(Topic ID: 264687)

Is your job essential or non essential?

By Electronmagic

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is your job essential or non essential”

• Essential 171 votes
      72%
    • Non essential 67 votes
      28%

(238 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Soft-Scrambled-Eggs-Recipe (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200508-202525.png
    Screenshot_20200508-202525 (resized).png
    7BDDDA08-A291-4D42-9E0D-52DF8E72FFFB (resized).jpeg
    20200421_081911 (resized).jpg
    20200421_081643 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    7EB24E77-6CAE-47EB-9405-5020EBFF8F3F (resized).jpeg
    90866939_3084616944903711_7413392704295403520_n (resized).jpg
    2A24A0F3-04E0-4C1E-8B6A-1ED8077D4896 (resized).jpeg
    Homeless-Shopping-Cart (resized).jpg
    97B8CB24-8C23-4176-8A44-EADC349BB4A5 (resized).jpeg
    48FF3D39-19AB-4AB7-AA85-897AC98D52AE (resized).jpeg
    23CB0F01-9662-40B4-BF45-3C11289101EC (resized).jpeg
    There are 205 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
    #101 4 years ago

Scientist.

I am a Biochemist. Mostly interested in Cancer, but we are now trying to see if the metabolic pathway we target would be relevant for Covid-19.

Has been considered non essential on the short term.
    Cuts in the research and development budget of a company are painless and save money... on the short term.
    There were cuts at the national level in medical research in France too.
    On the long term though... may be you'll need us.

Even then, for now, I must confess that the people I would love to have now as neighbors would not be scientists but : 1) farmers 2) doctors. 3) someone able to fix anything.

#102 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

We can't work from home because we're union and non-management.

Interesting, I’m Union & my entire industry has instantly shifted to work from home.

Anyway, I make cartoons - absolutely non-essential, yet something we can still do as a collaborative team remotely - so, we haven’t been laid off, and are continuing with our jobs as best we can despite the circumstances, from home. As far as I know every animation studio in town is still continuing.

To all of you heroes with the essential jobs out there braving this mess - thank you & take care “out there”!

#103 4 years ago

Non- I'm an iron melter in a foundry still working 60 hours a week

#104 4 years ago

Essential, crude oil refinery operations. The oil never stops, 24 hours 365.

#105 4 years ago

From what I’ve read , the list of non essential workers is very short . That’s in NY where most of us are essential .

#106 4 years ago

Network Administrator for a local government agency here. I’ve been told that we (everyone in my IT department: one other IT admin, and 5 other Helpdesk Techs) are essential.

Throughout the week, all the admin personnel have devastated our asset inventory so they could work from home, but they haven’t budged on letting IT work from home yet.

The truth of the matter is that we’ve all work from home after hours and periodically every month depending on the need. Now that we ask to just make it 100% from home in the wake of this event, we’ve been denied..

#107 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Interesting, I’m Union & my entire industry has instantly shifted to work from home.
    Anyway, I make cartoons - absolutely non-essential, yet something we can still do as a collaborative team remotely - so, we haven’t been laid off, and are continuing with our jobs as best we can despite the circumstances, from home. As far as I know every animation studio in town is still continuing.
    To all of you heroes with the essential jobs out there braving this mess - thank you & take care “out there”!

This was the argument that was made to us in IT when we asked to work from home. They also went on to say if you ask to work from home, how does that look for your job being outsourced?

I was taken aback from that statement. Why are you (management) and everyone else (in a different union group) transitioning to working from home then?

IT tends to be an afterthought in any planning made by management.

#108 4 years ago

I'm out of work, so I guess it wasn't essential.

Too bad they don't feel student loans are "non-essential"

#109 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Sorry to hear that.

#110 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I'm out of work, so I guess it wasn't essential.

It's not much, but there's a little help:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-to-suspend-your-student-loan-payments-11584799200

#111 4 years ago
    Quoted from C_Presley:

Essential, crude oil refinery operations. The oil never stops, 24 hours 365.

While I'm NOT an operator, the company I work for supplies parts to keep these types of companies operating. We also supply nuclear facilities, food and bev providers, water and waste water operations, pretty much anything to keep others in production / operation.
    Yes, we are a middle man and I wish NOT to get into that discussion here, I've covered that in other threads. I actually have a B.S. in distribution so we can chat about that in PM if it really gets you excited.

I'll let the government decide if we are Essential, however under advise from our attorney, know I will exercise my First Amendment right of freedom of assembly and do that at my workplace should push come to shove.

#112 4 years ago

I work in the office for a glass company, we are open and doing jobs! I am not sure why, but we are here till the government tells us otherwise!

#113 4 years ago

I fix copiers and printers at customer's locations. You would think that is non-essential but not so. Many hospitals, doctors offices, etc are depending on us to keep things running. With schools being closed as well as many businesses, our call load is way down, but we are still working.

#114 4 years ago

Non. I own a bowling pro shop. Governor shut the bowling centers down last Tuesday .

#115 4 years ago

I'm a software developer and our company is having us work from home.
    My wife is a neuropsychiatrist and she still goes into the hospital to work, but many patients are not coming in or asked not to come in depending on their severity.
    My three-year-old is at home with us, since we are too nervous to send her to daycare. She mostly watches movies while I work. Fortunately, my wife comes home after lunch to take care of her since her work has slowed significantly.

Overall, we feel extremely fortunate in the current situation. We are trying to keep our community businesses alive, ordering take out delivered whenever we can and leaving very large tips. My wife also makes it a point to donate to a lot of causes right now.

Our lives are still very stressful though, we constantly worry that my wife will pick up the virus and bring it home since she works at the hospital.

#116 4 years ago

I'm not essential. But I work remotely for a software company, so nothing is changing as far as my job goes. I never have to travel or go into the office.

#117 4 years ago

Hotel industry.... You tell me.

#118 4 years ago

This one appreciates when when you are home.

#119 4 years ago

Software sales. Non essential and am based out of my house, but supporting government agencies that are impacted.

#120 4 years ago

I make circuit boards for pinball machines. Not essential but I work out of my home. Unless the post office shuts down or I can't get materials I will stay working. Amount of orders has slowed down the last two weeks for sure.

#121 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Yeah well, when you're union with the CWA, don't expect them to ever do anything in the workers' favor. They pretty much have bent over and smiled for the company for all 11 years I've been with my employer. We've had no REAL pay increases because they let the company run rampant with medical premium costs, and while I get a COLA every year, it's just taken away in January when premiums go up every year. So for August-Dec I have a pay raise. For Jan-August I have a pay CUT.

As of this morning, they're talking about potentially letting us work from home. It's never been done, or discussed, before. I don't think it will be viable for me to do if we have to be on phones at all, because I have noisy kids and nowhere to isolate my work quietly at home. But if it reduces my exposure to other people, then GOOD.

#122 4 years ago

I'm in the Car Wash business , so no , not essential

#123 4 years ago

Wasn't the primary purpose of unions 'back in the day' to help ensure worker safety?

#124 4 years ago
    Quoted from luch:

I'm in the Car Wash business , so no , not essential

Try telling that to my girlfriend.

#125 4 years ago

Medical marijuana, essential.

#126 4 years ago

I am at work working so what does that say

#127 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Yeah well, when you're union with the CWA, don't expect them to ever do anything in the workers' favor.

Uff, yeah that all sounds like some bullshit.

Quoted from Frax:

I don't think it will be viable for me to do if we have to be on phones at all, because I have noisy kids and nowhere to isolate my work quietly at home. But if it reduces my exposure to other people, then GOOD.

My next door neighbor just called me as he's currently has an "office" set up in his truck in the driveway

They had us set up to work from home at the start, then they realized it's stupid and have given us the ability not to work if we can't and still get paid.

#128 4 years ago

Director of Facilities for a University, and senior commander in the National Guard. Pretty much essential at both jobs right now.

#129 4 years ago

went to the bank today , security guard at the door , they make you line up outside 10ft apart , only allow two people in the bank at a time ,with only two tellers open , as one person exits , the next in line goes in , waited about 1/2 an hour to get in , they are closing all non essential business at midnight tuesday

#130 4 years ago

No drive thru?

