• 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by dung
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic poll

“Do LE machines extra features justify price increase?”

• yes. a few extra mechs/toys make it worth it and the BG and trim 10 votes
    40%
  • No , not worth it. pro should have same features but no special plaque or BG 4 votes
    16%
  • I would be happy with mirrored backglass, trim and plaque on a LE only 4 votes
    16%
  • Gotta have more, more more on a LE no matter what. 7 votes
    28%

(25 votes)

There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

After looking at the WWE pin I can't honestly see how there is a price difference from the pro?

Stern gets the trim and legs etc. In bulk. Would it cost them more than a few cents more to get them in gold. If any more at all?
An extra flipper. My star trek has 3. Why does this pro have 2, and the LE 3?
That flipper costs them nothing.

A spinning disc? What $40 more if it was retail. So stern pays what $5-10.

5"Lcd screen. $25 each from China.
Rgb led boards. Now mass produced. A few screws to install under the playfield and a plug.

It would take more labour to install each plastic socket and single led bulb, and cost more money to use the old method.

Biggest difference- mirrored backglass.still machines had them for years. Its old technology. It can't cost that much to do an LE # run.

Cabinet art. Printed decals. Same cost.
Platfield art. Just swap a few images. Same cost.

New boardset. Cheaper to produce, less wires, less labor.

There is only a very minimal cost difference in the LE than a pro. If any.
Other games have more features.

TWD- extra magnet. Lifting ramp, powdercoat. And rgb leds.
Still no real extra cost.

Sterns LE model is a joke.
I am no longer a Stern customer. But I hope others don't buy into the LE hype its B.S.

#2 9 years ago

To each his own, I suppose.

To me it comes down to:

1. More ring possibilities with the disc.
2. Seeing what Stern can do with an LCD as a stepping stone between DMD games and LCD-only games. (Assuming that this is their ultimate direction.)
3. The third flipper, though I do wish it had a dedicated shot.
4. Exclusive wrestlers in the code.

Once again it comes down to code like it almost always does.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from erak:

After looking at the WWE pin I can't honestly see how there is a price difference from the pro?
Stern gets the trim and legs etc. In bulk. Would it cost them more than a few cents more to get them in gold. If any more at all?
An extra flipper. My star trek has 3. Why does this pro have 2, and the LE 3?
Rgb led boards. Now mass produced. A few screws to install under the playfield and a plug.
It would take more labour to install each plastic socket and single led bulb, and cost more money to use the old method.
Biggest difference- mirrored backglass.still machines had them for years. Its old technology. It can't cost that much to do an LE # run.
I am no longer a Stern customer. But I hope others don't buy into the LE hype its B.S.

But, but, but...it has a numbered plaque. Seriously though, it's always been this way. I don't see the value over the added cost, but I am not Sterns target market, I have never bought new in box. Some of the LE versions I think are actually inferior to the Pro version in many ways, but people don't seem to have problems dropping big bucks on them.

#4 9 years ago

The pro will end up being the true limited edition on this one

#6 9 years ago

Yes, the LE is worth the difference.

#7 9 years ago

Totally understand your points, but let me just see if I can simplify...

It's an LE because it's a limited edition. As in they don't roll endless numbers off of the line. Not because it has a few thousand bucks worth of added technology. Nobody ever claimed that the cost differential is directly related to the tech and/or bling included in the box.

#8 9 years ago

I learned this lesson on TWD LE . Unless you want the numbered plaque the differences are not worth the price.

#9 9 years ago

I just think the LE versions are maybe worth about $200 more max than a pro. Just based on the Shaker and backglass.

There is no reason why they should be $2000 more. The price point should actually be the same.

Also. The LE title is useless. Because if stern wanted to they could just release a vault edition later.
No plaque obviously but who cares.

Did anyone care before the "invention" of LE's
If WWE LE is truely an LE. Than what does that make TSSPP?
Or IJ, or POTC. Austin powers etc. More toys and mechs. But they were pro priced

I guess if they had put painted trim on those and a plaque people would have said "take my extra $2000!, its worth it"
I don't think so. As pinball was struggling at that time.

Its too bad that Sten has sucked so many in. Because if there wasn't a LE model all games would be LE quality at the regular pro price.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from erak:

The LE title is useless. Because if stern wanted to they could just release a vault edition later.

Uhhh, you would be talking about a premium, and yes they sell those for cheaper.

#11 9 years ago

Was star trek LE really an LE, it had an led strip in the side that cost about $15, was Metallica LE an LE all that had was a $75 hammer assembly, was Mustang LE an LE all that had was a $50 car model and a couple of new songs, was Tron LE an LE all you got was an extra multiball some fancy $5 lights and drop targets, I could go on and on about is the LE worth it and to be honest WrestleMania has got more extra's then alot of previous LE's so do abit of research about what Limited Edition means, it means Limited Number Produced not what extra modes it has, I sware some people nowadays don't seem to get that

#12 9 years ago

I get what you guys are saying. But the LE's main selling point are the extra features for collectors.
Yes the plaque is an extra feature.

The price point does not actually reflect any more value in the pin.

Stern can still make LE's and add the mods they now started selling. Add a factory shaker and a plaque.
It still doesn't, will not, and never make it worth $2000 more.

A premium is in no way worth more $.

No one gave a damn about LE's untill Stern created this mythical creature for the collector and hyped it up to be something its not.

I know they say pinball is on a comeback. But I predict slimmer times coming for Sterns wallet. Due to code, price, and quality, customer disappointment and the cost of their move.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from erak:

I get what you guys are saying. But the LE's main selling point are the extra features for collectors.

I'm going to disagree with you. The LE's mail selling point is the "LE" part which is "Limited"

If it was the extra features that were the selling point it would be the "EF" edition.

It's a limited number run. Stern could take a pro, slap a plaque and certificate with it, and call it a LE. Same concept. Automated Services had a bunch of Iron Mans they got autographed and added shakers to and also did a huge bump on price over the standards. And people lined up to spend.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

I'm going to disagree with you. The LE's mail selling point is the "LE" part which is "Limited"
If it was the extra features that were the selling point it would be the "EF" edition.
It's a limited number run. Stern could take a pro, slap a plaque and certificate with it, and call it a LE. Same concept. Automated Services had a bunch of Iron Mans they got autographed and added shakers to and also did a huge bump on price over the standards. And people lined up to spend.

Im suggesting thats what they do. Just stick a plaque on 1 standard quality model. Let those that "just have to have it" fight over them. Because the fact that the LE has extra features and that also dictates the price is just a hook/scam to get people to buy them.

There is NO logical reason for a $2000 price increase. Specifically when looking at WWE

#15 9 years ago

OR...you could have not started this thread and just don't purchase an LE or prem......!!!................Joey

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Im suggesting thats what they do. Just stick a plaque on 1 standard quality model. Let those that "just have to have it" fight over them. Because the fact that the LE has extra features and that also dictates the price is just a hook/scam to get people to buy them.
There is NO logical reason for a $2000 price increase. Specifically when looking at WWE

Aha...you have stumbled on the magical part...how collectible something is often has ZERO to do with logic. It's limited so people want it. End of story. Makes no difference what features it has. It's limited therefore it's more desirable. It's not just Stern. It's auto makers, artists, you name it.....

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from erak:

This guy is looking for logic on pinside.....ohh man did you just make my day...!!!...........Joey

#18 9 years ago

It won't be an LE because the upcoming Premium will have close to the same features.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from erak:

An extra flipper.

It's not even really a full flipper from what I have seen..it's more like a plastic mounted to a mech. I still don't get the point why you would EVER intentionally want to knock a ball off a wireform into an uncontrolled situation unless the points is extremely lucrative to do so...

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

Aha...you have stumbled on the magical part...how collectible something is often has ZERO to do with logic. It's limited so people want it. End of story. Makes no difference what features it has. It's limited therefore it's more desirable. It's not just Stern. It's auto makers, artists, you name it.....

