(Topic ID: 164959)

Is your Stern ghosting / crazing / insert lifting / other ?

By flashinstinct

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 724 posts
  • 197 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Who-Dey
  • Topic is favorited by 29 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“I own a GB, GOT, SMVE, Other”

• My SMVE playfield has issues 47 votes
    12%
  • My GOT playfield has issues 56 votes
    15%
  • My GB playfield has issues 126 votes
    33%
  • My SMVE playfield has no issues 20 votes
    5%
  • My GOT playfield has no issues 61 votes
    16%
  • My GB playfield has no issues 73 votes
    19%

(Multiple choice - 383 votes by 295 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

got2 (resized).jpg
got (resized).jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
got1 1 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170817-003356 (resized).png
Screenshot_20170816-191046 (resized).png
Screenshot_20170816-191229 (resized).png
Screenshot_20170816-190921 (resized).png
20891245_10214168576867555_1762156284_n (resized).jpg
20864577_10214168576307541_479756045_n (1) (resized).jpg
There are 719 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 15.
#601 7 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Playfield problems are fixed. Stern just needs to sort out guys like you who got the dud play fields.

How do you know they are fixed?

#602 7 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Playfield problems are fixed. Stern just needs to sort out guys like you who got the dud play fields.

Can you post evidence of this or, and I mean this in the best possible taste, STFU

Neil

#603 7 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Can you post evidence of this or, and I mean this in the best possible taste, STFU
Neil

You've been keeping up with my posts in the other thread, but for others, the GB Premiums that have been received in the USA have been fine. Zero reports with ghosting inserts or playfield problems. Of course, it's possible that issues may develop after another month, but many of the previous buyers have found at least a few problems right out of the box, or shortly thereafter.

CaptainNeo stated that he spoke with someone at Stern (though he did not use anyone's name), and said that the playfield issues have been resolved.

A very recent post in the other thread says that a couple Premiums in Europe have seen some ghosting inserts, but so far this is unconfirmed (though I expect this may be accurate). If this is the case, they are likely the last ones produced using the faulty system/design/whatever. They were produced before the recent USA Premiums were, so that's not entirely shocking.

Just to make this super clear to everyone: this is my opinion. Unconfirmed by Stern (unless CaptainNeo cares to provide further evidence) but appears at this time that the ghosting issues/chipping play fields are behind us.

Feel free to post any evidence otherwise. Since I have a Premium on order, I'd rather find issues now before picking it up but I expect that we've seen the last of the problems.

Flame suit on.
: )

#604 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

You missed the part where Gary threw a wobbly over whysnow not staying quiet about all their shit, and briefing against him and having him removed from any promotional opportunities.
So I doubt it.

It seems like I am missing a huge part of the story here. But on the other hand it probably is none of my business...

#605 7 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

It seems like I am missing a huge part of the story here. But on the other hand it probably is none of my business...

Gary personally denied WhySnow admission into the Stern Army, so KPG suggesting that WhySnow reach out to Gary directly probably isn't gonna help.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-army?tu=whysnow

#606 7 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Gary personally denied WhySnow admission into the Stern Army, so KPG suggesting that WhySnow reach out to Gary directly probably isn't gonna help.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-army?tu=whysnow

Honestly, regardless of the whole Stern Army thing, I bet Gary would be fine with helping him out and fixing any manufacturer defective parts and play fields.

After talking to Gary I felt he really did care about taking care of those of us affected and I don't think he will leave anyone hanging with a pile of crap playfield. This is after talking to him of course, and it's my opinion- but he seemed sincere and I have no reason to think he won't honor his word. I don't seem why reaching out to him wouldn't work, especially since he's a pretty big operator and owns a lot of Stern machines.

Truth is it's going to probably take them another month or two to get these new playfields built to send to us, so being patient is key. Meanwhile, my playfield is breaking down like a Chinese motorcycle.. but it's all good because it's a fun game, and equally as fun watching pieces of playfield fly all over the place LOL

#607 7 years ago

I'm getting chipping and clear lifting. Chipping behind the Scoleri targets and lifting at the outhole. 20161003_214556 (resized).jpg20161003_214556 (resized).jpg

20161003_214508 (resized).jpg20161003_214508 (resized).jpg

#608 7 years ago

looks like we need a Cliffy

#609 7 years ago

Gotta love Cliffy's I hope to buy some of his future Ghostbusters protectors for my premium

#610 7 years ago

Will the Cliffy star trek protector work?

BillD-Drop01 (resized).jpgBillD-Drop01 (resized).jpg

#611 7 years ago

well, it would surelly be OK to protect the playfield...

but for sure you will have "gameplay" probs with balls diverted (there on the ST its just not a prob as its falling perfectly right down)

the only solution seems to raise the target by very (very) small margin, until its perfectly "flat"

#612 7 years ago

The Green Goblin insert is the only one I have on SMVE that is ghosting there is about 400 plays.

Is there criteria to say if a playfield is defective or not as it may get worse? or is it all a case by case scenario?

#613 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I'm getting chipping and clear lifting. Chipping behind the Scoleri targets and lifting at the outhole.

playfield date?

#614 7 years ago

Looks like Stern has announced their 'fix' for ghosting playfields

They have partnered with Cliffy to offer a FULL playfield cliffy mod! No more ghosting!

GhostingCliffy (resized).jpgGhostingCliffy (resized).jpg

#615 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Looks like Stern has announced their 'fix' for ghosting playfields
They have partnered with Cliffy to offer a FULL playfield cliffy mod! No more ghosting!

Bet it will play fast!

#616 7 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

playfield date?

June 20th. I have four ghosted inserts, a nicked shooter lane, lifting clear at the outhole, chips in the clear behind the Scoleri targets, and I have a gouge in my cabinet (not really noticeable). I also had TONS of out of the box issues. There's no way that my game was play tested before shipping.

This is my 3rd NIB game, but my first preorder. I'm open to future NIB games if issues get fully sorted, but I'm never going to preorder again. Stern lost my faith.

#617 7 years ago

Same here, first NIB, never again. To me it's just not worth it. I like pinball and hunt down a great machine, play it, test it and buy it. This NIB and all the issues, just not worth it....not my part of the hobby.

#618 7 years ago

I suspect I will buy more NIBs but I will not buy any game until I am confident in it. I'm not touching any stern for a while to make sure the PFs are fixed and that they stand up to play. It is nuts that people are putting mylar on a shooter lane of a HUO pin to protect it. If that is the new normal I am done for sure!

There is too much hype around each release and everyone is going nuts so a bit of time is needed for the hype to settle down so you can see things more clearly. I seriously wonder how many fake accounts there are on pinside of people that are working for a manufacturer or distributor adding fuel to the release hype fire.

#619 7 years ago

I heard that the GB prem.at york was bad from a reliable person, ghosting, slimer broke, magna sling not working. Was told this was from a recent run but not positive.

#620 7 years ago
Quoted from clg:

I seriously wonder how many fake accounts there are on pinside of people that are working for a manufacturer or distributor adding fuel to the release hype fire.

Shhh!

#621 7 years ago

I have a pro ghosting is pretty bad

IMG_6508 (resized).JPGIMG_6508 (resized).JPG

#622 7 years ago

And I have a pro with no ghosting so far.

27714337153_a857064e48_o (resized).jpg27714337153_a857064e48_o (resized).jpg

#623 7 years ago
Quoted from Delta9:

I have a pro ghosting is pretty bad

Quoted from Meph:

And I have a pro with no ghosting so far.

Any indication on the PF itself? Could be a different batch?

#624 7 years ago

Playfield stamped June 14, 2016. #1164/1235 is the batch.

28230698394_82e9fe72a2_o (resized).jpg28230698394_82e9fe72a2_o (resized).jpg28542428454_6e6241f822_o (resized).jpg28542428454_6e6241f822_o (resized).jpg

#625 7 years ago

If you're not the original owner and you have insert ghosting can you still appeal to Stern/distro?

#626 7 years ago
Quoted from Sleaterkiss:

If you're not the original owner and you have insert ghosting can you still appeal to Stern/distro?

From what I heard no....... I dont think its going to matter as I havn't heard of an original owner getting one either.

#627 7 years ago

Gary Stern said they would sort out all the issues at his talk at Expo.

#628 7 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Gary Stern said they would sort out all the issues at his talk at Expo.

What does sorting out the issues mean? Stern can't possibly be giving out new playfields to everyone.

#629 7 years ago

Video of Gary speaking about playfield issues (skip to 7 minute mark if it doesn't do it automatically):

Thanks to NeilMcRae for uploading!

#630 7 years ago

Has any one found they have slight ghosting and it never gets any worse? I have what looks like a sliver of it on one insert and a bit of chipping in the drain. Would this be normal? Or is it just going to get worse and worse? I've put 1600 plays on it and had it since July. It's definitely not like some of the other examples on pinside.

I'm just concerned it will get worse later and be told I'm not eligible for any fix because it's too late/had it too long etc. Any advice is appreciated.

This is a GB pro

#631 7 years ago
Quoted from Junglist:

Has any one found they have slight ghosting and it never gets any worse? I have what looks like a sliver of it on one insert and a bit of chipping in the drain. Would this be normal? Or is it just going to get worse and worse? I've put 1600 plays on it and had it since July. It's definitely not like some of the other examples on pinside.
I'm just concerned it will get worse later and be told I'm not eligible for any fix because it's too late/had it too long etc. Any advice is appreciated.
This is a GB pro

My opinion is that you have to protect your investment. Convey your concern to your distributor and see if they'll get you into the playfield replacement program. You shouldn't have to put up with a chipped playfield even if it never gets worse in my opinion.