#131 4 years ago

no drive thru , they are rare up here , atm's . yes lots

#132 4 years ago

Lots of drive thrus here.
    Maybe that is why we are all overweight.

#133 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

Lots of drive thrus here.
    Maybe that is why we are all overweight.

oh we have drive thrus for food , just not for banks

#134 4 years ago

I have a feeling both Canadian and American government will be determining what's essential and provide the public with a list. I just see it coming.

#135 4 years ago

Essential. Delivering your pinball parts to your neighbors address for 11 years now! Lol

97B8CB24-8C23-4176-8A44-EADC349BB4A5 (resized).jpeg97B8CB24-8C23-4176-8A44-EADC349BB4A5 (resized).jpeg
    #136 4 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I have a feeling both Canadian and American government will be determining what's essential and provide the public with a list. I just see it coming.

Dougie Ford is making a list now . went to the same high school with him , he just lived down the road from me

#137 4 years ago

My job is essentially non-essential, turned in my shopping cart yesterday. Gonna miss picking up all those cans...
    Homeless-Shopping-Cart (resized).jpgHomeless-Shopping-Cart (resized).jpg

#138 4 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Wasn't the primary purpose of unions 'back in the day' to help ensure worker safety?

Still is, at least in my field.

#139 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zampinator:

Essential. Delivering your pinball parts to your neighbors address for 11 years now! Lol[quoted image]

Hey Zampinator , I work for the same employer!

#140 4 years ago

Cop here. We get our temperatures taken every day before we go on shift. Few if any traffic stops and arrests.

#141 4 years ago
    Quoted from Globalcop:

Cop here. We get our temperatures taken every day before we go on shift. Few if any traffic stops and arrests.

are you letting people get way more traffic stuff then normal?

#142 4 years ago

Retired NYPD non essential. Part time armed security for USDA quarantine animal facility as of now essential. Full time courier for a medical marijuana company essential.

#143 4 years ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

I was wondering the same thing. The other day I could have easily been pulled over and given a ticket, but when I seen the cop right behind me I just got off the road as fast as I could, and he did not follow me.

(I was speeding AND talking on the phone, it was a business issue, not personal, but still not legal).

#144 4 years ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

Yep. Most traffic stops are BS anyways. None of the traffic stops that we do on a regular basis have anything to do with what causes accidents.

We're dealing with as much stuff as we possibly can over the telephone, which is surprisingly a lot. We're not going into people's houses unless it's absolutely necessary.

Our roll call meetings are in the big conference room now so that we can all sit far apart. I'm pretty impressed with the policies the department has implemented to keep us in the public safer.

#145 4 years ago
    Quoted from Globalcop:

Yep. Most traffic stops are BS anyways. None of the traffic stops that we do on a regular basis have anything to do with what causes accidents.

YOU, are a awesome COP, and PERSON!

Thank You! For your service, and obvious common sense and empathy that is lost so many times these days.

#146 4 years ago

USPS.

I dont see us shutting down anytime soon, if ever.

#147 4 years ago
    Quoted from Slim64:

USPS.

2A24A0F3-04E0-4C1E-8B6A-1ED8077D4896 (resized).jpeg2A24A0F3-04E0-4C1E-8B6A-1ED8077D4896 (resized).jpeg
    #148 4 years ago

I'm fortunate to work in IT as a support engineer. We are getting hammered with work from home requests from our clients right now. They sent us all home Monday to work from there.

#149 4 years ago
    Quoted from Slim64:

USPS.

Same here, rural carrier. No shut down in sight, especially with people relying on Amazon deliveries for supplies and working more from home.

#150 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

Same here, rural carrier. No shut down in sight, especially with people relying on Amazon deliveries for supplies and working more from home.

Not to mention the USPS delivery of medications, all IRS communications. Ya'll are certainly essential, I want my stimulus check that hasn't even been approved yet!

There are 205 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-your-job-essential-or-non-essential/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.