(Topic ID: 164959)

Is your Stern ghosting / crazing / insert lifting / other ?

By flashinstinct

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 724 posts
  • 197 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Who-Dey
  • Topic is favorited by 29 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“I own a GB, GOT, SMVE, Other”

• My SMVE playfield has issues 47 votes
    12%
  • My GOT playfield has issues 56 votes
    15%
  • My GB playfield has issues 126 votes
    33%
  • My SMVE playfield has no issues 20 votes
    5%
  • My GOT playfield has no issues 61 votes
    16%
  • My GB playfield has no issues 73 votes
    19%

(Multiple choice - 383 votes by 295 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

got2 (resized).jpg
got (resized).jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
got1 1 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170817-003356 (resized).png
Screenshot_20170816-191046 (resized).png
Screenshot_20170816-191229 (resized).png
Screenshot_20170816-190921 (resized).png
20891245_10214168576867555_1762156284_n (resized).jpg
20864577_10214168576307541_479756045_n (1) (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chambahz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#571 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I am still waiting on my replacement playfield.. havent heard of anyone getting theirs yet. I'd love to see how they know its resolved.

Whether Stern has replaced your playfield or not, is not an indication of whether they have solved the problem.

Rumour has it, the issue has been resolved.
We are still waiting to see any issues from recently (early September?) builds.
So still unproven either way at this point.

#573 7 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

People have been saying that the issue has been resolved since July. At least once a week, someone has claimed resolution. Everyone has been wrong, so far...

That's news to me. Can you share a link and/or backup your claim?
Either way, various people on Pinside who consistently seem to be in the know have stated that the problem was resolved in early Sept if I'm not mistaken.

#576 7 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Anyone who has been reading the ghosting threads on pinside has seen the constant false claims of resolution. Like clockwork.

Very well supported!

At any rate, word is that the play fields manufactured in the past couple weeks are fine.
So we're waiting to see either good or bad. The Premium GBs that have recently shipped may provide more evidence. They seem to be shipping currently so it should be easy enough to prove in the next few days.

#582 7 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

At any rate, people have been saying this since July.
What was that recent post about Stern schills being willfully obtuse...

Find me a play field from Sept 12 onward with the same issues and I'll donate $50 to Pinside.

Are you willing to match that wager, in the event that the issue actually IS resolved?

#592 7 years ago

It appears as though the problems have been resolved -but there's nothing wrong with waiting if you're still a little nervous.
Some will say that we need weeks/months to confirm if the new play fields are in fact problem-free.
So it's your call to make. I was told my NIB Premium will arrive "some time in October". I hope that means Saturday but I expect it will be a few weeks. Either way, I'm grabbing mine the moment it arrives.

#600 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

My update is that I am waiting to hear from Trent as to when Stern has my new PF ready to ship to me so I can send mine back.
But to update the condition of my playfield, I have several more ghosting inserts and a couple inserts are cracking and separating from the playfield at this point. I hope they fix these problems before they ship those $15,000 games to Batman Super LE buyers !

Playfield problems are fixed. Stern just needs to sort out guys like you who got the dud play fields.

#603 7 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Can you post evidence of this or, and I mean this in the best possible taste, STFU
Neil

You've been keeping up with my posts in the other thread, but for others, the GB Premiums that have been received in the USA have been fine. Zero reports with ghosting inserts or playfield problems. Of course, it's possible that issues may develop after another month, but many of the previous buyers have found at least a few problems right out of the box, or shortly thereafter.

CaptainNeo stated that he spoke with someone at Stern (though he did not use anyone's name), and said that the playfield issues have been resolved.

A very recent post in the other thread says that a couple Premiums in Europe have seen some ghosting inserts, but so far this is unconfirmed (though I expect this may be accurate). If this is the case, they are likely the last ones produced using the faulty system/design/whatever. They were produced before the recent USA Premiums were, so that's not entirely shocking.

Just to make this super clear to everyone: this is my opinion. Unconfirmed by Stern (unless CaptainNeo cares to provide further evidence) but appears at this time that the ghosting issues/chipping play fields are behind us.

Feel free to post any evidence otherwise. Since I have a Premium on order, I'd rather find issues now before picking it up but I expect that we've seen the last of the problems.

Flame suit on.
: )

1 week later
#631 7 years ago
Quoted from Junglist:

Has any one found they have slight ghosting and it never gets any worse? I have what looks like a sliver of it on one insert and a bit of chipping in the drain. Would this be normal? Or is it just going to get worse and worse? I've put 1600 plays on it and had it since July. It's definitely not like some of the other examples on pinside.
I'm just concerned it will get worse later and be told I'm not eligible for any fix because it's too late/had it too long etc. Any advice is appreciated.
This is a GB pro

My opinion is that you have to protect your investment. Convey your concern to your distributor and see if they'll get you into the playfield replacement program. You shouldn't have to put up with a chipped playfield even if it never gets worse in my opinion.

1 year later
#696 6 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Apparently not. Response from Stern is that "its perfectly normal, and not a problem"
Well it is for me, Gotg order canceled, no more new Sterns for me.

I'd be interested to see what your playfield looks like.
Got any pics?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 103.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pittsford, NY
$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Machine - For Sale
Advance, NC
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chambahz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-your-stern-ghosting-grazing-insert-lifting-other?tu=chambahz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.