(Topic ID: 175336)

Is Williams still hanging tough as far as current themes?

By o-din

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 65 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Otaku
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0595 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5169 (resized).JPG
    927205-worst_thread_ever_super (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    20160827_120714 (resized).jpg
    20160827_120648 (resized).jpg
    DSCN5169 (resized).JPG
    There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 7 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

A good game remains a good game
    sure, current machines have LCDs, multicolored LEDs, and expensive licenses.
    but they have no soul

And right you are..no soul.
    I got my wozecle and i was convinced it was the holy grail,but it felt wrong.
    All Stern stuff...it is shallow,not the rulesheet,but the connection between you and the machine.
    I like to believe they had actual wizards working at bally williams.
    Name me 1 pin that equals medieval madness...the humor,soul,feel,excitement..
    What was the magic ingredient at B/W??

#52 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinballrockstar:

What was the magic ingredient at B/W??

I think the 90s were a more magical time than some give it credit for. A lot happened in that decade beyond pinball. I know I was having a blast.

#53 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I think the 90s were a more magical time than some give it credit for. A lot happened in that decade beyond pinball. I know I was having a blast.

Hear hear! I still listen to music, watch movies, and (shocker!!) still play pinball from the 90s!

#54 7 years ago

Culture wise the 90s was one of my favorite decades. I also like the fact that pinball from all makers had no problem representing the times as they happened. And nobody cared if the movies were good or not, as the machines usually were.

#55 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'm not saying ones better than the other.
    What I am trying to say is if you lined up several Williams games and many of the recent games, to somebody outside the pinball world, it would be hard to tell which ones were actually the newest. So in that case, themewise Williams is indeed still hanging tough today.

Nobody would care
    The casual player only wants to have fun, easy to understand rules, good sounds, easy to reach muktiball

#56 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'm not saying ones better than the other.
    What I am trying to say is if you lined up several Williams games and many of the recent games, to somebody outside the pinball world, it would be hard to tell which ones were actually the newest.

I would suggest that's bullshit. It's pretty easy for people to tell which games are newer. I mean...just the LEDs alone make the difference, plus the fact that most of the games are licensed on current movies and TV shows. I have a room with 15 pinball machines, and NOBODY would have any trouble quickly picking out Iron Man as the newest one (there are 7 B/W 90s games there).

As far as the "secret ingredient" that made W/B games so good, it was the designers and software guys - almost all of whom currently work at Stern. That's why Stern is putting out so many good games and the boutiques are struggling to put out anything close.

#57 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

As far as the "secret ingredient" that made W/B games so good, it was the designers and software guys - almost all of whom currently work at Stern. That's why Stern is putting out so many good games and the boutiques are struggling to put out anything close.

Funny, the newer Sterns remind me more of Data East and Sega than Williams. I wonder why that could be.

#58 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Funny, the newer Sterns remind me more of Data East and Sega than Williams. I wonder why that could be.

It's all in your head. Although it seems you are having trouble dealing with pinball life after Barry Ouersler.

#59 7 years ago

Nothing wrong with Data East and Sega as you already mentioned some of their winners earlier, and nothing to do with design or theme, it's the feel of the machine that is what I find similar.

And Barry is the man!

#60 7 years ago

Ahhh, I have solved this thread

o-din is predicting the next Stern band game will be New Kids On The Block

#61 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Nothing wrong with Data East and Sega as you already mentioned some of their winners earlier, and nothing to do with design or theme, it's the feel of the machine that is what I find similar.
    And Barry is the man!

I like Barry's games. Generally underrated.

Obviously, Stern mechanics still have the DE in their DNA. The Sega games are cheap and horrible though and the Nothing Stern has put out since after Austin Powers has reminded me of that garbage.

#62 7 years ago

And I've got nothing against Stern or I wouldn't have one sitting next to my Oursler trio.

It's this damn cheap camera I have a problem with.

DSCN5169 (resized).JPGDSCN5169 (resized).JPG

#63 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The Sega games are cheap and horrible though and the Nothing Stern has put out since after Austin Powers has reminded me of that garbage.

South Park is a fantastic game from Sega. I've put plenty of coin through SP and still find it fun to play.

IMG_0595 (resized).JPGIMG_0595 (resized).JPG

#64 7 years ago

When I first found Twister on route, I found it was much more fun to play than the two B/W games that sat next to it. One TOTAN and Cactus Canyon. And I played it all the time. Had a decent one in my collection for a long time too. Seems the designer of that game is still making popular games today. Great movie too.

"Everybody under ground now!"

1 week later
    #65 7 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

You bought a Devils Dare off me a while back right? Aren't you under 22 years old, so you were born in the mid to late 90's? No idea how you know what is popular to "80's kids", but I am one of them. GB was a phase of sorts and I remember watching the movies, but I wasn't sitting around with my bros for the last few years before Stern ever released info on GB discussing the Ghostbusters movies, figurines or Slimer. Not a bad theme I will admit, but just not one I need, and I could think of 100 others I would have put into production before GB.

Came back to this thread after reading o-din's newest thread and saw your response. Maybe it's just you? You would not believe how many 30-60 year olds I have talk to me about Ghostbusters! Especially with the new movie that came out, it really riled up the fanbase and showed a bit more predominantly. There are tons of models, full-blown real cars of the ambulance, memoribilia, shirts, you name it, out there. From others I have talked to it seemed like a really strong point of the 80's among other things. Like I said before, maybe it was just you and your friends? Or rather, yeah, of course it's not something you would talk about anymore too often, but I'm talking about back then. It seems like a lot of people have a very strong connection to the franchise. Considering (as with another handful of different 80's things) there were cereals, drinks (Ecto-Cooler), a bunch of video games released, trading cards, etc., I'm not surprised it had such an impact!

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-williams-still-hanging-tough-as-far-as-current-themes/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.