Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 98 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by LongJohns
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

space invaders with flash 001.JPG
    centaur pf 001.JPG
    KISS final 001.JPG
    Men from UNCLE.jpg
    There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 10 years ago

Nope, I work for a large tech company selling enterprise class servers...

#52 10 years ago

Yup and I'm one lucky man . I started my own arcade and pinball tech business 4 years ago ( Reeds arcade and pinball repair) and i love it ! I couldn't have done it without a very supporting wife and really cool people in the hobby and forums like this one. It lets me meet really great people and keep the love for arcade games alive. I still have a lot to learn and experience but wouldn't change it for anything . I love pinball and arcades and haven't lost the passion at all . I love not knowing what game I'll get to work on next or pinball that I can shop to bring back to life. I hope most people really get to experience doing something you love like I have .

#53 10 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Nope, I work for a large tech company selling enterprise class servers...

BS, you're an undercover site moderator and I know it.

#54 10 years ago
    Quoted from Phatchit:

Yup and I'm one lucky man . I started my own arcade and pinball tech business 4 years ago ( Reeds arcade and pinball repair) and i love it ! I couldn't have done it without a very supporting wife and really cool people in the hobby and forums like this one. It lets me meet really great people and keep the love for arcade games alive. I still have a lot to learn and experience but wouldn't change it for anything . I love pinball and arcades and haven't lost the passion at all . I love not knowing what game I'll get to work on next or pinball that I can shop to bring back to life. I hope most people really get to experience doing something you love like I have .

Thumbs up! Well said and congrats.

#55 10 years ago

Producer but I am glad the Duggers were finally canceled! I do not miss it!

#56 10 years ago
    Quoted from wdpvideo:

Producer but I am glad the Duggers were finally canceled! I do not miss it!

Was that one of your shows?

#57 10 years ago

What day job? You guys have a job?

#58 10 years ago

No, but the 17' box truck I use for my business has come in handy a few times for picking up pins!

#59 10 years ago
    Quoted from Saveleaningtower:

I am a physicist. . Newton's Laws, Collisions , impulse , changes in momentum , .....

Higgs Boson, bitches.

My day job is golf media-related. Not bad.

#60 10 years ago

I was born into the industry. Learned as I went. Still doing the same.

LTG : )™

#61 10 years ago

Electrician somewhat glad I don't work in the business. If I did who knows what I would do to escape from work. I find peace and quiet shopping pinballs and arcade games.

#62 10 years ago

Well the job that pays my bills is lighting up rock stars...I like to say I make rock stars look good.

But 4 years ago I started volunteering to help clean pins, that lead to repair, that lead to being paid. So for one day a week I get paid to play pinball..uh I mean, maintain pinball machines. That has lead to a couple house calls and now I have a couple requests to be an 'operator', meaning a couple local businesses have approached me about putting machines in their businesses, which I may end up following through with. (Yes. I have looked into local codes,etc)

Have I really made much at it...no. I have put a fair amount of what I get paid back into parts etc for the place I 'work'. But it is a blast and I think it helps to break even on an addiction, uh, I mean hobby.

#64 10 years ago

I wish, I don't think my boss would approve of me stuffing a pin inside my helicopter. Although it would make stops way more enjoyable.

#65 10 years ago

Slap down another electrician. I aspire to do more though. I enjoy working on the machines quite a bit. I like the change of pace versus my job. Now if I could ever finish this old house I would have more time for hobbies, pins, mountain bikes, motorcycles, and family.

#66 10 years ago
    Quoted from Phatchit:

This is my story as well only 11years ago this past Tuesday I opened Lyons Classic Pinball. It has been a blast. Not easy but fun, mostly happy people coming in and most thank me for being there and I can tell it is truly heart felt.
    Thanks to all of you who have been a part of our success .

#67 10 years ago
    Quoted from ghostbc:

This is my story as well only 11years ago this past Tuesday I opened Lyons Classic Pinball. It has been a blast. Not easy but fun, mostly happy people coming in and most thank me for being there and I can tell it is truly heart felt.Thanks to all of you who have been a part of our success .

Lucky bastards!

#68 10 years ago

My background was computer sales, then I spent about 10 years in IT department side of a few insurance companies, but since 2005 I've been running www.bigdaddy-enterprises.com. For the last 3-4 years, it is for sure a "full time job", despite what some of my friends & relatives think!

#69 10 years ago

Not really unless you want to call being part of the design/engineering team on the new mustang involved since Stern is doing a machine based on it

#70 10 years ago

#71 10 years ago
    Quoted from juanton:

Was that one of your shows?

No I did not produce that show, I did all the ariel shoots on the show.

#72 10 years ago

Started with aviation radio for 15 years, now I run three SMT lines building medical electronics.

The pin business is more of a weekend / early morning business that doesn't give me paychecks very often.

#73 10 years ago
    Quoted from wdpvideo:

No I did not produce that show, I did all the ariel shoots on the show.

Good, I can say I hate that show now.

#74 10 years ago

PC technician, nope. However, being in the hobby has taught me a lot about electronic theory and repair. I was able to fix a broken USB port on a laptop. The culprit? Yep, bad solder joints.

#75 10 years ago

Needs thread: How to find a day job in pinball.

#76 10 years ago
    Quoted from KloggMonkey:

Needs thread: How to find a day job in pinball.

