11 months ago

Topic Stats

• 1,675 posts
  • 289 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by dmarston
  • Topic is favorited by 54 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 88 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

E954BEC0-5DC8-4126-9728-9BCB2A69E5CA (resized).jpeg
33C80C44-46D9-4775-9F9C-E114C6B847DF (resized).jpeg
C7368F43-57C5-4CA8-A8E7-734245471778 (resized).jpeg
20387095.gif
E2747705-4CA2-4AFE-BF00-B85EF92619BA (resized).png
758A96BC-36FB-40CC-8E02-A779752ADA82 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20190406-213645 (resized).jpg
DA775D10-7FEA-45FE-868E-03588ADC4221 (resized).jpeg
210CF818-78CE-450E-AC94-F94B77AEFC5C (resized).jpeg
ww (resized).png
tJ ww (resized).jpg
tom-and-jerry-wizard-of-oz-post[1] (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190405-152058 (resized).png
E38A78B8-E018-43E8-AD8A-7C1DCEA56704 (resized).jpeg
i-just-cant-quit-you (resized).jpg
CECFBC5F-1A12-4E0A-A29A-639B29A49B8B (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iloveplywood.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#387 8 months ago

Willy Wonka is an A+ theme for me. It's a movie that creeped me out as a kid but was subversively enjoyable in college. The oompa loompa songs alone would almost make me buy the pin. It's a great JJP theme as well, I just wish I didn't have to wait three years to be able to have one. Hopefully worth the wait.

2 weeks later
#702 8 months ago

It struck me as kind of strange to have JJP host a deadflip stream if this game is done being produced forever. Unless this is just a good faith move toward dealers to help move remaining stock. Or maybe they just wanted to show the game off. Who knows, I guess.

My only issue with the game is that it seems very chaotic/multi-ball focused. This isn't a bad thing, but I'm not positive it's my personal favorite kind of game. It does seem like an awesome multiplayer game outside of maybe the long ball times.

Overall, just a great looking game with a lot of unique features and cool code. The people involved in making it should feel proud despite the hiccups along the way.

1 week later
#910 7 months ago

I think a year with Wonka and GNR would be amazing for JJP as it seems like people who don't like Wonka are going to be more likely to gravitate towards a GNR theme. Plus, GNR fills a niche in for JJP theme-wise that they aren't hitting yet. Wonka and Toy Story seems somewhat redundant for the same year (though I like both themes better than GNR personally).

#1046 7 months ago

I don't have the pictures and I don't want them. I don't want to know. In fact I so strongly don't want to know that I wouldn't even open the pictures if they were sent to me. So if anyone has an urge to share what they know, but at the same time keep their integrity you could probably just send them to me. That way you satisfy the urge to share without the guilt. In a way it would be a mistake not to send the pictures to me.

3 weeks later
#1260 6 months ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I bet WW and TS will be north of $10k

Sigh, I hope not. Even $8500 is really too much for me, but I might have been able to talk myself into something stupid for Wonka. I can't go any higher for that, though. At 10k we would be looking at 9K used ones. Oh well, I just played a metallica pro and had an awesome time on it. Lot of fun games out there to be had under 6K.

#1337 6 months ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

I'm with you; WW is an odd theme to choose, given - above all - the age of its target market. The movie was released in '71, and while plenty of children saw/enjoyed the movie at revival houses years *after* its initial release, the majority of Wonka fans are likely to be sixty or older. Sure, plenty of sixty-year-olds buy pinballs, but is it truly enough to justify building a pinball to cater solely to them? An executive at JJP got it into his head that WW made sense and somehow persuaded the brass there to go along. Not smart. Don't get me wrong: I love Gene Wilder and there is plenty that is heartwarming/charming/eccentric/unique about the film, but a pinball based on it seems like a bad idea. I will wager that it will sell poorly. If Pat is designing the layout, his services are being wasted - and how many more layouts is he likely to design?

Time will tell on the theme, who knows. But just as a counter I'm 50 and loved the film. My younger brother is 40 and his friends know of the film and love it. It's also a movie that lots of people actually really enjoyed twice: once as a kid and then again as a college student for all of its craziness (much like BM66). Now, if it's not popular overseas I can see that being an issue.

I will say though, it's just a great theme for a pinball machine. Catchy songs, creepy/funny atmosphere, and lots of room for toys. I think there's a goodchance that even people that are only dimly aware of the theme to grow to like it through a pinball machine. Or maybe it will fail completely. What do I know?

#1369 6 months ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

My theory is that it’s Charlie and the Chocolate Factory version with Depp. Based upon the JJP teaser using gobstoppers from the remake.

Do you have any other theories? I'd like to subscribe to the newsletter

#1376 6 months ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

You're probably right. It's a long shot oddball theory, and I'm sure I'm wrong. But hey it's a forum and every pinball nerd like me with an idea has to post it right?

Hey now - you have to pay a subscription fee for more of my theories.

I'm just jealous because it sounds like you might be getting one. Unless it's the Depp version, then I'm not so jealous --- but happy for you

It was a good catch on the gobstoppers though. At the very least it's keeping a sliver of suspense alive.

#1498 6 months ago
Quoted from Amused_to_Death:

This is surprising?
I believe Kaneda said there will be four songs. Let's take a guess:
1. The Candy Man
2. (I've Got a) Golden Ticket
3. Pure Imagination
4. I Want It Now
That leaves out Cheer Up Charlie, which pretty much no one likes. LOL!
It leaves out the Oompa Loompa songs, too, but there are four of them: Sweets, Gum, Brat, and TV. I could see where snippets of the Oompa bits would play out on the LCD, but not necessarily be considered as part of the music.
Musically, the main themes are Pure Imagination and Golden Ticket. Both are part of the film's Main Title sequence, and Pure Imagination makes up the End Title sequence.

My son has ptsd from me singing cheer up Charlie to him whenever he was grumpy.

It will be interesting to see how this can possibly live up to expectations. Hard to imagine there wont be some letdown initially.

#1662 6 months ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

Yeah, tell me about it... I have a SW Pro. I still love the game, but it really sucks that the *only* real toy in the game isn't part of it lol. If it didn't have such great code, the playfield would be a joke.

Game play differences between the models has indirectly caused me not to buy some stern machines in the past. It's hard enough to find games on location to play without having to find different models. TWD is the prime example for me. The walker bomb seems like such a cool rule, but then you'll get a bunch of people that say the pro shoots better. I was dead set on getting a TWD, but I got kind of annoyed with the different features on each one so the moment ended up passing. DP could be similar as you get a bunch of people saying go pro, but another contingent that say the pro is clunky and the premium is not. Again, no way for me to test this on my own easily so the desire is starting to fritter away. I can see how this might actually be a plus for some people as they can chose a different feeling game with the same theme. For me it's just headache inducing.

Anyway, I hope Wonka keeps the differences to cosmetic among the models.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 27.50
$ 7,500.00
$ 9,500.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 99.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 12,500.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iloveplywood.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside