5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by TaylorVA
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is WOZ still too slow despite all of the updates?”

• Yes 25 votes
      24%
    • No 66 votes
      63%
    • I've never played the game so I cannot honestly comment 13 votes
      13%

(104 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 5 years ago

Hey,

I am very interested in potentially getting a WOZ and the new code update looks awesome! That being said, I talked to one of my distributors the other day and asked him what he thought. He said, it's really slow.

So that being said, do you guys think it's slow or not? I have not played WOZ ever so that may be a good first move. However, I love the workmanship and can clearly tell the game looks fun.

Thanks for your help.

#2 5 years ago

The speed depends in large part on how it is set up. That being said, how fast it is does not matter as much as how fun it is. I normally do not like wide body games, because I prefer a faster game. With WOZ I do not have the feeling of waiting on the ball because of the compelling rules, and break I get from the stacked multi balls, while your working with only one ball. YMMV

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from PEN:

The speed depends in large part on how it is set up.

Thanks. I purposely put it in the JJP forum so as to not start another Holy War.

#4 5 years ago

More added above^

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from PEN:

More added above^

Sweet thanks! That's kind of the way I looked at it when watching the latest videos. But, obviously having never played it it's tough to tell.

#6 5 years ago

It is slow to me. Compared to an Iron Man and a Tron for example its slow.
    But that's not always a bad thing.

#7 5 years ago

I played one on location and thought it was very slow, the one in my house plays fast because I have the pitch set pretty high. If you can find one buy it, its a great game.

#8 5 years ago

I would say it is certainly not the fastest pin but it is certainly not the slowest either. You need to shoot accurately to play it well and when you start stacking it is chaos (in a good way! )

#9 5 years ago

I watched the videos. But it seems to me that it aint fast, but it aint slow too.

It is much better then any of the 2, cause i think it sometimes plays slow and sometimes plays very fast. And maybe thats why i like the gameplay in the videos more then i was expecting.

The interval in speed in gameplay makes it interesting. (For me, i like it it)

#10 5 years ago

Slow, fast, stop-n-go, flow...these are all useless terms that don't mean anything unless looking at the overall context of a game. Does the game "feel right" within its own design and gameplay logic? That's what's important. WOZ never was and never will be a rampy/flowy/return to the flipper/combo game. Code won't change that. Does it need to be those things? Probably not. Do you need your games to be that way 100%? That's up to you.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

It is slow to me. Compared to an Iron Man and a Tron for example its slow.
    But that's not always a bad thing.

Yes, when you compare it to one of the fastest pins around like Iron Man, maybe. But that by no means makes WOZ slow. If you can actually make the difficult shots it plays extremely fast to me!! Practice more I guess.

Oh, and now that you can cancel video clips (in 3.0) to keep things moving, it palys even faster!

#12 5 years ago

Surely someone in FL has one you can play? Try it before you buy it!

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Surely someone in FL has one you can play? Try it before you buy it!

This is the best advice. Play one in someone's house to see for yourself. WOZ isn't a "fast and flowy" pin, but it isn't too much "stop and go" either. It is more "just right for WOZ". I have faster games and slower games in my house. That way I can strike the balance of what I'm in the mood for. When I'm looking for slap in the face speed, WOZ probably isn't it, unless it is during Rescue with ECMB stacked and I am begging for the game to slow down because everything is way too fast!

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Slow, fast, stop-n-go, flow...these are all useless terms that don't mean anything unless looking at the overall context of a game. Does the game "feel right" within its own design and gameplay logic? That's what's important. WOZ never was and never will be a rampy/flowy/return to the flipper/combo game. Code won't change that. Does it need to be those things? Probably not. Do you need your games to be that way 100%? That's up to you.

You and I agree on very little when it comes to WOZ but this is one of them, haha You hit the nail on the head about the game feeling right within its own design and gameplay logic. Would ACDC feel right if it was more stop and go with objective story based multiballs and some general story modes? Probably not and its awesome the way it is. WOZ wouldn't feel that great if it was super fast and lacked the story modes / objective based multiballs. What's nice is that with 2.0 and now 3.0 WOZ feels like a highly polished game that brings out the best qualities of the toys and playfield design.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

Hey,
    I am very interested in potentially getting a WOZ and the new code update looks awesome! That being said, I talked to one of my distributors the other day and asked him what he thought. He said, it's really slow.
    So that being said, do you guys think it's slow or not? I have not played WOZ ever so that may be a good first move. However, I love the workmanship and can clearly tell the game looks fun.
    Thanks for your help.

What version of code was he referring to?
    What was the incline of the machine?

I dunno if ver 3 "plays faster" than version 2....
    I *do* know that I've changed the pitch of a game by 2degrees and had it feel like a completely different machine (speed wise)....

But speed and flow are so subjective, does it really matter what ANYONE here thinks except you? Even if you have a make a couple hour road trip- it's worth it to play one before buying....it's not like your buying a TH where it's all guesswork- go find one!

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

This is the best advice. Play one in someone's house to see for yourself.

Personally, I thought WOZ looked slow from all the gameplay videos I had seen.

Then I played one. Bought one within a week.

Not slow, not fast, but a LOT of fun to play.

#17 5 years ago

I cranked up power to the slings so it's more like a Stern and that makes it feel faster now. And the pops are light speed, especially when they shoot between the flipper or toward the TOTO outlane.

#18 5 years ago

My flippers are factory and the game is stupidly fast.

#19 5 years ago

I had really thought all this slow nonsense had been put to rest long ago, WOZ is a lot of things but slow isn't one of them. Is it the fastest game ever made, no, but when you have 3 or 4 modes stacked you will be very happy that it isn't because the multiballs are wickedly hard to control as it is.

#20 5 years ago

I'd describe it as a fast, chaotic game with no flow. I love it.

#21 5 years ago

On a nice Fall day chopping wood can be invigorating, satisfying and good exercise... I hate chopping wood in the game room so no WoZ for me. Plus the theme... ohh that theme.

Hopefully title three is a theme I'm interested in and hopefully they learn something from Stern... make it fast and fun and concentrate less on all the eye candy, bells and whistles.

#22 5 years ago

Personally, I think WOZ is EXTREMELY SLOW - I mean, my game hasn't made it the few hundred miles from New Jersey to New Hampshire yet...

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

On a nice Fall day chopping wood can be invigorating, satisfying and good exercise... I hate chopping wood in the game room so no WoZ for me. Plus the theme... ohh that theme.
    Hopefully title three is a theme I'm interested in and hopefully they learn something from Stern... make it fast and fun and concentrate less on all the eye candy, bells and whistles.

Well Teekee, on that one I will completely disagree with you. WOZ never feels like "chopping wood" to me. If I'm not trying to finish a mode, I'm working on creatively stacking things to make it more advantageous to start them in an order I need them. I've always felt the "chopping wood" analogy was for games that you had to go through a ton of boring work before you are able to restart a mode. That isn't WOZ. I'm constantly holding off collecting things because when you pull off having 4 modes stacked and running together all hell breaks loose.

I'm totally fine with you not liking the game, and having a hate for little dogs. But if you really feel like WOZ is chopping wood, well I'm surprised you like playing pinball at all.

#24 5 years ago

Ask your self what you want in a game speed or toys. Toys slow a game down but can be fun.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from ek77:

Ask your self what you want in a game speed or toys. Toys slow a game down but can be fun.

yup. although WOZ isn't slow. ST is a good example of a game with speed (although still not as fast as LWJP), next to nothing on the pf (fewer things to shoot than many EMs, even!) and playing it really does feel like chopping wood (shooting the same couple of ramps and orbits and that single drop target over and over, to trudge through fungible modes).

OTOH WOZ always has a ton of stuff going on, and seems a lot busier now with the callouts an stacking everywhere.

#26 5 years ago

WOZ definitely plays "slower" then many other games. However, that is why in my opinion you diversify a collection.....slow, stop and go, fast, etc.....that is what makes the hobby fun in my opinion. Personally, there are times when I want to play IM because I want a fast game and time I play LOTR for a longer game. IMHO, you only need to make the tough decision if you want to concentrate solely on fast or slow games in a smaller collection 1-3 pins....in a larger collection I don't understand why someone wouldn't want a mix anyway.....I wouldn't want 12 IM like games anymore then I would want 12 WOZ games and I love both pins !!! When I look at my driveway I don't see 4 Lincoln Navigators I see 4 different types of vehicles......and I like my Navigator the best but all are for different uses and there are certain days when I want to drive the big SUV and some when I want to drive the little car....LOL !!! Diversity makes life more fun in my opinion (some days I feel like going to a sports event, some others boating or playing golf or pinball.....focusing on just one thing for me is boring and the same goes for playing all similar style pinball machines).....just my opinion......the only thing I feel you don't use diversity is with your WIFE.....LOL.....not unless you like living in a hotel and saying goodbye to your pinball machines !!!

#27 5 years ago

I suppose it is slower than some of the others. But its not like an old school wide body where you wait for the ball to cross over 36 inches of open space. There is a lot of realestate taken up by bumbers, rollerovers and other stuff to make it feel a little smaller than it is.

Once your have the multi ball going its anything but slow. Trying to set up your next bonus on the upper playfield while trying to keep the other balls going keeps me coming back to this one. I have yet to get that 1Million score.

