210CF818-78CE-450E-AC94-F94B77AEFC5C (resized).jpeg
ww (resized).png
tJ ww (resized).jpg
tom-and-jerry-wizard-of-oz-post[1] (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190405-152058 (resized).png
E38A78B8-E018-43E8-AD8A-7C1DCEA56704 (resized).jpeg
i-just-cant-quit-you (resized).jpg
CECFBC5F-1A12-4E0A-A29A-639B29A49B8B (resized).png
There are 1,675 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 34.
#951 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The license is DONE in March. That's it. Jack pulled the plug versus re upping for another expensive 5 years.

Source?

#952 5 years ago

Ketchup

#953 5 years ago

A reliable one. You can believe it or not.

#954 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

JJP has milked the hell out of WOZ, because it sells. There's no way JJPOTC is a GOAT game if they are pulling the plug in March. I think it's obviously an OK game so far. Owners seem to love it. Never making JJPOTC again makes no sense and is just manufactured hype to get some more sales in on a machine with lack luster sales figures to date. If there is still demand 6 months from now, you can bet they will do another batch. So if you like the game, buy it. But don't buy it on emotion because you think they will be disappearing for good already.

It could make sense to stop production and move onto the next one if the game is too expensive to manufacture and there isn't enough margin for them. That's regardless on whether the game is better than the previous 3 or not

#955 5 years ago
Quoted from singapore_pin:

It could make sense to stop production and move onto the next one if the game is too expensive to manufacture and there isn't enough margin for them. That's regardless on whether the game is better than the previous 3 or not

Kind of a shame to kill a Top 4 game while it’s barely getting off the ground! Glad I have mine.

#956 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

A reliable one. You can believe it or not.

I see you’re buying one, leaning towards believing. Does the source have any info on a price jump for the next game?

#957 5 years ago

As you all know the guy who negotiated the POTC license without assets is gone, never again.
I think 1500 to 2000 POTC is a good run.
Move onto WOZYBR and Wonka, that's money in the bank

That's what will pay for the biggest license in Pinball, I will say no more

#958 5 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

The Blues Brothers yes !!!! ( just Wishful Thinking )sounds like Harry Potter could be a go .

#959 5 years ago

As you all know the guy who negotiated the POTC license without assets is gone, never again.

Harry Potter time! Sounds like Wonka, GNR, Toy Story and then possibly HP? Relessing two games a year would mean HP being announced at Expo 2020 for an early 2021 release.

Now I really don't know what to do in terms of buying my next pin. I just sold a Star Wars LE and I'm ready to buy another pin. I'm still leaning towards POTC next as it's an incredible pin even without actor audio and video.

#960 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Kind of a shame to kill a Top 4 game while it’s barely getting off the ground! Glad I have mine.

There has to be something else going on. You don't just dump a great theme/game and move on to another one without a legitimate reason(something smells fishy to me). I am not sure it has to do with licensing, usually licensing is based on number of machines produced and is paid per machine. Leads me to believe that they have had too many mechanical issues, poor sales, and they are trying to play catch up with recent loses to appease the investor group. Or what if Disney only wants to have one open license at a time for pinball? Could it be Toy Story being a Disney franchise wishes not to compete with other license(POTC) in concurrency? Let the conspiracy theories start because I am not buying what JJP is selling or telling about the abrupt decision to eliminate POTC production.

#961 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I am not sure it has to do with licensing, usually licensing is based on number of machines produced and is paid per machine.

I think you may be confusing licensing term with fee schedule. The term of a license is typically calendar based while payment terms are where you have a royalty per unit produced. While there may be clauses related to the number of units produced, these would not typically trump or be done in lieu of a calendar-based term.

I have no idea one why or another or how this agreement was structured.

#962 5 years ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

The term of a license is typically calendar based while payment terms are where you have a royalty per unit produced.

Yes usually certain time frame and certain royalties per machine produced. So if renewing license is too expensive then obviously they are not selling well enough to justify renewing? For how much time and effort went into the design build-I am really surprised on what is going on(again smells fishy). Honestly it is sad and I feel for all the people involved in the making of POTC.

#963 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Yes usually certain time frame and certain royalties per machine produced. So if renewing license is too expensive then obviously they are not selling well enough to justify renewing? For how much time and effort went into the design build-I am really surprised on what is going on(again smells fishy). Honestly it is sad and I feel for all the people involved in the making of POTC.

No, Pirates has sold very well from everything I've heard. LE's are sold out to distributors at this point as well. At the end of the day JJP can only produce X number of games at a time and spend so much on development, production, and licensing. I have no doubt that Pirates is one of JJP's most expensive games to produce to date.

Also, if JJP has gone after Willy Wonka, Toy Story and Harry Potter with the intent of securing licensed actor assets in the process I can see that contributing to not renewing the Pirates the license. There's only so much money a company is willing to spend on licensing.

#964 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

There has to be something else going on. You don't just dump a great theme/game and move on to another one without a legitimate reason(something smells fishy to me).

Imagine if in a year or three they did a POTC re-jig and just re-released the game as a generic pirate theme vault edition? Is there anything really stopping that? If the original gains a huge following I would think that'd be amazing. No one would really miss the limited POTC assets.