#632 7 years ago

What about crazing ? Looks like shit on a new playfeild will stern replace playfeild or give us the middle finger

#633 7 years ago
Quoted from PinB:

Video of Gary speaking about playfield issues (skip to 7 minute mark if it doesn't do it automatically):
» YouTube video
Thanks to NeilMcRae for uploading!

Has anyone else noticed that he says they have changed their process a little bit (7:48) and then goes on to say they have been doing the same thing for 30 years and nothing has changed? Which one is it?

#634 7 years ago
Quoted from Rokablly:

Has anyone else noticed that he says they have changed their process a little bit (7:48) and then goes on to say they have been doing the same thing for 30 years and nothing has changed? Which one is it?

He said they changed their process a bit, but that it WAS the same process that they and Williams had in place for 30 years. So he is saying they didn't do anything different than normal and ghosting happened, so they are tweaking that process a bit.

#635 7 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

He said they changed their process a bit, but that it WAS the same process that they and Williams had in place for 30 years. So he is saying they didn't do anything different than normal and ghosting happened, so they are tweaking that process a bit.

Thanks for clarifying. Guess the way he said it made it confusing to me.

#636 7 years ago

I didn't like his answer, sounded like a politician. We didn't change anything, and we looked at machines and everything is great. We are going to fix the issue that I just pretended didn't exist.

1 month later
#637 7 years ago

Ironman purchased in June, less than 500 plays on it, eek

IMG_3923.JPGIMG_3923.JPG

IMG_3922.JPGIMG_3922.JPG

IMG_3921.JPGIMG_3921.JPG

#638 7 years ago

yep, you have a bad play field. Any insert lifting?

#639 7 years ago
Quoted from Junglist:

I'm just concerned it will get worse later and be told I'm not eligible for any fix because it's too late/

because its too late? thats not your fault... your at the mercy of their "scheduled program replacement timeframes"

keep the faith man, it will get sorted.

6 months later
#640 6 years ago

I had posted before that my Spider-Man VE had ghosting inserts and some chipping. It seemed that every few weeks or so I would notice more. So, I contacted my distributor and he got back to me saying I was on the list for a replacement.

I'm happy to say that my new playfield is in, and the game is playing and looking great. Thanks to Chas and Dave at Stern, they took care of me. Also, a big thanks to Mike at Great American Pinball! He has always been customer focused and good to deal with.

1 month later
#641 6 years ago

Stern has responded and put the OP's question to bed - is your Stern ghosting / crazing / inserts lifting / other? Stern's answer ... if so, chillax and remain calm. Problem, what problem? Those are normal product wear and tear. It is to be expected. Sheesh. Nothing here to see, move along.

#642 6 years ago

Bought my first ever NIB Stern Aerosmith.
I really like the game but I am very dissapointed with the playfield.
Many of the larger triangular inserts are crazed like the one in the attached photo.

IMG_3212 (resized).JPGIMG_3212 (resized).JPG

IMG_3231 (resized).JPGIMG_3231 (resized).JPG

#643 6 years ago
Quoted from Fast-Ed:

Ghost busters will probably have ghosting. Lol

good one

#644 6 years ago
Quoted from c_mario:

Many of the larger triangular inserts are crazed like the one in the attached photo.

I don't mind crazing too much as I think the clear has good " bite " on them

My TWD Prem has the same thing

#645 6 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

I don't mind crazing too much as I think the clear has good " bite " on them
My TWD Prem has the same thing

Same here. Crazing doesn't bother me at all. I don't put that in the same category as chipping or ghosting at all.

#646 6 years ago
Quoted from c_mario:

Our ASLE and GBLE both have some crazing. No issue with us either!

#647 6 years ago

While crazing is more of a esthetic issue just wondering.... why..... if it wasn't happening to Stern for more than a decade, why is it happening now and why should it be considered normal? This is just Stern shoving new standards down your throat and most people are more than happy to swallow.

#648 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

While crazing is more of a esthetic issue just wondering.... why..... if it wasn't happening to Stern for more than a decade, why is it happening now and why should it be considered normal? This is just Stern shoving new standards down your throat and most people are more than happy to swallow.

What we need here is a solution. Every manufacturer has the same issues.

#649 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

What we need here is a solution. Every manufacturer has the same issues.

What other manufacturer bluntly says that ghosting is normal......?

#650 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

What other manufacturer bluntly says that ghosting is normal......?

Did you read what I said? What we need here is a solution and every manufacturer has the same issues. Lets see how the other manufacturers will handle the same issue. I do not have a crystal ball to see in to the future. What I do know is that ghosting is here to stay from every manufacturer. Am I going to let ghosting stop me from enjoying pinball.... No.

Stern have been pro active in protecting themselves by putting this in their warranty. If you do not like it do not buy a machine from them.. Why all the whining and complaining? The whining and complaining is not good for our much loved pinball.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Machine - For Sale
Advance, NC
Machine - For Sale
Fresno, CA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 49.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pittsford, NY
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 719 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-your-stern-ghosting-grazing-insert-lifting-other/page/13?hl=nowakster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.