(Topic ID: 164959)

Is your Stern ghosting / crazing / insert lifting / other ?

By flashinstinct

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 724 posts
  • 197 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Who-Dey
  • Topic is favorited by 29 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“I own a GB, GOT, SMVE, Other”

• My SMVE playfield has issues 47 votes
    12%
  • My GOT playfield has issues 56 votes
    15%
  • My GB playfield has issues 126 votes
    33%
  • My SMVE playfield has no issues 20 votes
    5%
  • My GOT playfield has no issues 61 votes
    16%
  • My GB playfield has no issues 73 votes
    19%

(Multiple choice - 383 votes by 295 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

got2 (resized).jpg
got (resized).jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
got1 1 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170817-003356 (resized).png
Screenshot_20170816-191046 (resized).png
Screenshot_20170816-191229 (resized).png
Screenshot_20170816-190921 (resized).png
20891245_10214168576867555_1762156284_n (resized).jpg
20864577_10214168576307541_479756045_n (1) (resized).jpg
There are 719 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 15.
#451 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

playfield & manufacture dates?

Playfield june 20.
June 27 build date

#452 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Gotcha, my bad. Weird how that Tobin insert seems to be giving a lot of people problems. Same thing happened to me right after playing the first dozen or so games.
Because its so tiny?

I suspect its a common place that airballs land and some playfields have an issue with how well the inserts are glued in.

#453 7 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I suspect its a common place that airballs land and some playfields have an issue with how well the inserts are glued in.

Bingo, likely the spot where ball lands from the scoop.

#454 7 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

Bingo, likely the spot where ball lands from the scoop.

True, but the balls land all over the place on this pin. Violent air balls. I'll look closely at the scoop eject landing. Had to power it down a bit as it was going sdtm.

Hmmm, after powering down maybe its not hammering Tobin anymore, still has the other one right next to it.

#455 7 years ago

Would adding additional adhesive on a NIB game stop these inserts from doing this or will it happen anyway.

#456 7 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Would adding additional adhesive on a NIB game stop these inserts from doing this or will it happen anyway.

It will happen anyway..the inserts are not moving, the clear is not adhering properly.

#457 7 years ago

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#458 7 years ago

146 plays.

#459 7 years ago

It's interesting, my playfield is dated 7/25, doesn't have a printed sticker nor a stamped date, just a hand written date on the edge. Different manufactures? Yours looks like what I am used to with the sticker and stamped date, I've never seen one like mine. I think yours came from CGC/Churchhill and maybe mine is in-house stern? FYI I've had mine 2 weeks and 300+ plays other than a lot of dimples (which is pretty normal) the playfield is perfect so far.

#460 7 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

It will happen anyway..the inserts are not moving, the clear is not adhering properly.

My worst ghosted insert is definitely sunken down in some right at the ghosting area.. You can see and feel it. Rest of my inserts dont feel like it.

#461 7 years ago

if you've found a difference in the play fields and it turns out the Stern in house ones are good I hope Stern gets that other manufacturer to cover the costs of the replacement program. That would help the process for sure if they didn't have to lay out more dollars.

#462 7 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Current polls values
GB with playfield issues 55.5%
SMVE with playfield issues 68.75%
GOT with playfield issues 38.71%
Want more accuracy in this poll....then vote. While I get that this poll is conducted on a pinball fanatics' forum..these numbers are worrisome.

If you want accuracy, do not conduct an Internet poll.

#467 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

If you want accuracy, do not conduct an Internet poll.

O.K. Everyone with ghosted inserts raise your hand!

#468 7 years ago

who here has little holes in front of the flippers i have seen it in some pictures and not sure why they are there?

#469 7 years ago
Quoted from Flato:

who here has little holes in front of the flippers i have seen it in some pictures and not sure why they are there?

Those holes are supposed to be there to align your flipper bats. The tip should point directly at the hole.

#470 7 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

My worst ghosted insert is definitely sunken down in some right at the ghosting area.. You can see and feel it. Rest of my inserts dont feel like it.

Put a straight edge (ruler) across the playfield insert and post a picture of that.

Rob

#471 7 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Those holes are supposed to be there to align your flipper bats. The tip should point directly at the hole.

Usually the holes are behind the flipper tips, but with that gap...

Rob

#472 7 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Put a straight edge (ruler) across the playfield insert and post a picture of that.
Rob

sorry best i can do. its hard to take a picture at that angle and see anything i tryed a bunch of different ways. when you run your finger over it you can definitely feel it and in person can see it. It didnt drop alot but it did drop. Ive had my table since May 5.

20160822_220546 (resized).jpg20160822_220546 (resized).jpg

#473 7 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

sorry best i can do. its hard to take a picture at that angle and see anything i tryed a bunch of different ways. when you run your finger over it you can definitely feel it and in person can see it. It didnt drop alot but it did drop. Ive had my table since May 5.

Dimples? Massive dimples from the massive air balls

#474 7 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

I think that picture does a very good job of showing that the insert dropped. Thanks for sharing.

Rob

#475 7 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

A lot of the inserts seem to be spot glued only, they are not well supported and could be flexing.

#476 7 years ago

Has anybody started reinforcing their inserts with glue in an attempt to stop this from happening?

#477 7 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

Has anybody started reinforcing their inserts with glue in an attempt to stop this from happening?

That might void your warranty - although current warranty has more holes than a block of swiss cheese. Would injecting glue from bottom side of playfield potentially cause a problem being considered for the secret playfield swap program? I would hate for this altering of playfield, in attempt to prevent further damage, from being an excuse used by Stern to not replace. Most likely, that would not come up and this concern would not be an issue.

As Stern has yet to publically acknowledge the problem nor mention the playfield swap program, who knows what can/will happen? A simple 3-step plan is needed. The first step is restoring customer confidence by acknowledging the playfield issues exist and vowing to swap affected playfields in the future through a new dealer program. The second step is to issue a detailed apology to its distributers and Customers Since April 2016 - for the huge cluster fu%# they have created. Third and final step is to find a fix and to implement in their production process.

Do not underestimate the importance of the first two steps. These issues have been occurring for four months now and still no word nor apology from Stern. With large numbers of playfields affected, the resemblence to a large scale auto recall is scary.

#478 7 years ago

Great.. I'm not one for to get paranoid easily, but this is something that makes me not want to buy a GB, I was thinking about buying a used one but then I would really be screwed right? Even if they provided a fix since I bought it 2nd hand I wouldn't be covered right?

#479 7 years ago

Let me know how you are going to apply the glue.

60184-i (resized).jpg60184-i (resized).jpg

#480 7 years ago

Newer production Metallica. 10k-ish plays

mettt (resized).JPGmettt (resized).JPG

#481 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

As Stern has yet to publically acknowledge the problem nor mention the playfield swap program, who knows what can/will happen? A simple 3-step plan is needed. The first step is restoring customer confidence by acknowledging the playfield issues exist and vowing to swap affected playfields in the future through a new dealer program. The second step is to issue a detailed apology to its distributers and Customers Since April 2016 - for the huge cluster fu%# they have created. Third and final step is to find a fix and to implement in their production process.

well said.

#482 7 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

why should people even be doing this? its defective, let it be replaced.. rather than patching up botched work.

#483 7 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

Newer production Metallica. 10k-ish plays

That's a lot of plays but would not have seen it on older machines that's not even a high impact area

#484 7 years ago
Quoted from Flato:

That's a lot of plays but would not have seen it on older machines that's not even a high impact area

Caused by the ball striking the edge of the playfield. I think beveling that edge would prevent that damage

#485 7 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Caused by the ball striking the edge of the playfield. I think beveling that edge would prevent that damage

Makes sense going to mylar my area on GB now sorry for the damage but thanks for the heads up.

#486 7 years ago
Quoted from Meph:

You have it on your Extra Ball also. =(

That's what she said.

#487 7 years ago

ok, as seen the Met above (with lots of play of course), and some others GB (...), here's a simple 30 minutes job :

than, mine PF if 881 from the 1st batch

IMGP1783 (resized).JPGIMGP1783 (resized).JPG

put 3 pieces of soft (but not too thin) plastic, glued with double face (as it easy to remove if needed) right at the same PF level, except for the back part, a bit higher (not showned on pics, but already did as it on the shooterlane)

IMGP1784 (resized).JPGIMGP1784 (resized).JPG

1st mylar piece

IMGP1785 (resized).JPGIMGP1785 (resized).JPG

2nd which recover the 1st...

IMGP1786 (resized).JPGIMGP1786 (resized).JPG

and its a clean job for sure

IMGP1787 (resized).JPGIMGP1787 (resized).JPG

#488 7 years ago

Cliffy needs to make a protector for the bail drain. He would sell a ton of them. The clear on my MET started chipping after only a couple dozen plays.

#489 7 years ago

serious cliffy to the rescue!

#490 7 years ago

I get wanting to protect scoops and similar places on the playfield where wear affects artwork you see, but i dont understand these efforts to protect shooter lanes and ball drain holes under aprons. These are normal wear areas.

#491 7 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

I get wanting to protect scoops and similar places on the playfield where wear affects artwork you see, but i dont understand these efforts to protect shooter lanes and ball drain holes under aprons. These are normal wear areas.

You sure about that?

2016-08-15 20.54.41 (resized).jpg2016-08-15 20.54.41 (resized).jpg

#492 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

You sure about that?

I am not referring to defective playfields. No protector will stop your playfield from crumbling.

#493 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

You sure about that?

#494 7 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

I'm with you. A non-defective playfield should have minimal wear here. My metallica is probably close to 2k plays and looks fine. Other games ranging from sterns, wms and JJP are fine with thousands of plays. We should not have to buy extra protection to compensate for a quality problem at stern.

#495 7 years ago
Quoted from clg:

My metallica is probably close to 2k plays and looks fine.

Look closer. I wouldn't be surprised if there's chipping in the clear at the drain hole and you never ever realized it.

#496 7 years ago

Unfortunately, the poll won't let me vote twice.

Two machines each with defective playfields. SMVE with 23 inserts ghosting and playfield clear coat delamination starting. MET Pro less than 1 month old with playfield clear coat delamination.

Ongoing emails with Stern regarding SMVE. Started the process with the vendor and Stern regarding MET Pro.

2SZ_3848 (resized).jpeg2SZ_3848 (resized).jpeg

2SZ_3842 (resized).jpeg2SZ_3842 (resized).jpeg

2SZ_3846 (resized).jpeg2SZ_3846 (resized).jpeg

#497 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Look closer. I wouldn't be surprised if there's chipping in the clear at the drain hole and you never ever realized it.

I took a really close look and it is fine. It is one of the early build metallica's, pre LED. The edge has smoothed a little but the clear is fine. Nothing like what you see in these pictures. More of a soft gradual wear than clear flaking off. My Metallica is wearing like my old williams games. My ACDC is the same as is WOZ. The last two are both out on location. I gave them both a really good look just the other day because of all of this.

#498 7 years ago
Quoted from clg:

I took a really close look and it is fine. It is one of the early build metallica's, pre LED. The edge has smoothed a little but the clear is fine. Nothing like what you see in these pictures. More of a soft gradual wear than clear flaking off. My Metallica is wearing like my old williams games. My ACDC is the same as is WOZ. The last two are both out on location. I gave them both a really good look just the other day because of all of this.

I looked at mine last night and its the exactly the same, kind of a smoothed edge to it

Ahhh 'old world craftsmanship'

#499 7 years ago

On a french site a distributor? got into some details (see also post from RidleYYY - “Ghostbusters cancellations and Ghosting Financial Damage” #91 - http://www.flipjuke.fr/club-des-possesseurs-ghostbusters-t118731-800.html).

So basically they say they will contact any owner of the GB's send out. He says 5 to 6 machines are affected. they will contact the owners, make a complete file of the problems (photo's etc) and send this to Stern for review. As of October full playfield will be send to the customer for replacement, if they can do that themself. Or just piece for piece (step-by-step??). The program runs to Januari 2017 after this date al should be normal. It seems that the issues are with the playfield manufacturer, issues will be solved for now and future machines and stern will do all the fullfill customers satisfaction.

What worries me is there is nothing on what is severe, one ghosting insert? or two? A chip from the shooterlane?. Also I think they will make it right no doubt but if your playfield is good now, what if this starts ghosting in 2 months? What is a reasonnable timeframe for warranty on a playfield?

#500 7 years ago

Am I ever glad I waited to send the money in and then can celled and got my deposit back. I will never buy a Stern game again. I just spent some of my GB premium money last night on a 65 inch 4k ultra HD teli that I have been wanting. The rest will go to home improvements or getting my corvette project going.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Machine - For Sale
Rockland, ON
7,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
17,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 49.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 719 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-your-stern-ghosting-grazing-insert-lifting-other/page/10?hl=flato and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.