Great post....Borderlands come out for Xbox one soon....they are making a collectors edition for $500...all it has extra with the game is a little remote controlled robot..(claptrap)...A similar size remote controlled car is less than $50....I know I razzed you a bit but to be serious...I thought the same way as you at first...STLE was the first LE I played...I like you did not see the extra value material wise....you pay the extra $2000 for bragging rights...back in school it was the difference between Nikey's and buddy's....same amount of material in the sneaker...but you pay $100 for the swoosh....again...if it's not for you....just don't buy it..............Joey

#21 9 years ago

IMHO if Stern didn't sell a good batch of LEs for each game, the pro models would be more expensive. I think I read somewhere that Stern gets most or all of their R&D money back off of the LE models. That allows them to keep the pro costs down. So, the LE business model might actually be subsidizing the pro models a little bit.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from erak:

There is no reason why they should be $2000 more. ...
As pinball was struggling at that time.
Because if there wasn't a LE model all games would be LE quality at the regular pro price.

Maybe the extra margin on the LE's is the critical factor that lead to Stern still being an active pinball machine manufacturer?
My guess is that if it wouldn't have been for the LE's Stern would be closed down by now.

Still, to me the whole concept of the LE's is completely stupid from a customer perspective. Things are not sought after just because you write "Limited" on them an give them a number. Really rare collectors items contain value for other reasons, not because some marketing genius decided to slap a numbered plaque on them.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

Things are not sought after just because you write "Limited" on them an give them a number.

Ohh yes they are....Sterns LE pinball machines..............Joey

#24 9 years ago

Set up an le and this one is the most stacked le stern has ever done; it really is a le

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

Ohh yes they are....Sterns LE pinball machines..............Joey

Apart from TRON & AC/DC? TWD LEs can be bought for dumping prices and the other LEs don't hold their value any better than Premiums.

Maybe it's just me, but TRON LE was on my list just because of the lighted ramps - since there's a mod that does the same I will go for a Pro now of course. Still I'll be missing the Daft Punk mode, but not the "LE"-plaque.
I'm currently starting to look for a ST LE. LE only because of the added cab lights, not for the limited aspect. ST LE is very easy to find way below NIB price by the way, in relation to NIB even cheaper than a used Premium, at least here in Europe.

Not saying LE's are not sought after in general, just don't believe the limited aspect itself is the driver for demand. It's the added features or a especially well done artwork. Maybe it's different in the States.

#26 9 years ago

^^^...right....but the OP is saying that does not justify a 2k price increase.........Joey

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

It's not even really a full flipper from what I have seen..it's more like a plastic mounted to a mech. I still don't get the point why you would EVER intentionally want to knock a ball off a wireform into an uncontrolled situation unless the points is extremely lucrative to do so...

It actually is a full flipper, and attached to it is slam part allowing you to slam it off the ramp. 25%
of the time it sends the ball across the play field back into the shooter lane.

#28 9 years ago

I honestly think that the "LE" label on many car models are more of a stretch than in pinball. I can look at a WWE pro and an LE side by side and see obvious differences/upgrades. Several car makers seem to just throw an LE, LX, SE, GT, LTD, etc. label on cars with little to no visual difference from a "lower" model.

To each their own, I suppose. I guess I like having a the extra features and upgrades right from the factory.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from Fliptastic:

I honestly think that the "LE" label on many car models are more of a stretch than in pinball. I can look at a WWE pro and an LE side by side and see obvious differences/upgrades. Several car makers seem to just throw an LE, LX, SE, GT, LTD, etc. label on cars with little to no visual difference from a "lower" model.
To each their own, I suppose. I guess I like having a the extra features and upgrades right from the factory.

These abbreviations specify the cars "nature" and are not any indication of a "limited edition".

GT for example means "Gran Tourismo" (Great Tour) and refers to sports cars with added comfort for long distance driving.
LE = Luxury Edition, SE = Sports Edition, LTD = Little Technical Difficulties...

The differences don't need to be visible. Luxury Editions might just have a better package of extras like air condition or whatever. SE could just be a different steering wheel or harder suspension.

#30 9 years ago

The le on wwe is way different then the pro; especially with all the extra ramp returns from the mini playfield, the extra flipper, screen, spinning disc, and different skill shots too ohh and the gates at the top too

#31 9 years ago

I guess LE stands for Little Extra. But costs Big.

#32 9 years ago

This LE I urge people to play it some really wicked and different unique features

#33 9 years ago

Price difference won't matter until collectors stop buying them. Until then.....they will be built, and they will sell

#34 9 years ago

There are no mechanical differences between a regular and LE JJP pinball game....and yet the LE sells for $1,000 more. It's the exclusivity and collectivity that some people pay more for.

#35 9 years ago

Yeah JJP games are the same

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from erak:

I'm in for the few cents powdercoating, hook me up with your supplier!

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Or IJ, or POTC. Austin Powers etc. More toys and mechs. But they were pro priced

Those are all unlimited runs. WWE LE isn't. Why is this so hard to understand? You're talking about games that came out a decade + ago vs. now. It's a different era, different business climate for pinball....less locations, more collectors.

The LE concept was started to get collectors to buy games at launch at a higher price. Guaranteed units sold...the Pro is gravy profit. You may not like it, but it is what has kept Stern from tanking.

Quoted from erak:

I guess LE stands for Little Extra. But costs Big.

No, it means LIMITED EDITION.

They're making 400 of them.

Bill of materials is irrelevant. There are 400, and that's it. For some people, there's value in that. For some people, a few thousand bucks is nothing. There won't be a vault edition, because Stern doesn't remake LEs.

There might be a Premium - which would retain the LE playfield features....but will have a different art package/bling/collectibility factor.

Quoted from erak:

The logical reason is IT KEEPS THEM IN BUSINESS.

Take your armchair logic, and start your own pinball company. Have fun going bankrupt with Jpop and Skit-B. Stern is a business selling a product the world doesn't need anymore...and they're succeeding. There's your logic.

#38 9 years ago

Hey Greg, can we get a family guy Star Wars crossover pin?

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from erak:

I just think the LE versions are maybe worth about $200 more max than a pro. Just based on the Shaker and backglass.
There is no reason why they should be $2000 more. The price point should actually be the same.
Also. The LE title is useless. Because if stern wanted to they could just release a vault edition later.
Did anyone care before the "invention" of LE's
Or IJ, or POTC. Austin powers etc. More toys and mechs. But they were pro priced
I guess if they had put painted trim on those and a plaque people would have said "take my extra $2000!, its worth it"
I don't think so. As pinball was struggling at that time.
Its too bad that Sten has sucked so many in. Because if there wasn't a LE model all games would be LE quality at the regular pro price.

There were no shakers in the last LEs i bought . Last was TWDLE . And we pay €2700 extra for an LE over here .

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Hey Greg, can we get a Family Guy Star Wars crossover pin?

Don't get penis-y!

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Hey Greg, can we get a Family Guy Star Wars crossover pin?

As an LE? Why not? Hehe.

#42 9 years ago

I think everyone is misunderstanding the point I am trying to make.

I am not argueing that yes a LE = a # plaque and mirrored backglass. But before Stern created the LE platform the games had just as much if not more features at the pro pricepoint. There are lots of examples

So why does an extra flipper, spinning disc and mini lcd not exist on the pro.

Stern has now a cheaper to produce boardset. Led rgb circuit boards. Modular wireing. Less time in labour.
Yet they remove features that cost nothing to the overall BOM.
Just to label something a pro and a LE.

I could understand different powdercoat, a plaque and mirrored glass.
I can justify that in calling a machine a LE. But simple/common gameplay features. Come on. It still does not warrant a $2000 price increase. But others feel that is more than fair by some of the responses on here.

My point is there is no reason why the pro WWE should not have the 3rd flipper, disc and lcd.
It does not make sence $$ wise.

Other than its a marketing gimmick.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from erak:

My point is there is no reason why the pro WWE should not have the 3rd flipper, disc and lcd.

It's very simple: Stern was on the brink of going out of business. One way they saved it was this new model. The higher priced LE and Premiums subsidize the lower price point Pros.

I'm not crazy about the model myself, but it works, and I get it. If they stopped doing it, and just sold one kind of each game? They'd be more expensive across the board. I'm not sure people actually want that.

