WeChat Image_20210225134520 (resized).jpg
WeChat Image_20210225134509 (resized).jpg
WeChat Image_20210225134413 (resized).jpg
wonka3 (resized).JPG
wonka2 (resized).JPG
wonka1 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
E9259131-977E-4078-9B8C-CD11D4122930 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TheFamilyArcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 3 years ago

I picked up a well modded SE at a very reasonable price - $7,200 - and so glad I did. I don’t care if it goes up or down. And I don’t care that there’s a small amount of pooling and a tiny chip on the playfield that isn’t viewable by the player.

What I DO care about is the outstanding, unique, euphoric gameplay. Im just in awe of this gorgeous game. A veritable feast for the senses.

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

The call outs are so bad, I would really consider the CE just for that. Not even joking. It’s much improved with her call outs. Those effects though can’t be changed in any version and are quite possibly the worst in pinball. Kids always want one in my house due to theme alone so it’s always going to be popular. Layout and flow is amazing

Totally disagree. I like the custom callouts on non CE’s and think the “old man” narrator fits the theme perfectly. And Wonka’s music and sound effects are terrific.

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Transformers, Alien and The Hobbit are standouts to me, of course all of those were done by legendary David Thiel.

Cue Rarehero to shit all over the voice work on TF. Lol. I thought TF music and callouts were also awesome.

#104 3 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

What I found hilarious is the fact that Wonka's been out for what, 2 years? And everyone jumped on it this past week when rumors of "it's out of stock!!!" started flying and then they all of the sudden had to have it. Definitely good for distros with dusty stock as people fight for all the CEs that were still out there.

I disagree here. I think it’s more that this hobby is full of sheep and macho dudes that want macho themes. As soon as there was a whiff of doubt and displeasure with Wonka (about theme, rules, whatever) a lot of people tuned out immediately (OMG, they changed brat Multiball to kid! I’ll NEVER buy this!! Nobodies lips are moving! Nothing is in sync! Aarrggghhj!!).

It also takes time to get familiar with a complex game with a deep, well integrated ruleset, and few people bothered to take the time or couldn’t. I shake my head at owners that give up on a game like Wonka after a couple hundred plays (or less). You don’t know shit after 200 plays. Strategy options on Wonka are off the charts. Im still learning after 4 months of constant play.

Factor in playfield issues (and the attendant self righteous factor) and it snowballs. And with so many other games to choose from, it makes sense Wonka slid.

But now people have played it, experienced the theme integration and understand the rules. People realize it’s a great freaking game, and they want it. Duh. Compared to what other machines cost and deliver, Wonka is a no brainer.

There are more “pinball moments” in Wonka than any game I can think of. And it’s definitely a world under glass. Isn’t that what everyone wants? It also might be Lawlor’s best flowing game. In history. The positives outweighs the negatives by an order of magnitude.

#113 3 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

I like Wonka just fine. I play it regularly. I’m not knocking the game. I liked it the first time I played it. Classic Lawlor layout. But, everyone jumping on it in literally the last three or four days has been humorous.

Jjp’s laughing all the way to the bank I guess. Not sure what’s so humorous about it. What was humorous is all the people buying Zep LE unseen and without playing it. And justifying $5,600 for the barren Zep pro. That’s downright hysterical.

And so are all the people coming in here questioning - or even caring - that Wonka’s are selling out, let alone finding it amusing.

#128 3 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

Wow, you guys are defensive. I want JJP to succeed. I’ve bought 5 of their games NIB. I generally like them. What I found humorous was all the people that jumped on Wonka in the past few days. Everyone didn’t just discover the game finally this week. The code didn’t change. They just got caught up in the hype and went from Wonka not even being on their radar to furiously searching for a CE for $12k+.

What hype? Is the creation of this thread “the hype”? Where is this hype of which you speak?

Slowly, over the course of 2 years people have come around to the fact that Wonka is good. That it’s bad reputation was overblown and undeserved. I did so myself 4 months ago. I was negatively influenced and got over it. Thank goodness, or I wouldn’t own one of the most enjoyable pinball machines I’ve ever played.

In the last month, it’s become obvious that pinball production is behind (or non-existent cough, cough) for all manufacturers. People want games. Wonka’s were available so people bought them. And now they’re almost all sold. Same with DI. I’m sure a bunch of crappy Stern games (that distros have in inventory) are selling too. Lol. The market is hot and there’s limited supply. People are even blowing up Kiss! (Note: I like Kiss).

I’m not seeing hype, but if people want to hype Wonka, go for it! It totally deserves it. It’s earned it.

#131 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Congrats!
Also, don't use clamps!

If only there were a more innovative - and protective! - way to ship a machine!

It’s a miracle these games get anywhere in one piece!

1 week later
#229 3 years ago
Quoted from indybru:

I decided to keep my SE, as I just couldn't justify the extra 6 k; Will put topper on, some mods and probably pinstadiums.

Same here, decided to keep my SE might upgrade if they rerun LE's.
My justification topper wouldn't fit with low basement ceiling, cabinet wouldn't show much with games crammed together, I added mirror blades, have wonkavator, added lighting in back. Also have gobstopper shooter and LE back glass. Great game.
Let's call it a souped up SE.

Where is the backglass available? That is sweet.

2 weeks later
#257 3 years ago

Kid MB is such a great mode. Haterz don’t get it, and I couldn’t care less.

#265 3 years ago

The factory layout is hard because the game can drain a lot when it’s in the mood to. Still, long games can and do happen.

The main reason the game is so challenging - and maddening! And FUN! - is because there are a million ways to play it, and a zillion strategies, and trying to stick to one is practically impossible because you have so many choices and it’s so easy to get caught up in the moment and totally abandon your strategy. I feel like Sybil playing this game.

To really succeed in this game you need to be disciplined. Otherwise, just hope you get one of those mayhem balls where a bunch of things are happening at once - stacked- and all hell is breaking loose and your score goes through the roof!

#268 3 years ago
Quoted from SBrothers:

Nail on the head!

If loving WW is crazy I don’t want to be sane!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

15,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 64.00
Machine - For Sale
Daytona Beach, FL
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 32.99
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

9,600 (OBO)
$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 25.50
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TheFamilyArcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-willy-wonka-sold-out?tu=TheFamilyArcade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.