think that argument is going to hold any water in this case considering how minor it is.

#707 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Hopefully it's just a trick of light

I still don't really see a sinking insert. Th OP would be able to tell easy enough though. Curious to swe what he says.

Edit: I do see now what you are talking about, the darker line right? Be interesting to see if he says if it's sunken or not.

1 month later
#713 6 years ago
Quoted from Cooky77950:

Hi,
Can you tell me who makes the playfields of stern pinball machines ?

Steve Ritchie....that SOB!!

3 weeks later
#717 6 years ago
Quoted from kell:

Was just told by Stern the replacement program ended last year...
Anyone get a GB replacement recently? I reported it over a year ago.

If you reported it then it should be on record. Who did you report it to?

#719 6 years ago
Quoted from kell:

My distributor. I agree and hope you are right, just not sure how Stern will handle. I would have bought a SW by now had they addressed this.

I would definitely be in contact with your distributor if i were you to make damn sure that you haven't been conveniently forgotten about, and if you have been then i would let everyone on Pinside know about it for the rest of my life.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Machine - For Sale
Boise, ID
17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 49.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

17,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider who-dey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-your-stern-ghosting-grazing-insert-lifting-other?tu=who-dey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.