10 months ago

Topic Stats

• 1,675 posts
  • 289 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by dmarston
  • Topic is favorited by 54 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 88 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

E954BEC0-5DC8-4126-9728-9BCB2A69E5CA (resized).jpeg
33C80C44-46D9-4775-9F9C-E114C6B847DF (resized).jpeg
C7368F43-57C5-4CA8-A8E7-734245471778 (resized).jpeg
20387095.gif
E2747705-4CA2-4AFE-BF00-B85EF92619BA (resized).png
758A96BC-36FB-40CC-8E02-A779752ADA82 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20190406-213645 (resized).jpg
DA775D10-7FEA-45FE-868E-03588ADC4221 (resized).jpeg
210CF818-78CE-450E-AC94-F94B77AEFC5C (resized).jpeg
ww (resized).png
tJ ww (resized).jpg
tom-and-jerry-wizard-of-oz-post[1] (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190405-152058 (resized).png
E38A78B8-E018-43E8-AD8A-7C1DCEA56704 (resized).jpeg
i-just-cant-quit-you (resized).jpg
CECFBC5F-1A12-4E0A-A29A-639B29A49B8B (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vireland.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#62 10 months ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I don’t think that’s what current DI owners are hoping for?

I don't think that's what former DI owners are hoping for, either.

#63 10 months ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I'm hoping they reveal when they are ready to ship, within 2-3 weeks, whenever that might be. Revealing at shows is pretty much useless unless you can deliver shortly after. No point in revealing something but shipping 9 months later. The hype train dies after 2 months.

hype-train-fail (resized).jpg
#83 10 months ago
Quoted from JY64:

WOZ is done the games in the hands of distributors are the last WOZ

Seems very unlikely since Jack has repeatedly referred to WoZ as his "evergreen" license and he just renewed it again 2 years ago. Isn't there a Yellow Brick Road edition about to hit? Maybe you got it confused with Hobbit. Hobbit IS done.

#88 10 months ago
Quoted from JY64:

Three WOZ have been made all LE games for a total of 4000 I believe if they are still building games it is with little demand as the first 1000 games sold back in 2011

Apparently the demand is good enough for Jack to call the license "evergreen", keep renewing it, and supposedly have a new Yellow Brick Road edition coming out. No idea who told you WoZ is done, but they're wrong.

And they weren't all LE. That run for Automated has standard stainless lockdown and side rails.

#95 10 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

That would be a slap in the face to Dialed In owners and a disservice to the game itself. The games layout should belong to Dialed In and Dialed In alone. A lot of people are not fans of rethemes either as they feel less value is being offered as all of the design work is already done yet the price is the same (or higher) then the original game.

I cannot see Lawlor recycling a whole game of his. He recycles elements of his ouevre all the time, but a whole game? Never. He managed to strongarm Jack into moving the headphone jack to people's knees where it makes no sense for god's sake! That should give you a sniff of their dynamic. He's definitely not going to be cool with Jack recycling a whole game design of his, and definitely not so soon.

#97 10 months ago
Quoted from JY64:

I have said that over and over I believe if they do not cut prices they are done

You saying it doesn't make it true. That said, I don't think there's much room for more price increases over the next couple games. $10k delivered is a pretty hard ceiling.

#105 10 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It’s like nobody around here has ever heard of Shrek before.

A> Eww.
B> That was Pat's "desperate days" with Stern. So maybe he did something he may not do again. He had FAR less say in the Stern period than he does at JJP.

#108 10 months ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

If JJP want to be around a bit longer, they might start looking at the things that keep pinball in the minds of average players like is there any real end to this machine, or does it just go on and on and on and on...

I really, seriously think JJP needs to look at the way Stern implemented casual mode in GoT for location play because it just WORKS. Turn it on and the machine gives you a middle of the road setup and you can bash away on things. And if you know how to play the game and want to bypass casual mode the pin has a marquee every couple minutes that tells you to hold the lockdown bar button to start advanced play. Win-win.

If jjPotC had a casual mode, it could just choose one of the well-known characters and a subset of the modes with more prompts to help players. Would be a very good addition on location. For home use, leave it off, no big woo.

