1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 1,675 posts
  • 289 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by dmarston
  • Topic is favorited by 49 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 88 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

E954BEC0-5DC8-4126-9728-9BCB2A69E5CA (resized).jpeg
33C80C44-46D9-4775-9F9C-E114C6B847DF (resized).jpeg
C7368F43-57C5-4CA8-A8E7-734245471778 (resized).jpeg
20387095.gif
E2747705-4CA2-4AFE-BF00-B85EF92619BA (resized).png
758A96BC-36FB-40CC-8E02-A779752ADA82 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20190406-213645 (resized).jpg
DA775D10-7FEA-45FE-868E-03588ADC4221 (resized).jpeg
210CF818-78CE-450E-AC94-F94B77AEFC5C (resized).jpeg
ww (resized).png
tJ ww (resized).jpg
tom-and-jerry-wizard-of-oz-post[1] (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190405-152058 (resized).png
E38A78B8-E018-43E8-AD8A-7C1DCEA56704 (resized).jpeg
i-just-cant-quit-you (resized).jpg
CECFBC5F-1A12-4E0A-A29A-639B29A49B8B (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider f3honda4me.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#285 11 months ago

I am not a fan of music pins, but I think GNR would be in my collection for sure.

#289 11 months ago

I'll be ready to buy another game in february or march, and it's gonna be WOZ or Hobbit, or I might wait if something else promising has been announced.

#314 11 months ago

POTC delay was due to last minute changes to the chest and spinning disc as the designs were not working as hoped on the prototypes. I don't think we should then assume that every pin will similarly be delayed or that all other JJP projects were delayed because of it.

#323 11 months ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

I think prices will have to come down when there's the next major global slowdown, financial crisis, or recession. The industry won't survive if they don't.
Stern will be in prime position on that, as their unit costs are obviously so low and margins so high. JJP really do need to dilute their costs and increase their purchasing power and economies of scale by building more games, both if they want to sell more and expand the market as the investors claimed, and if they want to remain viable when inevitable price cuts have to occur due to the economic cycle.
The industry's been riding a wave for the last 7 years or so. It will peter out soon enough.

And that economic slowdown has already begun. It's only downhill from here.

#325 11 months ago

Whatever it is, I hope they announce something by february, as I and probably many others will have tax refunds (getting my own money back lol) to spend.

1 month later
#450 10 months ago
Quoted from arcadem:

That is bs to blame JJP for the impact of sales taxes voted in by your legislature. If you don't like sales taxes vote the people out who pass them but don't blame businesses that have to collect them. Or do you think that JJP should absorb them on your behalf????

If he can’t or won’t spend 10k on a pin he shouldn’t be chastised for that. Higher taxes cause us all to lose, is I think what his point was. Unfortunately the voting populace in this country is fine with continued voting for two sides of the same coin, moving us in the same direction ultimately. Until that changes, nothing else will.

#452 10 months ago
Quoted from lurch:

The tax applies to you too! That said I cetrainly dont expect JJP to take a hit on my behalf. But I do expect them to find more ways of keeping prices down.

Yes we all lose. Certainly didnt expect that response though! Rough crowd I guess.

Sorry probably came off harsher than I intended

#467 10 months ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Just seen this on facebook. No real info though.
"Pat Lawler's new, Willy Wonka! discuss....( by Jersey Jack)"
[quoted image]

Can you link to the Facebook post? I don’t see it on the JJP Facebook page anywhere. I don’t think this was posted by anyone official. I mean it’s just a pic of a poster advertisement of a local theater group putting on willy wonka.... Lawlor is also spelled with an o not an e.

#469 10 months ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

It was just in a chat group. Nothing official. Was surprised that they said Pat was the designer.

Who actually said it? Jack himself?

#525 10 months ago

Call me crazy, but I feel like the toy story pin is not happening. Disney tends to tighten up on licenses they have when there is something major going on with that license. With the opening of toy story land at disneyworld recently, and a new movie coming mid 2019, I feel like they would not have allowed the license use for this theme. I know people will be quick to jump at GOTG as an example of a movie release and pin of the same release in the same year (2017 movie and stern machine) but Marvel, while owned by Disney, is not necessarily controlled in the same manner.

I dunno that's my thought. Where did the toy story "rumor" come from anyways? How did it start?

#534 10 months ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

Serious question. Say Jack announced today Willy Wonka is next, how long would it be before the first one shipped? Would it even happen in 2019?

The thought is yes. Jack said he doesn’t want to announce games until they are nearly ready to ship. So announce game then start shipping within a month maybe?

