(Topic ID: 164959)

Is your Stern ghosting / crazing / insert lifting / other ?

By flashinstinct

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 724 posts
  • 197 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Who-Dey
  • Topic is favorited by 29 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“I own a GB, GOT, SMVE, Other”

• My SMVE playfield has issues 47 votes
    12%
  • My GOT playfield has issues 56 votes
    15%
  • My GB playfield has issues 126 votes
    33%
  • My SMVE playfield has no issues 20 votes
    5%
  • My GOT playfield has no issues 61 votes
    16%
  • My GB playfield has no issues 73 votes
    19%

(Multiple choice - 383 votes by 295 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

got2 (resized).jpg
got (resized).jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
got1 1 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170817-003356 (resized).png
Screenshot_20170816-191046 (resized).png
Screenshot_20170816-191229 (resized).png
Screenshot_20170816-190921 (resized).png
20891245_10214168576867555_1762156284_n (resized).jpg
20864577_10214168576307541_479756045_n (1) (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kpg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#175 7 years ago

#FixMyPlayfield

Stern says contact distributor
Distributor contacts Stern and says they don't reply

#NoMoreSternNIB

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#208 7 years ago
Quoted from MichaelHiggins:

The fact that Stern knowingly sent out playfields with a spelling mistake leads me to think they will do nothing here. Such a shame that this pin is being defined by a quality control issue and Stern is leaving buyers/owners in the dark. Not good mates. Not good at all.

Yeah, originally they said the spelling mistake was only on "prototype" playfields and that it would be corrected in production games. Then they ship them out anyway, spelling mistake and all- with a crappy "prototype" Slimer mechanism that you were lucky to see it register 3/10 times. Now the ghosting issue. Overall, total joke for a company who has been manufacturing pinball machines for 30+ years.

1 week later
#305 7 years ago

I know I've posted this on other threads, but maybe someone could shed light on why my playfield has the clear coat + artwork actually coming apart in a chunk? It can't be just clear coat being the issue here..

IMG_2504_(resized).JPGIMG_2504_(resized).JPG

#308 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Hard airball hit near a playfield edge can definitely do that even without the Stern PF issues of late, but I have to say that this seem extra suspicious in light of the other PF problems. Is this in a temp-controlled environment? In my experience Sterns are also more susceptible to planking in areas with wide temperature swings.

All my other Stern machines are fine, and also my Hobbit. Never had this issue in the past with any machine.

Also, just noticed this chunk missing by the left outlane... the playfield is literally dissenegrating rapidly at this point.

IMG_2519_(resized).JPGIMG_2519_(resized).JPG

#309 7 years ago

Clear coat failing around right metal lane guide

IMG_2520_(resized).JPGIMG_2520_(resized).JPG

#310 7 years ago

Clear coat cracked in shooter Lane after only 154 plays

IMG_2521_(resized).JPGIMG_2521_(resized).JPG

#311 7 years ago

Current pic of lifting clear coat and artwork, peeling off like a band aid

IMG_2523_(resized).JPGIMG_2523_(resized).JPG

#313 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

But are they inside in a temperature controlled room, or in something like a garage or something else where the A/C and heat don't control the temp?

Garage and it does get hot in here.. but all my pins are in the same garage.

#396 7 years ago
Quoted from Air_Pinball:

Some people's criticism of The Hobbit have nothing to do with the code.
Hard to get a feel for the code, when the game puts you to sleep in 30 seconds.

I'd take my Hobbit over my GBLE in two seconds, and that's not even considering the playfield falling apart w/ my GB.

Hobbit is a much better quality package all around, and so much fun in a different way. It's a great pin. If it puts you to sleep you should see a doctor as you might have some health issues that need to be addressed.

#399 7 years ago
Quoted from zaterminator:

One of the 6 people in our group playing just stopped playing at like 1.4 million. He said "I just wanted it to end."
To each his own, but we all felt the same. Not particularly interesting and mildly boring.

I've found that 1 in 6 people in any group will stop playing in the middle of any game, of any pinball machine out there. Some people just don't like pinball and it doesn't excite them. Interesting thing is most guests that come to my house immediately gravitate and stick to the Hobbit because it looks newer and more modern to them with the big LCD, and everyone comments on how cool it is because it's so "wide" and the sound is very movie like. Their words, not mine- but it's the clear hit in my small collection.

#404 7 years ago
Quoted from iwantansi:

Games are meant to be played - Sound like his Hobbit helps do that

Exactly - I've noticed it attracts people to play pinball who probably wouldn't otherwise be interested in it, due to its first impressions. Then they have fun playing it over and over again. It's pretty cool as I played pinball so much as a kid and base a lot of games on childhood experiences, and Hobbit appeals to more people who have never touched a pinball machine in their whole lives. This is all based on my experiences, though.

#405 7 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

So basically you saying people who know nothing about pinball and don't care about gameplay are impressed it's flashy and new.
Hmmm I buy my games for how they play not to impress the neighbors.

Good! Don't buy anything to impress neighbors.

I bought Hobbit because the game is cool as fuck, fun, built like a tank, and feels worth every penny I spent on it too. As a bonus, it impresses neighbors and friends, and women get undressed as soon as they stand near it. (Ok, I'll admit, that last one was a lie. But one time my wife played it naked... does that count? haha)

#414 7 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

Pics or it didn't happen.

Although there's no photographic evidence of her playing neckid, here's a pic of her playing GB.. I think she loves playing pinball more then me! Although I always make fun of her for needing to play sitting in a chair all the time

(i'll delete this pic very soon as she would kill me for posting it!)

2016-08-05_21.40.04_(resized).jpg2016-08-05_21.40.04_(resized).jpg

#425 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

delete what picture ?

hahahah dude.. note to self.. do not post personal pics to internet...

#430 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You'll only want her if she is married.
Trust me.

I would have to say.. that is the truth

1 week later
#491 7 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

I get wanting to protect scoops and similar places on the playfield where wear affects artwork you see, but i dont understand these efforts to protect shooter lanes and ball drain holes under aprons. These are normal wear areas.

You sure about that?

2016-08-15 20.54.41 (resized).jpg2016-08-15 20.54.41 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#563 7 years ago

You have to laugh that after all this, they release a "special" Batman model for $15,000.

I mean, what have they shown so far that gives confidence they have doubled the quality of the product since they are doubling the price?

#565 7 years ago
Quoted from scott_freeman:

people are posting on facebook that this issue is resolved.
Can anyone on pinside confirm this issue has been cleared up?

I am still waiting on my replacement playfield.. havent heard of anyone getting theirs yet. I'd love to see how they know its resolved.

#568 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I was still told "keep taking photos and I will let you know after things get worked out with GBLE owners on the beta run of the 'program'" VERY sad to see you have not been taken care of yet.
Have ANY GB owners (LE or Pro) been taken care of?

I was originally told October.. I am just waiting for Trent @ Tilt to contact me and tell me the replacement playfield is ready so I can ship back the existing one to them to get a new one. If it goes past October, then I will probably be a bit pissed off..

#584 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

update and a WTF!
I stop out over lunch to wipe down our games once each week. Today I am at our eastside location and could not believe my eyes... Fing KISS has ghosting also! The main lock insert is ghosting down the entire side. Seriously, WTF!!!!!!!!!!
That makes 4 games and over 20k in Stern games we now own with pf issues.

Holy crap dude! Sorry to hear this... Hit up your distributor, Patrick Powers, and email Gary Stern himself and I bet they will work with you on this.

#599 7 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

whats the update on your situation ?

My update is that I am waiting to hear from Trent as to when Stern has my new PF ready to ship to me so I can send mine back.

But to update the condition of my playfield, I have several more ghosting inserts and a couple inserts are cracking and separating from the playfield at this point. I hope they fix these problems before they ship those $15,000 games to Batman Super LE buyers !

#606 7 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Gary personally denied WhySnow admission into the Stern Army, so KPG suggesting that WhySnow reach out to Gary directly probably isn't gonna help.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-army?tu=whysnow

Honestly, regardless of the whole Stern Army thing, I bet Gary would be fine with helping him out and fixing any manufacturer defective parts and play fields.

After talking to Gary I felt he really did care about taking care of those of us affected and I don't think he will leave anyone hanging with a pile of crap playfield. This is after talking to him of course, and it's my opinion- but he seemed sincere and I have no reason to think he won't honor his word. I don't seem why reaching out to him wouldn't work, especially since he's a pretty big operator and owns a lot of Stern machines.

Truth is it's going to probably take them another month or two to get these new playfields built to send to us, so being patient is key. Meanwhile, my playfield is breaking down like a Chinese motorcycle.. but it's all good because it's a fun game, and equally as fun watching pieces of playfield fly all over the place LOL

#614 7 years ago

Looks like Stern has announced their 'fix' for ghosting playfields

They have partnered with Cliffy to offer a FULL playfield cliffy mod! No more ghosting!

GhostingCliffy (resized).jpgGhostingCliffy (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 49.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Advance, NC
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kpg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-your-stern-ghosting-grazing-insert-lifting-other?tu=kpg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.