It's like the old adage...

How to you make a small fortune in pinball?
    Start with a large one.

#77 10 years ago

I do industrial maintenance. I like to separate my hobbies and jobs.

#78 10 years ago

Yup. I'm a video game designer, and I use lessons I've learned from pinball design in my work.

#79 10 years ago

Gov. computers do not allow access to Pinside. One of many sites they block. Trust me on that one.

I currently work as a welder/maintenance mechanic. I deal with transformers, rectifiers, relays, switches, motors, lighting, optos, limit switches, etc, etc, etc. Just on a much bigger scale. Attended a training seminar with these giant "trainer boards" and in the end I told the instructor to just get some old EMs. (The US Navy actually used them to train airplane electricians once upon a time. If you could diagnose an EM, you could fix the planes...) Principles are the same, just compacted. As to the subject at hand; if by related you mean fixing 30 year old equipment that other people have screwed up(but will never own up to it) by sourcing hard to find parts and using some high end diagnostic knowledge alongside backyard engineering, then yes. It is related.

#80 10 years ago

My background is aviation management, currently doing QA type work for a major airline. The pinball fever came on suddenly and severely a few years back and as far as I can tell no cure is in sight.

#81 10 years ago

I'm not sure if it's my "day job" yet, but I make more money working on pins these days than my "day job".

I used to own a bowling alley, but it was too small for pins. When the economy tanked, so too did the bowling alley - we lost just about everything. Today, I'm always looking for work - and I've done okay fixing pins over the last few years. This year, my wife opened an arcade and I maintain the pins there. Basically, we're going for broke, because we're not making enough money at our other jobs to maintain the house, etc.

The arcade has done okay so far, I'm hoping things pick up more sooner...or things will get ugly fast!

#82 10 years ago

Dude where are you located my buddy literally told me about a place in Weymouth yesterday!

#83 10 years ago

I'm a software architect for a retailing company who is just a few years from retirement. I keep thinking I'll open an arcade when I retire, but it would need to make enough to be at least self supporting. I learned my pinball repair in reverse time order starting with a late 90's SS game moving backwards through the 80's, 70's 60's and even a 1955 PNB. It's fascinating to see how fast the technology evolved and am sure we can't imagine what this hobby will be like in 50 more years.

#84 10 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Dude where are you located my buddy literally told me about a place in Weymouth yesterday!

On Route 3A in Weymouth, on the right, about a mile past the Fore River Bridge - Pop Bumpers Pinball.

I'll be working there tonight between 6 and 9! Stop by if you have the time tonight.

http://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play/pop-bumpers-pinball-6255-north-weymouth-ma-united-states

#85 10 years ago

So this is what happened to American productivity. Clean out your desk. You're all fired. Now go home and play pinball.

#86 10 years ago
    Quoted from AtlanticPinball:

I'm hoping things pick up more sooner.

Sure do wish you the best and hope that Pinsiders in the area will support you.

#87 10 years ago
    Quoted from AtlanticPinball:

On Route 3A in Weymouth, on the right, about a mile past the Fore River Bridge - Pop Bumpers Pinball.
    I'll be working there tonight between 6 and 9! Stop by if you have the time tonight.
    http://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play/pop-bumpers-pinball-6255-north-weymouth-ma-united-states

I'll def be swinging in at some point. Love supporting endeavors like this!

#88 10 years ago
    Quoted from smokey_789:

So this is what happened to American productivity. Clean out your desk. You're all fired. Now go home and play pinball.

While you are waiting to be fired, visit pinside!

#89 10 years ago

I market Quibids through Craigslist using pinball machines as the bait, so... yes?

#90 10 years ago
    Quoted from Craig:

Sure do wish you the best and hope that Pinsiders in the area will support you.

Me too. I'd love to see this become successful enough that we can try a bigger place, etc.

#91 10 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

I'll def be swinging in at some point. Love supporting endeavors like this!

Awesome! Bring a whole crew of people! Make sure you let me know when you get here. It's a cool meeting Pinsiders in the "real world".

#92 10 years ago

Loosely. I repair industrial LASER machines and Press Brakes. And those machines could be used to produce parts for pinball machines.

#93 10 years ago

I work as a handyman, and when its slow or rainy, or crappy, I restore machines in my basement, and a little customizing too!!!KISS final 001.JPGKISS final 001.JPGcentaur pf 001.JPGcentaur pf 001.JPGspace invaders with flash 001.JPGspace invaders with flash 001.JPG

#94 10 years ago
    Quoted from Blackjacker:

I market Quibids through Craigslist using pinball machines as the bait, so... yes?

You are the one that's getting all the great name pins for cheap!!! LOL!!!

#95 10 years ago

Space invaders 3d looks cool!

#96 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pugsley:

Loosely. I repair industrial LASER machines and Press Brakes. And those machines could be used to produce parts for pinball machines.

I'm one of the guys thats breaks the kind of stuff you repair lol. The company I work for bought a laser table recently going in the new addition. So I get to run the plasma and the laser apparently. Now I will actually be able to make decent looking parts for my games after I get past the learning curve.

#97 10 years ago

yes,30 years

#98 10 years ago
    Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Gov. computers do not allow access to Pinside. One of many sites they block. Trust me on that one.

...maybe in the US...

There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-your-day-job-related-to-pinball/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.