(Topic ID: 27142)

Is X-Men's code too hard and therefore not fun for the average player to enjoy?

By Shapeshifter

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 133 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Donnyman
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Yoxxy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#71 11 years ago

X-Men is no fun. There I said it.

Pros:
*It's a great layout.
*The artwork is fantastic.
*A lot of the sound is great. I actually like Beast, Storm sounds like she suffered some kind of closed head injury.
*The animations are great. Very detailed.
*The shots are very hard.
*My passing has gotten way better as I am habitually on the wrong side and there is no way to use the loop.

Cons:
*The code is no fun.
*The scoring makes no sense, how can I beat Sabretooth in one game and score 5.5MM and the next beat him and score 2.3MM?
*The lack of stacking makes no sense.
*The fact that you make a choice right away in the game whether you want to push heroes or villains and no matter which way you go you get stuck having to play a bunch of other modes that push you the other way.
*The targets don't count hits unless you aren't in a mode; however, when you aren't in a mode and you hit one you end up in a mode a lot of the time.
*There needs to be another wizard mode for completing danger room and dark phoenix.
*There needs to be more multiballs. The multiballs are currently stupid. Shoot right, shoot wolverine, shoot left, shoot wolverine. Then you have Magneto multiball which to quote the callout from NGG "Shoot anything." There is no thought that goes into Magneto besides keep balls in play.
*The loop around wolverine behind beast through phoenix provides no ability to pass between flippers. The ball locks in Magneto.
*The scoop hits the slingshot and puts the ball on the right flipper 99% of the time.
*Magneto will drop the ball SDTM on a kickout. There needs to be another ball given.

If this was my only machine it would make me want to quit playing pinball. It has a lot of potential but is immensely frustrating in its execution.

I had people over this weekend. X-Men got played for one or two games by each person, where the rest of my machines got play 10 or more games by each person (NGG continues to get more play than ToTAN and MM?). Each person had almost exactly the same thing to say. It seems interesting but it's no fun.

#75 11 years ago

Different strokes for different folks.

I guess I really posted this in the wrong thread. This wasn't about really being hard. I just think it isn't fun. I've knocked all the high scores off the game from the 1.21 update and score around $35MM on average.

I just don't think this game is fun...it is very poorly executed in it's current form, which I think makes it seem hard, when in actuality I should have more posted this as a 'it isn't a fun game thread.'

The other point is people aren't selling this game in groves at a loss because it is a winner. Right now this game is a stinker. Making excuses for it, only encourages Stern to release poor quality products in the future.

The game has potential but the code is terrible.

#76 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

This has never happened once on my game in ~500 plays. Scoop always shoots directly to the left flipper. Magneto release (with no spinner magnet) always drops to the right flipper.
Your game is clearly leveled wrong and tipping to the left.
Level your game...it might be more fun then.

Game is 100% level and measured in 6 spots.

The Magneto dropout happens once every three games, but it also may be because of the spinning wheel. I don't pay that close of attention.

I should check if the scoop is bent however. That may be causing it.

#78 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Get a new level
Seriously your game is behaving wrong. I've never had a scoop kickout touch the sling. Just sayin'

It's a Bosch Engineering level, with Laser and displays actual degrees.

I am thinking based on your post that I have a bent scoop though. Everytime it hits the left sling.

Also, I really want this game to become good. I see it having a lot of potential. It is a pinball machine for the more advanced player no question. I have been an X-Men fan since I was five years old and hearing the Juggernaut, Cyclops, Wolverine and Sabertooth callouts brings me back.

The game, mostly because of code just isn't in that great of a place right now.

#80 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

If his scoop is throwing the ball into the sling, there is something else going on than the pin not being level.

Yeah, based on this thread it is unquestionably bent. I will take it apart tonight. I have been focusing on fixing older machines though, X-Men should take up the least of my time as it is new, not 15 years old...

#106 11 years ago

So I checked the scoop. Thanks everyone.

Now the issue. According to my laser it is about 6 degrees open to the actual scoop cut out. This is definitely the reason balls are shooting into the left sling. Pretty poor quality control but hey that's life. What worries me is it is a rather sizeable adjustment. Based on a drawing I did on the bottom to square it up, I need to move the near screws about an 1/8 of inch. What worries me is there is not really enough room to make this much of an adjustment without filling in the previous holes and losing some stability. As hard as shots go into the scoop I worry about the law term stability of this project and also the question of why I should be doing this on a new machine.

