WeChat Image_20210225134520 (resized).jpg
WeChat Image_20210225134509 (resized).jpg
WeChat Image_20210225134413 (resized).jpg
wonka3 (resized).JPG
wonka2 (resized).JPG
wonka1 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
E9259131-977E-4078-9B8C-CD11D4122930 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dung.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#107 3 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I disagree here. I think it’s more that this hobby is full of sheep and macho dudes that want macho themes. As soon as there was a whiff of doubt and displeasure with Wonka (about theme, rules, whatever) a lot of people tuned out immediately (OMG, they changed brat Multiball to kid! I’ll NEVER buy this!! Nobodies lips are moving! Nothing is in sync! Aarrggghhj!!).
It takes time to get familiar with a complex game with a deep, well integrated ruleset, and few people bothered to take the time or couldn’t. Factor in playfield issues (and the attendant self righteous factor) and it snowballs. And with so many other games to choose from, it makes sense Wonka slid.
But now people have played it, experienced the theme integration and understand the rules. People realize it’s a great freaking game, and they want it. Duh. Compared to what other machines cost and deliver, Wonka is a no brainer.
There are more “pinball moments” in Wonka than any game I can think of. And it’s definitely a world under glass. Isn’t that what everyone wants? It also might be Lawlor’s best flowing game. In history. The positives outweighs the negatives by an order of magnitude.

Different people have different tastes. I don't like Wonka, had to play it in league. Doesn't float my boat.

People on here are sheep. There are patterns to values and desirability.

Game is announced to first few weeks/months its the greatest thing ever. All other games are now inferior.
People figure out the code has issues. Maybe it is just scoring imbalances, bugs, etc. The game takes a slow dive down the top 100. Code updates may slow or stop this, but typically the game loses interest as newer games come out. People dump the game so they can be other titles, prices go down. Once it stops being available new, prices spike for awhile. Good games, the price stays up, but otherwise it is a temporary spike while the stragglers who wanted it, but didn't buy when it was new scramble.

Other things that drive values, history of the game (BBB, TBL before production started back up). Flavor of the month (Radical getting attention streams jack its price up).

#119 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Play it more... I am a decent player and play tourneys here and there ( at least I did pre covid)
I didnt like it either until I spent real time learning it.
Its not a game you can play 10 times and get whats going on and why its works.
Its a great mix of hard and easy shots and can be a ballbuster.

Kind of a shitty response.

To someone who has owned 100 plus games, been in the hobby over a decade, and was playing it in league over a period of months. Your opinion is invalid, you need to play more, is bullshit.

No. It is not. My opinion isn't the end all be all, but it is valid. Over the last five years I'd lump it in with stranger things as my biggest disappointments.

#124 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Wasnt meant that way... It was a suggestion since I was in the same boat as you.
I didnt like it either until I had one to play for a month or so.
Your opinion is totally valid not everyone is going to like everything.
Im just suggesting you give it another shot since to me its the best game of the last 5 years.

Given it enough shots to know. I can see why some like it. I don't. To me I would much rather spend my time on Houdini, which is less popular, but to me more satisfying.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 86.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 64.00
$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

15,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 32.99
Machine - For Sale
Daytona Beach, FL
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dung.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-willy-wonka-sold-out?tu=dung and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.