210CF818-78CE-450E-AC94-F94B77AEFC5C (resized).jpeg
ww (resized).png
tJ ww (resized).jpg
tom-and-jerry-wizard-of-oz-post[1] (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190405-152058 (resized).png
E38A78B8-E018-43E8-AD8A-7C1DCEA56704 (resized).jpeg
i-just-cant-quit-you (resized).jpg
CECFBC5F-1A12-4E0A-A29A-639B29A49B8B (resized).png
There are 1,675 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 34.
#101 5 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Have you played POTC?

Does Potc make people want to play? All the mess around the triple spinner disc gave bad publicity.
To be honest, I would not running after festival to play it, not a fan of the general design, especially the ramps. But I would play it if I get the opportunity

#102 5 years ago

Although I was excited about JJP entering the fray, the delivery on the dream has not been idealic. WOZ was a great start, but TH and DI and now POTC, each have been a disapointment from the “havent we seen this all before?” point of view. Wonka gives me hope but if they do a POTC treatment of Wonka, count me out... choosing a character from the movie to play as is a non starter, because we all know Charlie is the only true winner, and who would want to be Augustus Gloop?

My jab a POTC aside, DI feels like an over cooked GB Premium to me, and TH was an attempt to capture some of that LOTR Stern nerdliness goodness that made is such a great earner and player. To me TH felt like you threw WOZ and MM in a blender and dialed in “puree”... too many trolls and unused real estate for my tastes and hiding Smaug and making his reveal the big attraction was just too gimicky. Did it need to be a wide body?

So is Willy Wonka or Toy Story or ?!? the next JJP pin? If JJP want to be around a bit longer, they might start looking at the things that keep pinball in the minds of average players like is there any real end to this machine, or does it just go on and on and on and on... POTC packs too much into a single machine from a very large franchise and seems overwhelming to casual players... having every movie and every character just bogs down the whole thing in my mind. They could have kept it to just the original movie IMO. Lets hope WWATCF keeps it simple and fun and makes you relive the movie in order from looking and finding the golden ticket, to meeting Wonka, riding the Wonkatania, and then having a mode for each child, including Grampa and Charlie stealing fizzy lifting drinks. Then the final wizard mode and riding the Wonkavator into history... roll credits.

#103 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I cannot see Lawlor recycling a whole game of his. He recycles elements of his ouevre all the time, but a whole game? Never. He managed to strongarm Jack into moving the headphone jack to people's knees where it makes no sense for god's sake! That should give you a sniff of their dynamic. He's definitely not going to be cool with Jack recycling a whole game design of his, and definitely not so soon.

It’s like nobody around here has ever heard of Shrek before.

#104 5 years ago

Double post

#105 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It’s like nobody around here has ever heard of Shrek before.

A> Eww.
B> That was Pat's "desperate days" with Stern. So maybe he did something he may not do again. He had FAR less say in the Stern period than he does at JJP.

#106 5 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

Jack talks way too much. He said himself that DI was his least selling game to date. I don't see Pirates sales topping those of DI. JJP desperately needs another hit like WOZ. How long does his investor stay on board with each title doing worse than the previous?

Obviously di has sold less than woz(5-6 years production)hobbit (2-3 years production) . Di has only been shipping for around 1.5 years or les and has almost out sold hobbit. Potc remains to be seen but many backed out when things changed.

#107 5 years ago

Wow never heard anybody say Dialed In was an over cooked GB LE.Same old thing,nothing new,what the hell do you need.Maybe Deeproot has the answer to your pinball needs!

#108 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

If JJP want to be around a bit longer, they might start looking at the things that keep pinball in the minds of average players like is there any real end to this machine, or does it just go on and on and on and on...

I really, seriously think JJP needs to look at the way Stern implemented casual mode in GoT for location play because it just WORKS. Turn it on and the machine gives you a middle of the road setup and you can bash away on things. And if you know how to play the game and want to bypass casual mode the pin has a marquee every couple minutes that tells you to hold the lockdown bar button to start advanced play. Win-win.

If jjPotC had a casual mode, it could just choose one of the well-known characters and a subset of the modes with more prompts to help players. Would be a very good addition on location. For home use, leave it off, no big woo.

#109 5 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Wow never heard anybody say Dialed In was an over cooked GB LE.Same old thing,nothing new,what the hell do you need.Maybe Deeproot has the answer to your pinball needs!

I don't know about GB, but DI is essentially a B/W greatest features mashup. That's not a bad thing. I just wish it was less tedious. Adding Chaos multiball was a help, but it's still dull after months of playing it a lot. The location earnings fell off a cliff after the first month and never recovered, so at least the players we catered to agree.

#110 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I really, seriously thing JJP needs to look at the way Stern implemented casual mode in GoT for location play because it just WORKS. Turn it on and the machine gives you a middle of the road setup and you can bash away on things. And if you know how to play the game and want to bypass casual mode the pin has a marquee every couple minutes that tells you to hold the lockdown bar button to start advanced play. Win-win.
If jjPotC had a casual mode, it could just choose one of the well-known characters and a subset of the modes with more prompts to help players. Would be a very good addition on location. For home use, leave it off, no big woo.

I don't think it's really a factor. That's just more work, and these machines are too expensive for 90% of locations.

The main investor talked about getting more machines on location and increasing the audience for pinball at Expo last year. Can't do that at such high prices. So one has to assume the plan is to increase production and get prices down, or at least have options which cost less eventually ... but they still seem to be badly bottlenecked, production wise.

Their facility in NJ appears to be completely rammed, and they can't keep up with demand. It was a problem with DI, and it seems to be a problem again with Pirates. The mooted 4000 plus games a year capacity there doesn't seem possible. At least not with their current arrangements or production model. I think they've literally lost 1000s of potential sales, from their bottlenecks, whether it be development or production.

Good news is, I don't think their investor got in to get rich(er). It seems to be for the love of it, and they have a long term view.

#111 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

I don't think it's really a factor. That's just more work, and these machines are too expensive for 90% of locations.

I don't disagree, but Jack keeps saying he wants to expand JJP location visibility. This would help with that without a huge cost/time committment.

#112 5 years ago

+1 for a Depp-Free version

#113 5 years ago

The story I heard (back in 2008) was sales on FGy were so slow, they needed something to justify all the work and money they spent on developing the mini playfield and thats what prompted Pat to seek another theme. Dont think DI falls in that category yet and hopefully Wonka will be brandy brand new layout. Rethemes suck from a players point of view.

#114 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

The story I heard (back in 2008) was sales on FGy were so slow, they needed something to justify all the work and money they spent on developing the mini playfield and thats what prompted Pat to seek another theme. Dont think DI falls in that category yet and hopefully Wonka will be brandy brand new layout. Rethemes suck from a players point of view.

Technically Borg has been re-theming and mirroring the same base design for like 10 years. Hopefully Munsters does indeed break that streak.

#115 5 years ago

Nothing wrong with JJP games, in my opinion they are built and play just like William's. The problem is Jack is no good at picking themes. Woz was good, but hobbit and pirates suck as themes and DI is a awesome game but theme is weak. I own Woz and DI

#116 5 years ago

So much negativity in this thread from people just wanting to discuss JJP's next game. Another train wreck of a thread.

#117 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

He managed to strongarm Jack into moving the headphone jack to people's knees where it makes no sense for god's sake!

Holy crap you’re a broken record on this topic, despite being told repeatedly the reason for that decision.

#118 5 years ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

Nothing wrong with JJP games, in my opinion they are built and play just like William's. The problem is Jack is no good at picking themes. Woz was good, but hobbit and pirates suck as themes and DI is a awesome game but theme is weak. I own Woz and DI

POTC sucks. You are a funny man.

#119 5 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Have you played POTC?

Unfortunately not. STILL waiting for one to show up locally.

#120 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Holy crap you’re a broken record on this topic, despite being told repeatedly the reason for that decision.

Well, it's an easy point to make for influence over good design because it's flat-out terrible design. Plus Jack specifically said to my face he gave in because Pat wanted it there. So, it's relevant to this subject about Pat's level in influence in JJP decisions as well.

#121 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

So much negativity in this thread from people just wanting to discuss JJP's next game. Another train wreck of a thread.

Jack is doing great things with JJP. It's not a straight line to greatness and the pinball business learning curve is steep so there will be mistakes (see:headphone jack above, Hobbit), but pinball is much better with JJP in the game than out. Much.

And I personally cannot wait for all three of the next pins. Wonka, Toy Story, and GnR 2020. JJP doing them says they're in good hands.

#122 5 years ago

For a Wonka pin, I predict a lot of purple... And Oompa Loompa Skiddle-dy Do Multiball.

#123 5 years ago

I can say, its 100% Willy Wonka next. Somewhere 1st quarter of 2019 to be shown.

#124 5 years ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

Thanks for your opinion. My opinion Will counter yours out by saying I think All the jjp themes are great. The next 3 games will only pick up steam even more. My family loves the jjp themes so far. Each to their own though bud.

#125 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I can say, its 100% Willy Wonka next. Somewhere 1st quarter of 2019 to be shown.

Eric or pat?

#126 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Willy Wonka designed by Pat Lawlor sounds like an incredible pin

That would be one I'd have serious interest in...

#127 5 years ago

Oh baby Jesus, this is one I have been waiting and hoping for. I really hope it's true!

#128 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

If true, exciting..Just getting up to speed on this thread

#129 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

As stated, that means it's a Lawlor design based on who's up next.

#130 5 years ago

WOZ will always be JJP's landmark game...Mine not leaving...WONKA could be an awesome compliment....

#131 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Jack specifically said to my face he gave in because Pat wanted it there.

Jack's not an engineer. It's where it is because it wouldn't go anywhere else, and they wanted to save money on the doors and leave room for a dollar bill validator. What particularly pisses me off is you've been told this OVER and OVER and you still go ON and ON without changing your tune like you've got your fingers in your eyes going "LA LA LA".

Just, ugh. Stop it. You are wrong, accept it.

#132 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Jack's not an engineer. It's where it is because it wouldn't go anywhere else, and they wanted to save money on the doors and leave room for a dollar bill validator. What particularly pisses me off is you've been told this OVER and OVER and you still go ON and ON without changing your tune like you've got your fingers in your eyes going "LA LA LA".

"Fingers in your" ears....makes more sense there.

#133 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Fingers in my eyes to stop hearing the excuses? That's a new one.

They can have good reasons for terrible design, but that doesn't make it good design, it just makes it bad design as a result of cost-cutting. Face to face, Jack said Pat wanted it there, and I took it for what he said. Why would he lie about that? Besides, at the manufacturing level, the cost differential for a headphone jack insert plate that matched what they have on WoZ and Hobbit is not that much - I checked into it with one of the chinese manufacturers I deal with once after someone gave me the cost excuse a couple years ago.

#134 5 years ago

You say Willy, I say Wonka, lets call the whole thing off...

I just like having an opinion and a place like PinSide to share it where it can be thrown back in my face a thousand times and it never gets old... I can tell my skin has gotten about an inch thicker since I started posting again on here, and I can tell it by the amount of posts that I write and then never post but just delelet after writing them. Not sure if it is just thicker skin or finally realizing that we are all assholes on here trying to “convert” everyone to their way of thinking, and once you drink that kool-aid, shit seems to just roll right off your back and you dont care what the other side says anymore. What is really interesting, is as you read more and more from everybody, you see just what pin pricks we all are one way or another. And you start laughing at your own mistakes and phuck ups... like right now, you are cursing me for this post... don’t care and I am laughing about it too...

#135 5 years ago

Not sure.

Quoted from KozMckPinball:

As stated, that means it's a Lawlor design based on who's up next.

Could be. I just know its Willy.

#136 5 years ago

I'm betting on toy story next.

#137 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Life support? What are the facts to support that? There's no signs of JJP being on life support and that is a terrible rumor to start throwing around.

Listen, when I said after Expo 2017 and TPF 2018 that JJP would have no white wood, no proto, and not even a title reveal at Expo 18, I was told I was full of it, what proof do I have, who is your source, downvoted....yada,yada, yada. What happened at Expo from JJP? Not a damn thing. All of the proverbial eggs are in the Pirates basket. Dialed In shit the bed, I stand by my statement.

#138 5 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

Jack talks way too much. He said himself that DI was his least selling game to date. I don't see Pirates sales topping those of DI. JJP desperately needs another hit like WOZ. How long does his investor stay on board with each title doing worse than the previous?

Spot on. I sincerely hope they can keep the ball rolling(the investor) for a Wonka release. This could be the theme they need to sell on a WOZ level and turn the tides. Jack is just the face/voice of JJP these days, it's no longer his money.

#139 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

DI feels like an over cooked GB Premium to me

Man. If you are trolling then good troll sir. Well played.

But if not then this statement cannot be topped for the dumbest thing I've read on pinside. If you can top this post I will eat my hat.

#140 5 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Man. If you are trolling then good troll sir. Well played.
But if not then this statement cannot be topped for the dumbest thing I've read on pinside. If you can top this post I will eat my hat.

He's trolling.

GB was repeatedly said to be a half arsed attempt to pull the rug out from under DI, after details of it were leaked years before it launched. Hence a few layout similarities and the shitty Ecto Goggles vs Quantum Theatre.

I can't believe anyone familiar with both games and pinball generally would prefer or imply that GB of any description is a better game than DI. GB has all sorts of issues with its design, and some really boring, bad, buggy rules and code.

#141 5 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Listen, when I said after Expo 2017 and TPF 2018 that JJP would have no white wood, no proto, and not even a title reveal at Expo 18, I was told I was full of it, what proof do I have, who is your source, downvoted....yada,yada, yada. What happened at Expo from JJP? Not a damn thing. All of the proverbial eggs are in the Pirates basket. Dialed In shit the bed, I stand by my statement.

That's false. JJP never said they would reveal a new pin at Expo 18, that was planned! After Pirates took longer then expected it became well known that JJP would wait a bit longer to reveal their next game so there wouldn't be as long of a gap between announcement and shipping. That reveal will occur at TPF 2019. Smart move by JJP.

#142 5 years ago

GNR is next, JJP changing gears and trying something new with a music pin is my prediction.

#143 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Will they reveal at TPF.

#144 5 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Spot on. I sincerely hope they can keep the ball rolling(the investor) for a Wonka release. This could be the theme they need to sell on a WOZ level and turn the tides. Jack is just the face/voice of JJP these days, it's no longer his money.

Jack is still involved with the company on various levels from what I heard. In a podcast from earlier this year he said that he's heavily involved in the licensing aspect of the company.

#145 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

He's trolling.
GB was repeatedly said to be a half arsed attempt to pull the rug out from under DI, after details of it were leaked years before it launched. Hence a few layout similarities and the shitty Ecto Goggles vs Quantum Theatre.
I can't believe anyone familiar with both games and pinball generally would prefer or imply that GB of any description is a better game than DI. GB has all sorts of issues with its design, and some really boring, bad, buggy rules and code.

If DI owners (and lovers) felt a little sting of truth in that:
a) GB was a crappy machine, an all around disaster of a pin
b) When you play DI, the most recent pin that comes to mind is GB
c) When you are done playing DI, you wish Pat had done GB and not DI.

Then no sir, I am not trolling you. I really don’t like either machine but for wildly different reasons. GB was a mess. I can’t stand to put money into one to play it.

DI is a way better machine, no doubt, but the miss on the theme and the weak and lame humor of the title has always made it more of a machine looking for a theme than a theme that was well done in a machine. Wasn’t it originally going to be a licensed title that fell through?

When I walk away from DI, which is usually after only a couple of games, the reason I don’t want to play anymore is I dont care. Nothing in that theme makes me want to play pinball to see more of the game, and as a matter of fact, I think thats is it’s biggest flaw.

#146 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

That's false. JJP never said they would reveal a new pin at Expo 18, that was planned! After Pirates took longer then expected it became well known that JJP would wait a bit longer to reveal their next game so there wouldn't be as long of a gap between announcement and shipping. That reveal will occur at TPF 2019. Smart move by JJP.

How is that false? Do you read AND comprehend?

#147 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Jack is still involved with the company on various levels from what I heard. In a podcast from earlier this year he said that he's heavily involved in the licensing aspect of the company.

Involved and owning are 2 very different things. You may want to pull your head out of the Jersey shore sand.

#148 5 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Will they reveal at TPF.

Good question.. I am not sure..

#149 5 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Not horrible, like many remakes. Just not the original. The original willy wonka is a masterpiece.

Just a friendly reminder that the Gene Wilder version was not really 1 to 1 with the original Roald Dahl book (hence the difference in movie name), whereas the Johnny Depp version is pretty much 1 to 1 with the book (adding some bits and pieces of backstory from the book's VERY lesser known sequel), and shares the same name. So I'm not sure I would consider the 2005 version a remake. More like a parallel, since the original film took much more creative liberties. I also think I read someplace that Dahl actually strongly disliked the original film.

Either way, as much as I wouldn't be personally interested in a pinball machine adaptation, I think it's a perfect theme choice for JJP's audience.

#150 5 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Will they reveal at TPF.

95% yes ... if no road blocks pop up.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 91.00
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

9,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
9,600 (OBO)
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Daytona Beach, FL
$ 64.00
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,675 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 34.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-willy-wonka-next-from-jersey-jack-/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.