On that note:
I’m gonna go out on a limb here and make the bet that toy story is not happening and is not in the works.

#543 10 months ago

I hope it's right so I can see the reveal at MGC instead. :p

#551 10 months ago
Quoted from lurch:

Sorry brotha, looks like JJP is going to be at TPF.... https://texaspinball.com/tpf/

Seriously, no yelling!

That doesn't necessarily mean they are revealing anything. :p

If they are then we'll see if my theory is right on there not being any toy story pin in the works.

#554 10 months ago
Quoted from adol75:

The plan is to release two games this year, they might reveal WiWo and keep Toy Story for later. Or they might reveal nothing and come with their current lineup which doesn't mean they are not working on anything by the way.

I know the plan is to release two games this year. My bet is that toy story is not happening at all and is a completely unfounded rumor.

#556 10 months ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

New TWIP confirms what I’ve been saying.
Pat is on WW (standard body) and will be revealed spring or most likely TPF. High anticipation for this game and with full assets, should be JJPs top table along with Dialed In, since it had full assets as well being an original table.
Eric is on TS (wide body) and will be revealed in the fall. Which makes sense he’s on TS, since he dealt with Disney on POTC and prefers wide body tables. Good fun since TS should be packed with none other than, (drum roll) lots of toys! Lol
GNR next year. Sure it will be good too, but do we need a second one already? Just like 2 POTCs? Really like that WW and TS have not been done by some other pinball company previously. Refreshing to have 2 new titles, not retreads from other companies, even though I know JJP does them better. (Would have been fun to have Batman and Munsters done by JJP for sure to see what packed features they’d have, although Sterns are nice.) Lol

I don't see toy story happening. Nobody has a reliable source on toy story. I think people are getting their hopes very high based upon some pretty unfounded rumors that have spread like wildfire.

#558 10 months ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

I’ll give a hint. My prediction is not coming from a rumor.

I'll give a hint, neither is mine.

#569 10 months ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Willy Wonka very soon standard body later this year Toy Story also standard body and coming at some point a stripped down Yellow Brick Road WOZ.

At least one of these is not true. I think a lot of people have etched these rumors into stone based on no information or reliable source, and people are going to be upset when they realize and the pins are actually announced.

#572 10 months ago
Quoted from branlon8:

Now I'm confused - I thought the purpose of this thread is to speculate with no reliable information

Speculate is fun, but some people have taken it quite far and preached it as gospel set in stone.

Quoted from Ballypinball:

what is a fact is JJP will send us all broke on buying JJP Games

This man speaks the truth. :p

#575 10 months ago
Quoted from screaminr:

There are 8 bits of information there if one part turns out not to be right then that's still a really good percentage of being correct

I'm referring to the two games people think are coming out. WW and TS.

#579 10 months ago
Quoted from calfdemon:

I have been following along with these rumors here for a while. Just curious, because I have not seen much mention of it, has anyone heard anything about JJP coming out with Harry Potter anytime soon. I ask this because I know someone who was present when Jack bought the rights to Harry Potter from Warner Bros, and that was probably 2 years ago now. This is someone who is into into pinball in a major way and knows who Jersey Jack is. I trust this person 150% so I know that JJP hold the HP rights. Just have not heard anything about them using them on a pin yet. And with this happening about 2 years ago, I would think that someone would have heard something. Unless of course, something changed in the last 2 years and he doesn't have them anymore?
Anyway, just throwing that out to see what others have heard. I personally have no interest in HP, but will put a deposit down the day that Willy Wonka is announced!

I think sometimes people don't give enough credit to how close some of these things can be held in secret until much closer to a release date. An HP pin could be in the works, just as much as WW or TS could be. We truly don't know if any of these rumors are true until something concrete gets leaked, such as photos of an actual machine, or JJP announces the machine.

#583 10 months ago

Well we do know one thing - someone at some point here will get to post big fat "i told you so's" hahahah. All in good fun of course.

#596 10 months ago
Quoted from lurch:

wait..... i thought we ruled out HP like 5 pages ago. Who brought HP back into this conversation?

HP is just as likely as WW and TS. I haven't been able to find this "leaked email" about TS. But again, people have these set in stone and some are going to be surprised when one of those never happens. :p

#598 10 months ago
Quoted from tacshose:

Pinside deleted the “leaked email” info that was put in a thread, but I saw it along with most of Pinside.

