WeChat Image_20210225134520 (resized).jpg
WeChat Image_20210225134509 (resized).jpg
WeChat Image_20210225134413 (resized).jpg
wonka3 (resized).JPG
wonka2 (resized).JPG
wonka1 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
E9259131-977E-4078-9B8C-CD11D4122930 (resized).jpeg
There are 284 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.
#51 3 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Transformers, Alien and The Hobbit are standouts to me, of course all of those were done by legendary David Thiel.

Ok I agree with all three of those as being great.

#52 3 years ago

I just bought my CE about 2 weeks ago. Classic Gamerooms or somesuch out of GA.

I am with the votes AGAINST the sound. First off. The play is AMAZING! I always have a blast with it. But the sounds have been kneecapped by the licensing lawyers at Warner Bros.

- Most "songs" are just muzak renditions.
- Missing Candy Man
- Missing I want it all
- Missing real Varuca Salt. Yes, I like having the actress in there, but it feels like I got the takehome edition of the Price is Right instead of my new car.
- Missing oopla loompa songs. Yes, pop bumpers say oompa. But I'd almost rather have the Addams Family graveyard sounds than be reminded I can't listen to the real tune.
- Golden ticket musak plays on loop. Getting to a new mode is my goal just to avoid that.
- The display panels are one grade below a Nokia phone from the 90s. You can complain here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-can-we-talk-about-replacement-lcds

+ Gene Wilder is godlike and I would pay for a machine that just has him reading the classified ads outloud.
+ Wonka tunnel section is awesome. And we have Gene doing his creepy singing. Gold.
+ Wonkavision fits the theme so well. I wish they'd done more with it instead of just instructions but hey.
+ Ramps feel like I'm floating. And the right ramp is the best thing since Bear Kicks by Lawlor.
+ Office is cool with half-lit areas. Nice touch.
+ Kid magnet is super dope. Never done a pin where I get to set a shot.

= animations on screen are passable but sometimes look like Dialed-in which is basically slot machine graphics.
= Sounds get a little slotmachine like but are passable.

It's a good game. I still have a love/hate relationship with it. But I do think everyone who can try it should try. There's really no pin I've played recently that does what it does. Lawlor is still godlike.

#53 3 years ago

I just checked and Classic Game Rooms still has a couple in stock.

At least they do as of now.

https://www.classicgamerooms.com/pinball-machines/jersey-jack-willy-wonka-the-chocolate-factory-collectors-edition-pinball-machine-detail.html

#54 3 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Cant go wrong with a JJP.

#55 3 years ago

Dupe

#56 3 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

Kind of hilarious all the people that bought a CE in the past week or two. Very strange buying pattern. I guess everyone is assuming JJP can't re-run any games since they can't meet current game demand in a timely fashion.

JJP is a very small company and can only make around 45 games a week, with very few workers. They are in the tiny assembler category that Spooky is in (Spooky has 19 people). In contrast, Stern’s output is 75 games or more a day and they have hundreds of workers.

#57 3 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

JJP is a very small company and can only make around 45 games a week, with very few workers. They are in the tiny assembler category that Spooky is in (Spooky has 19 people). In contrast, Stern’s output is 75 games or more a day and they have hundreds of workers.

I understand this, but I wouldn't assume JJP is not going to re-run games at different times. Maybe they will, maybe they won't, but they certainly didn't come out and say they won't. Also, I wouldn't call the a "very small" company like say Spooky (who is small by design). Who's to say JJP doesn't ramp up the production numbers? I'm sure they want to sell all the games they can.

What I found hilarious is the fact that Wonka's been out for what, 2 years? And everyone jumped on it this past week when rumors of "it's out of stock!!!" started flying and then they all of the sudden had to have it. Definitely good for distros with dusty stock as people fight for all the CEs that were still out there.

#58 3 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

I understand this, but I wouldn't assume JJP is not going to re-run games at different times. Maybe they will, maybe they won't, but they certainly didn't come out and say they won't. Also, I wouldn't call the a "very small" company like say Spooky (who is small by design). Who's to say JJP doesn't ramp up the production numbers? I'm sure they want to sell all the games they can.
What I found hilarious is the fact that Wonka's been out for what, 2 years? And everyone jumped on it this past week when rumors of "it's out of stock!!!" started flying and then they all of the sudden had to have it. Definitely good for distros with dusty stock as people fight for all the CEs that were still out there.

Good points. However, JJP has been going as a company for nearly 12 years now and still a tiny company. So don’t think much is going to change as far as that goes. FOMO is what is driving sales for all companies at present. Judging by JJP history and the fact that they only have 2 designers and their past record, they are going to stay a tiny company for the foreseeable future. It would take an enormous investment by the new owners to ramp it up much further. Unfortunately Stern is never going to have a real competitor out there, because Stern has all the pinball talent and George Gomez, which is huge for them. Basically, Stern has all the elements and even people from the days of Bally/Williams.

If JJP were to create more games and have many versions like they’ve done with WOZ and Hobbit, FOMO will not be a factor and sales will stagnate like they have in the past for JJP. Remember, POTC wasn’t selling well at all until they announced they would not make it any further, because no one wanted it. I was at a big show presentation that Jack gave and he asked for a show of hands in a full room of people, how many were going to buy POTC? Only one person raised their hand.

The same is true for Wonka, few wanted it, till it was understood no more are being made. By pinball numbers terms, all JJP games have been quite dismal sales wise. Only WOZ which was so much lower in price $6500 has ever had any sales numbers of any significance. GNR had the scalpers out in force, hence the CE’s being snapped up, since they didn’t want to miss out, like they did on POTC. There is going to be a glut of GNR’s for sale in the future, after the honeymoon is over and people want to move onto the new shiny.

#59 3 years ago

I’ve had this game for a year and a half and this is my highest score lol

6476B4AB-2913-49CD-886C-D28232332458 (resized).jpeg6476B4AB-2913-49CD-886C-D28232332458 (resized).jpeg
#60 3 years ago

I agree too that GNR will be plentiful.

But what about Wonka?

I dont understand the hilarity. Maybe people were waiting for later runs to avoid the PF issues? Maybe buyers have finally gotten around to pl

Quoted from DrJoe:

Quoted from Thunderbird:

Good points. However, JJP has been going as a company for nearly 12 years now and still a tiny company. So don’t think much is going to change as far as that goes. FOMO is what is driving sales for all companies at present. Judging by JJP history and the fact that they only have 2 designers and their past history, they are going to stay a tiny company for the foreseeable future. It would take an enormous investment by the new owners to ramp it much further.
If JJP were to create more games and have many versions like they’ve done with WOZ and Hobbit, FOMO will not be a factor and sales will stagnate like they have in the past for JJP. Remember, POTC wasn’t selling well at all until they announced they would not make it any further, because no one wanted it. I was at a big show presentation that Jack gave and he asked for a show of hands in a full room of people, how many were going to buy POTC? Only one person raised their hand.
The same is true for Wonka, few wanted it, till it was understood no more are being made. By pinball numbers terms, all JJP games have been quite dismal sales wise. Only WOZ which was so much lower in price $6500 has ever had any sales numbers of any significance. GNR had the scalpers out in force, hence the CE’s being snapped up, since they didn’t want to miss out, like they did on POTC. There is going to be a glut of GNR’s for sale in the future, after the honeymoon is over and people want to move onto the new shiny.

#61 3 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

There is going to be a glut of GNR’s for sale in the future,

Only time will tell. Look at Addams Family, given the number that are out there they don't seem to change hands very often. And GnR is really a whole new type of pinball experience. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but you can't find a game like it anywhere. Unless people run out of money or space I think GnR's are gonna find a lot of 'it's bolted down' owners.

#62 3 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Only time will tell. Look at Addams Family, given the number that are out there they don't seem to change hands very often. And GnR is really a whole new type of pinball experience. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but you can't find a game like it anywhere. Unless people run out of money or space I think GnR's are gonna find a lot of 'it's bolted down' owners.

100% agree with that assessment of GNR

I doubt there will many CEs that pop up for sale.

Like you said, it’s a bolted to the floor game. No other experience like it

They are gonna run and sell a ton of LEs for a long time coming. Even at the higher price

#63 3 years ago

just when you think this hobby couldnt get any Wilder, $12,500 willy wonkas are finding their way onto peoples Bucket lists. i can still remember playing games where we used to get a Slugs worth.

#64 3 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Haha ow my balls , isn’t that from idiocracy ?

#65 3 years ago

Funny I was thinking the same thing.

Quoted from Oneangrymo:

What about Wonka you guys keep talking about GNR. Bolt on floor game or not?

#66 3 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Funny I was thinking the same thing.

What about Wonka you guys keep talking about GNR. Bolt on floor game or not?

Wonka is never going to be a high demand game or one people bolt to the floor. It shoots well but many issues that kept me from buying one. Wonka shoots way better than GNR imo, but GNR is the better all around package of the 2.

#67 3 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

The movie clips are fine. Specifically the sounds that irritate me are the steam kettle sound after hitting the gobbstopper and another one that sounds like mud being pulled through a tube. The announcer sounds like he is talking in his quiet voice to a three year old. The constant Wonka theme being played is grinding after awhile but maybe there are breaks from it in certain modes. Maybe if I pick up an SE one day on the second market, I can let the gameplay and rules win me over but not forking out $12500 plus shipping unless I love every aspect of it.