#44 9 years ago

You have a ST pro and there is a vast difference in yours and the LE. What is so difficult for you
to comprehend about their models? If you think you can do it better, make your own and show
everyone how your business plan works.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's very simple: Stern was on the brink of going out of business. One way they saved it was this new model. The higher priced LE and Premiums subsidize the lower price point Pros.
I'm not crazy about the model myself, but it works, and I get it. If they stopped doing it, and just sold one kind of each game? They'd be more expensive across the board. I'm not sure people actually want that.

They were NOT more expensive across the board before the LE platform was created.

Why would they be now with cheaper materials and less Labour? And computerized design.
3D printers for engineering prototype parts. Etc.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from erak:

I think everyone is misunderstanding the point I am trying to make.
I am not argueing that yes a LE = a # plaque and mirrored backglass. But before Stern created the LE platform the games had just as much if not more features at the pro pricepoint. There are lots of examples
So why does an extra flipper, spinning disc and mini lcd not exist on the pro.
Stern has now a cheaper to produce boardset. Led rgb circuit boards. Modular wireing. Less time in labour.
Yet they remove features that cost nothing to the overall BOM.
Just to label something a pro and a LE.
I could understand different powdercoat, a plaque and mirrored glass.
I can justify that in calling a machine a LE. But simple/common gameplay features. Come on.

IT makes sense $$wise or they wouldn't do it. OF COURSE it's a marketing gimmick! But it works! there's more $$$ in a pinball machine than the PHYSICAL parts. Remember - just a few years ago, they were down to 1 designer & 1 programmer and a skeleton crew. Now they have tons of designers and programmers and others...and a new building! Employees and rent cost money! Sure, their new boardset and wiring makes games cheaper to build - but what about the $$$ that went into the creation of the new boardset...R&D isn't cheap or easy.

You've never run a manufacturing business, let along a pinball one - and you're ranting about Stern's business not making sense while it's clear that EVERYTHING they do is done for a reason that absolutely makes sense. Honestly, I thought Pinside was beyond this type of rant.

If their "nonsense business" bothers you so much - go ahead and do it better.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from Banker:

It actually is a full flipper, and attached to it is slam part allowing you to slam it off the ramp. 25%
of the time it sends the ball across the play field back into the shooter lane.

Wierd. So do you then get another skill shot award/attempt if it goes in there?

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

IT makes sense $$wise or they wouldn't do it. OF COURSE it's a marketing gimmick! But it works! there's more $$$ in a pinball machine than the PHYSICAL parts. Remember - just a few years ago, they were down to 1 designer & 1 programmer and a skeleton crew. Now they have tons of designers and programmers and others...and a new building! Employees and rent cost money! Sure, their new boardset and wiring makes games cheaper to build - but what about the $$$ that went into the creation of the new boardset...R&D isn't cheap or easy.
You've never run a manufacturing business, let along a pinball one - and you're ranting about Stern's business not making sense while it's clear that EVERYTHING they do is done for a reason that absolutely makes sense. Honestly, I thought Pinside was beyond this type of rant.
If their "nonsense business" bothers you so much - go ahead and do it better.

Its not a rant. Its an observation that there is no reason for a LE to have less features other than a marketing gimmick.

I am not saying it doesnt work. It obviously makes Stern a lot of easy money. As it costs no real extra expense to produce a LE. Yet people seem to eat them up.

Obviously people who have the LE's think they are the bees knees.
And get offended if you personally think its only a gimmick.

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from erak:

An extra flipper. My Star Trek has 3. Why does this pro have 2, and the LE 3?

Pinball machines are wood and metal. I have trees in my back yard so the games i buy should be half price.

Most of the cost is the manpower needed to code in the use of the added functions. plus any custom tooling/assembly line setup for the LE run. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

-c

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from CraigC:

Pinball machines are wood and metal. I have trees in my back yard so the games i buy should be half price.
Most of the cost is the manpower needed to code in the use of the added functions. plus any custom tooling/assembly line setup for the LE run. If you don't like it, don't buy it.
-c

Stern, manpower, code.

Bahahah. Good one.

This thread is resolved.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.50
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 99.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-wwe-le-actually-an-le and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.