#965 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

There's only so much money a company is willing to spend on licensing.

Then why does JJP continue to renew WOZ license over and over again? Because it sells well enough to justify?

#966 5 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

No one would really miss the limited POTC assets

I have to agree, I think JJP probably would have sold more units and done better in terms of profitability if they just did a non-licensed Pirate's theme. Look at what Williams did back in the day: Monty Python-No too expensive let's just do Medieval Madness, Caddy Shack-no too expensive let's just do No Good Gopher's. Not sure if that is what really happened, but it does make me think.

#967 5 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Imagine if in a year or three they did a POTC re-jig and just re-released the game as a generic pirate theme vault edition? Is there anything really stopping that? If the original gains a huge following I would think that'd be amazing. No one would really miss the limited POTC assets.

I don't see it happening. The amount of work that has gone into the code, audio, and animations in Pirates is pretty remarkable. I can't see all of that work being recreated and a market for a $9500 generic Pirate themed pin. Even though licensed assets are limited in Pirates it still has drawn a lot of buyers to the game.

#968 5 years ago

anyone know when they're going to reveal the next unknown game

#969 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Then why does JJP continue to renew WOZ license over and over again? Because it sells well enough to justify?

I'm sure and the license agreement is also completely different as each are with different companies. It sounds like Disney can be rather difficult to work with when it comes to using their properties.

If Pirates sales were not great then LE's wouldn't be sold out to distributors. The game seems very well received and considered by many to be one of JJP's best pins to date. With JJP now having 4 titles under their belt and several on the way they are not going to be able to produce every one of them anymore. At some point assets (money and employees for development) need to be moved onto the next games.

#970 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Obviously because it sells well enough to justify. And I suspect licensing WOZ from Warner Brothers is a lot less expensive than licensing POTC from Disney.

#971 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

.I do believe every jjp game is GOAT.

hqdefault-1 (resized).jpghqdefault-1 (resized).jpg
#972 5 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Texas Pinball Festival March 22nd-24th.

#973 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

It’s probably dirt cheap compared to super expensive Disney. And I’m pretty sure this last run of 250 will be it.

#974 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The license is DONE in March. That's it. Jack pulled the plug versus re upping for another expensive 5 years.
As good as POTC may be, JJP simply has to move on and blow out Wonka, GNR and TS. Monster 2 years coming up for JJP imo

.. sound like if you were interested in buying one, you may have until the end of April to find one at a distributor. No rush but that’s eight weeks away.

#975 5 years ago

Yep. Onward and upward! JJP smart move as we know what the "biggest license is" Biggest grand slam in pinball.

#976 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

There has to be something else going on. You don't just dump a great theme/game and move on to another one without a legitimate reason(something smells fishy to me). I am not sure it has to do with licensing, usually licensing is based on number of machines produced and is paid per machine. Leads me to believe that they have had too many mechanical issues, poor sales, and they are trying to play catch up with recent loses to appease the investor group. Or what if Disney only wants to have one open license at a time for pinball? Could it be Toy Story being a Disney franchise wishes not to compete with other license(POTC) in concurrency? Let the conspiracy theories start because I am not buying what JJP is selling or telling about the abrupt decision to eliminate POTC production.

Really nothing else going on with POTC. It is what it is. And BIG titles are coming, including the biggest hopefully.

#977 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

that makes it sound like if you were interested in buying one, that you’ll have until the end of April from distributors probably. No rush, but you have about eight weeks then.

Well that's about right. Not sure which distros will keep stock, like Automated, but JJP is finally getting the "cadence" of new games rolling here.

#978 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I watched that last stream with JD and all the feedback has been great aside from the various tweaking issues
And this is the end of the line on Potc for good

Cool. I'm going to order an LE this week as well. I could wait for Wonka but then I could also wait for the next game, and the next game. Pirates is known today to be a great game and has everything I want in a pin. I'm also a fan of wide body pins and hearing that both Wonka and Toy Story are standard body games is a bit of a bummer. If Harry Potter is happening I'm sure it will be a wide body game.

#979 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Texas Pinball Festival March 22nd-24th.

I thought TPF was for WOZYBR. Not sure when the next unknown release will be revealed.

#980 5 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

I thought TPF was for WOZYBR. Not sure when the next unknown release will be revealed.

Whenever it’s ready to “release AND ship”

I’d say finish up POTC, get the line ready for Wonka and off we go!

My guess is May ish? Especially if two games are coming in 2019

#981 5 years ago

Yeah, I was thinking that the only thing to be announced at TPF would be WOZYBR, and then we'd hear about Wonka in a month or 2 afterwards....then maybe October/November for GnR? Who knows...

#982 5 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

You are right...I forgot about the eleventeenth version of WOZ coming first.

#983 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Whenever it’s ready to “release AND ship”
I’d say finish up POTC, get the line ready for Wonka and off we go!
My guess is May ish? Especially if two games are coming in 2019

Maybe they will show what ever is next at the Tacoma (Northwest Pinball) show at the end of May. Fingers crossed!

#984 5 years ago
Quoted from Capn12:

Yeah, I was thinking that the only thing to be announced at TPF would be WOZYBR, and then we'd hear about Wonka in a month or 2 afterwards....then maybe October/November for GnR? Who knows...

I’ll disappointed if all we hear about at TPF is YBR. How different can it be? It’s not new; it’s still WOZ.

#985 5 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I’ll disappointed if all we hear about at TPF is YBR. How different can it be? It’s not new; it’s still WOZ.

Prepare to be disappointed

#986 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It will be interesting to see how and when JJP reveals Wonka. Is there a show in May / June? Another idea is JJP doing a live stream directly from their office or even better have the entire reveal prerecorded Nintendo Direct style.

#987 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I am actually preparing to have a blast at TPF, mostly because I will be trying to play all the existing machines I have not played a lot of yet, or I have not played in a long time, as opposed to all the new machines I have never played before, don’t know how to play, and may end up walking away thinking, meh? Because thats what really happens at these shows... you get a couple or twenty games in on Oktoberfest and start wondering, why was the MBrLE so much more fun to play over at CGC’s booth? That was Expo for me last year. Now without 5 days of CheapSuit pinball, it should be a relaxing, fun filled show without too much drama... unless that is what people around here really want?!?

#988 5 years ago

See post #983 from an hour ago

#989 5 years ago
Quoted from arcadem:

See post #983 from an hour ago

There is also Pinfest, which is right in their backyard!

#990 5 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

There are few unknowns as upcoming pins are usually uncovered well before they're announced. So, probably...never?

#991 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

In JJP probably.

TPF - no way.

#992 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It will be interesting to see how and when JJP reveals Wonka. Is there a show in May / June? Another idea is JJP doing a live stream directly from their office or even better have the entire reveal prerecorded Nintendo Direct style.

Golden state is May 17-19
Tacoma show is end of May

#993 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

What pat L pin is cookie cutter? All his are fairly different .....

wasnt calling his designs cookie cutter. i am really hoping its one of his best. you are correct!

#994 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

What pat L pin is cookie cutter? ...

Depends how you look at it. They of course play totally diff'rent but most are very similar.

#995 5 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

In JJP probably.
TPF - no way.

No doubt, TPF will be a blast regardless.

#996 5 years ago

I don't know why everyone keeps posting over and over speculation the same thing again and again. Here is what I think is going to happen... Willy Wonka will be announced at TPF because LOGIC says it will.

I think JJ is trying not to repeat the mistakes of the past, they're going to announce the game within weeks of being able to ship the game.

Logic says announce at the biggest show, get the most buzz. Wouldn't logic tell you that if they're that close as some mention MAY or JUNE or even sooner that they have a working game right now?

So okay they don't bring it to TPF, who cares clearly everyone knows its coming.

I think you'd already see pictures of the game, if it wasn't for the backlash they got over prototypes of POTC.

I think we ruined seeing or hearing about things because of that backlash.

Willy Wonka I think will be announced when its basically done and about to go on the line for production.

Honestly I think this is the right way to go so they don't hear about what did or didn't make the game.

Stern brought a Beatles game with virtually no code to IAAPA, and Munsters you could win in 5 minutes to the consumer electronic show.

I don't think there is any harm in JJ bringing their next game to the biggest show even if its 2 months away.

#997 5 years ago

It's logical to do it at a show and create another dark night for Stern.
Unless it's like Dialed in AKA the worst reveal in modern history.

Sooo no idea

#998 5 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

I don't know why everyone keeps posting over and over speculation the same thing again and again. Here is what I think is going to happen... Willy Wonka will be announced at TPF because LOGIC says it will.

I think JJ is trying not to repeat the mistakes of the past, they're going to announce the game within weeks of being able to ship the game.

And yet you speculate again.

They still have to complete the remainder of the POTC games and then get the line ready for Wonka. Lawlor won't allow it to be a shit show with his name on it.

I agree that they can't/won't make the same mistakes of the past, that's why Wonka won't be at TPF.

BUT, i bet they show a mini preview of the game!

#999 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

It's logical to do it at a show and create another dark night for Stern.
Unless it's like Dialed in AKA the worst reveal in modern history.
Sooo no idea

That was one of those epic unforgettable WTF moments in pin history! Jaw dropper.

#1000 5 years ago

I don’t expect they will reveal Wonka at TPF but I think it would be a missed opportunity not to acknowledge it’s coming and do a preview.

I honestly believe there is no longer a benefit to the manufacturers playing their cards so close to the vest. Let everyone know what the short term release plans are going to be (planned order, not exact release dates) so ops and collectors can plan for which titles they will get. It could provide a competitive advantage by keeping cash on the sidelines that might otherwise go toward a competitor’s pin.

I can’t consider more than a game or two a year (for both money and space issues) and have to sell an established favorite to bring in a new game. If I know Toy Story is coming by early next year, Elvira 3 probably doesn’t get bought this fall.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

9,600 (OBO)
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.50
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 32.99
$ 91.00
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,000 (OBO)
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,675 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 34.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-willy-wonka-next-from-jersey-jack-/page/20?hl=drfrightner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.