Ah wait I think I did read about that. It was same person/source that leaked DI right? That one at least then has some credibility. But then that means that the other one isn't happening. O.O

#600 10 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

The internet is written in ink, not pencil.
Pinside may have deleted it, it is still out there.
LTG : )

Very true.

Hey for all you all know, I might be just another cog in the rumor mill wheel. :p

#604 10 months ago
Quoted from calfdemon:

I brought HP back into it, although unintentionally. I didn't know I was bringing it back, because I did not see it really talked about previously... lol
I just brought it up to see what others may have heard about its positioning in the JJP lineup, not that I think it is one of the next couple coming out. And I only brought that up because I know for a fact that JJP holds the rights to HP and they acquired them about 2 years ago (or they did at least.. things may have changed since then). I personally know someone that was present when it happened at Warner Brothers Studios.

We're onto you. We know you're a mole for JJP. >.> :p

#620 10 months ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

It’s about demographics. Yeah dudes in their 40-50s who grew up listening to GnR still like them but teens and people in their 20s? Their parents will be at GnR shows not them.

Speaking of demographics, on average, people in their 40s-50s also have more disposable income than people in their teens and 20s.

#623 10 months ago
Quoted from PinLen83:

Literally, Kaneda confirmed this morning what JJPs plans are. Short episode literally posted this morning. Literally.

If by confirmed you mean "another source of rumors" then yes?

#626 10 months ago
Quoted from PinLen83:

His enthusiasm did not appear to come off as “hey, I heard from some guy”, it sounded like he was 100% confident in what he was telling us.
Time will tell for sure.

Yea he is very convincing. I also think what he says about YBR makes sense. Not removing features, but if anything have an "improved" version of the features. A stripped down 250 run special edition makes zero sense from a business standpoint for JJP. But WW and TS both by Lawlor and both standard body sounds very exciting. I was very worried that TS would be missing a lot of IP/assets, but from the sound of this that may not be the case. And Eric designing GNR would be AWESOME. I am not a fan of band pins, but GNR is the one pin my wife and I would both be into.

#628 10 months ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

Willy Wonka? I hope not. I would love to add a JJ game to my collection but they keep on adding kid theme games. Yes, I did like Wizard of Oz as a kid but as an adult I do not want the game. The same with the Hobbit.
Dialed In: I don't want a cell phone themed game. I like to disconnect from the cell phone distractions that I have all day when I play pinball.

I'd hardly call most of the JJP Pins "kid themed". Pirates, DI, Hobbit, WW, and TS all have a huge adult following.

#643 10 months ago
Quoted from arcadem:

If all that Kaneda says is correct, it will be very hard for me to pass on an Oktoberfest. I will check it out closely at the TPF and go from there. JJP pins are always my top choice but I just am not that crazy about WW and TS probably won't show up until early 2020.

Grain of salt IMO. 2 weeks ago he was sure that TS was first, but now suddenly WW is first.

#651 10 months ago
Quoted from PlayPin:

New to this thread but very interested. Sorry I have to ask, who is Kaneda, what episode are you talking about, and what are the plans?

It's a guy who does a pinball podcast. No formal relation to JJP nor an official source of confirmed/verified info. So just like any of us with our thoughts/sources/etc, take with a grain of salt. The truth is out there! O.O

#683 10 months ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Lack POTC assets? You mean almost no assets. The logo, title and one photo of actors. Almost no reason to buy table except great layout. That has killed sales for most. Like buying Batman without any show footage. It would not have sold many at all. POTC has no music, movie clips, etc. would have been better if themed as the Disneyland park ride only.

Has movie clips, entire game voiced by Gibbs, artwork, storylines. I’d hardly call that “no” assets.

Quoted from tacshose:

POTC should have been a pirate theme, the Disney BS ruined it and technical problems didn’t help. JJP is smart to cut their loses and bury it.

Did you not know that it will take them into April to finish all outstanding POTC orders? They’ve had zero problems selling the game...

It’s kind of amazing how JJP hasn’t been able to make POTC fast enough to keep up with demand since production began, yet people claim the game is doing terrible lol. This is one of the best games ever created. The lack of main character movie clips and original score doesn’t change that. The music is perfect and could have just as well been used in the movies. If IP mattered for this pin, it would have been reflected in sales.