Bingo

#68 3 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Wonka is never going to be a high demand game or one people bolt to the floor. It shoots well but many issues that kept me from buying one. Wonka shoots way better than GNR imo, but GNR is the better all around package of the 2.

Agreed!

#70 3 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

I agree too that GNR will be plentiful.
But what about Wonka?
I dont understand the hilarity. Maybe people were waiting for later runs to avoid the PF issues? Maybe buyers have finally gotten around to pl

The hilarity, from my perspective, is the group-think behavior. Nobody was chasing the game two weeks ago. The game hasn’t changed with a code drop or whatnot since then. All of the sudden, everyone wants it, even if it means paying $12k+ for CEs! Just because others want it. Yep, hilarious.

#71 3 years ago

12k+ is just hilarious in a way in general so I hear ya

Quoted from DrJoe:

The hilarity, from my perspective, is the group-think behavior. Nobody was chasing the game two weeks ago. The game hasn’t changed with a code drop or whatnot since then. All of the sudden, everyone wants it, even if it means paying $12k+ for CEs! Just because others want it. Yep, hilarious.

#72 3 years ago

I kind of noticed that most of you JJP experts here only have Stern games?So now anybody who thinks this game is just great is just confused by all the hype and the shiny lights.

#73 3 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

It's a great game that people who take the time to learn it end up really liking.

Wonka, like POTC, suffered from the Pinside hater effect at launch. And as with POTC people are coming around to realize it's actually really good.

#74 3 years ago

The group think really starts when it was launched.... the bitchfest on here was strong.

People just wrote if off based on other peoples opinions and the miles of complaints about playfield issues.

Turns out Wonka is their best playing game... whooops.

The backlog of negative commenting on it (mainly from people who never played the fucking thing) was so strong that for the last year when I talked up the game people thought I was nuts.

#75 3 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

12k+ is just hilarious in a way in general so I hear ya

But its signed by the original cast! Charlie!

#76 3 years ago

On the flip side look at GNR.... lots of hype up front but I have to admit I didn’t love the gameplay in general. Amazing still

Quoted from Elvishasleft:

The group think really starts when it was launched.... the bitchfest on here was strong.
People just wrote if off based on other peoples opinions and the miles of complaints about playfield issues.
Turns out Wonka is their best playing game... whooops.
The backlog of negative commenting on it (mainly from people who never played the fucking thing) was so strong that for the last year when I talked up the game people thought I was nuts.

#77 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

It's a great game that people who take the time to learn it end up really liking.
Wonka, like POTC, suffered from the Pinside hater effect at launch. And as with POTC people are coming around to realize it's actually really good.

I like Wonka just fine. I play it regularly. I’m not knocking the game. I liked it the first time I played it. Classic Lawlor layout. But, everyone jumping on it in literally the last three or four days has been humorous.

#78 3 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

I like Wonka just fine. I play it regularly. I’m not knocking the game. I liked it the first time I played it. Classic Lawlor layout. But, everyone jumping on it in literally the last three or four days has been humorous.

Yeah that's what I mean.

#79 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

So now anybody who thinks this game is just great is just confused by all the hype and the shiny lights.

Finally we agree on something.

#80 3 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

On the flip side look at GNR.... lots of hype up front but I have to admit I didn’t love the gameplay in general. Amazing still

yah it was interesting how crazy it went the other direction on GNR.

I think Led Zepp gave the bitch and moaners something to focus on and get out their inner pinball rage

maybe its too hard to hate two games at once?

#84 3 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Look at Addams Family, given the number that are out there they don't seem to change hands very often.

Because it's so good.

#85 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

yah it was interesting how crazy it went the other direction on GNR.
I think Led Zepp gave the bitch and moaners something to focus on and get out their inner pinball rage
maybe its too hard to hate two games at once?

Lol. Prob right Elvis! I got stiffed on my Wonka CE so I just thought it was fate.

Last call for alcohol. What do people do? They race up to the bar whether they need another drink or not!

#86 3 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Only time will tell. Look at Addams Family, given the number that are out there they don't seem to change hands very often. And GnR is really a whole new type of pinball experience.

People will get sick of it just like they get sick of everything and when something new comes out they'll need the money and space. There will indeed be a ton of these trading hands in the not so distant future, just like every other big-selling game.

#87 3 years ago

I played Wonka on site and really enjoyed it but oh man that theme and Gene Wilders face on the backglass. I just could not have it in my gamesroom.

#88 3 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Yes it is, one of the great missed movie experiences that describe our last 4 years like it came from Nostradamus

#89 3 years ago

I think there may be another factor at play with the run on Wonka and that is the run on JJP in general. As the hobby is growing (thanks Covid) games are back ordered from the Stern & JJP and going for record $ NIB. No one wants to wait 3 - 9 months so you look around for what is currently available.
Meaning used and NIB. And people are saying to themselves I want a great game to wow my friends & family and the games that do wow like no other are JJP. They all want JJP games. That means WOZ, TH, DI, POTC, WW, GNR. All the JJP titles are hot now. The rarer the hotter. JJP hasn't made that many games in total so really all JJP games are in short supply and high demand. Last week it was POTC for 20K now people are thinking I can get a New CE for 12.5 or a used POTCLE for 20K. All of a sudden 12.5 doesn't look so bad. Send me a WonkaCE cause it is the only JJP you can order and ship today. This is when FOMO kicks in, JJP says we are out. People say whaaaa? I was kinda wanting one. Better get it for its gone else I'm gonna have to settle for a used JJP from the list above or wait an eternity for GnR.

But my original point is Pinball is surging and the surgers want JJP. Wonka is the only JJP game NIB you can buy and have it ship today, while supplies last.

#90 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Like you said, it’s a bolted to the floor game. No other experience like it

Just a few years ago, I said that about a bunch of classic games... Thankfully, JJP and others have been raising the bar. I'm hoping Toy Story will be better than GNR.

#92 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

People will get sick of it just like they get sick of everything and when something new comes out they'll need the money and space.

Not the Iceman, he has that Texas oil money.

#93 3 years ago

Too funny.

I so want this game, now that I can't get it!

If JJP announced they were making another 1000 in the next week or two, the bubble would go pop!

#94 3 years ago

When games get hard to find we forget all the little things.

Wonka, only as the example here, had a huge boost by those who saw it prior to release. From a Kaneda to Zach and all the rest, it was the best theme, game, world under glass ever. Then, I went almost a year before even seeing one at a show or retail shop. That’s a long time in the “new and shiny” department.

As games began to trickle out in the JJP way of manufacturing, people had little issues that reduced their enjoyment.

- missing some key music
- missing full songs in certain places
- slot machine sounds during typical gameplay
- playfield chipping, peeling etc. ( this is really bad on a nib game from any company)

If you read this far with pout automatically hitting thumbs down, I'm not here to put it down. I think it’s a nice game. I would love to spend some time with one. I do, however, understand by it didn’t fly off the shelves.

#95 3 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

When games get hard to find we forget all the little things.
Wonka, only as the example here, had a huge boost by those who saw it prior to release. From a Kaneda to Zach and all the rest, it was the best theme, game, world under glass ever. Then, I went almost a year before even seeing one at a show or retail shop. That’s a long time in the “new and shiny” department.
As games began to trickle out in the JJP way of manufacturing, people had little issues that reduced their enjoyment.
- missing some key music
- missing full songs in certain places
- slot machine sounds during typical gameplay
- playfield chipping, peeling etc. ( this is really bad on a nib game from any company)
If you read this far with pout automatically hitting thumbs down, I'm not here to put it down. I think it’s a nice game. I would love to spend some time with one. I do, however, understand by it didn’t fly off the shelves.

The price jumps / desirability of Wonka and (of course) POTC are only due to their rarity, not gameplay. Meanwhile there's a billion MMR / MMRe in the wild and their price keeps going up DUE to gameplay.

#96 3 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

The price jumps / desirability of Wonka and (of course) POTC are only due to their rarity, not gameplay. Meanwhile there's a billion MMR / MMRe in the wild and their price keeps going up DUE to gameplay.

I’ve played a lot of MM and it’s funny as fuck but it’s not the shooter and half the game as Wonka is

#97 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I’ve played a lot of MM and it’s funny as fuck but it’s not the shooter and half the game as Wonka is

Way less code, but is more approachable to many more. Casual players like to bash things not hit flowing shots w/complex rules.

#98 3 years ago

But they won’t announce that.

I only bought new cause I couldn’t find a used one locally. Dont think I’ll ever buy a game used without seeing it and never felt comfortable sending that kind of cash to private party without being in person.

I also bought it cause I like the game. Funny how people who have never played this game like to comment on why people are buying it.

Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Too funny.
I so want this game, now that I can't get it!
If JJP announced they were making another 1000 in the next week or two, the bubble would go pop!

#99 3 years ago

Way less code, but is more approachable to many more. Casual players like to bash things not hit flowing shots w/complex rules.

Most of us here are not casual players that’s why we buy pinball machines so we can play them everyday!

#100 3 years ago

So the judgement here is that one game is better and holding more value because it’s more approachable with less code and appeals to the casual players who just likes to bash things?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.25
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

15,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

There are 284 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-willy-wonka-sold-out/page/2?hl=thunderbird and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.