#109 10 months ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Wow never heard anybody say Dialed In was an over cooked GB LE.Same old thing,nothing new,what the hell do you need.Maybe Deeproot has the answer to your pinball needs!

I don't know about GB, but DI is essentially a B/W greatest features mashup. That's not a bad thing. I just wish it was less tedious. Adding Chaos multiball was a help, but it's still dull after months of playing it a lot. The location earnings fell off a cliff after the first month and never recovered, so at least the players we catered to agree.

#111 10 months ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

I don't think it's really a factor. That's just more work, and these machines are too expensive for 90% of locations.

I don't disagree, but Jack keeps saying he wants to expand JJP location visibility. This would help with that without a huge cost/time committment.

#114 10 months ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

The story I heard (back in 2008) was sales on FGy were so slow, they needed something to justify all the work and money they spent on developing the mini playfield and thats what prompted Pat to seek another theme. Dont think DI falls in that category yet and hopefully Wonka will be brandy brand new layout. Rethemes suck from a players point of view.

Technically Borg has been re-theming and mirroring the same base design for like 10 years. Hopefully Munsters does indeed break that streak.

#120 10 months ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Holy crap you’re a broken record on this topic, despite being told repeatedly the reason for that decision.

Well, it's an easy point to make for influence over good design because it's flat-out terrible design. Plus Jack specifically said to my face he gave in because Pat wanted it there. So, it's relevant to this subject about Pat's level in influence in JJP decisions as well.

#121 10 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

So much negativity in this thread from people just wanting to discuss JJP's next game. Another train wreck of a thread.

Jack is doing great things with JJP. It's not a straight line to greatness and the pinball business learning curve is steep so there will be mistakes (see:headphone jack above, Hobbit), but pinball is much better with JJP in the game than out. Much.

And I personally cannot wait for all three of the next pins. Wonka, Toy Story, and GnR 2020. JJP doing them says they're in good hands.

#133 10 months ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Jack's not an engineer. It's where it is because it wouldn't go anywhere else, and they wanted to save money on the doors and leave room for a dollar bill validator. What particularly pisses me off is you've been told this OVER and OVER and you still go ON and ON without changing your tune like you've got your fingers in your eyes going "LA LA LA".
Just, ugh. Stop it. You are wrong, accept it.

Fingers in my eyes to stop hearing the excuses? That's a new one.

They can have good reasons for terrible design, but that doesn't make it good design, it just makes it bad design as a result of cost-cutting. Face to face, Jack said Pat wanted it there, and I took it for what he said. Why would he lie about that? Besides, at the manufacturing level, the cost differential for a headphone jack insert plate that matched what they have on WoZ and Hobbit is not that much - I checked into it with one of the chinese manufacturers I deal with once after someone gave me the cost excuse a couple years ago.

#164 10 months ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

He's trolling.
GB was repeatedly said to be a half arsed attempt to pull the rug out from under DI, after details of it were leaked years before it launched. Hence a few layout similarities and the shitty Ecto Goggles vs Quantum Theatre.
I can't believe anyone familiar with both games and pinball generally would prefer or imply that GB of any description is a better game than DI. GB has all sorts of issues with its design, and some really boring, bad, buggy rules and code.

The license is the deal. In the case here, at least, except for the first month Dialed In was out, Ghostbusters Prem destroyed DI earnings (and still does). Casuals love it.

#190 10 months ago
Quoted from Join_The_Cirqus:

Jack was nice enough to show me some Pictures of the WOZ YBR Edition on his phone at IAAPA
The game looks really beautiful and there are some nice features that give this version a different feel.
If you are a buyer for the Pin, I think you will be very happy with what will be sold
PS, Jack also told me the Next Pin is Pats and is a Standard Body Style..

So back to Toy Story next then.

#192 10 months ago
Quoted from Vdrums:

Why does a standard body indicate it's not WW?

It's more that Pat's not doing WW AFAIK, so Toy Story.