#689 10 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The problem with the movie clips that are used in POTC is that they contain no actor video and no actor audio. There's a 125 main modes of this where you hit shots for the characters involved in a movie scene. For example you start a mode called say "The Sword" or something and are told to hit X amount of character shots. The clip played at the beginning of the mode is 3-5 seconds, shows a sword and nothing else. Does anyone remember what scene of what Pirates movie that was from? No. Are there any clips played advancing the scene as character shots are made? No, just callouts saying "Jack collected", "Elizabeth collected", etc. As a result all of the 125 main modes feel rather generic in my opinion and are nowhere near as engaging as the 30 book modes in The Hobbit that all feature licensed assets.
The Gibbs callouts are incredible but he's also the only voice you ever hear in a game for a pinball machine based off of 5 movies. The pick a Pirate character feature is great but sadly there's just a photo of each Pirate and no video / voice assets from each. Once you pick your character there's nothing to remind the player during gameplay that you are playing him or her due to a lack of licensed assets. The music in the game is perfect like you said, as is all of the sound work done by David Thiel.
Pirates is an excellent game but the lack of licensed assets hurt the draw to it for some people. There's a boat load of modes in Pirates but all, with exception to the 5 wizard modes (very cook
L) and the super wizard mode once it arrives, play very similar. Maybe the lack of licensed assets in the game is why the programming team chose to make the game more about stacking everything rather than playing modes on their own. As others have said for $10k licensed assets need to be there. JJP seems to know this now with reports of the Toy Story licensed being renegotiated to get more assets.

I never really get to see the movie clips when playing hobbit because my eyes are on the field not the lcd screen. So when collecting characters in POTC, the callout is enough, if there was a clip on screen I wouldn't see it because I'm watching the ball not the screen. And I remember almost all of the scenes that are shown when starting chapters. We are big fans of the movies and have seen them multiple times. Would it be better with audio/video from the movie? Sure, but it's also not a "complete miss" and the rest of the game more than makes up for it.

I am sure that there are some who have dismissed the game due to this, and in my opinion it's their loss. They are missing out on probably one of the greatest pins ever made. I myself was very hesitant, and had the exact same thought. In fact I had dismissed the game entirely and was looking at a hobbit or WOZ purchase. But then I got the chance to play POTC. And once I played it, and kept playing it, and kept playing it, I realized that the missing IP didn't matter. The game is just too good. So we bought one. The good news is, they have had zero problems selling the game, as I said, if the IP was an issue it's not showing in sales, since JJP can't make them fast enough.

#698 10 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

To the POTC naysayers worried about the theme:
You need to find one and play it. Give it a solid hour of play and then tell me the assets matter.
Would it better if they were there? Of course. Does it diminish the absolute brilliance of this pin? Not in the least.

I was a huge naysayer. I sounded exactly like the people here blabbering on about lack of IP, clips, etc. Until I played the pin at length. It's amazing.

#701 10 months ago
Quoted from Pinballer67:

would LOVE to purchase a JJP POTC LE...used, in a year or two...but now production has finished. WTF? I wonder if these might be snapped up or hoarded and the thing never produced again...game is super duper awesome, who cares about the assets...

I would say there is a very real chance that POTC will have production batches again. Unless they have problems sourcing parts or something.

#750 10 months ago
Quoted from Coz:

Doesn’t Jack come to everyone’s house? Maybe he can personally deliver me a POTC, Willy Wonka or Toy Story[quoted image]

I am so jealous Jack delivered your star trek personally.

#795 10 months ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Is anyone concerned about JJP's longevity in the business? Are there enough pinheads willing to spend $8,000+ on a pinball machine to keep the doors open? My concern currently with JJP is if I were to buy a JJP POTC and have issues years down the road-would there still be support? Hell-I am concerned about Stern's spike components and future support or availability. I do not own a crystal ball-but I have had these thoughts.

Have you seen Aliens pinball? Only like 200 made, company and IP long gone. Yet people create boards, all sorts of crazy stuff just to support the pin. Even if JJP goes under tomorrow, the pin community would be here.

#806 10 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I was talking to the Mrs. yesterday about pinball for way to long (she always loves that lol) and whether or not I should go for Pirates or wait for Willy Wonka. She said she would wait for Willy Wonka out of principle for JJP not including the original spinning disk mech and the opening / closing chest yet still keeping the price the same. Damn lol. It was hard to hear that argument again but I can see her point. I went back to some older Pirate gameplay videos and the entire game still just looks so much cooler with the original disk and chest mech. For nearly $10k I could stomach not having licensed actor audio / video assets due to the amount / variety of toys in the original Pirates prototype but after the mech changes it was and still is a sore point when considering purchasing the game. Who knows, maybe I'll still get one, on the fence at the moment about buying an LE or waiting for Wonka.

I can't see her point. The game is packed with toys and features. And the physical 3 disc was replaced with a single disc and something that probably cost more in development via coding. You won't care one bit about the 3 disc and closing chest when you play the game. Guaranteed. :p

#840 10 months ago
Quoted from iceman44:

There seems to be a lot of out of the box issues with Potc with a lot of people. Looks mostly minor though.

I don’t think there are a high percent of affected machines at all. On forums these issues always seem worse and more widespread than they are. Look at the MBr thread and the decal issue. The way the thread was going you would have thought every machine was affected and CGC should stop production until fixed. That is until CGC posted that less than 1% were affected.

#851 9 months ago

there is an updated tortuga hole bracket

Where did you hear about this? Where can we get it from?

#853 9 months ago
Quoted from JY64:

I think DI and POTC were not hits because of price not because of theme or toys it is that there are a limited number of buyers at $9500. without a cut in price JJP will never see a game hit 3500 or more in sales again. For those of you who are going to bring up the $8500 model look at the pinside owners JJP collectors do not want the $8500 model

I would disagree that POTC wasn't a hit. I think it's a huge hit. But, I guess that depends how you define hit. To me, the fact that JJP hasn't been able to keep up with POTC demand taking 4+ weeks to fulfill orders since they started shipping them, makes it a hit.

#856 9 months ago
Quoted from delt31:

If Jack truly does stop production, this game is def not a hit and that's coming from someone that loves it. You don't stop making a hit and shifting focus elsewhere unless it's not making money. Very simple.
I do think that if production does stop, which is WAY early for this game, it will be a sleeper hit with a wild secondary market.

I disagree. Do you take the other pins you have that you want to release and just sit on them so you can continue making POTC for how long exactly?

#859 9 months ago
Quoted from FlippinJB:

If I were Jersey Jack, I think I'd be making Pirates as long as I could sell them for. The development and initial tooling costs must add up to a fair whack, and I'd guess the idea is that you then enter 'cash cow' phase of product lifespan and shift as many as you can. How many lines does JJ have running? Could they continue to produce Pirates while beginning to stockpile their next game at the same time? I understand WOZ is re-entering production also. Sounds like a logistical 'challenge'.
All just guesswork and MHO, of course. I don't know how to run a pinball factory, clearly!

I think people are making the assumption that they'll never make POTC again. I feel this is really where the disagreement is. If you assume that JJP will continue to make POTC's on their 2nd line or in future "batches", then the decision makes a lot of sense.

#863 9 months ago
Quoted from JY64:

I agree you are making a assumption on POTC being a hit

So, not being able to keep up with orders since they began shipping for 6 months is not a hit? Again, comes down to your definition of what you consider a "hit". I guess you and I just have different definitions.

#871 9 months ago

we received them to fit to all our new games before shipping as the pop bumper assy needs to be removed to fit
reach out to jjp support

Easier said than done. They are very hard to get hold of right now as I know they have some things going on.

#874 9 months ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Easier said than done. They are very hard to get hold of right now as I know they have some things going on.

I must mention though Chris at Kingpin has been awesome in helping me with my issue while JJP support catches up on thing!

#878 9 months ago
Quoted from JY64:

If DI or POTC sold out the LE or CE games

The LE's are sold out on POTC. They can't make them fast enough to keep up with orders since they started shipping. The CE is too expensive for many at $12k so I do not factor that in at all.

#882 9 months ago
Quoted from dts:

If they are sold out, why can I buy one today from so many distributors? Do you mean they built the entire number of LEs projected and they are in distributor warehouses where not sold? The entire run will sell out for sure, especially now that it is feeling more limited.

Very few distributors have them "on hand". But some may have orders that may not have a buyer tied to them that have yet to be fulfilled from JJP. If you don't find one in stock at a distributor you'll probably be waiting a few weeks to get one.

#951 9 months ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The license is DONE in March. That's it. Jack pulled the plug versus re upping for another expensive 5 years.

Source?

#1001 9 months ago
Quoted from jfh:

I don’t expect they will reveal Wonka at TPF but I think it would be a missed opportunity not to acknowledge it’s coming and do a preview.
I honestly believe there is no longer a benefit to the manufacturers playing their cards so close to the vest. Let everyone know what the short term release plans are going to be (planned order, not exact release dates) so ops and collectors can plan for which titles they will get. It could provide a competitive advantage by keeping cash on the sidelines that might otherwise go toward a competitor’s pin.
I can’t consider more than a game or two a year (for both money and space issues) and have to sell an established favorite to bring in a new game. If I know Toy Story is coming by early next year, Elvira 3 probably doesn’t get bought this fall.

I agree with this. If JJP announces the pin too close to shipping, they’ll lose potential sales because people will buy other pins instead of waiting for an announcement of which they have no idea when it’s coming. There is a balance. Personally I think they should give us 2-3 months between announcements and pre-ordering. Gives people time to save or sell a pin etc to make the purchase and place the order.

Especially given the cost of their pins.

#1009 9 months ago

Based upon this, looks like Harry Potter is being done by Stern.

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/twip-tuesday-february-26th-2019/

So JJP couldn't be doing HP then.

#1011 9 months ago
Quoted from Schabs81:

I hope not I believe only jjp could really bring that theme to life

That's a pretty reliable source that would be in the know for stern, so I'd say JJP HP is very doubtful.

#1027 9 months ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Whats this?
[quoted image]

Definitely not a JJP pin. That's not a linux loading screen, especially with the logo.

#1031 9 months ago
Quoted from Zavadoza:

Kaminkow is reliable, he also didn't say they have HP. He's just teasing everyone by saying "you never know" and "I believe it will happen one day" just like he believed the Beatles would.

True. On the same hand if the IP was in JJPs hands, I don’t think he would have said what he did.

#1044 9 months ago

I have pics too, you will all be excited. But I have 11 reasons not to post them. But trust me!

#1054 9 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

So this must mean that Wonka LE is going to cost either $10k or $11k!

I admit, I snorted reading this

#1055 9 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

Probably not.
Wayne is a large distributor for JJP.
He isn't bragging. More like giving a heads up.

So if you're saying he is a trusted source, then it confirms several rumors since he has posted details in this very thread that were supposed to be "secret". One of the biggest being that pat lawlor is working on toy story (also confirming that toy story is happening), and that none of the rumored pins are a widebody.

edit: and also that WOZ YBR and Wonka are happening/confirmed.

#1058 9 months ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

This has been known for ages, like more than 2 years!

It has been rumor for ages. But no confirmation from a direct reliable source until now apparently.

#1070 9 months ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

My point is that they need more sales and raising prices up that high will kill off the chances of at least two-thirds of potential buyers. I don't think manufacturers can rely on theme alone to get high volume sales because premium prices takes out a large portion of the buying community.
JJP needs a full-featured version at around $7200 like Stern to get decent volume sales. If they can't ever get their sales numbers up by pricing competitively with other manufacturers then I don't see them surviving. They simply have too much overhead to not necessitate increasing volume.

The problem with this statement though is that a "full featured" stern pin is sparse compared to JJP pins. JJP would have to strip half the mechs and toys to get to the level of a "full featured" stern pin.

#1093 9 months ago

Unpopular opinion: not a fan of wonka or toy story theme. Wouldn’t prevent me from buying either, but also not dying to see them either. Unless it’s the weirdo Johnny Depp wonka, we are weirdos who like that version a bit more than Wilder. :O

#1107 9 months ago

Even though we would love the Depp version, I agree the pinball should be the Wilder version for mass appeal.

#1111 9 months ago
Quoted from Vintage2:

who's we?
How could anyone with an ounce of taste want the Depp version over the original
maybe 20 year olds?

We being my family? As for our personal taste or opinion, just because you disagree with it doesn’t mean you should be an ass and insult anyone who doesn’t like what you like.

#1116 9 months ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Pay no attention to him Mr Burton by the way I really liked Planet of the Apes keep up the good work

#1124 9 months ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Sorry thelaw missed that part I don’t live on these threads, so we know for sure jjp is making this pin?

Pretty sure but nothing official from JJP

#1126 9 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

There's no official announcement but the whole thing is just common sense; no one gives a shit aboot the Tim Burton version...not enough people with $$$ anyway.
EDIT: Other than that guy and his family above.

#1151 9 months ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Jersey Jack seems to do really well working with Warner Brothers... out of these titles what would you like to see them do? They have a great relationship with Warner no reason not to keep working with them.
The Conjuring
Dumb and Dumber
Friday the 13th
Mortal Kombat
Scooby Doo
DC Universe
Batman Arkham
Harry Potter
The Matrix
Lego
Blade Runner
Mad Max
Exorcist
Gremlins
Hangover
Caddyshack
Beetlejuice
National Lampoon Vacation Series
Seinfield
Big Bang Theory
Get Smart
Sherlock Holmes
Clash of the Titans
Ready Player One

Harry Potter

#1159 9 months ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

One more post I wanted to put all my thoughts in different posts ... Gene Wilder vs Depp. This is a no brainer. The Depp movie made a ton more money obviously and was a good movie no doubt. However the movie was re-made because the original is a CLASSIC like Wizard of Oz. Disney actually made a WOZ prequel that was okay, but you don't hear anyone calling for a game based on that film.
The original film has the appeal and no game will ever be made based on the Depp version and it has nothing to do with Depp. It has everything to do with the original is a better movie period.
I can tell you exactly how many people would buy the game based on the remake ... ZERO!
People grew up on the original movie, just as they did with the original King Kong, WOZ and a list of other movies.
If you're target demo is 45-60 there is ONLY ONE OPTION the original.
Which is why I'm not a big fan of them doing Toy Story. I'm not sure how many males 45-60 would want a game based on Toy Story.
Love the films but I'm not excited about that theme personally. Going back to Warners I'd rather see Road Warrior/Mad Max or do a comedy sure thing but make it Caddyshack. "ITS IN THE HOLE"
Caddyshack would be one of the biggest selling pinballs anyone could make because so many people with 10k LOVE THAT MOVIE!
Make Caddyshack cheaper license tons of comedy superstars: Dangerfield, Murray, Chase, Knight and a cast that is perfect.

You make a lot of assumptions. One of them I think is way off though. I’d guess target ages are 35-54 since those age ranges makes the highest income in the US.

#1160 9 months ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Great thoughts drfrightner I'm curious if that is, in fact, the true demographic... Personally, I know a LOT of people in their mid to late 30's that I would argue are for sure a contributing demo, and own some pretty pricey pins. .

Exactly.

#1166 9 months ago
Quoted from Vintage2:

Generic theme, cellphone on playfield,pass. Even if it shoots well

I said the same thing and then some. But it’s so damn fun to play. It’s one of the next on my list.

#1182 9 months ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Someone should just do a poll ... DEPP WONKA or WILDER WONKA. I'm going to guess the results... 95 to 5 something like that in favor of Wilder. If you had a vote to the first 100.

Oh I guarantee the Wilder Wonka will be more popular, and I think it would be a mistake for them to do a DEPP wonka. That doesn't mean there aren't those of us out there that aren't depp/burton fans. The remake movie did very well.

1 week later
#1258 8 months ago

I bet WW and TS will be north of $10k

#1285 8 months ago

I don’t get the constant raising of prices. I have the income to buy $11k pins but I won’t, because that’s too much for a pin (exception: Alien, due to rarity) I admit I almost bought a YBR but finally decided not to on principle. I won’t support this constant and unnecessary increase on prices.

JJP should be reducing costs as they hone their skill set across the board, getting better parts pricing, more efficient assembly, etc and so on. These reductions are natural for a business like that, but yet we are seeing prices continue to rise. If JJP has to raise prices to make a profit then they are doing something wrong OR someone is getting greedy (Does Jack still have majority share ownership?). I’m fine spending $9k-ish on a JJP pin, because it’s going to be loaded with stuff. (I bought POTC new and just ordered a WOZ NIB) But not $11k.

I will not be surprised if a Wonka standard is $9k-$10k. LE will be $10.5k+

#1303 8 months ago

We’ve gone way off topic now because of the troll.

#1336 8 months ago

Well given that MGC just announced something special - this makes me think JJP is unveiling WW at MGC.

54ca8e4f8573d4a416f2d44d1e8d66451856e63e (resized).png
#1340 8 months ago

Ditto. I was going to buy a DI or MBr but with this, I'm waiting to see what happens first.

#1359 8 months ago
Quoted from Beebl:

The real question is which well sell better WoZ YBR or Oktoberfest.

Probably oktoberfest. But they'd sell more oktoberfest if they got rid of the redundant and out of place rock music.

#1364 8 months ago
Quoted from Vdrums:

2 days without any WW news or unfounded opinions?

My theory is that it’s Charlie and the Chocolate Factory version with Depp. Based upon the JJP teaser using gobstoppers from the remake.

#1375 8 months ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Orrrr, as the original gobstoppers were actually jack shaped gobstoppers they probably assumed we would get the idea if they made them round. lol After watching Both movies last night I personally wouldn't care which move they used. My Guess is the original would be a Much lower cost license to pull as they already had issues with Johnny in Pirates.... I do like the music much better in the Tim Burton movie though.

You're probably right. It's a long shot oddball theory, and I'm sure I'm wrong. But hey it's a forum and every pinball nerd like me with an idea has to post it right?

Quoted from iloveplywood:

Do you have any other theories? I'd like to subscribe to the newsletter

Hey now - you have to pay a subscription fee for more of my theories. I could be like "the onion" of pinball newsletters!

#1377 8 months ago
Quoted from iloveplywood:

I'm just jealous because it sounds like you might be getting one. Unless it's the Depp version, then I'm not so jealous --- but happy for you
It was a good catch on the gobstoppers though. At the very least it's keeping a sliver of suspense alive.

Oh yes I have cash in hand ready to buy if it’s good. I’ll be at MGC for the reveal if it happens and will play it ASAP. I might try to stream the reveal from my phone if no one “professional “ is streaming it.

#1396 8 months ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

Anyone wanna put $$$ on when this bad boy gets leaked? Pirates didn't get leaked until the day of the reveal at Expo. Wonder if they can actually keep this one sealed until the actual event...

There is probably some leaked information, but people who have heard/seen it are keeping their lips sealed so as to not ruin the surprise!

#1404 8 months ago
Quoted from Frogman:

I spoke with a distributor who believes that the LE is $9950, but said that pricing hasn't yet been released.

I sure hope that's incorrect. The price increases need to stop.

#1407 8 months ago
Quoted from WyseGuy:

I’ll pay that all day. Their games are leaps and bounds ahead of the rest. Played an $8500 POTC last night and its making me rethink spending $7,500 on new sterns. That extra grand goes a long way.

I don't disagree that you get more for the money. But pushing to the $10k mark before taxes/shipping is getting excessive.

Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

Stop plopping down money on games sight unseen (or played)...

Not sure why you directed that at me? I've never bought a game before playing it...

#1411 8 months ago
Quoted from WyseGuy:

It’s our duty as pinball fans to help keep their doors open

If they have problems keeping the doors open at $9500 per pin for an LE, then they have major issues.

#1414 8 months ago
Quoted from WyseGuy:

The giant smiley face at the end didn’t give away my sarcasm, huh?

Doh!

#1429 8 months ago
Quoted from Pinballer67:

from Joe at PinballSTAR's email:
3. JJP has announced that the pricing of the next game will be same as Pirates of the Caribbean - $ 8,500 for Standard, $ 9,500 for the Limited, and $ 12,500 for the Collector's.

Hmm I'm on his mailing list and did not receive this email. :/

#1430 8 months ago
Quoted from WyseGuy:

Gameplay wise, no. I think the LE has a guy on the jet bumpers than spins around, and mountains on the left side of the game. Maybe more, that’s all I know of.

It'll be interesting to see if JJP changes to gameplay differences between standard and LE or continues with what they have done previously where it's just cosmetic/lighting differences.

#1486 8 months ago
Quoted from knobstone:

Hat tip to Kaneda on his most recent podcast. There will be several songs from the original movie in the game, the more assets from the movie the better. Could be an epic machine that we have all waited for.

Hat tip for what? That’s not anything new. :p

#1524 8 months ago

Yea I'd say just Wonka.

#1543 8 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

We've never seen that kind of thing on a JJP release, and people who have played and seen the game have likely signed and abidden by their NDAs.
I've heard some precious and tantalizing details but I'm simply not at liberty to share them!

I'm not under an NDA but not going to spoil what I've heard/seen either!

#1553 8 months ago
Quoted from LoveNeverDiesGuy:

Yeah..cool.
Fck you both.

What if the game wasn't even willy wonka?!

#1558 8 months ago
Quoted from frankmac:

It's not it’s Dialed in part 2.

THE LEAK!

#1598 8 months ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

Sounds like it's time for a new distributor that will take care of you...
I nominate zach at flip n out. I will post his personal cell number here if you want to text him at 305 am.

I already text Zach all times of the day and night. If he has two people texting him at 3am it’s going to take twice as long to respond. You tryin to encroach on my turf bro?

Let’s settle this the manly way, with a kiddie ride race at MGC.

#1607 8 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

I wish CGC would have sent me this year instead of last.
Have fun. Post pictures. Watch the Twitch stream.

Not gonna drive down hey?

#1646 8 months ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

Do we have any sense of what kind of compromises there will be with a standard edition?

Nothing that we have confirmation on. Some have thought it will have less mech or two, others have said it will only be cosmetic changes. Until the reveal I don't think we'll know for sure.

#1654 8 months ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

4 DAYS TO GO!!!!!

20387095.gif

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 7,500.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider f3honda4me.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside