(Topic ID: 264687)

Is your job essential or non essential?

By Electronmagic

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is your job essential or non essential”

• Essential 171 votes
      72%
    • Non essential 67 votes
      28%

(238 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Soft-Scrambled-Eggs-Recipe (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200508-202525.png
    Screenshot_20200508-202525 (resized).png
    7BDDDA08-A291-4D42-9E0D-52DF8E72FFFB (resized).jpeg
    20200421_081911 (resized).jpg
    20200421_081643 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    7EB24E77-6CAE-47EB-9405-5020EBFF8F3F (resized).jpeg
    90866939_3084616944903711_7413392704295403520_n (resized).jpg
    2A24A0F3-04E0-4C1E-8B6A-1ED8077D4896 (resized).jpeg
    Homeless-Shopping-Cart (resized).jpg
    97B8CB24-8C23-4176-8A44-EADC349BB4A5 (resized).jpeg
    48FF3D39-19AB-4AB7-AA85-897AC98D52AE (resized).jpeg
    23CB0F01-9662-40B4-BF45-3C11289101EC (resized).jpeg
    There are 205 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
    #151 4 years ago

In addition to being a postmaster, I'm a general. And we both know, it's the job of a general to, by God, get things done.

#152 4 years ago

Govenor here just declared Washington's cannabis industry essential and for the moment has given retailers the permission to provide curbside service to all 21+ customers.

Typically curbside service is forbidden by state law, but as of two days we were told we could only serve curbside to those medically qualified.

#153 4 years ago
    Quoted from WolfManCat:

Govenor here just declared Washington's cannabis industry essential and for the moment has given retailers the permission to provide curbside service to all 21+ customers.
    Typically curbside service is forbidden by state law, but as of two days we were told we could only serve curbside to those medically qualified.

Yep, I just had to do a curbside pickup of a simple network switch at Best Buy (for work) :/. I kinda wish they were closed so that I could tell management that we couldn't do it.

#154 4 years ago

Thankfully, I'm retired. But at age 65, I'm also one of the expendable ones.

#155 4 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

In addition to being a postmaster, I'm a general. And we both know, it's the job of a general to, by God, get things done.

Nice Seinfeld reference!

#156 4 years ago

I've been flying planes with maybe 10 people on them for the last 4 days. Is it really essential?

#157 4 years ago

According to the state yes, however we have been allowed to work part of the day from home. Just installed a KVM switch so I can easily use my work laptop at my home office desk.
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#158 4 years ago
    90866939_3084616944903711_7413392704295403520_n (resized).jpg90866939_3084616944903711_7413392704295403520_n (resized).jpg
    #159 4 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

Hey zampinator , I work for the same employer!

Brother!!

#161 4 years ago

Essential. I do production and on air work at a radio station cluster. Communications is considered along the lines of first responders. Because people need information. And dick jokes. We were given paperwork allowing us to go into work if the shit really hits the fan and there's a shutdown. That was kinda surreal - been through 9/11, and H1N1, civil unrest not to far away from our building but never any paperwork from the feds. So by us, airstaff, production and most management is considered essential. The salespeople are working from home, as is the promotions department and most of the office personnel such as billing and traffic/continuity (commercial scheduling). Prizes are being mailed. Traffic into the building has been cut dramatically.

We have the ability to broadcast remotely if necessary, but that's only if it goes total fuckko-bazoo.

The last few weeks have been brutal. The only bars and restaurants left on the air are the ones doing delivery and curbside pickup that can still afford to stay with us. Live events have been put on hold - they even postponed Summerfest until September. The non-essential retail is on hold at best, if not gone. I'm thankful to still be working.

#162 4 years ago
    7EB24E77-6CAE-47EB-9405-5020EBFF8F3F (resized).jpeg7EB24E77-6CAE-47EB-9405-5020EBFF8F3F (resized).jpeg
    #163 4 years ago

I've recently received a promotion from my job.... went from expendable to essential..
    But seriously they say HVAC is essential and we have to carry papers to show if we get stopped.

I travel quite a bit and have 4 to 5 guys in my crew and are mostly away from people generally, but we've changed our weekly time sheet turn in from Monday to Friday so they can be sure to get our pay out the next week.

I think those higher up in companies will see that even the lowest level workers are essential to help run a business.. im not saying up everyone's rates as I believe you should hard work your way up but even a small bonus of some sort makes people want to stay and better themselves and the company they work for... well usually..I have seen those people who just dont get it.

#164 4 years ago

A certain amount of these deemed "essential" are pure horseshit. I have also been given the official "allowed to travel" letter from my employer. I work on copiers/printers for goodness sake. I am thankful to still be working, but I don't feel safe going into office buildings while our infected rate is climbing at astronomical levels in our area. I understand that we support doctors and hospitals, etc. But minor copier problems at a construction company, a corporate office of a restaurant chain, an insurance company, a CPA firm. These are not "essential" in my view.

#165 4 years ago

Well since my last post i got laid off completely. Guess they considered me non essential. But since they told me to file unemployment, theyve kept calling me in for this and that. Guess i was more essential than they realized. I think theyre talking advantage of situation, shifting labor costs to govt and still getting benefit of my abilities. Load of crap.

#166 4 years ago

We have a couple of oil and gas clients, as well as providing support for a couple of large irrigation districts, so I’m essential for now. We can’t do any private development work right now because our local county public works department is shut down.

#167 4 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

But since they told me to file unemployment, theyve kept calling me in for this and that.

What would happen if you said no?

#168 4 years ago
    Quoted from Electronmagic:

What would happen if you said no?

Wi law states i must not decline work if offered, so they could mess with my unemployment. BUT every dollar i earn at work reduces the amount of unemployment also. So they can screw with me on both ends by making me work and costing me money. Not cool. I qualify for the max payment of $370 a week. A fraction of what i made. I get called in for work tho and the state reduces the 370. After 10 hrs or so i lose all the 370. How is that fair? And that 10 hrs of work is less than 370. So i end taking home say 200 for the week where i was unemployed by my employers decision, yet was made to help them by the law. Employer gets what they need done for pennies on the dollar at my expense. I cant pay the bills now, yet if i quit i dont get unemployment either so im trapped.

#169 4 years ago

Essential. Screening my coworkers for covid with improper protective equipment at a psych hospital. The shortage of n95 masks and price gouging sucks. Trying to keep my immune system up.

Just returned about 2 months ago from a nasty injury and am somewhat lucky to be stuck on light duty but it still sucks being on the front line. Covid cases are starting to pop up in the hospital and it is pretty nerve racking.

#170 4 years ago

Update: Our facility, which is in full blown lockdown has just told hospital to go pound sand as they inquired about us accepting two patients who test positive for the Virus. One post acute facility in CT already has had a patient who tested positive and we currently are forbidding staff from being on schedule who work at another building. Masks are now mandatory for staff members when they are on the floor. The owner is taking great steps to ensure our residents safety.

#171 4 years ago

Mine is only essential to my employer who could care less about whats going on but did shut things down to a minimum for 24 hours and has been slowly calling people back each day to start back up again. Granted we all need to eat but it's more about putting money in his pocket then ours and always has been. The problem they will have now is that people are getting 80% unemployment pay to stay home and do nothing so they can't get the people to come back. There is only a hand full of us that are willing to risk it all for 100% pay by showing up everyday, it's not that were that dedicated to our work but we need that extra 20% to survive at the pay were being handed each week..., which isn't much. And I think we have too much pride in ourselves to stay working rather then collect unemployment. My employer will do anything to get around the laws and stay under the radar for as long as he can.

John

#172 4 years ago

Its awesome that you guys are taking all of the precautionary measures and have the means to do so but I couldn't be any less compassionate or empathetic than this when it comes to turning a sick person away. All facilities have people who lack empathy and compassion. That's why my wife and I cared for my mother instead of sending her to a home.

Quoted from gdonovan:

Our facility, which is in full blown lockdown has just told hospital to go pound sand as they inquired about us accepting two patients who test positive for China Virus.

#173 4 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

Its awesome that you guys are taking all of the precautionary measures and have the means to do so but I couldn't be any less compassionate or empathetic than this when it comes to turning a sick person away. All facilities have people who lack empathy and compassion. That's why my wife and I cared for my mother instead of sending her to a home.

People are here to be kept safe, introducing a possible carrier into a building full of high risk elderly would be madness.

#174 4 years ago

I’m definitely non-essential... music teacher. But, I’m able to bring some normalcy and comfort to the kids I work with. I’ve now moved over 30 guitar and drum lessons onto Zoom and Facetime!

#175 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

People are here to be kept safe, introducing a possible carrier into a building full of high risk elderly would be madness.

Understood and respected. But telling someone to kick sand lacks compassion. That's my point. In this industry there are better ways to get your message across.

#176 4 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:But telling someone to kick sand lacks compassion

Figure of speech, maybe?

#177 4 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Figure of speech, maybe?

You're right. When I see and know people who are contracting this shit it really hits home. Being in the middle of this shit has me frazzled.

Hope everyone stays safe.

#178 4 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Figure of speech, maybe?

Figure of speach.

Bear in mind the hospital is trying to shuffle the individual off on someone else and I can assure you they will often not be totally truthful about residents condition if it gets rid of them. And once you accept you own them. We have a team member who's only job is to vet possible admissions based on medical records.

#179 4 years ago

Essential. Truck Driver. For my section of the industry Business has actually increased

#180 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mrawesome44:

Essential. Truck Driver. For my section of the industry Business has actually increased

Thank You. You are the core of us receiving anything.

#181 4 years ago

I have been officially deemed by my employer to be essential.

The demand for quality exotic dancing has apparently not been abated.

#182 4 years ago

We were handed a mixed bag. My job is essential but the supplier of parts is union and they decided to go home. Union can determine if they work or not even if they are deemed essential.

One thing I will add is if your forced to work as being deemed essential you should be also supplied with needed cleaning and protection products.
    We cant find the stuff anywhere so we are using bleach with is irritating to the lungs and skin. 70% alcohol has been wiped out so we can mix our own.
    Hoping restocking will come soon.

1 week later
    #183 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Update: Our facility, which is in full blown lockdown has just told hospital to go pound sand as they inquired about us accepting two patients who test positive for the Virus. One post acute facility in CT already has had a patient who tested positive and we currently are forbidding staff from being on schedule who work at another building. Masks are now mandatory for staff members when they are on the floor. The owner is taking great steps to ensure our residents safety.

Is the full blown lockdown working out? The only time staff never left our facility was during snowstorms. Hope you guys are safe. We have 12 positive cases now.

#184 4 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

Is the full blown lockdown working out? The only time staff never left our facility was during snowstorms. Hope you guys are safe. We have 12 positive cases now.

No cases at this time, full precautions in place.

We have set aside 4 rooms for isolation in the event someone tested positive. Boss is figuring that someone will slip in sooner or later as we are still taking admissions. Technically cases are being screened but hospitals are not always 100% honest when they are trying to get people out the door. Keeping supplies coming in regular has been a challenge but we are holding and in some cases building up a little stock.

#185 4 years ago

Yes. Total honesty and more supplies would be wonderful.

#186 4 years ago

Trying to be non-essential but the phone keeps ringing.

#187 4 years ago

No politician is an essential worker.

#188 4 years ago

The province of Alberta just announced yesterday that my job is one of those where we have priority for covid testing should we be experiencing symptoms or believe we may have been infected via community transmission.

Also, it's a full moon tonite. I really hate full moons.

#189 4 years ago

I am a sole trader and own my own business selling distillation equipment. Don't know if i'm essential, buut i have never been busier than the last 3 weeks and have nearly sold out of all my stock. Fucking hand sanitiser, who knew?

stilldragon.com.au

#190 4 years ago

Essential- Haz-Mat Truck Driver.
    Delivering to fuel stations and hot liquid asphalt to plants that make mix for our highways. I keep busy with whatever I haul.
    Gas is cheaper now but not so many buying with the lockdown.
    -Mike

#191 4 years ago
    Quoted from TimBoch:

I've been flying planes with maybe 10 people on them for the last 4 days. Is it really essential?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #192 4 years ago

Non-essential. I'm a PGA Golf Professional. I own a golf course in Maine, I manage a golf course in Washington state.The grass keeps growing.

#193 4 years ago

Essential. I’m in the quality department of a plastics film products manufacturer. We have been producing the hell out of material used in the production of face masks lately.

We also make material for other health and hygiene products.

And this weekend, we are actually running trials on a new product that will be used to make hospital gowns.

#194 4 years ago

My wife is with a company in the medical field.

I'm an engineer for a company involved in the supply of oxygen, among other things.

Both our companies were deemed critical and we have both been working from home.

#195 4 years ago

ALL jobs are essential unless you are independently wealthy or have other means to feed yourself/family and pay your bills! What kind of crap is this essential vs non-essential stuff? I guess certain people are mandated to go bankrupt but others receive the king's blessing?? It's ok for the supermarket worker to expose themselves to infection if they don't use PPE (its not mandated from what I see) but the barber can't make the same decision? Where's the reason in these laws?

#196 4 years ago
    Quoted from sbmania:

ALL jobs are essential unless you are independently wealthy or have other means to feed yourself/family and pay your bills! What kind of crap is this essential vs non-essential stuff? I guess certain people are mandated to go bankrupt but others receive the king's blessing?? It's ok for the supermarket worker to expose themselves to infection if they don't use PPE (its not mandated from what I see) but the barber can't make the same decision? Where's the reason in these laws?

Essential to maintaining a normal, functioning society.

I think we both agree that a steady supply of pinball machines is not the same as a steady supply of food and electricity.

If you choose to work in the leisure industry, then, unfortunately, you are not supplying critical service.

I'm pretty sure you know this.

#197 4 years ago
    Quoted from investingdad:

Essential to maintaining a normal, functioning society.
    I think we both agree that a steady supply of pinball machines is not the same as a steady supply of food and electricity.
    If you choose to work in the leisure industry, then, unfortunately, you are not supplying critical service.
    I'm pretty sure you know this.

I'm pretty sure you know that if employees of leisure or other companies stay unemployed long enough, stop paying their mortgages and car loans, and use up large parts of their savings paying for food, medical care and other necessities, that our country will not recover for years.
    How many shut mom and pop shops are forecast to reopen when this is all over? Most estimates I read say 50% at best. That's a LOT of vacant storefronts and bankrupt families! That's just as big a problem, if not bigger, than the coronavirus. Which I'm not minimizing at all. But which seems to be no worse than many other flu-like diseases that we deal with routinely each year. Apart from the rampant media hysteria on all sides.

#198 4 years ago
    Quoted from sbmania:

I'm pretty sure you know that if employees of leisure or other companies stay unemployed long enough, stop paying their mortgages and car loans, and use up large parts of their savings paying for food, medical care and other necessities, that our country will not recover for years.
    How many shut mom and pop shops are forecast to reopen when this is all over? Most estimates I read say 50% at best. That's a LOT of vacant storefronts and bankrupt families! That's just as big a problem, if not bigger, than the coronavirus. Which I'm not minimizing at all. But which seems to be no worse than many other flu-like diseases that we deal with routinely each year. Apart from the rampant media hysteria on all sides.

I never said it wasn't a problem.

I was giving an example of what jobs and industries are critical. Contrary to what you posted, not all jobs are critical. The hobby shop? Not critical.

What I am not interested in debating any more is whether covid19 is like the flu in its severity. If people want to continue to believe that fantasy, more power to them.

#199 4 years ago

I would say my job is most definitely non essential, but as it can be done from home I still have to (get to) work. Bonuses and raises have been delayed at best, possibly canceled.

#200 4 years ago

More 'essential' supplies going out to two big name food / bev. producers.
    With WTI closing under 0.00 yesterday, sanitizer & wipes might be our saving grace (didn't even sell this stuff before).

20200421_081643 (resized).jpg20200421_081643 (resized).jpg20200421_081911 (resized).jpg20200421_081911 (resized).jpg
    There are 205 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-your-job-essential-or-non-essential/page/4?hl=sgsa and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.