#197 10 months ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Did it ever cross your mind that as JJ builds their experience, their team, networking system, part suppliers, distribution and more that they could at some point be in a position to produce more than one game every year and a half? I would bet its not super profitable releasing games so far apart. I would bet you'll see more standard games come from JJ with a mix of epic wide bodies. Again that is my assumption.
But here is what I'm betting the house on... JJ was working on several titles while working on Pirates. I'm betting you will start to see at least 2 games a year from here on out from JJ. I'm also betting that you'll start to see 2 games a year from Chicago Gaming.
All these companies do not have the experience of Stern who's producing 3 or 4 games a year. But these other companies can get to 2 game a year and I'm telling you I think that is exactly what you'll see.
Do you really think Chicago Gaming was messing around with Monster Bash and didn't have another game being developed right beside it?
I hope you see the point. So the main point here is if JJ can release a game between NOW and Texas Pinball I'm betting it won't be Toy Story because Toy Story 4 is June 2019. Who wouldn't want to plan that game for a release around when that movie comes out. If you think JJ can't walk and chew gum then bet on Toy Story June 2019. If you really think that Toy Story won't be a wide body, which I woudln't bet on, and your sources tell you the next game isn't a wide body then I would think you'd see another game between now and June 2019.
Again this me using common sense.

Jack's been trying to get on a 2 machine a year schedule for the last 2 years - at least. Pirates really messed that up, just like Hobbit did as well. Pinball is hard.

WANTING to do something hard and achieving it are two different things. Jack'll get there, but his timeline and reality are often at odds.

#199 10 months ago
Quoted from Join_The_Cirqus:

Who is to Say Pat is not on Toy Story and Willy Wonka......

Me. Too close together to have the same designer on two in a row at that level.

2 weeks later
#235 9 months ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

WW is the only title they most likely have full license to release, so it stands to reason it’s the next game. TS won’t have Hank’s or Allen’s voice work, so count that one out as being next.

Hanks has his brother do the bulk of his voice work in ancillary media projects around the movies, so it would not surprise me if he did the Woody voice work in the pin. His brother sounds very similar, so that's fine. Tim Allen, though...dunno.

3 weeks later
#298 8 months ago
Quoted from Coz:

If the rumors are true, they NEED to release Toy story next. Toy Story 4 comes out in a few months and from a marketing and sales standpoint- it needs to be next. Hopefully they will make a smart business decision and will have a way to market the pin alongside the movies release.

GnR has a new album (and probably a tour) in late 2019. The tour they just finished is the second-highest grossing of all time at $500 million. They have a lot of fans worldwide. I could see JJP swapping back Toy Story to next to catch the movie, and then GnR after that in the fall to line up with the album and tour, and pushing Wonka to 2020.

3 weeks later
#342 7 months ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

All you DI trolls, please stay out of this and all JJP threads (lol). We don’t need your nonsense here (lol). DI theme is the only thing you can bash, because you know Dialed In plays the best out of any game made. Has the most ball interactive toys. The most shots. Buttery smooth flow, and on and on. So the only thing you can bash is the theme. Which is not a weakness either. It is so well integrated into the table.
BTW, if you’d only open your narrow minds a little, you’d realize the theme is awesome, unless you don’t like all the disaster or campy sci-fi themes of the past. Dialed In stands tall in the theme business and it is refreshing to have an original theme, instead of all the copy and paste movie themes out there. Grow up and stop bashing the best pin ever made just over the theme. You and I know there is nothing else you can say negative about one of the best pin’s ever made. At the very least it is in the top three of all time. No I don’t work for Jack, lol. But he is a friend of mine.

The theme is fine, but the game is boring after a while. Even with the newer code, it's just too repetitive. Earned like crap after the first few months and was sold on the route I help with. I don't hear any operators saying it's a top earner these days.

#344 7 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Even the best shooting pins may not earn well on route, all depends on location, how the game is setup, etc. I was reading a route related thread the other day and one guy said the Hobbit was a terrible earner and another guy with 25 pins or so on route has Hobbit as their #1 earner.
I'll say this, I was very critical of Dialed In after the initial reveal and thought I would never own one. Well, I bought one NIB last year and it's probably my favorite pin in my collection at the moment. It's an incredible shooter, the code is very deep with unique rules, animations on it are some of the best in pinball, and it's loaded up with some very cool toys and features.

We ordered one for the route the day it was announced, and I was very excited to get it. It did very well on the route for the first month or two, then fell off a cliff. I think it was the repetitive nature of the progression that turned people off over time (me included). Adding Chaos multiball partway through the mode progression helped break things up, but it's too much mode-mode-mode-mode-mode, still. Plus elements of the playfield weren't really integrated into the story and actual gameplay that well. I still think it's a solid entry for JJP, but WoZ is still their best effort to date. Hopefully Toy Story and/or Wonka finally best that.

#358 7 months ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Not sure who is on TS, but Pat is on WW

I don't think so. Pretty sure Toy Story is his baby, and it was originally supposed to come out before Willy Wanka.

#360 7 months ago
Quoted from lurch:

So... More conjecture for two more months? I will pay someone to sit outside JJP with a camera. I cant take it anymore!

Slugworth?

#389 7 months ago
Quoted from valgalder:

I'm pretty sure there will be no munchkins anywhere seen in the game due to obvious reasons.. so not sure how the songs will be integrated?

There are no munchkins in either Willy Wonka movie.

#436 7 months ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

It should be only an LE. $8,500 and it’ll sell like hot cakes. Standard, LE, CE makes no sense, with little differences, other than paint. Or if they do this as before, limited LE to 500, not 2500. Even Stern knows this is not good marketing.

The JJP CE roughly maps to a Stern LE and has smaller limits. The JJP LE maps to a Stern Premium, except JJPs is limited and Stern's is not. The JJP Standard maps to a Pro.

#438 7 months ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

I know that, but my point is Sterns playfields reflect different options, not just paint. Like Munsters Pro has no lower PF, etc. If that were JJP, they’d all have a lower PF the way they build them. Good for standard, but not compelling to buy higher than an LE. LE not compelling because 2500 is not really too limited, like Sterns 500 LE models.

I actually like that JJP gives you the whole game at all trim levels, and if you pencil out the jump from Standard to LE, the parts are worth pretty much the difference in price. They aren't bending you over for a nicely-appointed machine.

#440 7 months ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

I agree from a consumer standpoint, but from a business viewpoint, Stern’s model works well, because LEs sellout sight unseen almost.

At $1000 less and minimum 1/4 as many units. JJP is perfectly happy selling 4x as much product at $1000 more per unit, from a business standpoint.

#455 7 months ago
Quoted from lurch:

Believe me, that would be on my list too! Rumors are usually correct, so im gonna say this is a very long shot!

It's happening, but is almost certainly 2020. JJP is backed up because of the Pirates delays. They pretty much have to go Wonka, Toy Story 2019/2020, GNR 2020 even though Fall 2019 GNR would make the most sense as they are launching a huge tour.

#461 7 months ago
Quoted from dluth:

I’ve had it on location along with a MMR so it’s interesting to compare their relative earnings. Over a time period of 12 months, DI has earnt 59% more than MMR. There was no doubt a bit of the curiosity factor early on drove coin drop and over the last 6 months the gap has closed to 16%. But it’s still beating the number 1 rated game most months after a year.

But is it a top earner now? Beating the #1 rated game is not the same as beating the #1 earner, or even being a top 3 earner. On a route it doesn't matter what a game is rated by hardcore players, only what it earns.

#463 7 months ago
Quoted from dluth:

Yes, most months it is the top earner. MMR has beaten it 2 months out of the last 6. DI won January by $26.

That's pretty much the exact opposite from the experience on the route here and with US OPs I've talked to. But then again, that makes sense given that you're in the upside-down.

We'll keep trying JJPs on the route I help with, though. Even though Hobbit and Dialed In didn't have staying power, WoZ still does great (though it's been off route when I did the 2.0 update). Wonka, Toy Story, and GnR should all be winning themes on route.

#477 7 months ago
Quoted from beergut666:

A lot of pinball people probably have no idea what it is, but I think Katamari would make a pretty cool theme for a pin. You could create some good risk/reward factor by shooting shots to build up your katamari to a certain size and cash it out or keep shooting to for a bigger pay out the more shots you hit in a mode, kinda like the "Crank it up" modes in Metallica.

Problem with Bandai Namco is there are literally dozens of licenses much better known that would likely sell a lot more.

#495 7 months ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I must have wrote that wrong. Wasn't implying I had this idea, I was saying what if the speculation is true? I can't fathom JJP suddenly releasing 2 pins in the same year when they can barely push out one game every 2 years. there HAS to be some sort of shortcut.

Pirates backed up their release schedule, so they have stuff that's been done or close to done for a while. Would be nice to see Jack finally achieve his two games in one year goal at last. He's been trying to get there for 2 years, at least, but Pirates disc-gate was the latest fly in the ointment.

#530 7 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

You say that, but how much did Supreme sell for?

The Supreme pin sold for a much more reasonable multiple (~4x usual) than the brick (~100x usual) that Supreme fans bought, too. The pin was a relative bargain compared to the brick based on markup.

1 week later
#899 7 months ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

When did GNR "unofficially" jump in front of TS in the queue?

If true, I approve of this move.

#909 7 months ago
Quoted from Pinballocd:

I approve as well!!! Bring on GNRNIYLTLE

JJP should offer an Axl and a Slash edition with special touches on each to set them apart.

#914 7 months ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

they made two rolling stones machines and four? star wars machines. i dont get the appeal of GNR today, but at the same time look at what the data east are selling for these days.

5 Star Wars. There was the Hankin Empire Strikes Back one.

#990 6 months ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

anyone know when they're going to reveal the next unknown game

There are few unknowns as upcoming pins are usually uncovered well before they're announced. So, probably...never?

#1089 6 months ago
Quoted from Coz:

I heard a rumor that JJP has acquired The Matrix license. Anyone else hear this?

As long as th3y stick to the first movi3, I compl3t3ly approv3 of this machin3, but with th3ir backlog, what is this, a 2021/2022 r3l3ase?

#1106 6 months ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Not all upcoming titles will appeal to everyone, but at least one theme should appeal to most. With Matrix thrown into the mix, JJP has upped their cache’. With enough themes offered, I may one day own 5 JJP’s.
WOZ - yes
Hobbit - yes
Dialed In - no
POTC - yes
Wonka - yes
GNR - no
Toy Story - no
Matrix - yes

Haven't heard anything about Muppets on JJPs schedule for a LONG time. Wonder if they dropped it.

#1113 6 months ago
Quoted from whitey:

Whatever version don’t want it !
Come on jack grow a pair !

A pair of Wonkas? We don't need BOTH versions! Just the Wilder version will be fine...

1 week later
#1208 6 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

There's also the cost of developing high quality animations for a larger screen and integrating the animations with code, music, etc.

I think that's a bigger cost than the screen. They have incredibly polished UI and animations on all their titles, and that ain't cheap to develop.

#1210 6 months ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

As a cohesive "art package" I find Stern has a long way to go. But, if you compare it to JJP, JJP's screen is just wonderful. Laid out well, consistent and makes sense for the most part. Maybe I just don't what Stern is going for..?

Stern is going for "just good enough." Always. And sometimes they don't even hit that. Remember, in the B/W days, they were the sad second choice company. They only became the leader because they were all that was left.

#1219 6 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

Because past delays taught them to announce when the games are coming down the line.
LTG : )

I'm totally down with them waiting until they have some built and can start delivering within a month of the reveal. Makes WAY more sense than letting hype die down over 6-12 months after the announcement.

#1236 6 months ago
Quoted from tacshose:

Shit if YBR is the ULTIMATE WOZ then I’ll have to buy it and if WONKA hits it out the park WOZ style my budget for 2019 is going to go quick.

Supposedly it will be MORE expensive, so maybe they have some new mechs in it to make it even crazier? I can't imagine how...

#1237 6 months ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Trailer looks good but, man, do they really have to show the whole movie in the trailer nowadays?

Pixar's pretty good about giving a meaty trailer without giving away too much of the actual movie.

#1243 6 months ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

I think, first off, we have got to acknowledge the fact the main character is Sporky the Clown, a real “KFC in your face” moment that oddly makes me hope he ends up in the landfill. Pixar, although virtuosic masters of heart-stringed instruments, may have launched this foray into the PCU missing a “C” and may end up part of a small, but growing pile of P U that started with Cars 2&3, the good dinosaur, and Finding Dory. The trailers for those movies were a hard sell as well.

God I hope it isn't Cars-anything-like. They all sucked.

#1244 6 months ago
Quoted from JY64:

No $9500 to $9999 game will ever be a hit even if it is GOAT

The simple fact that you said "ever" makes that statement suspect. If pinball survives, inflation will eventually make your statement false.

#1251 6 months ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Forgive me if there is an obvious answer to this question; I don't follow threads and specifics due to work and family life. But....
When and where would one expect that JJP would announce their next game? I'm stoked about the prospect of a Wonka machine. So much so that I've been playing clips from youtube on our TV to annoy the wife and *hopefully* wear her thin before the game is released. I've never bought a NIB pin, but Wonka may be the first. The possibilities for the machine seem awesome.....

It will likely be announced within the next 60 days since they're not doing it at TPF.

#1274 6 months ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Jacks shit is too high even if it is leagues better than Stern.

Stern has done too much cost reduction and JJP has not done enough. I think JJP could cut some corners and still have a fine product that is substantially better than Stern build quality and presentation while removing 15% of the cost to keep the machines in low earth orbit. They should do that ASAP.

#1288 6 months ago
Quoted from PinJim:

I really don’t like that idea. They build the Cadillac for the higher end market. If WW happens, my expectation is toys and complexity. Stern can build the Chevy models....

If you do the cost reductions right, they won't be in noticeable places. Stern's displays are WAY crappier than JJPs (I'm not talking size/res, but build quality), but they still do the job fine. JJP is wasting money with the display they're putting in theirs they could reduce costs there and no one would really notice/care, because the job would be the same. I'm not saying take away GAME ELEMENTS. I'm saying do the basics common to all the machines better at less cost and try to design out the costs of the stuff specific to the new machine(s) as they're being designed.

#1289 6 months ago
Quoted from ChrisThePintern:

Keep bitching and moaning while the rest of us have fun. Excited for the future!
[quoted image]

He needs a mad-hatter type tag in his hat band that says "11 1/2" as a very topical inside joke.

#1291 6 months ago
Quoted from JayDee:

I see what you did there
Unfortunately that number might have to be higher when the game actually comes out

I don't think it will be highter. The volume on Wonka will be much higher than YBRWOZ, so if they even try that high again, there's a big margin boost in there.

#1293 6 months ago
Quoted from JY64:

Listening to people trying to justify JJP prices after each price increase gets funnier and funnier

At least it's funny. Stern's ridiculous cost reductions are cutting bone now and their prices are still increasing. Same idea, less funny reality.

#1295 6 months ago
Quoted from JY64:

In the last 7 years Stern $4200 now $5200-$5600 JJP $6500 now for the same game minus the best toy $11,500

You left out the cost-reduction part of that equation. They've taken at least half that price inflation additionally out of the cost side by cost-reducing the crap out of their releases, even the LE's which should be the "deluxe" machines.

Plus street price, you could get the original release Stern Spiderman which is essentially equal to a Premium build for $3300 that's now more than double that street AND much crappier build quality. 100% price increase in 10 years. Jack's still less than 100% in 8 years, IF $11,500 is for ALL pins and not just TBRWOZ. I tend to think it's an R rating fakeout.

#1299 6 months ago
Quoted from JY64:

So do tell how has Stern cut cost since AC/DC and how has JJP games gotten better since WOZ

The point is JJP has not cost reduced in any noticible way, while Stern has cost reduced the cabinet wood, playfields, plastics, brackets, electronics, power supply, translites, pretty much no area has gone untouched. You don't need specifics - 2019 Sterns are noticibly lighter than 2010 Sterns. I know, I move them all the time.

#1307 6 months ago
Quoted from JY64:

So how did they cheep on plastics playfields ect be specific. Now when you look at JJP games after Woz no uper playfields till POTC and how did that go. A game about a phone and before you try and tell me it is a disaster game explain selfie mode and emoje mode. Molded figures on pops getting fewer main toys being a rehash popup trolls no more monkey JJP is cost cutting time to admit it

Look, you're not stupid. You know many of the ways Stern has cost reduced over the last 10 years - we ALL do.

But I'll give you one plastic example - the drop target shelves. We usually don't see them nor think about them, but they have been made paper thin compared to what they used to be. They break now, where I have machines that are 30 years old where they've NEVER broken. I never even replaced one on ANY machine until Game of Thrones. Hidden cost reduction to save, what, a penny?

Cabinet wood is SUBSTANTIALLY crappier and that happened sometime around the KISS run. You can FEEL the difference in screw bite pre-KISS and post-KISS, and it's likely the reason for the rash of split cabinets since then.

But again, I'm not buying your dumb game. YOU know where the bodies are buried, as most people here paying attention do. Stern has cut costs substantially at the expense of customer's machines AND STILL RAISED PRICES 100% in 10 years. So forgive me if I don't jump on JJP for doing the most minor of cost reductions. They have a LOT more to do to even be in the same universe as Stern (and I hope they never go that far).

#1325 6 months ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

I'm wondering if WW will be announced sometime around MGC and Toy Story will be announced at Expo in October.
Two games a year, correct?

Wonka Spring, GnR Fall, Toy Story early 2020. Muppets is still technically on the list that predicted all the other originally leaked games, but I kind of hope JJP has canned that one. They also supposedly have Bandai Namco distributing their games in Asia now, which could mean a Dragonball or One Piece or...gulp...GUNDAM licensed pin might be a possibility.

#1326 6 months ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

I'm with you; WW is an odd theme to choose, given - above all - the age of its target market. The movie was released in '71, and while plenty of children saw/enjoyed the movie at revival houses years *after* its initial release, the majority of Wonka fans are likely to be sixty or older. Sure, plenty of sixty-year-olds buy pinballs, but is it truly enough to justify building a pinball to cater solely to them? An executive at JJP got it into his head that WW made sense and somehow persuaded the brass there to go along. Not smart. Don't get me wrong: I love Gene Wilder and there is plenty that is heartwarming/charming/eccentric/unique about the film, but a pinball based on it seems like a bad idea. I will wager that it will sell poorly. If Pat is designing the layout, his services are being wasted - and how many more layouts is he likely to design?

WoZ was a seemingly weird choice, too, but it's easily the best-selling pin JJP has done, and is STILL selling. I dogged on WoZ all during its development and love it now. A great pin is a great pin. The cream rises to the top eventually.

#1357 5 months ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I wonder how many YBR's are left? Any distributors actually sell any yet?

Moderate pace from what I've heard. They'll have no problem selling 200. 500 may take the rest of the current license, though.

1 week later
#1620 5 months ago
Quoted from arcadem:

Adding to all the speculation here re. game features, it would be cool if the game had a topper modeled along the lines of a Wonkanator with Willy, Charlie, and Grandpa Joe figures inside it and RGB lighting that pulsed to the music. I could see that as a feature at least on the CE (Ala the POTC CE's glass bottle ship topper).

Most of the toppers suck, with just some blinky lights. Game of Thrones and AfM are the best in class, the JJP PotC bottle is an honorable mention. All the rest need some mechanical action, especially if they're asking $400! Unfortunately, it's going the wrong way, with most of the recent ones being lame row of plexiglass, and that's it. Maiden's Trooper one is a hulking mass of molded plastic just to have some blinky lights. It doesn't DO anything. Boring.

#1621 5 months ago
Quoted from newtoit:

Any chance JJP puts 5 golden tickets in random machines for a chance to tour the factory with him?

You can pretty much do that for free if you ask real nice, can't you?

#1664 5 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

CGC is sending me ! Great news.
LTG : )

So they need extra help for the Cactus Canyon Continued unveiling?

Now all you need is 2 feet of snow and everything will have worked out perfectly.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 12,500.00
$ 189.00
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 99.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vireland.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside