Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-743.jpg
image-782.jpg
image.jpg
GoldenArrowPafasaMod.jpg
IMG_3144.JPG
#1 10 years ago

I'm sure this is nothing groundbreaking or new to some of you, but here goes.

Yesterday a cool thing happened. I was having a discussion about the Gottlieb Golden Arrow I have been deep clean shopping and the question came up about what the guys think of the game itself as a player/keeper. The consensus was that the game looks and plays great but is too easy. There are different rule sets for 3-ball and 5-ball play, but either setting just seems too easy. I suggested that it would be cool to get the 5-ball rules but only get 3 balls to play. After about an hour or so, Dirtflipper had the solution and I applied it to my game. It works and is very unobtrusive and completely reversible. I imagine some games will be easier than others to accomplish this mod. In my case, just a single jumper gets it done.

I think there are a lot of games that could benefit from this and I would like to use this thread to record/show how it is done on as many games as possible. If you do this mod to your game, please post pics and instructions so others can see!

Here is the first version of this mod in my game. I am going to make it more permanent by adding a wire and jones plug tip to make it look more "factory". I will also print a card to attach to the underside of the playfield so it is clear what to do with the jumper. It could be labeled "PRO" or maybe even something cooler like "The Pafasa Mod"

Thanks to Dirtflipper for his help figuring this out. He really deserves the credit. I just can't get him to sign off on my proposed name "The Dirty Pafasa Mod"

IMG_3144.JPGIMG_3144.JPG

#2 10 years ago

I'm going to try this for sure and I love the extra plug idea to make it look pro.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from jasonsmith:

I'm going to try this for sure and I love the extra plug idea to make it look pro.

Also Dirtflipper's idea....

#4 10 years ago

So cool. Right off the top of my head I think Buccaneer and Flip A Card could benefit from this. I'm sure there are tons more.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from TheShameGovernor:

So cool. Right off the top of my head I think Buccaneer and Flip A Card could benefit from this. I'm sure there are tons more.

If you make these mods, post pics and instructions here!

#6 10 years ago

My Flip Flop has this with double bonus on the 3rd and 5th ball on 5 ball play...

Pafasa, you just made my day! hugs...

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

My Flip Flop has this with double bonus on the 3rd and 5th ball on 5 ball play...
Pafasa, you just made my day! hugs...

Thanks for the hugs, but I'd love some pics of your mod too!

#8 10 years ago

In general, to change this game from 3 ball to 5 ball, is this plug the only change to make? Simply move the plug from 3 to 5?

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from 82Trooper:

In general, to change this game from 3 ball to 5 ball, is this plug the only change to make? Simply move the plug from 3 to 5?

This change ability will be set up differently from game to game. In the case of Golden Arrow, there is a large connector that needs to be moved from one socket to another to affect the change. Some games have only one pin to move from one socket to another. What we did was move the entire circuit from 3 ball to five ball play and then identify which pin was responsible to trigger game over and jumped that back to the 3 ball setting.

Yours will be different most likely. A schematic will definitely help figure it out. Maybe we can use this thread to help others make the conversion too! Tech support and results all in one thread.

#10 10 years ago

How about on a Sky Jump or Target Aplha...similar vintage Gottlieb games to this one? Any familiarity with either of those games?

#11 10 years ago

Post a couple pics of the 3-5 ball jumpers. Lets see! Do you have the schematics?

#12 10 years ago

I do, but at home. I will try to post this evening or tomorrow...
Thanks!

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

and then identify which pin was responsible to trigger game over

Actually, it just bridges to the existing logic path on the ball count unit that is there to detect ball 3 when the game is on the 3-Ball setting. It indirectly affects when game over occurs, but doesn't trigger it.

The particular jumper shown is for a Golden Arrow, and while other games will be similar, the exact jumper will likely be different (but easily determined from the schematic).

#14 10 years ago

OK, Dirt, please correct me if I'm wrong.

With the jumper wire we made a change in this circuit path only. We put the 3-5 ball Adjust connector in the 5 ball position and then changed just this one path back to the 3 ball setting. The change happened at the connector/jumper shown in the purple circle. What would have been an open path in the 5 ball connector was jumped back to the 3 ball path and completed the circuit that will end the game after ball three.

GoldenArrowPafasaMod.jpgGoldenArrowPafasaMod.jpg
#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

OK, Dirt, please correct me if I'm wrong.
With the jumper wire we made a change in this circuit path only. We put the 3-5 ball Adjust connector in the 5 ball position and then changed just this one path back to the 3 ball setting. The change happened at the connector/jumper shown in the purple circle. What would have been an open path in the 5 ball connector was jumped back to the 3 ball path and completed the circuit that will end the game after ball three.

GoldenArrowPafasaMod.jpg 553 KB

yes, that's correct.

On that part of the schematic, you'll see that when the ball count unit is on ball 5, the path is always complete. But if the 3/5 ball adjustment plug is in the 5-ball setting, and if it's on ball 3 (or ball 4), there's no complete connection path available (since it's 'open' on the 5-ball setting). By bridging the YL+BL wire at the connector over to the YL+BL wire on the 3-ball setting side, the path is now able to complete when the ball count unit is on 3, 4, or 5.

It's just that a couple more things have to happen to fully reach Game Over, but this allows it to occur after ball 3 drains (which it would do anyway, if the 3/5-ball setting were on the 3-ball side).

A corollary would be that if you wanted the 3-ball rules, but a 5-ball game, you'd put the 3/5-ball adjustment plug on the 3-ball setting, but unsolder the YL+BL wire at the lug to keep this path open instead. Then the game would end after ball 5, but you'd play with the 3-ball rules. So if a game is *too* hard, you can go the other way too.

That would provide four possible rule/ball count combos. With a little bit more work, could set it up with an option to select any of the four.

#16 10 years ago

That is cool, you guys!!

#17 10 years ago

I have been playing the Golden Arrow with the Pafasa Mod all weekend. What a difference! I switch it to 5 ball for the kids because they enjoy the extra play time and then a quick hookup of the jumper for me. Very fun. I now struggle to break 100k and usually get "almost there" on the special!

Hey Chrisbee, If you end up modding your games this way, will you post the details?

#18 10 years ago

I've played a Surf Champ that was set up this way. It really made lighting up the roll over increments on the backglass all that more special. I had always wondered how it was done and thought it was much more complex than this. Thanks for the tip!

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Barron:

I've played a Surf Champ that was set up this way. It really made lighting up the roll over increments on the backglass all that more special. I had always wondered how it was done and thought it was much more complex than this. Thanks for the tip!

You gonna give it a shot on your Surf Champ?

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

Hey Chrisbee, If you end up modding your games this way, will you post the details?

will do, but it maybe a few weeks away - its summer now Cinema is in full swing. Just bought a D-Cinema (DCI) projector, busy building stands and stuff, and down $45k.

#21 10 years ago

The PAFASA Mod version 1.2

I used a rigid stranded wire so the pin would hold itself away from everything when not in use.

3-ball
image.jpgimage.jpg

5-ball
image-782.jpgimage-782.jpg

3-ball with 5-ball rules
image-743.jpgimage-743.jpg

What what!!!??

Thanks a bunch to dirt flipper for the help figuring this out. Thanks also a bunch to alexF for the jones pin!

#22 10 years ago

That's pretty slick!

#23 10 years ago

Nice Mod Pafasa!

I really like the way you took the time to make it look like it actually belongs and the fact that it can be easily removed back to original if you ever sell the machine.

Ken

#24 10 years ago

Thanks Ken, I took dirtflippers idea and ran with it! Now I claim it as my own.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from Barron:

Yep! The Card Whiz at PNN is set up the same way. 1k bumpers are a joke.

#26 10 years ago

The seller of my Card Whiz wanted to set it up this way and also set up a mod if I wanted the drop targets to rest if they all went down. I told him no and no and that if I had a Highhand that would be a great mod to have and to please keep mine all original rules.

#27 10 years ago

You can plug it in the unused lug on the 3-ball side (upper right one) rather than let it dangle.

Too bad you couldn't find some YL+BL cloth wire; that would look slick.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

You can plug it in the unused lug on the 3-ball side (upper right one) rather than let it dangle.
Too bad you couldn't find some YL+BL cloth wire; that would look slick.

Point one: Yup if I had made the jumper long enough! If the large connector is plugged into the 3-ball jack, you are right, I can just loop the jones pin right into the 5-ball jack so it is not hanging loose. This will be standard 3-ball mode. If the large connector is in the 5-ball jack, the pin can either be connected to the proper spot on the 3-ball jack or in an unused slot on the jack. This is all fine as long as the owner is careful and aware of the correct connections

Point two: my numbering convention allows for further revisions. Should I call it version 1.3 or 1.2.1? Decisions decisions.

#29 10 years ago

I may have some cloth wire you could use....

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

Yep! The Card Whiz at PNN is set up the same way. 1k bumpers are a joke.

I suppose I could've just asked ya. My SC has other issues that need to be sorted before I go a hot roddin' it, though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-your-em-too-easy-try-the-pafasa-mod-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.