(Topic ID: 153912)

Is your collection diversified or similar?

By rai

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 91 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by BorgDog
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20150810_172236_(resized).jpeg
    20160319_220125_(resized).jpg
    12993481_10206107872884344_3188874565606310549_n_(resized).jpg
    12985337_10206086272944359_1039072704327593089_n_(resized).jpg
    astro_bg_crop_(resized).jpg
    IMG_1961_(resized).JPG
    image-3gg_(resized).jpg
    image-12_(resized).jpg
    Rock-On-2_(resized).jpg
    sf-pinball-machine_(resized).jpg
    big-indian-5-(2)_(resized).jpg
    IMG_20160227_110751874_(resized).jpg
    pins-2_(resized).png
    There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

Got to thinking how (some) people might like a certain type of pin and so their collection might start to look similar.

For example if someone likes a certain type of music like rock, their music collection might not include country, rap, jazz or classical music.

Anyway some people will recommend to another don't get IM if your collection contains a lot of quick type games. However maybe that's what someone like and so might have more of that type of game in their collection.

My two favorite (or 3) are Met pro, IM, and Tron.

Now I do love Tspp and when I had them IJ and TZ were my favorites, I'd like to own again too.

But currently I have all Sterns (8) and all of them being SAM except for Tspp.

I have more newer games 2010 and later (6) against (2) older pins.

I have 4 John Borg designed pins.

#2 8 years ago

All SS but pretty diverse

#3 8 years ago

Pins based on video games

#4 8 years ago

I generally like flowy games but right now I would say mine is fairly diversified.

#6 8 years ago

I have a collection of zero, does that count? Zero and zero are quite similar.

#7 8 years ago

Diversity rules. I have DMDs/SS/EMs.

#8 8 years ago

I think I'm very diverse and one of the reasons why I keep my pins for awhile. I really like what I own and it's tough to say goodbye.

I have 3 sterns, Mustang, IM and ST, B/W -Pin Bot, Indy 500. All play differently and different designers (just worked out that way) .

#9 8 years ago

My newest game is from 1996 so I wouldn't say ignoring 20 years of pinball is very diverse but I have some different eras represented.

#10 8 years ago

Wedgeheads

#11 8 years ago

Mines as diverse as a children's TV show. Games in all colors, shapes, and sizes. Even old fatties like Black Hole.

#13 8 years ago

Variety is the spice of life. I really wish I had room for an EM or 80's SS game though...

#14 8 years ago

I strive for variety... 2EM, 3 SS, 2 90's DMD, 5 Stern DMD. However I've noticed that my tastes lean toward quick/brutal games, and Borg designs. Sterns get the most play.

#15 8 years ago

diverse
    with sub-groups of similar themes

#16 8 years ago

I think diversity is the key to a fun game room! It should incompass all of your likes! I have three Sterns ranging from 1980 to 2014! A Williams from 1990, a Bally from 1992! No two titles anywhere near the same!IMHO.Peace

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from labnip:

Pins based on video games

Holy crap dude that's awesome

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from DK:

Holy crap dude that's awesome

pins-2_(resized).pngpins-2_(resized).png

#19 8 years ago

DW, SG, Bally ST (Sci-Fi theme) with Catacomb & Pistol Poker

Pretty friggin diverse
    faz

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Diversity rules. I have DMDs/SS/EMs.

Me too: LCD/DMD/SS/EM !

#21 8 years ago

I'm going for diverse by era and manufacturer but am drawn to sci fi and fantasy themes generally.

#22 8 years ago

Mine is very diverse. From 40's to virtual. I like to have a few from every era. Also have bowlers, pitch and bats, dart machine, fortune tellers, gun games and arcades. It's nice to break things up a bit and everyone can find something they like, and it's also what I'm into at the time.

#23 8 years ago

I love them all and am constantly rotating them

#24 8 years ago

I have a couple of each flavor.

#25 8 years ago

Pretty diverse, I think....

#26 8 years ago

Diverse
    EMs, SS, AN, DMD

Bally, Williams, Gottlieb, Zaccaria, Data East, Stern

#27 8 years ago

Diverse
    Fast, slow, stop and go, flow. At least one from every decade since the 50’s.

#28 8 years ago

Similar as in all 90's DMDs. But all by different designers.

JM Gomez
    TS Eddy
    MSF Borg
    JD Trudeau
    WCS94 JPop
    DM Nordman

Missing a few big names but...

A good poor man's setup I think.

#30 8 years ago

Diverse-ish

1978-82 era, 9 total; 3 Gottlieb, 6 Bally
    Early 90's era, 8 Total; 3 Bally, 5 Williams
    Modern era, 1 Stern (IMVE)

If I had more space the ratio would largely remain the same, but I'd add some EMs and Bingos.

Personal preferences vary naturally. I think you're missing out though if you don't diversify.

#31 8 years ago

2 EMs
    2 Early Stern SS
    1 System 11
    1 JJP
    5/6 DMDs

#32 8 years ago

I've got games from 1934 to 2015 and every decade in between except the 2000s

#33 8 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

2 EMs
    2 Early Stern SS
    1 System 11
    1 JJP
    5/6 DMDs

Nice. For me it's
    2 EM - soon to be 3 : Sonic Mars Trek on the way
    2 SS (both from 1981: Spectrum and Black Hole)
    2 DMD
    1 LCD

I now need one Zaccaria (Locomotion has my preference) and a recent Stern (ST Pro or Mustang Pro) and I will be more than happy.

#34 8 years ago

I'm not really diverse.. more or less just the highlights of late 80's early 90s. I do have the brand loyal achievement.

#35 8 years ago

I like to think it's diverse but realistically I know it's probably not - it's just the games we like which tend to share designers and features.

#36 8 years ago

I only four pins, but I think the collection is pretty diverse for four games in play style at least

#37 8 years ago

I'd say diverse, but I tend to gravitate towards games with a "stop and aim" feel to them.

#38 8 years ago

Diverse. The only thing in common is the one theme. Water has be in the art package.

#39 8 years ago

I'm waiting for the guy who has the : all Jeff Bridges or the Bill Paxton face on my translites

#40 8 years ago

Diverse 1979 to 2006. I think having a mix is key. The early 80s ballys/sterns really hit home with me. Also the early 90s dmds are well represented.

#41 8 years ago

I decided to go a bit more in depth to answer the diversity question for my collection. When I started collecting, diversity was very important to me. I wanted a well rounded collection that really told the whole pinball story that I experienced in my lifetime. I think I'm missing a few things that I hope my wish list items will eventually fill in. The most important detail here is that these are all games I really like - so I'm not adding pieces just to have diversity. Rather, I've added pieces that I really enjoy, and ended up with diversity.

EM's:

Manufacturers represented:
    Allied Leisure x1
    Bally x1
    Gottlieb x4
    Willams x2

Designers:
    Wayne Neyens
    Ed Krynski x3
    Norm Clark
    Steve Kordek
    Ron Halliburton

Years:
    1965 - 1977

Early SS:
    *This is my least preferred era of pinball, so the one I gave the smallest attention to. There are some games that I have left space for in the lineup that I plan on getting within the next year to round out the collection.

Manufacturers:
    Bally x2

Designers:
    Claude Fernandez
    Jim Patla

Years:

Late SS:

Manufacturers:
    Bally x2
    Williams x3

Designers:
    Mark Ritchie
    Pat Lawlor x2
    Ward Pemberton
    Dan Langlois

Years:
    1989-1990 (The best year in pinball history!)

DMD:

Manufacturers:
    Bally/Williams x6
    Gottlieb
    Sega x5
    Stern x3

Designers:
    Jpop
    John Trudeau x2
    Dennis Nordman
    Pat Lawlor
    Mark Ritchie
    Steve Ritchie
    John Borg
    Joe Balcer
    Joe Kaminkow
    Ward Pemberton
    Paul Leslie
    Ray Tanzer

Years:
    1991-2015

#42 8 years ago

10 games - 7 different manufacturers - 43 year span between the oldest and newest.
    Sounds pretty diverse to me, although it is a little Borg heavy. I still need an a/n game in the line up but I'll get one eventually.

#43 8 years ago

All over the map.

I know of a few "collectors" with nothing but a long line of Stern's latest. I don't really consider them pinball collectors - perhaps "players who can afford to buy NIB".

Nothing I love more than a collection that's all over the map!

#44 8 years ago

Good question. Right from the start I wanted to build a collection that shows the
    evolution of pinball from the very start. Also as many games that had innovations
    like the first pop bumpers, first flipper, etc. My games range from 1931 (Mills OFFICIAL)
    to ST:TNG and Simpsons with a good sprinkling of each era and the vectors (like
    bingos and hybrid vids/pins).

Wish the data base here included more 1930's and '40's games so I
    could list my whole collection. Its always fun to have folks over that have
    only one or two A-list games and show them, and let them play older games
    with features the new pins have that were invented decades ago.
    Steve

#45 8 years ago

Funny thing, I thought I was diverse in the sense that I believed my collection of pins all play differently. However, when I decided to post my response, I discovered that my collection is not all that diverse at all. Admittedly, there are many common features which I tend to gravitate towards in the selection of my games. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing actually...

For example, I like Pat Lawlor games, as well as a mix of Steve Ritchie, George Gomez and John Popadiuk games. Which are reflected in my collection, 11 out of my 16 pins:

PL: TAF, TZ, Funhouse, Family Guy (Stern)
    SR: AC/DC Premium, Star Trek Pro, (WPT-previously owned)
    GG: RFM, MB, LOTR, (NBA FB-previously owned)
    JP: CV, TOTAN (WCS94-previously owned)

#46 8 years ago

I think I'm pretty diversified. Games starting from M. Redgraves 1871 Parlor Bagatelle's to the MMR as being the latest and anything in between. I really need to figure out how to get some of my games posted on the Pinside database.

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, MI.
    269-979-3836

#47 8 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

I really need to figure out how to get some of my games posted on the Pinside database.

jeez
    How many ST:NG have you owned?
    looks like at least five.

#48 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

jeez
    How many ST:NG have you owned?
    looks like at least five.

Probably if not more. I really need to update that sold list too.....ugh.

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, MI.
    269-979-3836

#49 8 years ago

Diverse but w purpose ( I think)...no EM's though:

TZ and TAF- classic and fun, medium ball times
    TSPP and FGY- cartoony fun, one long ball times ( TSPP), other medium ball times
    WCS- easy and fun, long ball times
    WOZ- immersive, hi tech fun, long ball times
    SM- ultimate flow fun, long ball times
    TRONLE and IM- ass kicking fun, short ball times

#50 8 years ago

I pride myself on originality and diversity in my pins. I do not like cookie cutter collections that I used to see all the time. like all B/W Dmd's with 1 stern thrown in...or all new sterns. Break it up. get games from all manufacturers and all eras. Boring when you see the same A titles in everyones collection.

There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-your-collection-diversified-or-similar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.