(Topic ID: 164959)

Is your Stern ghosting / crazing / insert lifting / other ?

By flashinstinct

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 724 posts
  • 197 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Who-Dey
  • Topic is favorited by 29 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“I own a GB, GOT, SMVE, Other”

• My SMVE playfield has issues 47 votes
    12%
  • My GOT playfield has issues 56 votes
    15%
  • My GB playfield has issues 126 votes
    33%
  • My SMVE playfield has no issues 20 votes
    5%
  • My GOT playfield has no issues 61 votes
    16%
  • My GB playfield has no issues 73 votes
    19%

(Multiple choice - 383 votes by 295 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

got2 (resized).jpg
got (resized).jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
got1 1 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170817-003356 (resized).png
Screenshot_20170816-191046 (resized).png
Screenshot_20170816-191229 (resized).png
Screenshot_20170816-190921 (resized).png
20891245_10214168576867555_1762156284_n (resized).jpg
20864577_10214168576307541_479756045_n (1) (resized).jpg
There are 719 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 15.
#551 7 years ago

Can't you just blast some clear epoxy under the insert to cure it forever? Anyone tried it?

#552 7 years ago

Hello all,
I have a smve showing some insert issues,Not the worst not great either but present nonetheless.I previously worked for an industrial window and door company and ended up working on wood/density/humidity issues that they had on their product.It is a very critical thing to monitor the humidity of the wood at the time it is machined and as it continues through the assembly.I would be curious to know if stern thinks the wood or the plastic inserts are the main problem.On mine it looks like a pressure crack on the insert either caused from expanding wood or too tight of tolerances when pressed in.Hoping mine doesn't develop anymore,2 and counting!

#553 7 years ago

I've got these weird little "dimples" is this normal?...........

#554 7 years ago
Quoted from misfitdart:

I've got these weird little "dimples" is this normal?...........

If it's like this, pretty sure it's genetic. But they can cool-sculpt them now.

dimply-2 (resized).jpgdimply-2 (resized).jpg

#556 7 years ago

Not good!

#557 7 years ago

WTF....
Pro , LE , Premium? ??

#559 7 years ago

They might sell a few playfield protector sheets on GB

#560 7 years ago

SMVE with 6 inserts ghosting. Venom, Green Goblin, Battle Royale, Green with Envy, Fire Fighting, and 1 spider.

Playfield manufactured 4/16. Contacted distributor months ago.

"I spoke to Stern again yesterday to get an update, and again they don't have any solid answers. They are still working on the process and will be contacting our sales department in the near future."

Most recent reply from distributor. Still waiting. I have little faith this is going to be addressed in an appropriate manner. Done buying Stern games.

#562 7 years ago
Quoted from cmv040:

So mine is the same spot but larger and that corner is recessed. I also noticed that there are little dents (round) probably where air balls smack the field. Just seems that the clear is softer than it should be and that corner/insert is probably something they need to figure out. Clearly it won't fair well if I have ~30 plays and it's happening. Talked to stern about it?

Mine showed up around ~90 plays. Let my distributor know. Have complete faith he'll make sure I'm taken care of. Regardless it's a bummer.

#563 7 years ago

You have to laugh that after all this, they release a "special" Batman model for $15,000.

I mean, what have they shown so far that gives confidence they have doubled the quality of the product since they are doubling the price?

#564 7 years ago

people are posting on facebook that this issue is resolved.

Can anyone on pinside confirm this issue has been cleared up?

#565 7 years ago
Quoted from scott_freeman:

people are posting on facebook that this issue is resolved.
Can anyone on pinside confirm this issue has been cleared up?

I am still waiting on my replacement playfield.. havent heard of anyone getting theirs yet. I'd love to see how they know its resolved.

#566 7 years ago

Last playfield date I remember as being fubar was Aug 26. There must have been some bad ones in September, right? Bueller? Bueller? Pro above is on location so hard to know what the playfield stamp reads.

#567 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I am still waiting on my replacement playfield.. havent heard of anyone getting theirs yet. I'd love to see how they know its resolved.

I was still told "keep taking photos and I will let you know after things get worked out with GBLE owners on the beta run of the 'program'" VERY sad to see you have not been taken care of yet.

Have ANY GB owners (LE or Pro) been taken care of?

#568 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I was still told "keep taking photos and I will let you know after things get worked out with GBLE owners on the beta run of the 'program'" VERY sad to see you have not been taken care of yet.
Have ANY GB owners (LE or Pro) been taken care of?

I was originally told October.. I am just waiting for Trent @ Tilt to contact me and tell me the replacement playfield is ready so I can ship back the existing one to them to get a new one. If it goes past October, then I will probably be a bit pissed off..

#569 7 years ago

I was told JT sprained his wrist, so can't sign any playfields

#570 7 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

I was told JT sprained his wrist, so can't sign any playfields

I'm kinda surprised JT didn't sign it between the flippers. There's a TON of room there.

#571 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Whether Stern has replaced your playfield or not, is not an indication of whether they have solved the problem.

Rumour has it, the issue has been resolved.
We are still waiting to see any issues from recently (early September?) builds.
So still unproven either way at this point.

#572 7 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Whether Stern has replaced your playfield or not, is not an indication of whether they have solved the problem.
Rumour has it, the issue has been resolved.
We are still waiting to see any issues from recently (early September?) builds.
So still unproven either way at this point.

People have been saying that the issue has been resolved since July. At least once a week, someone has claimed resolution. Everyone has been wrong, so far...

#573 7 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

People have been saying that the issue has been resolved since July. At least once a week, someone has claimed resolution. Everyone has been wrong, so far...

That's news to me. Can you share a link and/or backup your claim?
Either way, various people on Pinside who consistently seem to be in the know have stated that the problem was resolved in early Sept if I'm not mistaken.

#574 7 years ago

The problem encompasses fixing affected playfields. Until that happens, there's still a problem.

#575 7 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

That's news to me. Can you share a link and/or backup your claim?
Either way, various people on Pinside who consistently seem to be in the know have stated that the problem was resolved in early Sept if I'm not mistaken.

Anyone who has been reading the ghosting threads on pinside has seen the constant false claims of resolution. Like clockwork.

#576 7 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Anyone who has been reading the ghosting threads on pinside has seen the constant false claims of resolution. Like clockwork.

Very well supported!

At any rate, word is that the play fields manufactured in the past couple weeks are fine.
So we're waiting to see either good or bad. The Premium GBs that have recently shipped may provide more evidence. They seem to be shipping currently so it should be easy enough to prove in the next few days.

#577 7 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Very well supported!
At any rate, word is that the play fields manufactured in the past couple weeks are fine.
So we're waiting to see either good or bad. The Premium GBs that have recently shipped may provide more evidence. They seem to be shipping currently so it should be easy enough to prove in the next few days.

We were at Pinfest over the last week end and there was Ghostbusters pro and premium there. Both flown in for the event. Both playfields looked fantastic. No issues what so ever and both machines did not stop for 2 days. We are confident that Stern are over their playfield issues.

#578 7 years ago

Im going to give it a few months before I lay my cash down again on NIB.

#579 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Both playfields looked fantastic.

worth mention that our GBpro, SMVE, and GotPrem also looked fantastic out of the box. A few months later and all 3 have ghosting inserts that continue to get worse.

#580 7 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

At any rate, people have been saying this since July.

What was that recent post about Stern schills being willfully obtuse...

#581 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

worth mention that our GBpro, SMVE, and GotPrem also looked fantastic out of the box. A few months later and all 3 have ghosting inserts that continue to get worse.

update and a WTF!

I stop out over lunch to wipe down our games once each week. Today I am at our eastside location and could not believe my eyes... Fing KISS has ghosting also! The main lock insert is ghosting down the entire side. Seriously, WTF!!!!!!!!!!

That makes 4 games and over 20k in Stern games we now own with pf issues.

#582 7 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

At any rate, people have been saying this since July.
What was that recent post about Stern schills being willfully obtuse...

Find me a play field from Sept 12 onward with the same issues and I'll donate $50 to Pinside.

Are you willing to match that wager, in the event that the issue actually IS resolved?

#583 7 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Find me a play field from Sept 12 onward with the same issues and I'll donate $50 to Pinside.
Are you willing to match that wager, in the event that the issue actually IS resolved?

Going to need a few more weeks on that

#584 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

update and a WTF!
I stop out over lunch to wipe down our games once each week. Today I am at our eastside location and could not believe my eyes... Fing KISS has ghosting also! The main lock insert is ghosting down the entire side. Seriously, WTF!!!!!!!!!!

Holy crap dude! Sorry to hear this... Hit up your distributor, Patrick Powers, and email Gary Stern himself and I bet they will work with you on this.

#585 7 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

I'm not saying it isn't resolved... it might be. I'm saying that people have been falsely claiming resolution since July. Mainly people who make money off of Stern, I.E. distros. That is why it rubs people the wrong way. The proof is in the lack of new complaints on pinside, time will tell.

#586 7 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

so stamped/made after sep 12th or delivered after that date?

Neil.

#587 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I was originally told October.. I am just waiting for Trent @ Tilt to contact me and tell me the replacement playfield is ready so I can ship back the existing one to them to get a new one. If it goes past October, then I will probably be a bit pissed off..

based on progress so far I'd be surprised if it was done by October, would love to be wrong.

