210CF818-78CE-450E-AC94-F94B77AEFC5C (resized).jpeg
ww (resized).png
tJ ww (resized).jpg
tom-and-jerry-wizard-of-oz-post[1] (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190405-152058 (resized).png
E38A78B8-E018-43E8-AD8A-7C1DCEA56704 (resized).jpeg
i-just-cant-quit-you (resized).jpg
CECFBC5F-1A12-4E0A-A29A-639B29A49B8B (resized).png

There are 1,675 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 34.
#1001 5 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I don’t expect they will reveal Wonka at TPF but I think it would be a missed opportunity not to acknowledge it’s coming and do a preview.
I honestly believe there is no longer a benefit to the manufacturers playing their cards so close to the vest. Let everyone know what the short term release plans are going to be (planned order, not exact release dates) so ops and collectors can plan for which titles they will get. It could provide a competitive advantage by keeping cash on the sidelines that might otherwise go toward a competitor’s pin.
I can’t consider more than a game or two a year (for both money and space issues) and have to sell an established favorite to bring in a new game. If I know Toy Story is coming by early next year, Elvira 3 probably doesn’t get bought this fall.

I agree with this. If JJP announces the pin too close to shipping, they’ll lose potential sales because people will buy other pins instead of waiting for an announcement of which they have no idea when it’s coming. There is a balance. Personally I think they should give us 2-3 months between announcements and pre-ordering. Gives people time to save or sell a pin etc to make the purchase and place the order.

Especially given the cost of their pins.

#1002 5 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I honestly believe there is no longer a benefit to the manufacturers playing their cards so close to the vest. Let everyone know what the short term release plans are going to be (planned order, not exact release dates) so ops and collectors can plan for which titles they will get. It could provide a competitive advantage by keeping cash on the sidelines that might otherwise go toward a competitor’s pin.

I think the last year has shown us that you need to get the game out there ASAP. There will always be games coming out, and while some people might be saving their money, the rumor of what is next isn't a secret. The bigger missed opportunity is when you lose a lot of momentum on the excitement of your game due to a delayed release. These are impulse buys, not calculated investments (for the most part).

I don't think the reveal has to be at a show. If you can get pinball streamers and podcasters present during the week of your release, the hype will be there.

#1003 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I agree with this. If JJP announces the pin too close to shipping, they’ll lose potential sales because people will buy other pins instead of waiting for an announcement of which they have no idea when it’s coming. There is a balance. Personally I think they should give us 2-3 months between announcements and pre-ordering. Gives people time to save or sell a pin etc to make the purchase and place the order.
Especially given the cost of their pins.

The argument against that is that there will be people that purchase the game immediately and others who will purchase it 2-3 months down the road while the game is still in production and market demand has not yet been met. This works out better than everyone waiting 2-3 months knowing it is coming and then waiting another 6 months to receive their game because of all the backlogged orders.

If 2-3 months is the notice you would like to receive, then you can order 2-3 months after it has been released and can still get a game then. You also won't have to wait as long.

#1004 5 years ago
Quoted from Zavadoza:

the rumor of what is next isn't a secret. The bigger missed opportunity is when you lose a lot of momentum on the excitement of your game due to a delayed release. These are impulse buys, not calculated investments (for the most part).

So if what is next really isn’t a secret, just tell us.

And, sorry, a $9k pinball machine isn’t an impulse buy for most people, certainly not me.

Missed opportunity/loss of momentum is not what it’s hyped up to be. Look at how Dialed In recovered after that disaster of an announcement.

#1005 5 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

So if what is next really isn’t a secret, just tell us.
And, sorry, a $9k pinball machine isn’t an impulse buy for most people, certainly not me.
Missed opportunity/loss of momentum is not what it’s hyped up to be. Look at how Dialed In recovered after that disaster of an announcement.

You just made my point. It would be nice to have the crystal ball of pinball purchases over the next year, but why do you need to know earlier if you can get the game later, like Dialed In? How much notice do you need? If your pinball budget is limited, you can make the argument for needing to know everything that will come out in the next 6 months, 1 year, or multiple years in advance. But if a game will be in production for at least 18 months from reveal to end of production (as is the case with Pirates oct 2017-march 2019), that gives you plenty of time to sell another game or raise funds. Everybody's budget is on a different time line and giving notice of the next title will never accommodate everyone and it will sandbag the money you might spend on the games that are currently available for sale.

Nobody likes waiting for something to come out. The excitement for it fades and you do lose out on potential customers. Momentum is important, as is selling the game that is currently out there. Dialed In isn't a great example, because it had negative/mixed reviews when it was revealed and slowly recovered, but it's only sold ~1,600 units or so. Pirates had a lot of canceled orders and other people bought IMDN and other pins because they got tired of waiting.

#1006 5 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Look at how Dialed In recovered after that disaster of an announcement.

Why do you consider the DI launch a disaster ? Is this the opinion of a few or some kind of established fact? I liked the way it was introduced, with first videos very early on, lots of discussion and buzz, getting to flip some balls on a prototype, some tweaks before final release. It certainly got me excited about the pin.

#1007 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

And yet you speculate again.
They still have to complete the remainder of the POTC games and then get the line ready for Wonka. Lawlor won't allow it to be a shit show with his name on it.
I agree that they can't/won't make the same mistakes of the past, that's why Wonka won't be at TPF.
BUT, i bet they show a mini preview of the game!

Are you the new gatekeeper and spokesman for JJP now? Do you have some personal relationship with Pat Lawlor or other people making decisions at JJP? Or are you just talking out our ass again?

#1008 5 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I’ll disappointed if all we hear about at TPF is YBR. How different can it be? It’s not new; it’s still WOZ.

Maybe it will be a black and white version of WOZ, that’s different .... JJP is bringing WOZ to TPF and Wonka will not be shown nor discussed.

47AE5AC2-CB0A-4BCA-8489-8E83D3D0C7F1 (resized).jpeg47AE5AC2-CB0A-4BCA-8489-8E83D3D0C7F1 (resized).jpeg

#1009 5 years ago

Based upon this, looks like Harry Potter is being done by Stern.

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/twip-tuesday-february-26th-2019/

So JJP couldn't be doing HP then.

#1010 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I hope not I believe only jjp could really bring that theme to life

#1011 5 years ago
Quoted from Schabs81:

I hope not I believe only jjp could really bring that theme to life

That's a pretty reliable source that would be in the know for stern, so I'd say JJP HP is very doubtful.

#1012 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Are you the new gatekeeper and spokesman for JJP now? Do you have some personal relationship with Pat Lawlor or other people making decisions at JJP? Or are you just talking out our ass again?

I leave the talking out of your ass BS to you

And yeah, I’m the new F ing spokesman. How about that?

And Pat Lawlor is my brother smart ass

#1013 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Mayhem is coming.pngMayhem is coming.png
#1014 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Wasn't on TWIP, so it didn't happen!

#1015 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I really hope not. Stern pins are fun but they won't do the theme justice and Stern HP LE will still cost $9k or more. There will be a bunch of "super wand ramps" and "super magical orbits" modes versus the deep and unique code that JJP has delivered with every one of their pins. If Lyman is on it I can see it being fun but would still prefer the JJP treatment for a HP pin.

#1016 5 years ago

Allentown Pinfest is probably one of the closest shows to JJP headquarters. JJP - give Allentown some love and do the Willy Wonka reveal at that show!

#1017 5 years ago
Quoted from Zavadoza:

I don't think the reveal has to be at a show. If you can get pinball streamers and podcasters present during the week of your release, the hype will be there.

Sony won't be at E3 at all this year. The era of show reveals has long ended. You can reach more eyeballs in a more controlled way and not need to compete with your competition for "who won the show" headlines.

It also liberates us (the fans/buyers) from having to wait for a show. The reveals can happen at any time.

#1018 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Sony won't be at E3 at all this year. The era of show reveals has long ended. You can reach more eyeballs in a more controlled way and not need to compete with your competition for "who won the show" headlines.
It also liberates us (the fans/buyers) from having to wait for a show. The reveals can happen at any time.

Yup good points. Nintendo has been doing this for years now with their Nintndo Directs. They are prerecorded so no chance of something being screwed up. A similar format could work well for a pinball reveal.

#1019 5 years ago

Why would JJP or any manufacturer announce plans early? Things change, hype fades, people get impatient, it hurts your current sales, and that info helps competition. The whole JJP POTC announcement was a disaster and exactly why you don't announce early. Features changed, people got upset, and hype fell completely flat during the year it took to get it to production.

#1020 5 years ago

Stern HP is a no-buy from me as it will never reach it's potential. That's not a Stern bash but just a fact.

#1021 5 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

Allentown Pinfest is probably one of the closest shows to JJP headquarters. JJP - give Allentown some love and do the Willy Wonka reveal at that show!

The office with the designers and coders is near Chicago. That is probably considered more engineering "headquarters". Production is in NJ. So MGC announcement?

#1022 5 years ago

If manufacturers are smart, and sometimes they surprise us and are, they will learn NOT to bring a game to a show that you are not ready to ship out the next week. CGC tried that with MB... hasn’t gone so well for regular LE purchasers. I think SteepRoute has a feeling about this and it is the reason they postponed their 5 days event at TPF imo. Revealing pins at shows works when you get it right, and when the pin is a real hit, and you have them for sale right away. You certainly don’t get to “win” the show Expo or TPF or anywhere else by taking a real dog to a pony show. Unless you want to really embarrass yourself. TBAG anyone?

#1023 5 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Stern HP is a no-buy from me as it will never reach it's potential. That's not a Stern bash but just a fact.

So true. I have some of the newest sterns but jjp needs this title.

#1024 5 years ago
Quoted from Calfdemon:

I brought HP back into it, although unintentionally. I didn't know I was bringing it back, because I did not see it really talked about previously... lol
I just brought it up to see what others may have heard about its positioning in the JJP lineup, not that I think it is one of the next couple coming out. And I only brought that up because I know for a fact that JJP holds the rights to HP and they acquired them about 2 years ago (or they did at least.. things may have changed since then). I personally know someone that was present when it happened at Warner Brothers Studios.

There sure does seem to be a lot of rumors flying around about Harry Potter...I wonder if any of them are true.

#1025 5 years ago

Whats this?

20190226_142343 (resized).jpg20190226_142343 (resized).jpg
#1026 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Whats this?
[quoted image]

likely the slot machine

#1027 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Whats this?
[quoted image]

Definitely not a JJP pin. That's not a linux loading screen, especially with the logo.

#1028 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Whats this?
[quoted image]

nice try, this is from the Willy Wonka coin pusher

x1080-q3G (resized).jpgx1080-q3G (resized).jpg
#1029 5 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

nice try, this is from the Willy Wonka coin pusher[quoted image]

I found that image so i was not sure. I'm sure someone has seen a proto type. Come on guys!!

#1030 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

That's a pretty reliable source that would be in the know for stern, so I'd say JJP HP is very doubtful.

Kaminkow is reliable, he also didn't say they have HP. He's just teasing everyone by saying "you never know" and "I believe it will happen one day" just like he believed the Beatles would.

#1031 5 years ago
Quoted from Zavadoza:

Kaminkow is reliable, he also didn't say they have HP. He's just teasing everyone by saying "you never know" and "I believe it will happen one day" just like he believed the Beatles would.

True. On the same hand if the IP was in JJPs hands, I don’t think he would have said what he did.

#1032 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

True. On the same hand if the IP was in JJPs hands, I don’t think he would have said what he did.

The source supposedly said it's being worked on by JJP, but not secured yet. So all that may be true. I feel like talking about it is jinxing it. Zach Sharpe, if you're reading this, please don't touch Harry Potter. I will keep buying Stern games, but this IP isn't for "strip it down and save a buck" Gary.

#1033 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I found that image so i was not sure. I'm sure someone has seen a proto type. Come on guys!!

I am sure people have, but those people are not likely to say or share things that are not yet to be be shared.

#1034 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Isn't he just really inferring it might be made...period? If JJP makes it, it's still been made.

#1035 5 years ago

I am sure people have, but those people are not likely to say or share things that are not yet to be be shared.

Like you?

#1036 5 years ago

Yes. People like me that have integrity and standards that they hold themselves to in order to go to bed each night with a clean and clear mind knowing that I didn't "reveal company secret" just to make my bottom line bigger. I'm sure if you dig far enough you'll find someone who will tell you something, but I'm not that person.

In the meantime, I really enjoy all the speculation that is here in this thread. Some of it is so far out there that I have had to read it over again.

Personally I wish I didn't know what I know. I would love to participate in the speculation and excitement that is being built up. I can wait for the reveal so I can discuss the game, but part of me want to enjoy that "Christmas morning" with everyone else.

#1037 5 years ago

Yes. People like me that have integrity and standards that they hold themselves to in order to go to bed each night with a clean and clear mind knowing that I didn't "reveal company secret" just to make my bottom line bigger. I'm sure if you dig far enough you'll find someone who will tell you something, but I'm not that person.
In the meantime, I really enjoy all the speculation that is here in this thread. Some of it is so far out there that I have had to read it over again.
Personally I wish I didn't know what I know. I would love to participate in the speculation and excitement that is being built up. I can wait for the reveal so I can discuss the game, but part of me want to enjoy that "Christmas morning" with everyone else.

Ha, I would rather know. Wish we could trade places.

#1038 5 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

Ha, I would rather know.

I'd rather not. And I never ask.

That way if anything leaks, wasn't me. I didn't know.

LTG : )

#1039 5 years ago

I too have seen pictures of the many sample games built, you will all see them soon.

and you will be surprised

#1040 5 years ago

I would not ask you to show any pics, i think its cool you have seen it. Thats all. I would just like to know like alot of us, the reveal date.

#1041 5 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

I too have seen pictures of the many sample games built, you will all see them soon.
and you will be surprised

Bs

#1042 5 years ago

that's fine I have 10 reasons not to post pics or reveal anything

you will see what I mean soon

#1043 5 years ago

Time to start thinking where and how to ship one of these babies home
Everyone need's a golden ticket, just need to find one.

#1044 5 years ago

I have pics too, you will all be excited. But I have 11 reasons not to post them. But trust me!

#1045 5 years ago

I don’t have any pics. Feel free to send them to me.

#1046 5 years ago

I don't have the pictures and I don't want them. I don't want to know. In fact I so strongly don't want to know that I wouldn't even open the pictures if they were sent to me. So if anyone has an urge to share what they know, but at the same time keep their integrity you could probably just send them to me. That way you satisfy the urge to share without the guilt. In a way it would be a mistake not to send the pictures to me.

#1047 5 years ago

I'll gladly look at some pics.

#1048 5 years ago

Are we talking Wonka or Potter here?

#1049 5 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

that's fine I have 10 reasons not to post pics or reveal anything
you will see what I mean soon

Quoted from f3honda4me:

I have pics too, you will all be excited. But I have 11 reasons not to post them. But trust me!

So this must mean that Wonka LE is going to cost either $10k or $11k!

#1050 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

So this must mean that Wonka LE is going to cost either $10k or $11k!

Jump the shark pricing will not be ideal for sales.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 90.00
There are 1,675 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 34.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-willy-wonka-next-from-jersey-jack-/page/21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.