#28 5 years ago

i am a pin-newb, suck at pinball in general. but it doesn’t feel "slow" to me (but that is subjective) and I certainly never get bored playing it with all that it has going on. I agree with everyone else tho, If you can, go try it somewhere, im sure someone is willing to let you try theirs if you cant find it on location.

#29 5 years ago

Still slow? That's like asking "Do you still beat your wife?"

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

It's more like asking if a mans wife is still ugly.The difference being, some things can not be changed.

#31 5 years ago

To me widebodies in general feel "slow" and I normally shy away from them. Of all the widebodies I've been able to play (TZ, STTNG, IJ, DM, JD) WOZ is the most enjoyable to me. By the laws of physics, widebodies are generally going to be slower than a standard pin. But why not find one and play it??

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

My flippers are factory and the game is stupidly fast.

Seriously?

I don't see how anyone could describe WOZ as "stupidly fast".

Like RareHero says, it doesn't have to be fast to be fun, as long as the other elements come together. But "stupidly fast" it is not.

#33 5 years ago

I had mine setup up steep. It was fast. Not stupidly fast, but fast enough. The thing that annoyed me most was the outlanes gobbled up a lot of balls. I loved the toto feature and hated TNPLH.
    Anyways, yeah you can make WOZ fast. Put the back leg levelers up as high as they go. Put the front ones down as low as they can go and wax the the playfield.

#34 5 years ago

Not every game has to be a Steve Ritchie rocket fest.

WOZ is the right speed for a family theme game that will have appeal to women and children.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

I had mine setup up steep. It was fast. Not stupidly fast, but fast enough. The thing that annoyed me most was the outlanes gobbled up a lot of balls. I loved the toto feature and hated TNPLH.
    Anyways, yeah you can make WOZ fast. Put the back leg levelers up as high as they go. Put the front ones down as low as they can go and wax the the playfield.

the outlane thing annoys me too, moving the posts this weekend as others have suggested.

with the added options to TNPLH I actually kinda sorta like it now, its no longer an annoying long task that i'd rather give up on, lol.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

Plus the theme... ohh that theme.
    Hopefully title three is a theme I'm interested in

I don't think they're going to be making a My Little Pony pin anytime soon.

#37 5 years ago

I kid, I kid.

#38 5 years ago

I always find people's perception interesting. I find WOZ requires way more of my attention then many "faster" games. When every shot feeds to the flippers, it gives you so much time to look up or hold a conversation with other players.

WOZ needs a lot of my attention. I use to feel I needed more breaks. 2.0 fixed that with the hurry up magnet hold. I was happy that the game got slower.

#39 5 years ago

Thanks for all the responses. The game looks really good and I'm looking for a second game for when I move into my new place. I may have to go over to Orlando in order to play it.

#40 5 years ago

I find WOZ punishingly fast at times due to the exposed pop bumper. I have my game at a fairly steep incline though. As someone else mentioned, it's a random chaotic speed as opposed to a ramp return to flipper or orbit (flow) type of speed.

You can dial down the strength of the pop bumper but I like the way it shoots the ball back at you at different angles.

#41 5 years ago

I think you should find a pin that has the latest version of the software (3.0 as I write this). The latest software gave me the greatest game play "joy" and it really pulls a lot of things together. I know it made a lot of difference to game play for me. People that play my WOZ usually say one thing when they walk away from it...."addicting". That says a lot.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

I find WOZ punishingly fast at times due to the exposed pop bumper.

Exactly. Any fast ball speed on WOZ comes from the pop.

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

it's a random chaotic speed as opposed to a ramp return to flipper or orbit (flow) type of speed.

^^^^^^

left orbit shot, tree bumper action, witch magnet all create some fun chaotic flow!

#44 5 years ago

Worthless poll. People need to play it and stop judging it on the .94 code....

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Not the same at all. You don't go to jail for owning a slow / boring pinball machine.

#46 5 years ago

WoZ plays a little faster than most Bally / Williams. Or about pre-Avatar/IM Stern games; that's about when Stern upped the power on the flippers and started putting the sling shots into overdrive.

So, think Batman, Family guy, Ripley's, etc. All well designed games for the speed of the machine.

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from 2RustyBalls:

Not the same at all. You don't go to jail for owning a slow / boring pinball machine.

Woosh.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Apparel - Men
    Great American Pinball
    $ 39.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 44.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 29.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 24.63
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball-Mods.com
    $ 67.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 229.99
    $ 99.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 400.00
    Boards
    Great American Pinball
    $ 159.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 400.00
    Boards
    Great American Pinball
    Apparel - Unisex
    ArcadeMade
    $ 87.00
    $ 40.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 1,400.00
    $ 219.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside