(Topic ID: 164959)

Is your Stern ghosting / crazing / insert lifting / other ?

By flashinstinct

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 724 posts
  • 197 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Who-Dey
  • Topic is favorited by 29 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“I own a GB, GOT, SMVE, Other”

• My SMVE playfield has issues 47 votes
    12%
  • My GOT playfield has issues 56 votes
    15%
  • My GB playfield has issues 126 votes
    33%
  • My SMVE playfield has no issues 20 votes
    5%
  • My GOT playfield has no issues 61 votes
    16%
  • My GB playfield has no issues 73 votes
    19%

(Multiple choice - 383 votes by 295 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

got2 (resized).jpg
got (resized).jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
got1 1 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170817-003356 (resized).png
Screenshot_20170816-191046 (resized).png
Screenshot_20170816-191229 (resized).png
Screenshot_20170816-190921 (resized).png
20891245_10214168576867555_1762156284_n (resized).jpg
20864577_10214168576307541_479756045_n (1) (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider libtech.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#410 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

BAD distributor BAD! If a product is defective it is not a candidate for a re-stocking fee. a re-stocking fee is for a product where you changed your mind on the purchase just because you did not because the product is a lemon and falling apart. Who in their right mind would pay that fee. Heck you could sale the defective game for less then a 15% loss on what you paid. BAD distributor BAD!

They are a horrible distributor, and have a monopoly on the importing of Sterns to Canada. I wish Stern would do something about that as well..

1 year later
#679 6 years ago

Im very DISSAPOINTED with Stern on this one. This summer i purchased a Game of Thrones which ended up having 7 inserts with ghosting in them. Im not a super picky person, and can accept slight issues within reason, but 7 inerts on one playfield? Compleate bullshit.

So I messaged the distributor, and recived the reponse that 'stern hasnt had any issues with game of thrones playfields, and doesnt replace them.'

Anyways, I like to give a company a chance to make things right before I complain, but they are unwilling to do so. I will no longer be purchasing any new Sterns, and I had a Guardians of the galaxy on order, but will be canceling it if it hasnt shipped yet.

#684 6 years ago

Thanks for the posts guys, I'll try contacting stern directly

#687 6 years ago
Quoted from dzoomer:

All that Stern hate and you never even contacted them about the issue.....
Good luck, and let us know what the outcome is.

I contacted my distributor, I assumed they should communicate with and represent/convey sterns decision. There should be no difference, but it appears that that may not be the case - and some distributors may not even bother asking.

Hopefully that is the case, and stern will take care of it. I've owned a dozen or so sterns and only had one issue I had to contact them with (node board on my GB) and I had a new one in a few days.

Yes, it was bought from player 1/ starburst whatever you want to call them in Canada, and yes I dont care for them and try my best to avoid them.

#693 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Of course they should fix them all, but they still have the final call on it. I’m sure there will be people’s that they don’t feel like deserve a replacement but if your playfield has seven ghosted inserts that’s pretty much a no brainer there.

Apparently not. Response from Stern is that "its perfectly normal, and not a problem"

Well it is for me, Gotg order canceled, no more new Sterns for me.

#697 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

I'd be interested to see what your playfield looks like.
Got any pics?

Sure, not the worst ghosting Ive seen, but still 7 inserts like this:

got1 1 (resized).jpggot1 1 (resized).jpg

#699 6 years ago

Not sure on plays, it was bought new last spring

#700 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

I'd be interested to see what your playfield looks like.
Got any pics?

Finally on my home PC, so I can post them all, maybe I'm being unreasonable, but my concerns are:

-Just how many inserts are affected, not to mention GOT has large black rings around each insert so probably many more are started. Obviously something was improperly prepped during playfield production.
-How the ghosting will progress, I tried to report this when the game was only 5-6 months old, since in a few years obviously nothing would be done.
-Although its not affecting gameplay, damn right its going to kill my resale value when I'm done with the game down the road.

As mentioned I love this game, and just want one without issues.

1.jpg1.jpg
2.jpg2.jpg
3.jpg3.jpg
4.jpg4.jpg
5.jpg5.jpg
6.jpg6.jpg
7.jpg7.jpg

#703 6 years ago

I can, and do still really enjoy playing it The problem is I know that no game lasts forever in my collection; and when I do sell, games with issues tend to go for alot less than examples in exellent shape.

So the question is should I be responsible to take a loss of value when I go to sell because of a defective playfield or should Stern provide a playfield with no issues so that I do not?

#710 6 years ago

Working nights, just got up.

There is definately a small lip around it, but I do think its solid, and not sinking. And not out of line when compaired to every other insert. (Maybethe playfield was slightly poorly leveled, or just from expansion/contraction from moisture changes and heat)

Anyways, so it appears Im being unreasonable, but would you be happy reciving a playfield like this? Either from stern, or if someone sold it to you without telling you?

Unfortunately my purchases are heavily influenced by resale value, when I buy nib or used, I plan for losing xxx amount off the bat and Im ok with that, but when xxx becomes xxxx because of manufacturing defects?

Im still out on new Sterns, I have not had these issues with any of my other pins either made by JJP, or Heighway, (or any of my other Sterns to be fair). But if they are not willing to support their product for even smaller issues Im not willing to pay the premium for a new game and take a gamble on develping cosmetic issues and losing money down the road because of them.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
Machine - For Sale
Rockland, ON
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 49.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

7,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider libtech.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-your-stern-ghosting-grazing-insert-lifting-other?tu=libtech and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.