The other choice is to take it off and bend the scoop but I worry a bit about airballs if I go with this.

Overall, kind of a crappy situation for a new machine.

#111 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I still think his leveler is broken

I was ~1 degree off center at the top but I have since squared it up

I never even thought to check the scoop, so your suggestions led the right way anyway.

Thanks.

#116 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Yoxxy, if you think the holes in the scoop are off or it is twisted I would contact Stern customer support with pictures and a description. I had a problem with my scoop (not this particular problem) and got a new one within about a week and a half. If the holes in the playfield are off then you could also drill new holes where need be in the scoop itself to make the necessary adjustment.

I am going to contact them. I am very hesitant to do something to an LE machine that will be noticeable, as in my view it very much negatively affects the resale.

The underside of the playfield looks immaculate and part of the advantage of having an all LED machine is it should look immaculate permanently.

#119 11 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I am not sure how you are defining immaculate, but as far as I know having LED lights vs. incandescent will only really matter in terms of potential heat related issues.
It has nothing to do with general cleanliness of the underside of the playfield; the black dust you see on machines has to do with metal on metal contact (e.g. coil stops, metal ball habitrails etc...). At least that is what I have read and it makes sense.
I have never heard of the grime being magically generated by playfield lamps.
Since Stern has replaced a lot of metal with high end "butyrates" perhaps this will lessen the grime in the future, but this has nothing to do with LE vs non.
I guess score 1 for LE marketing to less informed buyers? I don't know what else to say.

The fact that the bulbs never have to be changed, which creates a huge amount of screw holes on routed machines.

#121 11 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

Am I the only one that finds it a bit odd that many people would prefer to have a game that plays bad than to fix it because of the fear that it might loose it's value if it's been fiddled with a bit... No offense Yoxxy, but surely the game will go up in value if you make it better... and even if it does go down a bit, surely the benefit of having a game that plays better will be worth any slight knock in value...? Anyone who buys a NIB game that thinks like this would be better off leaving them in the box... that's the best was to make them hold their value surely...
Flame suit on and zipped to chin

I think there is a difference between fixing something because you broke it or because it came from the factory in shape that should have never left.

That is where I draw the difference. If it was something I did or broke because it had 5000 games on it, that is a different comparison. If that were the case I would have no issue fixing it and making it arguably look worse.

What this amounts to is, I am selling you something that is defective, then asking you to fix it, thus decreasing its value is a different concept.

To be honest the money is irrelevant, it's more the concept behind it.

#122 11 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I have never really damaged the underside of a playfield changing bulbs... so I am still not sure how having LED's really matters in that regard.
Thank you for the clarification. I still think your playfield underside will get grimy from play far before it becomes worn from rampant bulb changing, assuming it gets played a reasonable amount vs. just sitting on all day waiting for bulb changes.

I don't disagree; however, one is permanent (screw holes), while one is easily cleaned (grime).

Like I said, I like all LED machines because besides the grime, the underside of the playfield stays in basically the same shape forever. If you take your time you can also screw and unscrew without swiss cheesing things, but I have seen lots of machines where this isn't the case.

#127 11 years ago

Alright, had a free night last night so I decided to fix X-Men and play for a few hours.

First, I fixed the scoop, I took it off, bent it with a vice grips and put a Mantis in the scoop hole. Ball now goes on to left flipper 98% of the time, the other hits the bottom of the sling and falls onto the flipper.
Second, I did the post mod, which makes the Iceman shot much easier.
Third, I jacked the game up a quarter of an inch and leveled it in 7 spots, then set the feet. Magneto drops are down immensely.
Fourth I forced myself to the play the game, instead of quitting. I actually enjoy it quite a bit. The shots are not easy but after playing a for a few hours the flow of the game for me has improved immensely. I scored a 121MM in one of the later games.

Now for the things I don't like.

Got to Danger Room. I have no idea what is going on there. It makes little sense and is boring. Not great for something that is hard to get to. It is easy to score points, first one was 33MM and second was 38MM.

I still don't like the early game flow. Going for Dark Phoenix you hit target shots to start the game. I think something needs to be done here, hitting target shots over and over is a bit boring.

Back on Dark Phoenix, I think there needs to be a bit more done to make it reachable. Simplest change would just be to keep health of villians even if you lose.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Yoxxy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-x-mens-code-too-hard-for-the-average-player-to-enjoy?tu=Yoxxy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.