(Topic ID: 164959)

Is your Stern ghosting / crazing / insert lifting / other ?

By flashinstinct

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 724 posts
  • 197 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Who-Dey
  • Topic is favorited by 29 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“I own a GB, GOT, SMVE, Other”

• My SMVE playfield has issues 47 votes
    12%
  • My GOT playfield has issues 56 votes
    15%
  • My GB playfield has issues 126 votes
    33%
  • My SMVE playfield has no issues 20 votes
    5%
  • My GOT playfield has no issues 61 votes
    16%
  • My GB playfield has no issues 73 votes
    19%

(Multiple choice - 383 votes by 295 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

got2 (resized).jpg
got (resized).jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
got1 1 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170817-003356 (resized).png
Screenshot_20170816-191046 (resized).png
Screenshot_20170816-191229 (resized).png
Screenshot_20170816-190921 (resized).png
20891245_10214168576867555_1762156284_n (resized).jpg
20864577_10214168576307541_479756045_n (1) (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider manic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#136 7 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

Ghosting formed then cracking and dropping of the insert. Zoom in on this sucker and tell me you would buy this game... under 150 plays by the way.

So you can literally feel that the insert has dropped down a bit? If so then there's the issue... not the clear but that the inserts are sinking.

#228 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Fresh out of the box LE:

Shades of CV!

#237 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Yeah, except CV was only $1700 on closeout because nobody on earth wanted them.

Turned out to be the best $1700 I ever spent though... If I ever sell the thing

#285 7 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Seeing those inserts on The Last Action Hero leads me to believe that it's just cosmetic. That pin has been around for how many years and don't see any playfield damage as a result of those inserts.

So you haven't seen the recent pics where the clear is already chipping and cracking around the ghosted areas? Plus KPG just had a painted chunk come off his clearcoat... not even related to the ghosting.

But yeah... if it wasn't for these issues your comment would make sense. Some never do get worse... my closeout CV has some of this and it never changed or cracked.

#302 7 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

well my gb le built 8-1-16
play field 7-21
many many issues:
ghosting inserts
2 cracked white triangular inserts at magna slings there is a lip on the inserts. its so bad i thought it was misapplication of mylar. one is ghosting also at the slings.
play field is really bad.

Yeah I'm shocked by the cracking around the inserts on some of these machines. This is no longer like CV's purely cosmetic problem back in the day. I'm actually surprised the fresh CC CAN even crack so soon as usually it stays pretty flexible for a long time after the initial application.

Maybe they really did try a faster harder CC like the ceramic stuff that some other makers experimented with. I'm hazy on the details but I think they gave up on that as the results were disappointing.

#304 7 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

i am not gonna get aggravated by this. i am gonna play the pin and have my vendor open a case with stern. i work in the commercial truck industry and you would be surprised 6 out of 10 new trucks are coming in with numerous issues so new doesnt always reflect perfection. i am a problem solver and just gonna figure a way of resolving this with stern. my gb has the playfield issue and the mismatched side rails. i am positive stern will cover the issues. just have to figure it out. enjoy the game. it is supposed to be fun so for now i am playing it. ill keep posting updates so we can share any info we are getting from stern. i pretty much prepared myself to expect the worst and i got exactly that.

You got the right attitude... I'm impressed - good thing too as it seems you got every bad issue in one package.

Hang in there dude... it'll get worked out.

#329 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Current pic of lifting clear coat and artwork, peeling off like a band aid

"Falls within quality specifications"... "normal wear and tear"... j/k

I hope you're sending these to every Stern mailbox you know - I'll be damned if you shouldn't get a fully populated PF and an apology for your time and effort to swap it out and send the old clunker back.

Your PF should go to their forensic lab under the heading "what went wrong here"? Might help them figure it out. I mean that is some DRAMATIC deterioration in a few weeks time. I've really never seen one fall apart on an almost day to day basis like this.

#330 7 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

If stern ever does send out PFs to replace these bad ones I'm willing to do the swaps for $1000 as long as the new PF is drilled and dimpled. You won't get anyone else to do it for that.

Good thing the machines were so cheap to start with huh?

#374 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Ghosting only; I posted pics.

I remember that... but then you said "they're moving". But now not even heat moves them... I'm confused?

With all this talk about travel... where do you keep it?

#375 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Impressive given the travel time and timezones. Normally heading east consumes at least 1 day from even the east coast.. and heading back can be done in the same calendar day, but still consumes almost a full day on your body.

I'm aware.. but I don't see how that relates to what I posted regarding the position/movement of inserts post-sanding. You saying it was frosted only tells you the position of the insert at that time (not the hole) or the glue's integrity at a later point. An improperly seated insert could be sanded flat, and sink later if the glue was not enough to stand up to the environment over time.
In the photo I don't see an insert with no clear on it. I see an insert with clear that has separated from the insert around the lower edge and cracked along the left side in the keyline, but the insert still appears to be covered. The yellowish areas look possibly different, but I'm not clear if that's the routed hole causing that coloring. Where are we seeing a naked insert?

I remember the guy that posted that dramatic pic said it was simply ghosted and now cracking along the ghosted edges. He didn't say any part of the insert was uncovered.

Of course by now that may be the case - looking at that pic again.

#381 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I wanted it in my hotel room, but my boss would not pay the freight.

You're the master deflector my friend... but you're just so damn entertaining

#427 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Although there's no photographic evidence of her playing neckid, here's a pic of her playing GB.. I think she loves playing pinball more then me! Although I always make fun of her for needing to play sitting in a chair all the time
(i'll delete this pic very soon as she would kill me for posting it!)

NOW we're cookin' !!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 49.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Rockland, ON
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider manic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-your-stern-ghosting-grazing-insert-lifting-other?tu=manic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.