#588 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Same here. Sad part is everyone that is stating they do not have the ghosting issues on the games that have these issues (SMVE, GOT, GB) currently haven't played their games enough to cause the inserts to ghost. They WILL ghost.

Quoted from Whysnow:

update and a WTF!

This was the first Stern and same insert that I noticed this issue on. Reported to Stern and received the response I have gotten on all of them I have sent. "Thanks"

#589 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Holy crap dude! Sorry to hear this... Hit up your distributor, Patrick Powers, and email Gary Stern himself and I bet they will work with you on this.

You missed the part where Gary threw a wobbly over whysnow not staying quiet about all their shit, and briefing against him and having him removed from any promotional opportunities.

So I doubt it.

#590 7 years ago

I posted this in Hey Stern are you serious? as well.

I just got the email saying my GB Premium is being shipped to my distributor today and payment is due (only the deposit was paid). What is the consensus, is it safe, do I pull the trigger or is it not safe and I should cancel?

UPDATE:
My distributor has offered to keep me on the wait list till the next batch and then we'll evaluate the situation then. I am good with that because "I will" be getting one but one without play field issues (hopefully) no matter how long I have to wait.

#591 7 years ago
Quoted from Rokablly:

I just got the email saying my GB Premium is being shipped to my distributor today and payment is due (only the deposit was paid). What is the consensus, is it safe, do I pull the trigger or is it not safe and I should cancel?
UPDATE:
My distributor has offered to keep me on the wait list till the next batch and then we'll evaluate the situation then. I am good with that because "I will" be getting one but one without play field issues (hopefully) no matter how long I have to wait.

I'm in the same situation as you. Deposit paid but i told distributor to hold off and contact me later in the Fall when quality issues are hopefully corrected. They didn't mind at all and basically said "let us know when you're ready".

#592 7 years ago

It appears as though the problems have been resolved -but there's nothing wrong with waiting if you're still a little nervous.
Some will say that we need weeks/months to confirm if the new play fields are in fact problem-free.
So it's your call to make. I was told my NIB Premium will arrive "some time in October". I hope that means Saturday but I expect it will be a few weeks. Either way, I'm grabbing mine the moment it arrives.

#593 7 years ago

My ghosting took a couple of weeks to start. Until playfields are good for a couple of months after delivery on a consistent basis, I would be wary.

#594 7 years ago

ST:Pro - arrived June 2016 (mfg in June) and with 177 plays, noticed the clear coat is all chipping away by the ball trough.

#595 7 years ago
Quoted from mittens:

ST:Pro - arrived June 2016 (mfg in June) and with 177 plays, noticed the clear coat is all chipping away by the ball trough.

I think that's going to happen on the vast majority of these games, just a question of when .. the wood is so rough and the streaks of sapwood in the shooter lane that I've seen in most look way too dark and soft to be being used for this kind of thing.

#596 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

I think that's going to happen on the vast majority of these games, just a question of when .. the wood is so rough and the streaks of sapwood in the shooter lane that I've seen in most look way too dark and soft to be being used for this kind of thing.

My metallica, mustang and sopranos zero shooter lane chipping, my GB LE lots and way less plays. Only major difference I see is the clear is way thinner on my older sterns and it's not chipping.

#597 7 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

My metallica, mustang and sopranos zero shooter lane chipping, my GB LE lots and way less plays. Only major difference I see is the clear is way thinner on my older sterns and it's not chipping.

if it's not apparent in the shooter lane, look at the side of the pf or underneath ...

there's still some conflicting information, but some claim (still) that there are 2 pf suppliers. pretty sure churchill have been phased out entirely by now though. all the ones i've seen have soft, rough looking wood ... your one might 'just' have poorly applied / cured clear.

#598 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

whats the update on your situation ?

#599 7 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

whats the update on your situation ?

My update is that I am waiting to hear from Trent as to when Stern has my new PF ready to ship to me so I can send mine back.

But to update the condition of my playfield, I have several more ghosting inserts and a couple inserts are cracking and separating from the playfield at this point. I hope they fix these problems before they ship those $15,000 games to Batman Super LE buyers !

#600 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

My update is that I am waiting to hear from Trent as to when Stern has my new PF ready to ship to me so I can send mine back.
But to update the condition of my playfield, I have several more ghosting inserts and a couple inserts are cracking and separating from the playfield at this point. I hope they fix these problems before they ship those $15,000 games to Batman Super LE buyers !

Playfield problems are fixed. Stern just needs to sort out guys like you who got the dud play fields.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Machine - For Sale
Rockland, ON
6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 49.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

There are 719 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-your-stern-ghosting-grazing-insert-lifting-other/page/12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.